My three most influential movies?City of GodGrizzly ManIncredibles
Why do you think this movie was influential? I enjoyed it, but I don't think it was influential though.
  • Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

I've read the idea of awarding the Oscars 10 years after the movie is released in the theater. I think it's an interesting, if unworkable idea.
The oscar's aren't a serious film award, they are a movie industry award, that is mostly a platform for stars to jerk each other off for a night. The oscars are about fame, and having them awarded 10 years later completely misses the point for them.

Wall StreetI thought it was good overall, but the ending kinda sucked. Michael Douglas was awesome.Darryl Hannah looks like a dude, how was she ever a sex symbol?

Why do you think this movie was influential? I enjoyed it, but I don't think it was influential though.
Hum. Well, maybe it was just influential for me. (Although, using the Oscars should be awarded 10 years later theory, I hope not.)Grizzly Man felt like art. Sure, to start, it's a story about a hopelessly self involved man, but it also covered man, society, and nature. I especially responded to the questions about the cult of celebrity, and narcissism. All these years after its release, I still remember specific sequences:The helicopter pilot flying, and humming--I felt swept into the sceneHow uncomfortable I felt, watching a man's mental state disintegrate on cameraHow funny it was, "Is that my hat? That better not be my hat. Give me back my ****ing hat." and all of that Herzog voice over. "I have seen this kind of madness before, usually on a film set." Gold!I know quite a few people who saw it, and didn't like it. They hated Treadwell (I see movies with despicable characters all the time), and wanted more explicit scenes shown. To me, Grizzly Man was a gorgeous, haunting movie, with a clear sense of message and vision. I'm fumbling here, trying to articulate why I feel like it is influential, and I can't. I just know it's become something of a personal barometer of storytelling.
The oscar's aren't a serious film award, they are a movie industry award, that is mostly a platform for executives to jerk each other off for a night. The oscars are about money, and having them awarded 10 years later might take away from a cheap box office bump.
FYP
Darryl Hannah looks like a dude, how was she ever a sex symbol?
Apparently, IQ and BigD aren't unique little snowflakes.

The SoloistGood story, great acting, but it just fell short for me for some reason. The movie kept my attention the whole time but I felt like I was just waiting for something to happen and it never did. No real climax or anything.

Slumdog Millionaire.Really enjoyed the movie.....very cool concept in how they decided to show the evolution of the main characters. Still, I cant quite get over some of the early scenes in the movie. Some things you can't unsee when it comes to feces.

I just watched a movie called Cube on IFC, it was really weird but also kind of cool.Premise without really spoiling anything:So these people wake up in a square room with an opening at the left, right, bottom, and top. Three of the passages are booby trapped which means they will probably die if they go in there, one of the passages is the correct way. Once they find the correct passage they enter another room which is pretty much exactly the same. Each person finds that they have their own purpose as to being there, and they have to work together to find a way out.

pretty obscure. what gave you the idea to dig up that relic?
Because it's awesome?

To the person that recommended The Fall, ty.

Because it's awesome?
you just like the idea of getting people to chase dollar bills on the end of your fishing rod
Revolutionary RoadExcellent drama about the disintegration and misapplication of the hopes and dreams of relationships and life.
This word isn't correct within the context of the rest of this post. "Sucky" might work though.
This word isn't correct within the context of the rest of this post. "Sucky" might work though.
Not Sam Mendes' fault you don't understand the some types of relationship dynamics. Not mine either.

Regarding The Wrestler:I liked how unrelenting the violence was. That was one of the few screenings I've attended where I saw an audience member walk out. It was gory, and unapologetic. The movie correctly portrays how rough the life of a middling level wrestler is. I liked how working class most of the characters were. (Shallow note--I loved the Ram video game!) The lives portrayed on the screen seem dull, drab and hopeless, because that's the reality.I thought Evan Rachel Wood was the weakest part of the film, I was acutely aware of her acting, while Rourke and Tomei disappeared onto the screen.It was one of my favorite movies of 2008. I've got it at home, but have only looked at the Making Of features--I don't know how much time I want to spend in that blood soaked hopeless world.