Lhe Challenge(?) Thread

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is UB that soft, again? Rakeback?
it's retarded soft since cereus started. granted, i've only played for two days on the new network, but it's so ridiculously easy that i honestly LOL at the screen fairly often.rb, i believe, is 30% ish. i can hook it up if'n you want.
I understand where you're coming from, but do you think that if you participate in strat discussion there is no chance of anybody in this thread helping you become a better player in any way? If 5 people become better because of your participation does it cost you more in lifetime earnings than what you will gain throughout your lifetime because of what you have learned? Also, you might not be able to immediately quantify what you learn from the discussion here, but every second we spend thinking about and talking about poker makes us better, and every decision we make while playing is made with the entirety of those thoughts and discussions in mind. Even if its not part of your conscious thought, its still there, it still has an effect. Over the entirety of your poker career you will make many millions of decisions, and the discussions you have with the people in this thread will be a factor in every single one of them. Also, fwiw, you're not the only one who plays poker for a living that spent 3.5 hours last night playing with no chance to make money. I'll admit I probably got a little more out of it than you did, the main thing being a bit of confidence, but if you wanted to talk about what I was thinking in any of the hands vs you I would be happy to do that.
More and more good players seem to feel like navybuttons does about this. I see a lot less good advice and discusion in poker forums than I used to, and a ton of excellent players who used to openly and freely talk about all sorts of things have stopped posting. I'm not sure how I feel about it. As far as limit holdem goes my game is such where the good posters have more to offer me than I them and I will happily discuss anything I know in a public forum. But for plo8 which is the game I'm best at there are actually things I won't talk about anymore and I even get kind of annoyed when people post about certain things. Its probably just an effect of the poker boom slowing down and the guys drying up and getting tougher. While this just means that yesterdays marginal winners will become todays loser, the problem is that enough of yesterdays marginal winners have the foundation to learn some pretty advanced things.It sucks, but what can you do?
it's retarded soft since cereus started. granted, i've only played for two days on the new network, but it's so ridiculously easy that i honestly LOL at the screen fairly often.rb, i believe, is 30% ish. i can hook it up if'n you want.
I'll let you know. At this pace I'll bust this roll pretty soon and have to reload somewhere, anyway.
When I am playing my best it doesn't feel forced at all. It almost feels like I'm dancing with the cards and the rest of the table, moving in beat and harmony with the game taking whats mine and letting go of what isn't. My biggest and most unnecessary losses have come from when I was "forcing" it. I know I'm being very abstract and we might not even mean the same thing by "forcing" it, but fwiw if I sit down and feel myself starting to play that way I get up right away and go do something else. Thats how destructive I think that attitude/mindset is.
Your pretty close...this is just a guy who is a loose passive calling station and I kept trying to bet him out of the hand when he is calling the flop and turn with basically any two. I finally slowed it down and started just value towning him with the good hands and just getting to the river with the marginal hands.

I would be interested to see what the huhu tables are like at the new site...I havent even looked to see what it looks like...anybody know what they are like? Are they doing the bonuses like AP used to have where you could get sick amounts of rakeback and bonuses/

I would be interested to see what the huhu tables are like at the new site...I havent even looked to see what it looks like...anybody know what they are like? Are they doing the bonuses like AP used to have where you could get sick amounts of rakeback and bonuses/
i've watched them a bit, and most of the ppl that play are old ap regs that are beatable, but not by a significant margin. i think the huhu games are still better on ftp for the most part.
More and more good players seem to feel like navybuttons does about this. I see a lot less good advice and discusion in poker forums than I used to, and a ton of excellent players who used to openly and freely talk about all sorts of things have stopped posting.
I thought this was due to their commitments with training sites. If you look over at the red level forums at pokerroad I think that there are still alot of great players willing to give advice. I have only seen 1 Phil Ivey post about stratergy and he has written no books or appeared at any trainning sites. However you will often hear DN talk about him learning how to play tourny PLO from ivey. If you want to master all the games I really dont think you can do it by yourself.

I just realized I still have a few bucks on UB, so I decided to screw around and play some .2/.4 HU. I broke the guy's stack, and still lost quite a few bets to the rake. (Also, at that table, it seemed to be a 4-cent bb, no raising, and then played like normal after that.

I have 7 dollars and some odd cents on UB. I've decided that in an effort to rebuild my confidence, I'm going to try to run this bitch up, ala Smash. Thoughts?
go for it.

oh sure, let's finish the ****ing day by running the 2nd nut two card flush into the nut flush vs a 70/55/4. it's not like i needed that last 10BB.edit: i whined prematurely, my bad. a nice 65BB day for me.

More and more good players seem to feel like navybuttons does about this. I see a lot less good advice and discusion in poker forums than I used to, and a ton of excellent players who used to openly and freely talk about all sorts of things have stopped posting. I'm not sure how I feel about it. As far as limit holdem goes my game is such where the good posters have more to offer me than I them and I will happily discuss anything I know in a public forum. But for plo8 which is the game I'm best at there are actually things I won't talk about anymore and I even get kind of annoyed when people post about certain things. Its probably just an effect of the poker boom slowing down and the guys drying up and getting tougher. While this just means that yesterdays marginal winners will become todays loser, the problem is that enough of yesterdays marginal winners have the foundation to learn some pretty advanced things.It sucks, but what can you do?
I know the feeling that you're talking about, and it is a natural reaction. It happens to me more when I see people giving good mtt advice to people who really need it. Probably because I'm a more advanced mtt player than I am a lhe player. We have an asset, and we naturally want to guard it. I still feel like we're missing something when we think that its bad and we're only costing ourselves money if we help somebody out with their game. There are ways we benefit from it that we don't think about. Poker is obviously a very social game. When somebody gets excited about the game it has an effect on his friends/family and acquaintances and brings them into the game. I know I am responsible for a lot of people getting into the game. Each person that starts off as a loser then progresses into a break even player and then eventually into a winner brings other people into the game with them over the course of their progression, and each of those people all start off as losers, and they all encourage other people that they know to play, and the cycle continues. Now what makes people keep playing? Obviously because they think they can make money. But if they're always losing their $50 deposit they're not going to stay enthusiastic about the game for very long, and they're not going to talk about the game with their friends and family and coworkers and such. So we, as the more advanced players, actually NEED people to get better, so that they stay excited about the game longer, so that they bring more new people into the game, so that we can continue this little pyramid scheme we have going. Therefor if we can offer a little bit of advice to a weaker player, and make somebody a little bit better, its a good thing. And if we can offer a bit more advanced advice to a bit more advanced players its still not a bad thing for a couple reasons. The information we give trickles down to weaker players when this person talks about the game with other people (remember this is good), also, this more advanced thinker can also in turn make us a better player at some point by providing a different prospective or a new idea, or perhaps notice a leak or a way we can be exploited and tell us about it so that we can fix it. Also, ultimately it is up to ourselves to stay ahead of the curve. We must always be thinking about the game and making ourselves better. We can't get lazy and tell ourselves "ok, I've learned enough, I'm just going to play with the knowledge I already have and that should be enough to keep making money". We deserve to have our edge cut down if that's how we think. Just remember, poker is a social game, and that is the biggest key to us always making money. You'll have a much easier time swimming with the current than you will if you try to build a dam to stop it.I hope what I just said makes at least a little sense.
PokerStars Limit Hold'em, $4.00 BB (2 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is Button with :D , :club:SB raises, Hero 3-bets, SB callsFlop: (6 SB) :D , :3h , :5c(2 players)Hero bets, SB callsTurn: (4 BB) :D(2 players)Hero bets, SB raises, Hero callsRiver: (8 BB) :D(2 players)Hero checks, SB bets, Hero raises, 1 foldTotal pot: $40 (10 BB) | Rake: $0Results:Hero didn't show :4h , :ts (nothing).Outcome: Hero won $40
interested to hear your thought process on this. doesn't seem like a good spot to bluff as you likely either have the best hand or are going to get called by a hand you beat.
It's very slow in here today, and I'm feeling the effects of the tryptophan a little too much to play right now so I guess I'll try to explain this hand, even though our match isn't finished yet. I wouldn't do this too much against weaker villains, but against NB, because he's so aggressive, I think it's a good spot for a valuebluff. On a drawy board like this, my hand definitely has some equity against his range. A good part of his range beats me, but if instead of calling on the river I put in one more bet, a decent portion of his range that beats me cannot call a river c/r...especially since I had previously check-raised him on the river on two different occasions, both times getting called and I showed him strong hands that were well ahead of him. As this session with Navy unfolded I was actually able to make a lot of very thin value bets against him in situations where I probably never would have attempted them against different villains. I'm not saying that I'm close to his level as a player by any means though. I'm sure he would still beat me soundly if we could play for an extended period. I hope everyone is having a good thanksgiving.

so, I imagine some of you have gotten that pm from dirty diana, the nigerian scammer.. I just got this message from her..

Hello DearThanks for your response and how are you living? hope fine.I recieved your message and i will like you to get back from my private email address for security reason and more clearrification regarding this project.Dear i will like you to know that i proposer to your is 100% real and there is know problem and i have all the documents and certificate that cover the fund in the security company which the security company issued my late father on the day of deposit.Sincerely i need your help in this regard yes i know that we have not met befor but a day is a noff for one to no one another.I will stop hear and hopping to read from you soon with my private email address :dianarobertsd@yahoo.comThanksYour's Sincerely.Ms Diana Roberts.
and I have just sent her an email from my Myron Cope email address ( an obscure, hilarious, and now dearly departed Pittsburgh Steelers announcer), inquiring more about her problem ( and signing the name "Myron Cope", which is probably funny only to me). I don't know where else to put this, as i don't want to put it in the thread about this scammer, but I do want to talk about it. Bear with me, and I'll report progress ( if any) from my email exchanges with her.
I post a dope Nigerian scam baiting lead, and all you have to say is that? I don't even know you.
Haven't even seen it. I'm in grinder mode, which allocates 99.9% of brain function towards the play of poker and the use of 5-year-old black slang, for some reason. And thus, when I'm stacking (off) paper, I've got my hater-blockers on, and therefore I ain't be fucksing with you. Ya'feel?All I know is my game be straight murder, dog.Edit: I read that back, and actually opened edit mode to tack ", dog" on to the end.
Haven't even seen it. I'm in grinder mode, which allocates 99.9% of brain function towards the play of poker and the use of 5-year-old black slang, for some reason. And thus, when I'm stacking (off) paper, I've got my hater-blockers on, and therefore I ain't be fucksing with you. Ya'feel?All I know is my game be straight murder, dog.Edit: I read that back, and actually opened edit mode to tack ", dog" on to the end.
Well, I'll requote it, just for you, Nigga... Some Nigerian scammer has been spamming people in PM with a typical scam, there are several threads about it, all saying the same thing. I responded to her, apparently ( though I don't remember doing so, as I never got the original PM, but I made a few comments about it in the threads) anywho, Here's the main thread about this spammerhttp://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...howtopic=131053and here's the unique message I got from "her"
Hello DearThanks for your response and how are you living? hope fine.I recieved your message and i will like you to get back from my private email address for security reason and more clearrification regarding this project.Dear i will like you to know that i proposer to your is 100% real and there is know problem and i have all the documents and certificate that cover the fund in the security company which the security company issued my late father on the day of deposit.Sincerely i need your help in this regard yes i know that we have not met befor but a day is a noff for one to no one another.I will stop hear and hopping to read from you soon with my private email address :dianarobertsd@yahoo.comThanksYour's Sincerely.Ms Diana Roberts.
and I have just sent her an email from my Myron Cope email address ( an obscure, hilarious, and now dearly departed Pittsburgh Steelers announcer), inquiring more about her problem ( and signing the name "Myron Cope", which is probably funny only to me).