I Called In Sick Today

In college I used to be a customer service douche for a local science museum.
Least surprising admission ever.
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I have yet to find a boss who will back me up when I uphold a policy of theirs when someone decides to have a tantrum about it. Customer is always right!
I stood up for my staff all the time. Pretty sure it cost me my job, at least in part. Fuck those losers, next time. I'ma watch out for me.
Sean Payton took a lot of heat today for that last play call.I thought it was ok.Great game.
Terrible call. Drew Brees is their best player. When the game's on the line, you put the ball in his hands.
Terrible call. Drew Brees is their best player. When the game's on the line, you put the ball in his hands.
Like that time they had 4th and short and they called a pass play and Brees ended up running backwards for about 20 yards before throwing it into the ground.
Like that time they had 4th and short and they called a pass play and Brees ended up running backwards for about 20 yards before throwing it into the ground.
Yeah, that play didn't work. But it should work at least 50% of the time, right?

I wasn't impressed with Mark Ingram at all, and I'm surprised they put the game in his hands at the end.

A while back I had a manager that had been working for me for a few years. He was at his 2nd store and each of them had done poorly under his management. I wanted to fire him for poor performance and bring in a proven manager to turn the store back around. My boss told me not to fire him but, instead, to leave him in the store working for the new manager I wanted to bring in. I explained repeatedly that it would not work out well and re-asserted my belief that we should fire him and move on. All to no avail. We did it her way.About 3 months later I'm in a DM meeting giving a financial presentation to the other DM's, my boss and her boss. Her boss, when talking about the store in question, says he wants to talk to me about the situation after the meeting. Great. We get together, my boss is there at first but then conveniently has to leave to talk with someone else when the subject of the manager comes up. Her boss then procedes to chew my ass and tell me that the decision "I" made was wrong, potentially caused a liability issue for the company (because the manager I wanted to fire was black and the one I wanted to replace him with was white. No, that didn't have anything to do with it) and what I should have done if I was unhappy with his performance was to fire him. I had 2 options:A. Take the (non life threatening) bullet, apologize, and assure him I would learn from this if it came up in the future. B. Throw my boss under the bus by explaining that I wanted to fire the manager all along and my boss wouldn't let me and deal with the repercussions of that on a daily basis for the rest of my time there. I chose B. My boss, to my knowledge, never backed me up and admitted that it was her decision all along. One of 538 reasons she was THE worst boss I ever worked for.

Yeah, that play didn't work. But it should work at least 50% of the time, right?
So should running it up the middle from the one with your first round draft pick RB
So should running it up the middle from the one with your first round draft pick RB
If they're a power running team, yes. But they're not. I'd guess the percentage is quite a bit lower than 50% in that situation.
"We heard you are upset that you weren't hired as a loan officer.""...""Your trainer told us that you are upset about it.""I...no.""Well, we only have a certain number of those positions, and we thought the other applicant was better suited for the position.""Ok.""Thanks, you can go back to work now."
yeah, no they'd never be that upfront about it. being honest and open is factually proven to drive up labor costs.
I would like to hear strategy's thoughts on the question thank you
the head teller (meeting 1) was like, "I'm going to put you on some excel projects for us, but I just need you to go with the flow for now." the bigger boss at meeting #2 was like, "listen, I've heard some comments from your coworkers and I just want to be clear that you're a teller and you need to prove to us that you can do it before we move you up. wouldn't have hired you if I didn't think you could do it" etc.this all stemmed from the one conversation and I never once said anything after the first meeting, so I mean, I kinda got peter gibbons'd
One of 538 reasons she was THE worst boss I ever worked for.
support-group.jpgI pretty much fumed all day from 2-5:40 until it was just me and the girl alone in the bank. I hit her with "look, they're going to use this against both of us in our reviews if we keep this shit up, don't you think we ought to just not include management at all?" so we're kinda back on friendly-ish terms. the truth is, I don't have the patience or stamina to actively hate someone for very long.

The touchdown they scored on the drive before was a fantastic fake-screen fake-draw throw to the weak side TE that worked like a god damn charm. They must have had another couple similar plays.

Update: Had a barbacoa burrito like a champ today, because I work within walking distance of one of the over 1000 Chipotles in the US. No big deal, carry on.
so this is what happens when the piece of shit moves to a real city huh
All of them?
haha. you need to post more. wanted to comment on a few things strat said but I'm on my phone and can't multiquote, so it'll have to wait. SORRY BOUT THAT!

You know whats really stupid?I ain't gonna say, cause it's me...I just staggered home and am heading out to a bar after the weekly home poker gameLet's just say that I'm drinker than who shit in the ditchHopefully the powers that be allow me to make it back go a report...**** me I gotta piss...

common sense got the best of me... I'm heading homeThe final tally... buy in six hundred. cash out seven fifty. drank? waaaaay too manysince I broke my what do you call it... uh...my promise? anyway my vow to just work on the car this next few weeks. the hell with it. Ill still make it goddamnit itIm gonna go to sleep, wake up in the morning, and start all over again....sue meI may stagger downstairs and down to the shop to shut the doors. Stay tuned to twitter just in case I do. Oh......the wife hired some guys to re-carpet the basement stairs yesterday. I surfaced just as the kid started doing themYeah, he didnt have a clue about how to properly install it. I did it for him. He left here drunk as a skunk and the stairs were perfectIll twit a pic or two on the way to the cooler........he lost at least a hundred in the game

I thought you guys called it the Loo? Or is it watercloset? idk about this cloakroom businessI've been meaning to ask you - how is it possible that you don't ever eat chipotle? Is it because you're on some sort of awesome-burrito-free diet, or do you really just live that far away from civilization that you don't have chipotle?
It can be loo or toilet. I tend to say bathroom because I guess I picked that up in the US. Cloakroom is seriously a place you leave your coat! I went to a music gig on Thursday and a swing dance ball in a big 1920s ballroom last night, and at both I left my coat and bag in the "cloakroom" and used the facilities in a seperate "toilet". There are a few Chipotles in London now. I do not intend to patronise them.
Most of my greetings go "hey what's up" "good, you?"
In Parliament I say "All right?" to every security officer and police officer I pass. It sounds more like "A'right?" the way it's pronounced. That is my standard greeting, but it occasionally gets me into a weird and confusing situation:Me: A'right?Cop: Good yeah, y'a'right?Me: Yeah, you?Cop: ...Yeah?The instinct after replying is to ask it back, but sometimes I forget I've already asked and do it twice.
"Stay black."
Loved it.
That. Right there. That is solid advice.But other than that...welcome to he real world. The idiots are in control.
I'm having an issue with my probation because I've been ill too much. 10 out of the 13 days off sick that I've had were due to my really bad stomach bug a few months ago. My supervisors all know that because I had a doctors note for it, and they're defending me to the upper management, but it seems likely that they will extend my probation period from 9 months to a year. My supervisors have advised me not to get sick any more for the next 3 months.... easier said than done, especially in a job where you're standing in cold, draughty rooms or outside regardless of weather for hours every day.
I'm having an issue with my probation because I've been ill too much. 10 out of the 13 days off sick that I've had were due to my really bad stomach bug a few months ago. My supervisors all know that because I had a doctors note for it, and they're defending me to the upper management, but it seems likely that they will extend my probation period from 9 months to a year. My supervisors have advised me not to get sick any more for the next 3 months.... easier said than done, especially in a job where you're standing in cold, draughty rooms or outside regardless of weather for hours every day.
One thing about working at Parliament(and civil service in general) is that they have to be very very careful to be considerate of illness etc, and it is a place where you can't really get fired once you're in. Friend of mine had stalker issues a few years back, and without asking for it, her manager insisted she had 6 months off to de-stress. People do abuse it, but basically, once you're in, it is a piece of cake to take sickies here and there. Like weeks at a time for stress etc. And people don't work too hard up there(apart from refreshment department LDO)Get through the probation, and you'll have a job for life. Crap pay, but ultimate security, and you'll be able to move around the departments as the years go on. Jill Pay for example, was nothing more than a person in charge of the cleaners, etc. You too could become Sergeant-at-arms one day, lol. Be careful though. You can become institutionalised, as many do...
One thing about working at Parliament(and civil service in general) is that they have to be very very careful to be considerate of illness etc, and it is a place where you can't really get fired once you're in. Friend of mine had stalker issues a few years back, and without asking for it, her manager insisted she had 6 months off to de-stress. People do abuse it, but basically, once you're in, it is a piece of cake to take sickies here and there. Like weeks at a time for stress etc. And people don't work too hard up there(apart from refreshment department LDO)Get through the probation, and you'll have a job for life. Crap pay, but ultimate security, and you'll be able to move around the departments as the years go on. Jill Pay for example, was nothing more than a person in charge of the cleaners, etc. You too could become Sergeant-at-arms one day, lol. Be careful though. You can become institutionalised, as many do...
Not trying to sound suspicious or confrontational or anything but... who are you and how do you know so much about Parliament?

here's the much anticipated remarks I had on this strategy post!it's right here:

the head teller (meeting 1) was like, "I'm going to put you on some excel projects for us, but I just need you to go with the flow for now." the bigger boss at meeting #2 was like, "listen, I've heard some comments from your coworkers and I just want to be clear that you're a teller and you need to prove to us that you can do it before we move you up. wouldn't have hired you if I didn't think you could do it" etc.this all stemmed from the one conversation and I never once said anything after the first meeting, so I mean, I kinda got peter gibbons'd
ok, so this doesn't really sound that bad actually. it sucks to get called out for something when it wasn't intended to be anywhere near what you were called out for, but looking at the results, they do seem to be interested in keeping you for more than just a teller. to me it seems like the fact that they even met with you is good because if they really only thought of you as just another teller, or somebody who wasn't working out, then it would have been more of a "you're a teller, that's your job, get used to it" kind of convo. besides, at least they know you want to move up. hell, half the time that's one of the biggest roadblocks to advancement. but don't worry, stick with it long enough, deal with less qualified higher ups telling you you're wrong for a while, and who knows, maybe ten years down the road you could be making just a couple grand under what most recent college graduates make in positions half as challenging as yours! just like me!
I pretty much fumed all day from 2-5:40 until it was just me and the girl alone in the bank. I hit her with "look, they're going to use this against both of us in our reviews if we keep this shit up, don't you think we ought to just not include management at all?" so we're kinda back on friendly-ish terms. the truth is, I don't have the patience or stamina to actively hate someone for very long.
yeah, she's probably already taken that conversation to management. first rule of office relationships: do not make concessions with cunts.