The New V Blog Is Up

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Daniel, I think your impression was very impressive. However, with all due respect, I am surprised that you don't seem to be appreciating why you generated the reaction you did with it. And since yo

?

If you are confident in your impression..no makeup needed...end of story..no one needs to see the blackface for a good jamaican impression just like he doesnt need to look asian when doing scottyhe was just trying a little too hard , I think. But as a public figure he needs to think...Look at what Ted Danson went thru dressing in "costume/blackface" to roast Whoopie Goldberg at the Friars...He got totally hammered...And he was dating her and she helped him put on the damn makeup...lol...The fact he meant nothing by it is not in question, of course he didnt...the lack of thought process in putting this and some other written blogs out there certainly brings a collective "what was he thinking"
I mean, that's fine I guess. I'm not really for or against using "paint" to change one's appearence. I just thought it was something done in entertainment to help actors get into 'character'...even if those characters were created by society.I've skimmed some of his recent blogs and I know they are quite opinionated...I was just trying to understand what about this sketch was so upsetting, and if it just because of the facepaint...or his "lack of thinking", then I think a whole lot more in the world and american society could be questioned, yet we don't anyways.I don't get offended at this kinda stuff as easily (chapelle doing the whiteface? lol is that the term). Is it because I'm white? I suppose I'll never know, or truly understand, cause I havn't been oppressed. But I do want to understand more...but again, if 'blackface' is this upsetting, and we want to rid ourselves of these outer appearenced views...then also we need to rid of white face, asian face, latino/hispanic face, gay face, etc face, right?that's what you would say?- Jordan
Interesting stats you have. You should write a blog.
You have no idea how many dislikes bush do you, are you uninformed on how badly he has messed up all foreign relations, have you ever been abroad?USA is about 300million in population. The world is 6.4 billion. Half of usa likes bush, 150million (more like 100million nowdays)So i wouldnt be suprised if out of the remaining 6.1billion ATLEAST 80% dislikes bush, more like 90%+ anyway.Dont you like my reasoning on why ATLEAST 90% of the world have a hatred for bush and his policies? If so please state why.
but again, if 'blackface' is this upsetting, and we want to rid ourselves of these outer appearenced views...then also we need to rid of white face, asian face, latino/hispanic face, gay face, etc face, right?that's what you would say?- Jordan
It's because of the historical significance of Blackface minstrel shows at the turn of the century and their role is the oppression and degradation of African Americans. If their were a such thing as 'Asianface' shows then the same standard would apply.That's the only reason why this COULD BE found offensive to some.I'm not passing judgement on the issue, but I can see where those who are criticizing it are justified.
You have no idea how many dislikes bush do you, are you uninformed on how badly he has messed up all foreign relations, have you ever been abroad?USA is about 300million in population. The world is 6.4 billion. Half of usa likes bush, 150million (more like 100million nowdays)So i wouldnt be suprised if out of the remaining 6.1billion ATLEAST 80% dislikes bush, more like 90%+ anyway.Dont you like my reasoning on why ATLEAST 90% of the world have a hatred for bush and his policies? If so please state why.
So now its 80%, or is it 90+%...whats 610 million people more or less...China not happy with the exports? India not happy with the outsourced labor? Does that include poeple who can't read, or people who couldn't recognize a picture of him if they were shown? Can someone say they don't like Bush because they just "heard" it or do they actually have to come up with 3 reasons why or be discounted from voting no?
It's because of the historical significance of Blackface minstrel shows at the turn of the century and their role is the oppression and degradation of African Americans. If their were a such thing as 'Asianface' shows then the same standard would apply.That's the only reason why this COULD BE found offensive to some.I'm not passing judgement on the issue, but I can see where those who are criticizing it are justified.
that's what I figure. I mean, obviously those minstrel shows, or whatever they were called, had to of been incredibly racist, drew upon racial stigmas and stereotypes of African Americans and made fun of them liberally.I think comparing that to what DN "did" is a little extreme, as I don't think he was stigmatizing (if that is the correct usage) one part of the Jamican culture, or a stereotype. Although, I suppose some could argue that the hair and all that is indeed going over the top? I don't really know. Perhaps my views are totally biased, but I thought it was just a character, one like scotty, that was drawn probably from a personal relationship, or meeting, of some Jamican friend(s). Not based off a stereotype and how he views all Jamican's to be.Just like Chapelles white face. Most of his white faced characters are incredibly biast, discrimanitory, or racist in their attitudes and comments...but we as viewers know (unless you are stupid) that he does not view all white people in such a matter. It is simply a form of entertainment, but one he also uses to promote some social commentary.I'm not trying to argue, and I dont think any of my posts have come off that way, as they shouldn't...I'm simply trying to understand better...I think I have...I got a ton of school work I need to get to, so adios.- Jordan
but again, if 'blackface' is this upsetting, and we want to rid ourselves of these outer appearenced views...then also we need to rid of white face, asian face, latino/hispanic face, gay face, etc face, right?
bro, blackface is extremely offensive because it has a historical racist precedent. there was a time in our country's not-too-distant past when white actors put dark make-up on their face for the sole purpose of being the butt of ridicule. it was there for the purpose of overt racism, pure and simple. chapelle is purposely attempting to subvert that historical precedent by appearing in 'whiteface'.
bro, blackface is extremely offensive because it has a historical racist precedent. there was a time in our country's not-too-distant past when white actors put dark make-up on their face for the sole purpose of being the butt of ridicule. it was there for the purpose of overt racism, pure and simple. chapelle is purposely attempting to subvert that historical precedent by appearing in 'whiteface'.
right, I understand that...and I see why it is offensive.My point was with 'getting rid' of all faces was kind of in jest, as that obviously is not possible today. Race is something that people cannot avoid judging people by...but in a ideal society, those outer differences, which is all they are, would be ignored.that was my point. I get why it's offensive and I'm not trying to argue that it is not offensive.- Jordan
Just be ready for the backlash from the Mexicans, I saw that Corona your mom was drinking...
Yeah, thank the ole Beans for persuading Whole Foods Market for stocking that...Ever wonder why a health food store stocks Corona?yw
So now its 80%, or is it 90+%...whats 610 million people more or less...China not happy with the exports? India not happy with the outsourced labor? Does that include poeple who can't read, or people who couldn't recognize a picture of him if they were shown? Can someone say they don't like Bush because they just "heard" it or do they actually have to come up with 3 reasons why or be discounted from voting no?
I'm not trying to be an arse but I am wondering why people like you even read the blog or visit this site? I don't think a week goes by where you or similar folk come on here to lash a diatribe against something that was said in DN''s blog. Do you do this to other well known people as well? Or is this just an outlet for your opinions? Perhaps you could start a blog where every week you post your feelings in regards to something DN has said in his and then simply make a post with a link here instead of spending so much time just looking to be in an e-arguement. As for the video I didn't find it offensive. Then again I don't find much offensive. To me in order to find this offensive one should look at the intent and I really don't think anything was intended here. I find if funny how so many people's barometers on humour change from one issue to the next. You see this all over this site in different topics where the same people who are posting jokes or pics about midgets or the overweight are taking issue with posts containing jokes on race or disability. I find humour in pretty much anything unless its specifically intended in mean spirited way.
I'm not trying to be an arse but I am wondering why people like you even read the blog or visit this site? I don't think a week goes by where you or similar folk come on here to lash a diatribe against something that was said in DN''s blog. Do you do this to other well known people as well? Or is this just an outlet for your opinions? Perhaps you could start a blog where every week you post your feelings in regards to something DN has said in his and then simply make a post with a link here instead of spending so much time just looking to be in an e-arguement. As for the video I didn't find it offensive. Then again I don't find much offensive. To me in order to find this offensive one should look at the intent and I really don't think anything was intended here. I find if funny how so many people's barometers on humour change from one issue to the next. You see this all over this site in different topics where the same people who are posting jokes or pics about midgets or the overweight are taking issue with posts containing jokes on race or disability. I find humour in pretty much anything unless its specifically intended in mean spirited way.
You know intent is 9/10 of the law. oh wait.
I see where this has bled over into the other forums. Doesn't look good. He's getting blasted really bad on most of them.
Daniel gets blasted for saying Joe Hachem is a good player.People on those forums tend to be a little... what's the word.

Again... was this actually funny to people?Go watch Half-Baked for Jamaican weed jokes... I don't understand what was amusing about this V-blog :club:

Again... was this actually funny to people?Go watch Half-Baked for Jamaican weed jokes... I don't understand what was amusing about this V-blog :club:
I didn't find it that funny either. I'm from the south, something like that can get you into a world of $hit down here. I know Daniel wasn't being a racist, or being malicious. But, whether it is offensive or not?. It probably is to a lot of people. Some see it as humor, some see it as racism.

DN in blackface..............amusing I'm sure. WTF was he thinking. Wasn't funny in the least, not even referring to the blackface aspect. Stick to poker, and leave the supposed comedy alone. Couldn't even finish watching the video. Try to think before you do something so stupid next time.

I'm having so much trouble believing this. I'm not surprised that people would be offended by blackface...but that the whiners don't seem to understand that this wasn't it. Oh well. At least we can all agree that the accent was impressive.Once more, I'll refer you to a white man dressing as a Jamaican...NOT blackface.f_nieoczekiwana_zmiana_miejsc_2006_02_01.jpg