• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think there needs to be a small white truck parked next to the scene of the accident, watching but not participating.

How was the crowd for The Lovely Bones?

That's how I felt when I saw Gangs of New York, followed closely by City of God. DDL is fantastic in Gangs, but the movie didn't do much for me. City Of God though, that's the real thing.     I don

Max Payne. Wasn't terrible until the last 1/4 of the movie.I played the video game once years ago, but did not know the back story. I thought it was about Angels and Demons, not drugs and hallucinations.
Did Marky Mark do an excessive amount of diving? Particularly very slow diving, almost always while shooting down bad guys? Or actually, I suppose, he would do a lot of diving at normal speed, but while firing what seems an impossibly large number of deadly accurate rounds....And now I want to play Max Payne.img_21931_mpayne_1.jpg

I'm making my way through the Watchmen right now. So far I've watched 1h 20mins of it. I never read the comic books so i am a little lost! I am hoping it gets better and the plot starts to make more sense...

I'm making my way through the Watchmen right now. So far I've watched 1h 20mins of it. I never read the comic books so i am a little lost! I am hoping it gets better and the plot starts to make more sense...
oops, you are not going to be happy. My wife who read the novel(and loved it) and knew what was going on agreed with me to walk out of the theater after what felt like 6 hours but was only 2 hours and 30 minutes and there was still 15 minutes left.
oops, you are not going to be happy. My wife who read the novel(and loved it) and knew what was going on agreed with me to walk out of the theater after what felt like 6 hours but was only 2 hours and 30 minutes and there was still 15 minutes left.
Finished the movie. I actually liked it. Gave it 3 stars on Netflix. The ending brought it all together and you can understand it more clearly. Not a great movie and I'm glad I didn't see it in the theater, but it was cool.
How the hell do you walk out of a movie with 15 minutes left?
How the hell do you walk out of a movie with 15 minutes left?
I wanted to walk out after about 30 minutes for a couple reasons and one being the movie I was watching, but Liz was sure it would get better. That movie seemed to end about 4 times before it actually did and by that point she was fed up and the other situation helped seal the deal. I believe I posted about the other reason so I will go find it and quote it. But for me I didn't enjoy the movie at all and wanted to leave much much sooner. And I believe this is the one and only movie I have ever walked out of.Liz's review:
Tonight I saw "Watchmen." First, just let me say my experience was colored by a horrific "Family Guy"-esque scene that played out two rows in front of us.* Second, the horrific scene at least provided some entertainment value. Yeah, I'm sorry to report that I'm one of the party-poopers who did not enjoy this movie. Which is too bad because I went into it with an open mind, despite some of the poor reviews, and was hoping to enjoy a good challenging movie.What I got was a poorly paced tableau that droned on and on with no satisfying resolution or conclusion. Everything was so flat -- the characters, the storyline, everything. I think half the problem was the faithfulness with which Zack Snyder and crew adhered to the story: what works as a multi-part storyline in a graphic novel does not work as a movie. There was nothing to carry the viewer along with the story -- no urgency or emotional undercurrent to keep the action moving. Consequently, the resolution, such as it was, had no resonance.It didn't help that the pacing was utterly somnolent. I was pulled in from time to time -- during Rorshach's prison stint, the scenes with The Comedian -- but just when I thought the story was finally picking up, it would drop me again two scenes later. And what was up with Dr. Manhattan? Fascinating in the graphic novel, his character was completely devoid of power here.Watching this film convinced me that everyone who said "The Watchmen" could not and should not be made into a movie were right. What's brilliant social commentary on the page comes out as ham-fisted on the screen, and dialogue that works with two-dimensional characters seems disjointed and trite coming from the mouths of the actors.I wish I'd enjoyed it more. I swear, I really wanted to like it. Maybe I'll give it another chance when it comes out on DVD but I'll probably have to have a few drinks first. All I can say is, I was very disappointed tonight.
And the family guy-esque scene she was talking about...
Heh, there was a family two rows ahead of us. Our guess is a daughter(15 or so), her friend, the son(13 maybe), the mom, and the moms burnout midget longhaired looks like he was stuck in the 80's boyfriend. Diagram of the seating arrangements:_ _ _ _ DFRND DAUG _ _ _ _ _ _BF MOM _ _ SON _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ME WIFE _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ All was cool until the kid left to get popcorn or something about an hour in. Within minutes the BF and MOM were sucking each others face off like it was the first time they ever had the chance. They were nice enough to quit about 30 seconds before I heard the door open and the kid come down to the row. But about 45 minutes left in the movie the BF and MOM could not take it any longer and started sucking face again with the kid 3 seats away. It was distracting to say the least. Two fat ugly older people making out heavily was just not cool. The kid was getting annoyed as well. He did turn and catch my wife and I making faces of disgust about what we were all seeing. I felt sorry for him. MY wife's version:What happened? Two middle aged burn-outs engaged in serious, gratuitous making out WITH THEIR YOUNG TEENAGE SON SITTING NEXT TO THEM!! And their daughter and her friend sitting in the row in front. Now this wasn't just a little kissing here and there, this was a face-licking, hands-in-mysterious-places acid-washed denim nightmare. That boy is going to need some serious, serious therapy later. Actually, my husband and I might need some too. The horror, the horror...
lol @ "no satisfying resolution or conclusion" when you leave before the movie is over.
My father walked out of the first Lord of the Rings movie with 15 minutes left (est) when he realized there would be no satisfying resolution or conclusion. His wording was actually something like "I sat there and watched little people walk somewhere for over 2 hours. Eventually I realized that they weren't going to get there by the end of the movie and that it would probably take another 6 hours of walking. So I cut my losses." Obviously he hasn't read the books, and he did have my mother there pressuring him to leave due to all the violence, which she did not approve of.I'm not sure why they went to this movie.
lol @ "no satisfying resolution or conclusion" when you leave before the movie is over.
Well she had read the novel and already knew the ending and did eventually see it and still feels the same way. Me? Never bothered to watch the last 15 minutes. I don't think those 15 minutes would have changed my mind regarding the first 150.
My father walked out of the first Lord of the Rings movie with 15 minutes left (est) when he realized there would be no satisfying resolution or conclusion. His wording was actually something like "I sat there and watched little people walk somewhere for over 2 hours. Eventually I realized that they weren't going to get there by the end of the movie and that it would probably take another 6 hours of walking. So I cut my losses." Obviously he hasn't read the books, and he did have my mother there pressuring him to leave due to all the violence, which she did not approve of.I'm not sure why they went to this movie.
This is pretty great.
Well she had read the novel and already knew the ending and did eventually see it and still feels the same way. Me? Never bothered to watch the last 15 minutes. I don't think those 15 minutes would have changed my mind regarding the first 150.
Well, I wonder why she didn't find the conclusion satisfying, but that's not really my point. I just don't think you can criticize the ending of a movie without, you know, seeing the ending.

Watch the last 15 minutes. To me it made the rest of the movie make sense. The main thing is you understand why Rorshach is reading journal entries at points throughout the movie. I had no idea what to expect going in, but I think I could sit through it again.

Someone tell me the last 15 or so minutes. Maybe we missed 3 or 8, who knows, this was quite awhile ago, all I know is that the credits were not running and she was already satisfied that she saw enough. I stopped paying attention an hour ago and was watching the mess in front of me. I suspect that if the movie followed the GN very closely, as people have already admitted too, she didn't miss anything she didn't already know. So while I can't speak for her, I don't think I have a problem with her reviewing it but I am biased for obv reasons.

Watch the last 15 minutes. To me it made the rest of the movie make sense. The main thing is you understand why Rorshach is reading journal entries at points throughout the movie. I had no idea what to expect going in, but I think I could sit through it again.
Okay, well I saw that part so maybe we left closer to the end then I thought. Oh well, still hated the movie. No biggie though, can't like them all.
Someone tell me the last 15 or so minutes. Maybe we missed 3 or 8, who knows, this was quite awhile ago, all I know is that the credits were not running and she was already satisfied that she saw enough.
Here's BigD's take on it:
About the ending. I don't get bobby's objection to it at all. I think they almost had to write a new ending. If they were going to use the alien attack ending, they would have added about an hour to the movie, explaining it. You would have added an bunch of exposition to a movie that was already really long, and you would have lost the entire non-fanboy audience for no reason. I think the new ending was a wise choice, editing wise. Most importantly, the spirit of the ending was intact. Ozymandius still won, the world still came together, Rorsh. still got killed by manhattan, everyone still had to accept the horrific terrorist act of Ozy. Everything that made the ending important and so ground breaking 20 years ago is still in this ending, just the surface details are changed.
Okay, well I saw that part so maybe we left closer to the end then I thought. Oh well, still hated the movie. No biggie though, can't like them all.
Isn't the last scene in the movie at the newspaper where the guy finds the journal? If you saw that then you saw the end. Correct me if i'm wrong.
The Talented Mr. Ripley... for the first time.meh.
The books aren't too bad. Written with a breezily psychotic style to match Ripley's demeanor. Fun, if only for the way he manages to get away with everything...I heard Ripley's Game either blows massive chunks or is adequate. Not much of a recommendation, but there you go.