Lhe Challenge(?) Thread

PokerStars Limit Hold'em, $4.00 BB (2 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is Button with :D, :club:SB raises, Hero 3-bets, SB callsFlop: (6 SB) :D, :3h, :5c(2 players)Hero bets, SB callsTurn: (4 BB) :D(2 players)Hero bets, SB raises, Hero callsRiver: (8 BB) :D(2 players)Hero checks, SB bets, Hero raises, 1 foldTotal pot: $40 (10 BB) | Rake: $0Results:Hero didn't show :4h, :ts (nothing).Outcome: Hero won $40
interested to hear your thought process on this. doesn't seem like a good spot to bluff as you likely either have the best hand or are going to get called by a hand you beat.
  • Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

flush has me currently at 325 to 75.his base strategy is very strong. at this point i'm disheartened in quite a few things. 1) making anyone in this thread better.2) feeling obligated to play.3) having just played for 3 hours with a totally askew risk/reward equation because my ego is involved in this tournament.
You don't want the players in THIS THREAD to improve?
it's bad for my long term financial situation no matter how i slice it.
It's interesting this comes up now, because despite a terrible day, results-wise, I had a day of phenomenal play, and it's really just a matter of time before I catch you. While you're making goo-goo eyes at your girlfriend or reading a book or otherwise "bettering" your quality of life, Dutch is down on the hustle, grinding. Keep an eye in the rearview, faggots.If I had a camera, I'd post a picture of the bottle I just pissed in as proof of my commitment your financial demise/my existential demise.
interested to hear your thought process on this. doesn't seem like a good spot to bluff as you likely either have the best hand or are going to get called by a hand you beat.
I don't want to post my thought process quite yet as the match is still going on.I probably shouldn't have posted that hand, but its unlikely that navy and I will play HU vs each other again after this, unless its for a bracelet. :club: lolI think the only reason I have a lead right now is because Navy might have been fighting with his girlfriend because this was taking so long. lol That and I started running good.

I'm going to shit, shower, have some kind of canned dinner, fire up my tilt-blockers (which henceforth shall be referred to as "hater blockers") and play as long as I can sit up straight. Today is the Day of Dutch, and will go down in history as the day one player broke every account on Stars.

Recovered most of what I lost yesterday. Nice to run good again. Favorite hand of the day. Do you think I missed a turn bet? Full Tilt Poker Game #9163496575: Table Mack (heads up) - $2/$4 - Limit Hold'em - 15:10:20 ET - 2008/11/25Seat 1: Mattnxtc ($47.50)Seat 2: nicholas226 ($107)Mattnxtc posts the small blind of $1nicholas226 posts the big blind of $2The button is in seat #1*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Mattnxtc [2d Qh]Mattnxtc raises to $4nicholas226 calls $2*** FLOP *** [Qd 5c 2c]nicholas226 checksMattnxtc bets $2nicholas226 calls $2*** TURN *** [Qd 5c 2c] [Qs]nicholas226 checksMattnxtc bets $4nicholas226 raises to $8Mattnxtc calls $4*** RIVER *** [Qd 5c 2c Qs] [Qc]nicholas226 bets $4Mattnxtc raises to $8nicholas226 raises to $12Mattnxtc raises to $16nicholas226 calls $4*** SHOW DOWN ***Mattnxtc shows [2d Qh] four of a kind, Queensnicholas226 mucksMattnxtc wins the pot ($59.50) with four of a kind, Queens*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $60 | Rake $0.50Board: [Qd 5c 2c Qs Qc]Seat 1: Mattnxtc (small blind) showed [2d Qh] and won ($59.50) with four of a kind, QueensSeat 2: nicholas226 (big blind) mucked [Ac Ah] - a full house, Queens full of Aces

it's bad for my long term financial situation no matter how i slice it.
I understand where you're coming from, but do you think that if you participate in strat discussion there is no chance of anybody in this thread helping you become a better player in any way? If 5 people become better because of your participation does it cost you more in lifetime earnings than what you will gain throughout your lifetime because of what you have learned? Also, you might not be able to immediately quantify what you learn from the discussion here, but every second we spend thinking about and talking about poker makes us better, and every decision we make while playing is made with the entirety of those thoughts and discussions in mind. Even if its not part of your conscious thought, its still there, it still has an effect. Over the entirety of your poker career you will make many millions of decisions, and the discussions you have with the people in this thread will be a factor in every single one of them. Also, fwiw, you're not the only one who plays poker for a living that spent 3.5 hours last night playing with no chance to make money. I'll admit I probably got a little more out of it than you did, the main thing being a bit of confidence, but if you wanted to talk about what I was thinking in any of the hands vs you I would be happy to do that.

holy ****ing christ almighty, i'm good at running bad.the good news is that the cereus games are sick good.the bad news is that i've lost to runner runner more than i've won pots, and am 0/11 on draws to start the day. stuck a healthy 40BB right off. nice.

I think I had one of those break through moments in huhu. I played a donk I have trouble against...he was a 60/1/1 type player and got up about 2 buy ins on me. This is a player I really shouldnt have problems with except that I usually try and force it. I stayed calm and slowly ground out a nice profit against him. Was a bit swingy and a bit longer then I would have liked, but I think I am finally getting comfortable with this kind of opponent.

God, I'm so lazy. I'll bet I put in fewer hands than anyone in this thread this month. I complain about my November downswing, but I've really only put in like 5,000-6,000 hands, probably. I'm trying for 20,000 in December, and I'm going to stop wasting so much poker time watching fucking sweat videos. At this point I'm not getting enough out of them to justify how many hands I miss my watching basically the same thing, over and over. Basically right now if I jump out to an early 15BB win in the first 100 hands, I lock it up, and fire up a video.I don't know that volume is going to give my particularly awesome bankroll results immediately, but I think if nothing else it will help me uncover some leaks.

Also, the Hater Blockers are really working out for me, today. I don't want to always use them because I feel like they an aid I shouldn't need once I've reached my ideal state of mind, but for the time being they're helping keep me focused on the things I can control. Hopefully never seeing my day-to-day score will help train me not to think about it at all, which is really where I'm trying to get right now.

And, because I was handling the bad run so well, November decides to hit me with yet another 125BB downswing. I must suck, because no one runs this bad. Literally every time I've committed to a long session, within 10 hands I'm now 20BB, within 50 I'm down 100BB.

1) I would like to start out as low as is advisable, rake-wise, so anyone have a decent understanding of its nature?
Rake in NL really isn't killer. I generally refuse to play lower than 5/10 on the Limit side because of rake, but I'm comfortable down to 10NL.Also, I found that NL Strat was more helpful to my development than a superthread like NL Challenge (which isn't to say that I dislike this thread).As for the 55 question, traditional theory holds that you 3-bet the 55 against LAG players, because you're very likely to have the best hand and they're not as likely to have a hand that'll pay you off, while you set-mine against the TAPs, because they're more likely to have a hand that justifies the implied odds. That said, I go against the grain and prefer calling more often in both spots.
I think I had one of those break through moments in huhu. I played a donk I have trouble against...he was a 60/1/1 type player and got up about 2 buy ins on me. This is a player I really shouldnt have problems with except that I usually try and force it. I stayed calm and slowly ground out a nice profit against him. Was a bit swingy and a bit longer then I would have liked, but I think I am finally getting comfortable with this kind of opponent.
When I am playing my best it doesn't feel forced at all. It almost feels like I'm dancing with the cards and the rest of the table, moving in beat and harmony with the game taking whats mine and letting go of what isn't. My biggest and most unnecessary losses have come from when I was "forcing" it. I know I'm being very abstract and we might not even mean the same thing by "forcing" it, but fwiw if I sit down and feel myself starting to play that way I get up right away and go do something else. Thats how destructive I think that attitude/mindset is.