Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Some clarification, when I say "lived" I mean that I was not there on a vacation or a short trip to sight see though I of course did some sight seeing. My friends Dad got a job in Tokyo and took his family to go live there. At one point his dad was being transferred to Korea for a year and my friend didn't want to go so he stayed in Tokyo in their 5 bedroom luxury apartment right in downtown Tokyo and invited me to come live with him. Quit my job, took all my money and stayed probably between 3-4 months.
That's like my dream scenario. I want to go to Japan so bad(ly?). Good for you.
Yeah, I don't think she liked me either and pretty sure she eluded to the fact she didn't think I would ever be any kind of successful. Sure showing her!
Heh.
Yeah, San Diego is nice, but its also a bit.. boring. There's also this factor where a lot of the adults there seem to still be in their teenage-surfer-drinking-guy phase of life even though they are now married with kids.
That's fair. But the teenage-surfur-etc thing is still nice, because it leads to a whole lot of laid back people.
but yeah, gosling's gotta be one of the top 5 actors working right now, right? like as far as actual skill?
Yeah. Too bad Ledger's dead, he'd be up there too.
socal?
Am i the only one who is FB friends with him? After getting dumped he found religon, Europe and then MMA AND REMAINS MORE SMUGLY THAN MK? btw I am posting from bed for the time in my sickie career. Nook beotches.
you mean socal? that's weird, I don't ever remember him being too openly religious, especially not to the point of it seeming contrived.
Oh got this already
Oh, yeah, socal.Tough one. Maybe San Diego.I also have a question. When I was skiing this weekend, I went up a lift with a man who told a story about skiing the Swiss Alps, and taking a gondola which took over an hour to get to the top of the mountain. So let's say that the gondola gets almost all the way to the top when something snaps, it falls to the ground, and starts rolling down the slope. Let's assume that everyone would get banged around, but it would quickly be rolling fast enough for everyone to just be more or less pinned to one wall...some bumps, but mostly just fear and g-forces. Also, let's assume that it would take about 20 minutes to roll all the way to the bottom. How long would it be before the screaming stopped and someone had to cut the ensuing awkward silence with a comment about the current situation?
All i can think o fis that ridiculous pig commercial with it yellling weeeeeeeeeee. Goddam awful shit.
racist.
Haha
brv I don't think you could deal with the people in Marin.
He lives in goddam Iowa. Of course he'd love it. Love you brv!
Yeah, San Diego is nice, but its also a bit.. boring. There's also this factor where a lot of the adults there seem to still be in their teenage-surfer-drinking-guy phase of life even though they are now married with kids. I'd say los angeles south bay, like manhattan beach. Then you get the beachtown feel of san diego but also the proximity to LA for real basketball, restaurants, concerts, etc.
Ya, those guys bother me in SD. And you get all the white trash East County people at the beach on the weekends.Manhattan Beach was my second choice.
you mean socal? that's weird, I don't ever remember him being too openly religious, especially not to the point of it seeming contrived.
I missed this earlier. And you must have missed the fact that socal had a "walking with the lord" blog for a while after his girlfriend (fiance?) broke it off. Maybe it was just a phase, I don't know. Maybe "contrived" is the wrong word, but it was certainly a convenient time to find religion. His intentions were probably good.
darren rovell @darrenrovell People who asked for a ridiculously high salary were given 9% more than other candidates w/same title (Source: Harvard Biz Review)
I can confirm this (anecdotally) from both sides of the hiring desk.
Which movie character would you be, if you could be any movie character?Disclaimers!It has to be real, so no Yodas or Gandolfs. Or Dr. Dolittles for speedz. It has to be a person who could actually exist in this world.You know, even without this disclaimer, it would be pretty weird to pick any of the above. Also, I'm going to put a cap on wealth, so people don't just choose the richest person in the movies. Let's set the cap at $100 million. You know, as a general guideline. I don't think there's a website that has fake financial statements of fictional characters. (Somebody write that down as a possible business plan. Also: stats for sports movies characters.)
I love this post. Ty Webb.
yeah I don't think I want to be a movie character so much as I just want to be gosling. or clooney. or paul rudd. or... pretty much anybody else.but yeah, gosling's gotta be one of the top 5 actors working right now, right? like as far as actual skill?
I disagree. He's good but he's not great IMO. But he is so hot right now.
That's fair. But the teenage-surfur-etc thing is still nice, because it leads to a whole lot of laid back people.
Basically it's nice, until you become The Man. Being the boss of a bunch of laid-back teenage/surfer man-children is a huge pain in the ass. Especially if your boss doesn't appreciate the labour pool you're fishing in. Being a grown-up is a pain, sometimes.
don't think I'd want to live in any of your cities except maybe Chicago.
I can't imagine a scenario where I would want to live in Chicago. Their public transit system is awful, and even having a car and driving there is too much of a headache for me. The only thing I'd like it for is convenience of there always being something to do and somewhere to go.
Some clarification, when I say "lived" I mean that I was not there on a vacation or a short trip to sight see though I of course did some sight seeing. My friends Dad got a job in Tokyo and took his family to go live there. At one point his dad was being transferred to Korea for a year and my friend didn't want to go so he stayed in Tokyo in their 5 bedroom luxury apartment right in downtown Tokyo and invited me to come live with him. Quit my job, took all my money and stayed probably between 3-4 months.
I'm actually going to project some jealousy on that, just based on the living conditions.
That's like my dream scenario. I want to go to Japan so bad(ly?). Good for you.
Same. Closest I've gotten was being in Narita airport for an hour at a time. I was going to have a day in Tokyo in July, but then I changed my return flight to the US to August first, and no longer had an overnight layover in Japan, so that bubble burst.Buuuut one day. I'd just be happy to go back to living in Seoul. China's nice I suppose, but the city I'm in (Qingdao) is NOT what it was hyped up to be for me. Everyone I talked to before we moved here was like, "Oh, Qingdao's nice/pretty, you'll really enjoy it." Get here, and the public transportation system here is WORSE than Chicago (I thought this was impossible, but there's no Subway/Elevated Train system--being built, but from what I've been told, it won't even extend to my area until 2014, and I don't really intend to be here that long, the buses are cheap albeit they take forever to get anywhere on, and the cab drivers are on suicide watch), there's very few "touristy" things to even do here, and I suppose it could be beautiful if it weren't for the perpetual smog/smoke hanging in the air and the constant tearing down of any architecture that looks remotely Chinese to make room for some nondescript shopping center. Makes it tougher that a scant few people here speak English. There's a large Korean population here, which would be a plus for me, since I speak good enough Korean, but they can't seem to process the fact that I'm speaking to them in Korean and respond to me in Chinese instead. Trying to study Chinese, but like I expected, it's ridiculously hard. I had made an off-handed comment last year to my fiance that Chinese was the last language I wanted to try to learn, and here I am, trying to learn how to use their tones properly while my foot is lodged in my mouth.A couple of positives is that there's a good shopping center literally downstairs from my apartment, and there's cheap beer when I want to relax, but honestly, their "world-famous" beer is no more than an Asian Budweiser.[/beersnob]I'd put it severely low on the list of cities I'd want to live in (maybe actually lower than my aforementioned Chicago; at least I can speak the language in Chicago), and lowest on the list of cities I have lived in, that being:1. Seoul, Korea2. Indianapolis3. Evansville, Indiana4. Qingdao, ChinaList of cities I want to live in:1. Seoul, Korea (IMO, people overlook this one because of Japan, but I love this city, but *looks at name* maybe I'm biased myself)2. Tokyo/Osaka, Japan3. Beijing/Shanghai, China4. Los Angeles (But that would basically require me living in a good area)5. Toronto6. Taipei, Taiwan7. Melbourne, Australia8. Rome9. MoscowSome of these could really be classified as romanticism. Honestly, I couldn't foresee myself living in a Chinese/Taiwanese city without some dramatic improvement of my Mandarin. But eh, it's my list, wanna fight?
Am i the only one who is FB friends with him? After getting dumped he found religon, Europe and then MMA AND REMAINS MORE SMUGLY THAN MK? btw I am posting from bed for the time in my sickie career. Nook beotches.
I still am, still talk to him when we get the chance. Last I heard from him, he was talking about moving to Korea himself to teach English.
I missed this earlier. And you must have missed the fact that socal had a "walking with the lord" blog for a while after his girlfriend (fiance?) broke it off. Maybe it was just a phase, I don't know. Maybe "contrived" is the wrong word, but it was certainly a convenient time to find religion. His intentions were probably good.
of course I missed that I don't read anybody's ridiculous blog. oh, um, sorry strat.I'm in the process of updating my resume. seriously, am I the only one who finds this to be an incredible pain in the ass? and I haven't even gotten to the cover letter yet!

Yeah, I'm not excited to update my resume 'cause I assume I have to take off a bunch of shit I did in college and I haven't really gotten involved in anything outside of work since graduating. Although, my job description thing at work has a bunch of flowery descriptions of what I do that I assume will be ok if I just put those on my resume for my current job.

yeah I hate the self promotion you have to do for resumes. I always write stuff while thinking "but I'm an idiot and I'm really not good at that."put in an application this morning. first one since I started my current job. I remember at my old job, when I put in an application for something I was pretty qualified for, I'd get all excited and hopeful. this time I didn't feel very good about it, and almost a little guilty. it's weird to have a job that you really like and feel loyalty to, but know that it's a crappy career move to stay with. I don't know, I've got like maybe a 1% chance of even hearing back from these people, but still.

no really, nearly everything about my current job is pretty cool, people, managers, perks, advancement opportunities, except for the salary (and lack of salary improvement with advancement opportunities). and I mean yeah, 95% of why I work is for salary, hence the application, but that doesn't mean it would be easy to leave the other stuff. and no, this one's in the same boring city, it would just (hopefully) be for a lot more money. now that I've got my resume updated though, I might give this other company I've been looking at a go. it's in a raleigh.

I'm actually going to project some jealousy on that, just based on the living conditions.Buuuut one day. I'd just be happy to go back to living in Seoul.
Yeah, I don't think I have ever lived better in my entire life. His father was the head of the SE Asia division of a very large corporation so they put him and his family up in one of the nicest places in Tokyo. I am only going by what we were told one day by the two people who came over to fix our broken fax machine one day, but they said that the head of Toyota could barely afford to live in the place we were living. Which when two 23 year olds hear that we think it is pretty cool. The place had 5 bedrooms. Each bedroom had it's own private balcony, mine faced the city and the Tokyo Tower was right smack in front of me. We each had our own full bathroom. That bathroom, at least back then was the coolest room I have ever been in. Heated floors, anti-fog windows, the largest shower I have ever used. We guess we could fit 20-25 people in it. The toilet was a space age masterpiece that had tons of buttons and controls, half of which I had no clue what they did. At the front of the condo near the kitchen was the sound system. All the speakers were in the walls, ceilings, and floors of every single room and you could set it all from there. It even had funny stations that would just play the sounds live from a subway or a pachinko place. We always thought it would be a great way to cheat on someone. Just call from the house while you have live subway noise in the background. I don't think I will ever live in such luxury again in my life. But we are even then because I have yet to go to Seoul. I should be going very soon but the wait is absolutely killing me. I want to go there more than any other place in the whole wide world right now. Mainly for the fact that my wife and I adopted a boy from Korea and have been waiting for the call to go pick him up. I guess they will require me to stay a week to go sightseeing before I take him with me and I fully expect to enjoy it. We have talked about taking him back when he is around 12 as well.
But we are even then because I have yet to go to Seoul. I should be going very soon but the wait is absolutely killing me. I want to go there more than any other place in the whole wide world right now. Mainly for the fact that my wife and I adopted a boy from Korea and have been waiting for the call to go pick him up. I guess they will require me to stay a week to go sightseeing before I take him with me and I fully expect to enjoy it. We have talked about taking him back when he is around 12 as well.
Very nice, and completely understandable why you're on pins and needles to go.You'll definitely like Seoul, I'll be back on the 28th. If you could handle the trains in Tokyo (Which I've heard are a headache from my wife, who has also been there), taking the Subway in Seoul is an absolute cakewalk. Add a smartphone (iPhone and Android at least, don't know about BlackBerry), and it's easy mode with the subway apps they have floating around for Seoul. So don't go the dumb tourist route and rely on taxis to get you where you need to go (doubly so in Seoul, they go by MINUTES you're in the cab, and not by km, so you could be sitting in traffic and get stuck with a larger bill than if it were open lanes); the subway is way too easy to maneuver, all the signs/announcements are in Korean and English at least, some Japanese and Chinese, and pretty much any tourist site will be on the street level maps within the subways, or if you look them up, usually have subway directions listed on their website or on visitkorea.or.krAlso, for the year, there's apparently a coupon discount for foreigners that give you free transit from the airport, as well as discounts on hotels, currency exchange (I suggest only changing a little at Incheon airport, then hold off until you find a Woori bank to cash in the rest you need, because KEB has 30% discount on $ vs. 60% at Woori), food, and some tourist things.I could also give you some suggestions on some great places to see while you're there as far as tourist sites go. I'll probably do it through PM though, so this doesn't turn into a massive wall of text.The only downside there is that streets and addresses are not clearly marked. Navigating the streets can be an absolute mess even for natives. Won't forget my wife (then fiance) and I trying to find the bridal shop we were supposed to go to for her dress. It took us like 30 minutes, standing outside in 100 degree heat plus humidity (And Seoul humidity is BAD) to find it. But for normal tourist sites, it's not too bad.
but yeah, gosling's gotta be one of the top 5 actors working right now, right? like as far as actual skill?
DDL, PSH, Michael Fassbender, Michael Shannon. Paul Giamatti? Leo? Are we just talking about actors and not actresses?
google image searching little big league with the filter off was a bad idea.
Oh yeah, what's with this "don't censor the internet" thing?
Holy shit, Shake. I think you have Stockholm Syndrome.
Haha.
  • Like 1
Oh yeah, what's with this "don't censor the internet" thing?
Lot of people believing it will turn youtubers into felons, stifle creativity on the Internet, and turn the US into another China with a firewall.I'm on fighting game forums, and Youtube for sure is one massive collection of Street Fighter match and combo videos. A lot of fear is being placed in the thought that if this SOPA bill passes, that anyone who uploads these videos or streams tournaments or random match play on JTV/Ustream (not anything that would spoil an entire game for a group of people like a run through of say...Mass Effect would, or divert people from actually buying the game) could become prosecutable under US law. Same with the Starcraft/FPS communities.And for me, yeah, I have 700+ videos of match play from Soul Calibur 4, BlazBlue, Street Fighter 4, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Tekken 6, and Smash uploaded to my channel, so it's a little bit eyebrow raising.But the fact that it could stifle creativity, and possibly drive fear into people wanting to invest in creating genius startups is also startling. The firewall potential is also very scary, this coming from someone who is living in China, and has to pay for a VPN service just to access my Facebook to keep in touch with my friends back home. Trust me guys, you don't want it. Nor do you really want a government with the ability to pull what they want off of Youtube/Twitter/Facebook. The reason these are inaccessible to China without some finagling is that they won't cater to the government over here, so China gets Youku (Youtube), Renren (Facebook), and Weibo (Twitter), and that gets filtered through big brother over here.Now that has a potential of happening Stateside.
So...pa?I thought that was a pastry or something.
Stop Online Piracy Act.Or: Some Other Pastry Additive, to go along with your train of thought.A doughnut sounds good right now.Think that's gonna be my junk food tomorrow.

I'm somebody who buys all my music and movies and think that some of the other ways to obtain these things is actual stealing, but I also think these big moves to stop piracy are just a waste of time and money and almost certainly do more harm than good.Hmm...hey brvheart, that link to watch any basketball game online...you didn't trick me into watching something illegally, did you? I'm pretty sure that's a sin.

• Like 1
I'm somebody who buys all my music and movies and think that some of the other ways to obtain these things is actual stealing, but I also think these big moves to stop piracy are just a waste of time and money and almost certainly do more harm than good.
Agreed, although I stopped buying either. Movies because of Netflix, music because I was waiting on something actually relevant to come out.There will always be ways to circumvent it. Always. And the funniest part is the fact that shortly after this bill was introduced, someone in the RIAA office (I think, it was definitely one of the big groups associated with this bill) was caught and arrested for piracy using a work computer.