Lhe Challenge(?) Thread

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: Is it tough to find somebody to play at the mid-takes (5/10-15/30) levels of HUHU LHE that isn't already a pro or really good?On FTP it seems like there are always the same people sitting by themselves waiting for action. Sometimes there are like 8 different people sitting at the same level and nobody is playing. I know when Zach got fed up with AP he tried to play HU LHE on FTP and gave up pretty quickly and switched to NL, so I'm thinking those things might add up to some tough sledding for a mid stakes HU LHE player.

Question: Is it tough to find somebody to play at the mid-takes (5/10-15/30) levels of HUHU LHE that isn't already a pro or really good?On FTP it seems like there are always the same people sitting by themselves waiting for action. Sometimes there are like 8 different people sitting at the same level and nobody is playing. I know when Zach got fed up with AP he tried to play HU LHE on FTP and gave up pretty quickly and switched to NL, so I'm thinking those things might add up to some tough sledding for a mid stakes HU LHE player.
as you move up in HULHE, it's a whole lot of waiting for action and fighting over the 5-10 tards per day who'll blow their 20BB and book it. keep in mind, though, that if you snag 3 of those guys, you're going to win 60BB a day, which is pretty nice, and that's why HULHE actually tends to have less variance than 6m.it's also worth saying that just because ppl aren't playing each other doesn't mean that there isn't an edge. it's just that in a lot of situations, it's more +ev to wait for a tard than to play someone that you can beat for like 0.05BB/100.oh, and i'm unstuck after a nice 100BB upswing :club:
as you move up in HULHE, it's a whole lot of waiting for action and fighting over the 5-10 tards per day who'll blow their 20BB and book it. keep in mind, though, that if you snag 3 of those guys, you're going to win 60BB a day, which is pretty nice, and that's why HULHE actually tends to have less variance than 6m.it's also worth saying that just because ppl aren't playing each other doesn't mean that there isn't an edge. it's just that in a lot of situations, it's more +ev to wait for a tard than to play someone that you can beat for like 0.05BB/100.
Ok..thats just enough of a carrot to keep me moving. I know I won't be there anytime soon since I'm still cashing out everything I make. Its so hard for me to get ahead right now when I need to cash out almost my entire br every two weeks. I would love to just be able to play 2/4 HU right now.

Serious question for you guys. I'm going to start trying to read and post in this thread pretty regularly since LHE has always been my favorite game. It seems like most of you play shorthanded or HU and I'm curious how you handle the constant swings. I've never been very successful at shorthanded and I'm trying to become successful at it, but I'm having a very hard time with the fact that I seem to lose an awful lot and that shorthanded is so much swingier than full ring used to be.

I don't feel like I know what I'm doing on any street in this hand. Just wrong-footed the whole way. Full Tilt Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is BB with 9 :4h, A :ts2 folds, CO checks, 2 folds, Hero checksFlop: (2.5 SB) 6 :D, 8 :D, A :club:(2 players)Hero bets, CO raises, Hero 3-bets, CO caps, Hero callsTurn: (5.25 BB) 10 :5c(2 players)Hero checks, CO bets, Hero callsRiver: (7.25 BB) 5 :D(2 players)Hero checks, CO bets, Hero callsTotal pot: $9.25 (9.25 BB) | Rake: $0.45

Ok..thats just enough of a carrot to keep me moving.
anything to keep fish in the pool :ts
Serious question for you guys. I'm going to start trying to read and post in this thread pretty regularly since LHE has always been my favorite game. It seems like most of you play shorthanded or HU and I'm curious how you handle the constant swings. I've never been very successful at shorthanded and I'm trying to become successful at it, but I'm having a very hard time with the fact that I seem to lose an awful lot and that shorthanded is so much swingier than full ring used to be.
i'd recommend doing what everyone else in this thread probably does--say to yourself, "at least i don't swong as much as checky." :)honestly, though, the answer to your question isn't a one size fits all type deal. i tend to do a fair amount of drugs/drinking when things go bad (although never during a session, just afterwards) in order to stay sane. i know of others that meditate, or read self help-y books, etc. the important thing is that you find something to get your mind off of the pain that's inevitably going to come your way at some point or another. unless, that is, you're a navybuttons-esque robot. :club:
I don't feel like I know what I'm doing on any street in this hand. Just wrong-footed the whole way. Full Tilt Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is BB with 9 :4h, A :ts2 folds, CO checks, 2 folds, Hero checksFlop: (2.5 SB) 6 :D, 8 :D, A :club:(2 players)Hero bets, CO raises, Hero 3-bets, CO caps, Hero callsTurn: (5.25 BB) 10 :5c(2 players)Hero checks, CO bets, Hero callsRiver: (7.25 BB) 5 :D(2 players)Hero checks, CO bets, Hero callsTotal pot: $9.25 (9.25 BB) | Rake: $0.45
i would raise preflop (i assume the co is a poster?), or, as played, raise/call the flop and c/r/c the turn. i'm showing top pair down in this spot every time vs a new guy at th etable.
anything to keep fish in the pool :club:
Seriously. A certain "robot" we know gave me some very good compliments the other day, basically saying I'm not too far off from being in the same league as some of the better HU players on FTP. I'm not sure if I'm being leveled or if maybe I'm the subject in an experiment testing the power of positive thinking. lol
Seriously. A certain "robot" we know gave me some very good compliments the other day, basically saying I'm not too far off from being in the same league as some of the better HU players on FTP. I'm not sure if I'm being leveled or if maybe I'm the subject in an experiment testing the power of positive thinking. lol
if you held your own against nb for hundreds of hands, i'm sure that's the case.and he'd have no reason to lie to you about that--for the foreseeable future, you're not competing over action at all :club:

Jumped in a juicy 30/60 6-handed game for a bit today. First time in a while. Went -3BB to +7BB to -12BB to +3BB over about an hour...which aren't very big swings. Also continue to run pretty decent at 5/10 HU on FTP. People like to sit with 10BB and bust in less than 5 hands against me. Then got in a match with a pretty aggro player. I was doing fine against him, but at some point, I won a hand where I peeled with Qs3d on an Ac 5c 2c flop. He typed, "why did you peel with that?" Noting that he said 'peel' (strat-speak) instead of 'call', I quit him a couple of hands later. There are easier fish in the sea.

Jumped in a juicy 30/60 6-handed game for a bit today. First time in a while. Went -3BB to +7BB to -12BB to +3BB over about an hour...which aren't very big swings. Also continue to run pretty decent at 5/10 HU on FTP. People like to sit with 10BB and bust in less than 5 hands against me. Then got in a match with a pretty aggro player. I was doing fine against him, but at some point, I won a hand where I peeled with Qs3d on an Ac 5c 2c flop. He typed, "why did you peel with that?" Noting that he said 'peel' (strat-speak) instead of 'call', I quit him a couple of hands later. There are easier fish in the sea.
i'd say that this is overcome by the fact that he thinks peeling with q3 on that board in a HULHE game is bad, and i'd probably keep running him over :club:
i'd say that this is overcome by the fact that he thinks peeling with q3 on that board in a HULHE game is bad, and i'd probably keep running him over :club:
My first reaction to this was that it seems loose. Is it standard to peel with gutters and Q on monotone boards without the suit?

folding there every time is way too tight to be successful at hulhe, imo.i'm currently having yet another 50BB downswing. give me five minutes and i'll be back to even.

I deviated from my course about midmonth. For whatever reason I took a left turn away from LHE, and sunk a bunch of time back into tourneys. That ends tonight. I'm done. Although I had really good results I went back to not even having fun playing again. So I cashed out my bit of scrilla and I'm back on the grind at .50/1. I want to try to put in 20000 hands at least in December. But first, I gotta get the damn postgresql thing to work on HEM so I can use it. Don't even know why I posted that. I'm gonna win a brazillion BB's this month. GL to everyone else.oh, and eff da bears.

I deviated from my course about midmonth. For whatever reason I took a left turn away from LHE, and sunk a bunch of time back into tourneys. That ends tonight. I'm done. Although I had really good results I went back to not even having fun playing again. So I cashed out my bit of scrilla and I'm back on the grind at .50/1. I want to try to put in 20000 hands at least in December. But first, I gotta get the damn postgresql thing to work on HEM so I can use it. Don't even know why I posted that. I'm gonna win a brazillion BB's this month. GL to everyone else.oh, and eff da bears.
play more lhe, because your sig is hilarious.also, NONECK PUT YOUR SIG UP
Sounds like a plan.
I'm currently at $90.30. I kinda cheated though because the other day Cake refunded me $33 for a tourney ticket I didn't even know I had. I just played 200 hands at .25/50 and made 80 BBs. Going to move up at 100 BBs for the next level until I reach 2/4.I'll be at $1k by the end of the week.

LOL i think i just got accidentally pwnt.Absolute PokerLimit Holdem Ring gameLimit: $2/$49 playersConverterPre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with 4 :club: J :ts3 folds, MP2 calls, 2 folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero checks.Flop: 3 :D 8 :D 6 :4h (4SB, 4 players)SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.Turn: 5 :D (2BB, 4 players)SB checks, Hero bets, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB folds.River: 5 :5c (5BB, 3 players)Hero bets, MP2 folds, Button calls.Results:Final pot: 7BBHero Shows 4d JdButton Shows 10c Qh

I'm currently at $90.30. I kinda cheated though because the other day Cake refunded me $33 for a tourney ticket I didn't even know I had. I just played 200 hands at .25/50 and made 80 BBs. Going to move up at 100 BBs for the next level until I reach 2/4.I'll be at $1k by the end of the week.
You win. I haven't played a hand there since.

is this a value bet?9 handed 3/6 cake pokerutg +1 limps i raise from mp with two queens big blind calls as does limperflop comes down 4c9s5c i have no clubs. check / check/ bet big blind folds utg+ 1 calls.turn comes a ksutg+1 checks i bet he calls.river comes a 6shis line is weird given that if he had any draw of any sort he should have tossed in a semi-bluff somewhere. i also do not want to bet/fold the river against somebody who i don't know (i don't know this guy at all), and i think if i bet this river i have to fold. if i knew he was loose passive i would feel comfortable bet/folding this all day long.

do i peel this flop getting these odds?i limp utg with QJ of spades. mp raises button calls blinds both fold. we see a flop of 3c6c4d three handed with 7.5 sb in the pot.i check mp bets and the button calls. there is not 9.5 in the pot. can i peel here? these kind of light/thin peels really mess me up.

is this a value bet?9 handed 3/6 cake pokerutg +1 limps i raise from mp with two queens big blind calls as does limperflop comes down 4c9s5c i have no clubs. check / check/ bet big blind folds utg+ 1 calls.turn comes a ksutg+1 checks i bet he calls.river comes a 6shis line is weird given that if he had any draw of any sort he should have tossed in a semi-bluff somewhere. i also do not want to bet/fold the river against somebody who i don't know (i don't know this guy at all), and i think if i bet this river i have to fold. if i knew he was loose passive i would feel comfortable bet/folding this all day long.
i think it would be a bigger mistake to lose value here longterm than it would be to bet/call against an unknown to verify some info. so yes, bet/call if you really want to make sure you see his hand. obv, bet/fold is correct vs. a lp, as you said.
do i peel this flop getting these odds?i limp utg with QJ of spades. mp raises button calls blinds both fold. we see a flop of 3c6c4d three handed with 7.5 sb in the pot.i check mp bets and the button calls. there is not 9.5 in the pot. can i peel here? these kind of light/thin peels really mess me up.
without any backdoor draws, i don't like peeling overcards when we could be in a bad reverse implied situation.
i think it would be a bigger mistake to lose value here longterm than it would be to bet/call against an unknown to verify some info. so yes, bet/call if you really want to make sure you see his hand. obv, bet/fold is correct vs. a lp, as you said.without any backdoor draws, i don't like peeling overcards when we could be in a bad reverse implied situation.
you cant just come in here and post a couple things that "contribute to fcp" and expect everyone to believe you actually do good things for this community. Nice try though.