The New V Blog Is Up

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Daniel, I think your impression was very impressive. However, with all due respect, I am surprised that you don't seem to be appreciating why you generated the reaction you did with it. And since yo

?

that wasn't even remotely funny. at all.where the hell do you get off putting on blackface, daniel? do you have any idea how offensive that is? you try to sound all righteous in your blog about how you're not racist, and then you go and do something like this? what the hell were you thinking? ya know i always respected you as an honest individual who wasn't afraid to speak his mind, but now you just look like a white boy from canada who has no sense of american history. (for a history lesson, go watch spike lee's bamboozled.)
Daniel's been doing this kinda standup for years. He has done imitations of many ethnicities, including his own. See his vlog dated 7/20/2006 http://fullcontactpoker.com/video_diary/index.php?p=2 He obviously thought it would be neat to take the characters to another level and add costumes. It is as innocent as that. Like he has said in response to your comments "I actually am sorry that it struck a chord with you, but understand those were never my intentions" Accept this as truth and move on. The rest of us will continue to enjoy his attempt at making his vlog more than just about hand history's and tournament results.

I guess I'm not quite clear on something here- Is it offensive because he wore make up to make himself black or was it the tone of makeup he used. (Would it still be considered blackface if he had used a color that was not so dark?) Not trying to make a point here, just looking for clarification. Is it considered offensive anytime a white person puts on makeup to make himself appear black?

As has already been pointed out, the larger issue here is one of historical context. In the past, white actors have usually (Dan Ackroyd excepted for the moment) donned blackface in order to mock African-Americans and highlight negative stereotypes. This has served to underscore racial oppression in this country. The analogy cannot be made to black comedians painting themselves white as this has ordinarily been a comedic attempt to speak out against such oppression. I am a fan of Daniel's efforts - both comedic and in the world of poker - but I found it uncomfortable to even watch this "skit".I certainly concede that Daniel did not intend his actions to be interpreted in such a context, but the dialogue of race in this country is so fragile that public figures need to be more aware of the consequences of their actions. The best result would be for this video blog to disappear.Daniel has made a concerted effort to be an outspoken figure in the world of poker, and usually for the right reasons. If, as is clear, this effort has offended people, he should be sensitive to that. He should also be aware that the historical context of racial prejudice in the U.S.A. makes certain actions suspect regardless of their intent.

Daniel, your impressions are really good. I remember that video of yours when you did everyone at the final table of that one tournament.. on a boat I think it was. Love the Scotty Nguyen sp? impression, He's such a character. You had the laugh down. Just need to throw a few more "baby"s in and mabye "All you can eat baby" and "Thats no limit baby"

Hello all. DN's use of face paint is 'regrettable', to use political speak. But he was parodying a Jamaican, not some African-American slave or 'boy'. The character is supposedly the greatest poker player ever.Sorry to hear that some African Americans, and seemingly most White americans, are upset by this skit. I've counted 2 Black people on this thread(sorry to anyone i missed). Chris is offended - that's his right. Chrozzo is not offended- and found it amusing.I'd bet that most on the thread are white PC Americans.well this non-PC Jamaican found it funny. And I've sent this video to some Jamaican friends to hear their response - without prejudice. 4 so far replied and 3 found it very amusing(but mostly didn't get the poker stuff), 1 said a white guy shouldn't use the face paint - funny enough SHE'S BEEN LIVING IN AMERICA FOR THE LAST 18 YEARS.If that's what PC brings, leave me out. A truly relaxed racial climate involves equality - not segregated behaviours. America has a long way to go yet.Anyway, Dexter could never beat me at dominoes...

Well, I guess I'll have to scrap the gay character that was planned next. I might end up offending too many STRAIGHT people, lol.
:club: not me girlfriend

I can't believe anyone was offended by that. It was a jamacan.... The old blackface things, made blacks out to look bad and were very stereotypical and derogatory towards blacks in america. You were doing a Jamacan, and not in any derogatory sense. I don't see where the problem is? That's what some of them sound like. You weren't saying anything bad. I think people may be confusing stereotyping and racism. THE DEFINITION OF RACISM1.THE BELIEF THAT A PARTICULAR RACE IS SUPERIOR TO OTHERs2.DISCRIMINATION OR PREJUDICE BASED ON RACEDaniel was no where near either of those. Seriously people.. Relax a little. Daniel likes to do impressions, he isn't saying anything bad about anyone

I can't believe anyone was offended by that. It was a jamacan.... The old blackface things, made blacks out to look bad and were very stereotypical and derogatory towards blacks in america. You were doing a Jamacan, and not in any derogatory sense. I don't see where the problem is? That's what some of them sound like. You weren't saying anything bad. I think people may be confusing stereotyping and racism. THE DEFINITION OF RACISM1.THE BELIEF THAT A PARTICULAR RACE IS SUPERIOR TO OTHERs2.DISCRIMINATION OR PREJUDICE BASED ON RACEDaniel was no where near either of those. Seriously people.. Relax a little. Daniel likes to do impressions, he isn't saying anything bad about anyone
Thanks for that. I used it in my blog.
Wow I guess this is the last time DN is going to try to be funny in a video blog... thank god.
FYP
Well, I guess I'll have to scrap the gay character that was planned next. I might end up offending too many STRAIGHT people, lol.
Ok, now you're winning me back. This I want to see and will defend you to the death if you do this one.
Thanks for that. I used it in my blog.
You're welcome man... I just know it's gotta be hard to be in a position like yours where every little thing you say and do is analyzed and criticized. It's like people are just lurking in the shadows waiting to take things the wrong way. haha

Ahosang- I am glad that you were not offended, and I agree with you that America has a long way to go. I also note that for all your calls for equality, you are just as busy as everyone else playing identity politics. It should not matter whether one is black or white if one is offended by this. You criticise a certain use of "political correctness," but it is this same definition of "PC" that would give one group a greater legitimacy to criticize something as offensive.This is potentially offensive to Americans of all types precisely because of the history of race relations in our country.

So using blackface to stereotype Jamaicans isnt wrong because it involves Jamaicans and not Africans? Weed, corny accents, makeup, dominoes and dreads............hmmm, and we're not stereotyping? Nice try. I call bullsh*t on this one.

This is not a big deal. I will protest and say that I would like to see DN try on flamer- that would(maybe)be funny. Do it on rollerblades,with cuttoff jean shorts hot pants style and a t shirt tied to the side that is to small that says "Choose ****." I could get behind that.

So using blackface to stereotype Jamaicans isnt wrong because it involves Jamaicans and not Africans? Weed, corny accents, makeup, dominoes and dreads............hmmm, and we're not stereotyping? Nice try. I call bullsh*t on this one.
Who ever said there was anything wrong with sterotyping? If you are going to imitate a character from a particular culture, in order for people to know what the heck you are doing you need to have some identifying characteristics. Racism is the bad thing, and Derogatory Stereotyping is bad. Plus I know from pretty much all of your past posts, that you pretty much do nothing but bring negativity to this forum and criticize Daniel at every opportunity.
It's still a stereotype but the key is intent.
There is a difference here. Just like black people can call one another the N word, _______ people can make fun of their own also.Wow, now I'm a comedian too.

Tyler-With your concern for definitions, you should be aware that the term derogatory stereotype is redundant. Stereotypes are derogatory by definition: "a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing". Unless of course, you meant: "a relief printing plate cast in a mold made from composed type or an original plate".

Brothers and sisters, if you think DNs blog was very racist, you need to get out more. You can argue that it wasn't funny, or that it was in bad taste, or that it was just an odd enterprise from start to finish, but I don't think you can start to label DN. You can even be offended by it. Most people, though, seem to be offended by proxy. If you're one of the ones who is offended because you think someone else will be offended... roll yourself a spliff and RELAX.Oh, the immortal lyrics of "Avenue Q" - a show you should see, whether you were offended or not.Everyone's a little bit racistIt's true.But everyone is just aboutAs racist as you!If we all could just admitThat we are racist a little bit,And everyone stopped beingSo PCMaybe we could live in - Harmony!

There is a difference here. Just like black people can call one another the N word, _______ people can make fun of their own also.
To my knowledge, Daniel doesn't "make fun of" anybody. (One definition of "make fun of" is to "to make a joke about someone or something in an unkind way."http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/make+fun+of )
Wow, now I'm a comedian too.
No. Daniel's funny; you're not.
Tyler-With your concern for definitions, you should be aware that the term derogatory stereotype is redundant. Stereotypes are derogatory by definition: "a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing". Unless of course, you meant: "a relief printing plate cast in a mold made from composed type or an original plate".
"A widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing." Hmmm... where does that sound like derogatory?DEROGATORY1. DESPARAGING;BELITTLEDEROGATE1. TO TAKE AWAY; DETRACT2. TO DISPARAGE; BELITTLEI'm sorry, but you're wrong. I'm sorry for you, because you think you're right as well.Daniel did nothing to belittle or desparage the Jamacan Race.Obviously he wanted it to be politically correct as well, because he screened it before releasing it. People who have a problem with it are just way too uptight.