I Called In Sick Today

As much as I wish it wasn't the case, having much more than basic loyalty to a company, to the point of affecting your ability to better yourself with another position in another company, is not a smart business decision in this day and age.The fact is that it is the rare case where a company is going to show it's employees the same type of loaylty that good employees feel they need to show.The bottom line is that most companies care only about the bottom line. They will make decisions that are best for the company and it's bottom line with littleto no consideration of the impact on a group of employees, much less an individual employee. Employers always expect more from their employees than they give back.It's not necessarily wrong, it's just the way businesses are run. They hold the power and, in most cases, employees are nothing more than a replacable piece of the puzzle. Managements job is to deliver results, namely on the bottom line. Strats employer is case in point. Why pay someone the prevailing wage to do the IT job he's doing if they can get away with paying what he's making as a teller.I'm not being a cynical business basher. I'm just saying that, as employees, you need to understand that your employer, in most situations, is not going to show youmuch more than cursory loyaly. So when you have the opportunity to talk with another employer about a job that offers you you the opportunity to better yourself, you are doing yourself a disservice not to pursue it. And you should have not the slightest hint of guilt for doing so.Voice of experience on both sides regards,

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

is that town abandoned imowhy are there no cars or people
IT'S WINTER! Why don't you show me a picture of Chicago at night in January, so we can see all the people just hanging out.Also: I heard the good news! Keep it up!
I didn't realize there was a lot of money in that outside of books and movies.
Oh yeah, plenty if you are good at it. The things she writes now got her company over $50M last year. She also does freelance writing for a 3 magazines. They pay her like $550 for 1500 words that takes her an hour to maybe and hour and a half to write. Writing is a good gig if you are good at it. She has the ability to write about things she really knows nothing about. When I started dating her she was writing articles for a bowling magazine and some spot work for a NASCAR magazine. She still to this day doesn't know much about either "sport".
"obligatory, they live in Detroit, they bought a 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom house for $28,000 joke"
We rent. The next house we buy will be in a different state. We still have a plan on getting out soon after Jin gets here. So right now we are renting in a very posh city in Metro Detroit. I get some crude looks from some of my tenants when they found out where I am now living. We laugh because the 2 houses ago we had a hilbilly family across the street who sat outside all day on their white plastic chairs, little swimming pool for the grandchildren, and the oldest son getting the police called on him all the time. (Best time was when he was running down the street with a bat in his hand chasing the ice cream truck).Then the next house was nice except for the neighbor to our left who was an ex convict, never wore a shirt, was fat and covered in tatoos, had a big purple Dodge Ram 4 Wheeler that needed a ladder extension added to get in the truck, and had a hot tub out back and had fatties there every weekend.Now we live on a nice street where our 2010 and 2011 Honda's look out of place with the ZR1 Corvette, the 3 Mercs, the Audi A8, the guy with the Ferrari and the other 10 or so Lexus' and such. We are now the hilbillies and love it! lol
I didn't know you were married to SouthernBhuddist.
You know there are some similarities there. My wife does have an obsession with Jepoardy. She never got on though but has been on the short list to wait for a call a couple seasons ago. But the main difference is that my wife doesn't act like a fancy schmancy writer who seems to know everything. She is pretty low key on that. I think the self loathing helps in that regard. Ha. She is a simple woman who enjoys reading and loves to watch football on Sundays. I can't complain much about that. The main complaint I would have is her love of baseball is a little excessive. I can't watch EVERY game all season like she can.
douche or no douche? the guy who complains about his wife loving baseball?
I don't know if douche is the right word but I am sure there is a better negative word that would fit me. But sorry, I can't watch all 162 televised Tigers games. I just can't. 100? Maybe, but I do want to go out once in awhile in the summer at night.
You need to work on your hook shot.
I don't understand this.
What do you mean by loyalty?
In this context I mean making decisions with the well being of the employees in mind if said decision in any way negatively affects the company. As opposed to employee's who very often feel an intense loyalty to a company, don't want to put anyone out, lie, call in sick when their not etc... in order to be able to go on outside interviews that could further their career. I'm not picking on Strat. What he said, and Shake too to a lesser degree, is, in my experience, how most employees feel. There is still some nostalgic belief that if you show up early, work hard, stay late, eat-sleep-breathe the company that they will reward you with a lifelong job, pension and security. We want to feel that way because it helps us have a sense of security as we grow, start a family, buy a house and cars etc... that we'll have that job so we can pay all those bills.My point is that employee loyalty is misplaced and naive in most cases. You need to always be looking out for yourself when it comes to your personal career advancement and always have one eye out so that if an opportunity to advance is available elsewhere, you don't miss out. Companies care about themselves and their goals, so should you. Sometimes your goals can be met where you are and sometimes you have to move on to reach them. Either way you need to look out for your best interests because nobody else is going to.
Suited,The most important legal job I ever got (had? received? I don't know) was a result of an initial failed interview where they "said they would keep my resume on file". They called me out of the blue a year later saying they had this big case and they needed tons of immediate help. Went in for another interview and was hired on the spot. Had that associate position for 14 months then bolted for an in-house position.So, yeah, it's MOSTLY bullshit, but I would check in with this person in 6 months just in case.
I agree with this. Same thing happened to me once, and I would also recommend you calling her.
Winter-Wonderfest.jpgIT IS A WINTER WONDERLAND OKHey, man, I've never been shot...yet.
We have one of those too...4413068927_c1fe25134b.jpg(although your photographer was better)pps: Jack was right:kerouacmodelgx.jpgjust ask Napa and his stable of bitches.
In this context I mean making decisions with the well being of the employees in mind if said decision in any way negatively affects the company. As opposed to employee's who very often feel an intense loyalty to a company, don't want to put anyone out, lie, call in sick when their not etc... in order to be able to go on outside interviews that could further their career.
In my experience (i.e. small businesses, the lifeblood of the US economy, right mk?) companies show plenty of loyalty if their employees aren't faceless drones. It's easy to lay off stats, but it's a lot harder to let go the guy with the family pictures in his office. I kind of hate people and think they're stupid, but I don't think people are totally heartless.That's not to say that I disagree with you on your overall point. Yes, you should look out for yourself, but that doesn't have to mean that loyalty is a bad thing.
  • Like 1
Guess they did their casting outside of Des Moines?
How about INSIDE a Des Moines bar!Boom!
Hey, man, I've never been shot...yet.
We get it, you've never been to South Africa.
douche or no douche? the guy who complains about his wife loving baseball?
Depends. Does she ruin his viewing experience?
You need to work on your hook shot.
hahahaha

hahalist of 100 best companies to work for came out today. I like reading it and going "god damn it, really?!" for pretty much each one. god damn grocery store checkers making more than me. maybe I'll go to mexico and join a cartel. I'd be rich!