Who Died Today?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's colder than that, now.

When DFW died, Chorozzo made a disrespectful comment, and I slowly willed him into the grave over it. I didn't love Prince less than I loved DFW.

jesus would somebody fucking just die already so we can get a break in the music snobbery here?

Posted Images

"You're not a man 'til you've pulled a tooth out with a pair of pliers." "This ain't a hamburger stand out here, y'know? This is the real deal and people really die." "Now you know why lions eat their young." (Phil commenting on the hand-coiling competition with son Jake.) "You go through a couple marriages, smoke cigarettes like it's going out of style, your body aches from the time you get up to the time you go to bed, and you wake up in the middle of the night thinking about where you're going to put the next pot. Yeah, it's a great lifestyle." "We cheated death one more time. I feel like a one-legged man in an a**-kicking contest." These were some quotes from Phil Harris from Discovery.com

But maybe Salinger would've seen promise in him and taken him under his wing and inspired him to greater things ultimately leading to Salinger re-entering society before dying a couple years later but not before instructing Matt Damon to inexplicably show up and give him Salinger's final works.
Well executed.
"Now you know why lions eat their young." (Phil commenting on the hand-coiling competition with son Jake.)
259350.jpg
Holy eff. Just read a book with a detailed history of Wilson's advocacy of sending arms and money to Afghanistan. I have quite a fair bit of dislike for the man.
I liked the movie Charlie Wilson's War.

Phil Harris. RIPPhil Harris, captain of TV’s ‘Deadliest Catch’ vessel, 53PHIL HARRIS PHIL HARRISANCHORAGE - Phil Harris, the fishing boat captain whose adventures off the Alaska coast were captured on the television show “Deadliest Catch,’’ has died, the Discovery Channel said Tuesday night. He was 53.Mr. Harris suffered what his family described as a massive stroke on Jan. 29, while the fishing vessel he captained, Cornelia Marie, was in port at St. Paul Island, Alaska. The fisherman was flown to Anchorage for surgery.The reality show, which has filmed five seasons, has been one of the Discovery Channel’s most popular. It depicts the crab fishing industry in the dangerous waters off Alaska.“It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad, Captain Phil Harris. Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end,’’ sons Josh and Jake Harris said in a statement released by the network. “For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down.’’In a statement, Discovery Channel senior vice president Elizabeth Hillman said: “Phil was a devoted father and loyal friend to all who knew him. We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor, and enormous heart.’’ Mr. Harris had seemed to be improving, and in a posting last Saturday on the ship’s website, he was described as “talking to friends and family today, showing his greatest progress’’ since the stroke.His sons wrote in a Feb. 3 posting: “No one ever said Captain Phil Harris wasn’t tough. Today, dad showed some good signs of improvement, squeezing our hands and even summoning his trademark Captain’s bluntness. . . . We are encouraged but still very cautious.’’According to the ship’s website, Mr. Harris started working on fishing boats at age 7 and began his career 10 years later on a crab boat. When he turned 21, he ran a fishing vessel out of Seattle, making him one of the youngest to captain a vessel in the Bering Sea.After Mr. Harris suffered the stroke a friend, Derek Ray, flew to St. Paul to take over the role of relief skipper for the rest of the opilio crab season.Mr. Harris’s fishing vessel was based in Seattle.

British designer Alexander McQueen. May only be of interest to those who post in the Project Runway thread.Forty years old, suicide by hanging. That sucks.

British designer Alexander McQueen. May only be of interest to those who post in the Project Runway thread.Forty years old, suicide by hanging. That sucks.
Such a huge loss for the fashion industry, he has been on top form the last few seasons. I will miss his collections in the years to come. He has always been on the cutting edge of design, providing innovation bordering on the provocative, and creativity bordering on the fantastical.Anna Paquin wearing one of his Spring 2010 designs last month: 19m.jpgI loved the psychadelic lizard prints he created in that collection. Not to mention the crazy shoes (not shown in the above, Anna is too sensible to wear them).

As long as we are posting about personal favorites who have passed, but nobody else knows the individual......Detroit area native Doug Feiger (Brother of Lawyer Geoffrey) passed away @ 57 from Cancer. He was the lead singer of the band The Knack. Strangely I was at the coffee shop this AM listening to Get the Knack for the first time in a long time and came home to read the news about Doug. For one of the most unappreciated guitar Solos, listen to My Sharona (the full length version). Doug wasn't lead on that, but I've always liked his somewhat twisted humor which comes thru throughout that entire album.

Such a huge loss for the fashion industry. He has always been on the cutting edge of design, providing innovation bordering on the provocative, and creativity bordering on the fantastical.
False!
story.fred.morrison.whamo.jpghttp://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/12/frisbee.m...?iref=allsearchSome mourners may bring Frisbees to Saturday's memorial service for Walter Fredrick "Fred" Morrison, who invented the flying disc. Morrison, 90, died this week at his home in Utah, said Jen Derevensky, a spokeswoman for Wham-O, the company that has sold the Frisbee since signing a contract with Morrison in 1957.
You liked it because it was written by Aaron Sorkin.
Well, that certainly makes sense. I didn't remember that he wrote it.I also liked The American President.I could see some version of this scene playing out if Wang was President (especially the bolded line):President Andrew Shepherd: You're attracted to me, but the idea of physical intimacy is uncomfortable because you only know me as the President. But it's not always going to be that way, and the reason I know that is there was a moment last night when you were with ME, not the President. And I know what a big step that was for you. So, Sydney, I'm in no rush. Here's my plan. We're going to slow down, and when you're comfortable, that's when it's going to happen. [sydney emerges from the bathroom wearing nothing but one of his shirts] President Andrew Shepherd: Perhaps I didn't properly explain the fundamentals of the slowdown plan. Sydney Ellen Wade: [feeling the bed] No, you explained it great. President Andrew Shepherd: Are you nervous? Sydney Ellen Wade: No. President Andrew Shepherd: Good. My nervousness exists on... several levels. Number one, and this is in no particular order, I haven't done this in a pretty long time. Number two, uh, any expectations that you might have, given the fact that I'm... you know... Sydney Ellen Wade: [approaching seductively] The most powerful man in the world? President Andrew Shepherd: Exactly, thank you. I think it's important you remember that's a political distinction that comes with the office. I mean, if, uh, Eisenhower were here instead of me, he'd be dead by now... and number three... Sydney Ellen Wade: Andy... Also, if we're assigning roles, I think I'd make a good Leon:Leon Kodak: [cut to conversation in progress] You see, the country has mood swings. Lewis Rothschild: Mood swings? Nineteen post-graduate degrees in mathematics, and your best explanation for going from a 63 to a 46 percent approval rating in five weeks is mood swings? Leon Kodak: Well, I could explain it better, but I'd need charts, and graphs, and an easel.Edit: I'm unaware of anyone in the above having died today. Just to be clear.
My nervousness exists on... several levels.
That's definitely the best line in the movie. It's so good; my roommates and I quote it all the time. Also, this one is pretty great: Perhaps I didn't properly explain the fundamentals of the slowdown plan.
As long as we are posting about personal favorites who have passed, but nobody else knows the individual......Detroit area native Doug Feiger (Brother of Lawyer Geoffrey) passed away @ 57 from Cancer. He was the lead singer of the band The Knack. Strangely I was at the coffee shop this AM listening to Get the Knack for the first time in a long time and came home to read the news about Doug. For one of the most unappreciated guitar Solos, listen to My Sharona (the full length version). Doug wasn't lead on that, but I've always liked his somewhat twisted humor which comes thru throughout that entire album.
This...RIP, Doug. You wrote some great pop.