The New V Blog Is Up

I'm not aplogizing for that skit for even a second. Not for a second. You are totally overreacting. As for whether or not "I care" the reason this blog wasn't up days ago was because I screened it with an audience before releasing it. Yes, a black audience. Not one of them had anything negative to say about it.
did you screen it with a pot smoking audience? cuz i smoke a lot of pot, and i was horribly offended. horribly. offended.i hate you.
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Daniel, I think your impression was very impressive. However, with all due respect, I am surprised that you don't seem to be appreciating why you generated the reaction you did with it. And since yo

?

Of course I care. Of course my plan was to wear a full costume that made me look like a jamacian man named Dexter. No different than what you see in films and skits on MadTV or SNL. Would you equally offended by White Chicks?
before you put on a costume, you should consider the implications of your actions. put that costume in historical context; don't compare yourself to current actors in today's entertainment. that's part of the problem: people continue to perpetuate the minstrel shows of the 1800s in the 21st century. there's just no place for it. white chicks included (chappelle has even crossed the line, which is why he cancelled his show).
before you put on a costume, you should consider the implications of your actions. put that costume in historical context; don't compare yourself to current actors in today's entertainment. that's part of the problem: people continue to perpetuate the minstrel shows of the 1800s in the 21st century. there's just no place for it. white chicks included (chappelle has even crossed the line, which is why he cancelled his show).
just leave..please
I'm not aplogizing for that skit for even a second. Not for a second. You are totally overreacting. As for whether or not "I care" the reason this blog wasn't up days ago was because I screened it with an audience before releasing it. Yes, a black audience. Not one of them had anything negative to say about it.
yes, your 2 black friends speak for the entire population. or 10 black friends. or 20. whatever the number, you couldn't have taken a large enough sample size to really think you'd know how the entire black populous would react.everyone is entitled to their opinion, and not all black people share mine. personally i think you crossed a line, and if you want to trivialize the notion of blackface in your skit, then you really didn't understand the message that spike lee was trying to send in bamboozled.
Ok, with all due respect, seriously and genuinely, we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I can totally understand your point and respect the fact that it's a sensitive issue. I have a different point of view on humor. It's my belief that if we can laugh at ourselves and others it lightens the mood and makes us less uptight about these sensitive issues. Again, I actually am sorry that it struck a chord with you, but understand those were never my intentions. Also, while I respect your opinion, I disagree with this skit being offensive and I did screen it, as I said, with a black audience first.
that wasn't even remotely funny. at all.where the hell do you get off putting on blackface, daniel? do you have any idea how offensive that is? you try to sound all righteous in your blog about how you're not racist, and then you go and do something like this? what the hell were you thinking? ya know i always respected you as an honest individual who wasn't afraid to speak his mind, but now you just look like a white boy from canada who has no sense of american history. (for a history lesson, go watch spike lee's bamboozled.)
wow, just wow. got smoke some herb and calm down. if you think this was in any way racist you're just looking for reasons to spout off and not looking for the real interpretation of what you saw.
Ok, with all due respect, seriously and genuinely, we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I can totally understand your point and respect the fact that it's a sensitive issue. I have a different point of view on humor. It's my belief that if we can laugh at ourselves and others it lightens the mood and makes us less uptight about these sensitive issues. Again, I actually am sorry that it struck a chord with you, but understand those were never my intentions. Also, while I respect your opinion, I disagree with this skit being offensive and I did screen it, as I said, with a black audience first.
true enough. i can laugh at myself. hell i can laugh at you laughing at me. but i cant laugh at blackface, no matter who's doin it. i think there has to be a certain level of understanding before we can collectively move on and put something behind us. and trust me...we aint there yet.
true enough. i can laugh at myself. hell i can laugh at you laughing at me. but i cant laugh at blackface, no matter who's doin it. i think there has to be a certain level of understanding before we can collectively move on and put something behind us. and trust me...we aint there yet.
I actually agree with you 100% on that. I don't think there is any place for blackface either. Obviously I don't feel that this skit was blackface. Anytime you see a white man playing a black man, or vice versa, make up is a part of the deal. My wife isn't an expert in make up and did the best she could. I think she should have gone with lots more brown, but I don't think she's a racist.
I actually told her to just use the brown, but I guess she didn't hear me or something. I thought it was too dark, but it wasn't blackface. Besides, blackface is a racist form of entertainment when actual black people were forced to paint their faces black. The face paint was too dark, but it was in no way blackface.
dude. it was 100% blackface. funny or not, take the heat you deserve for this one. seriously. (hint: you deserve it.)

Eddie Murphy dressing up in a suit, tie, and whiteface makeup, exposing all the white devil's ways of excluding the black man from all the benefits we whiteys enjoy as a race (free newspapers, beverage service and dancing girls on public transportation, tax free bank loans requiring no paperwork whatsoever...the list goes on) was terribly offensive to me and my delicate sensibilities (or as I like to call them, my "feelings" posse). When you're done with the soapbox, I'd love a turn. 84iwhite2.jpgOr we could all just lighten the hell up...

In no way did I see any racial issues with it...but it was funny?What?I was thinking embarrassing (no offense on your character meant, of course)... and was hard to finish watching. What was I supposed to notice that I didn't?

the difference between murphy's sketch and daniels is that there is a long history of blackface minstrel shows that were less than less than savorycheck out just the montage segment from history from Bamboozled and see if you still agreeI don't have a huge problem with dan's ethnic impressions but heh he's probably not invited to spike lee's thanksgiving dinner anytime soonnevertheless i think we can agree that weed humor and his mom is always good fun

Dn,I know you thought it was all in jest, but the sooner you take that video off the world wide web, the sooner you can to sleep. I am surprised your phone and email aren't blowing off the hook. I am not going to get into the deep sociological reasons why a white person doing blackface is ALWAYs over the line, but rest assured, you have NEVER seen it performed as a "skit" on SNL or Madtv, and for good reason. Eddie Murphy can dress up as a white dude, and the Wayans can dress up as some white chicks, but trust me on this, a white NEVER has any reason to do blackface, NEVER. Just please yank the video before you lose the ability to make money from endorsements and the like.