Lhe Challenge(?) Thread

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subject: DonkbettingI know there are occasions where there might be a good spot for one. Under what scenarios should it be done, and what exactly are we trying to accomplish?Vs. what type of player? HU or multi-way?

Subject: DonkbettingI know there are occasions where there might be a good spot for one. Under what scenarios should it be done, and what exactly are we trying to accomplish?Vs. what type of player? HU or multi-way?
looshle made a good post about this somewhere once (maybe in here, i don't remember), something to the effect of: if your opponents are going to autoraise them, bet/3bet in normal c/r spots until they adjust, and then you can start bluffing more cheaply, and thus, more often.if your opponents are not good enough to autoraise them, nor good enough to ever fold to them, then they're just losing you value and not successful as bluffs, though. it's probably worth saying that i work the above line of thought against no more than 5 players that i regularly play against.
looshle made a good post about this somewhere once (maybe in here, i don't remember), something to the effect of: if your opponents are going to autoraise them, bet/3bet in normal c/r spots until they adjust, and then you can start bluffing more cheaply, and thus, more often.if your opponents are not good enough to autoraise them, nor good enough to ever fold to them, then they're just losing you value and not successful as bluffs, though. it's probably worth saying that i work the above line of thought against no more than 5 players that i regularly play against.
I'm so baked right now. So I should donkbet into somebody like myself? I find that most of the time I raise a donkbet if I feel like I have any equity in the hand. The letters are floating in mid air.

I have actually been using it in situations against unimaginative people. If I am in a blind position and the flop should have missed him, I will sometimes lead out with ATC instead of going for the c/r

I'm so baked right now.
lol i hate you so much.
So I should donkbet into somebody like myself? I find that most of the time I raise a donkbet if I feel like I have any equity in the hand. The letters are floating in mid air.
it's more about staying one level ahead than anything else, imo. like, you only want to be doing this sort of thing against people that are going to allow themselves to be leveled because they're somewhat sophisticated.the ultimate goal is to get past the step of "just donkbetting when you have equity" or whatever and actually have the play exploit your opponents. this happens when you either utilize donkbetting to be able to b/3b your good hands for extra value OR when you're able to donkbet as a bluff and make your bluffs cheaper (which, in turn, allows you to bluff more often as they don't need to work as often).
when you're able to donkbet as a bluff and make your bluffs cheaper (which, in turn, allows you to bluff more often as they don't need to work as often).
typically it's same price as c/r. in a HUHU (heads up heads up) setting you're typical flop donk is 1 bet to win 4 and 1 to win 3 on the turn, on a flop c/r you're putting in 2 to win 5 on the flop and 1 to win 4 on the turn. where most of your real value from donkbet bluffing comes from is that the more you do it the more comfortable you are with the spots, and if you're more comfortable than your opponent in the later streets you're going to be able to win the equity game slightly easier. note to self: SERIOUSLY quit posting strat!

i almost had a losing session this evening, but i came roaring back to a 0.5BB win in 800 hands, so i'm still undefeated in october. WOOT!but gawd, the games were terrible this evening. as in, like, not soft at all. boo.

Once this hand gets to HU on the turn, should I be raising this vs a 73/8/1.8? Anything else you see wrong with this hand?PokerStars Limit Hold'em, $0.20 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is Button with 4heart.gif, Aheart.gifUTG calls, MP raises, 1 fold, Hero calls, SB calls, 1 fold, UTG callsFlop: (9 SB) 8heart.gif, 7heart.gif, 4diamond.gif(4 players)SB bets, UTG calls, MP calls, Hero raises, SB calls, UTG calls, MP callsTurn: (8.5 BB) 8spade.gif(4 players)SB bets, 2 folds, Hero callsRiver: (10.5 BB) 9spade.gif(2 players)SB bets, Hero callsTotal pot: $2.50 (12.5 BB) | Rake: $0.12Results in white below: Hero mucked 4heart.gif, Aheart.gif (two pair, eights and fours).SB had 7club.gif, Qclub.gif (two pair, eights and sevens).Outcome: SB won $2.38
Perhaps I'm a nit, but this seems like a reasonably standard fold pre-flop.
Perhaps I'm a nit, but this seems like a reasonably standard fold pre-flop.
Heh. I didn't even look at that in my discussion of the hand, but yeah it's pretty close, and I probably just fold.

Today's events have been nothing short of cataclysmic. I hate poker, I hate life, I hate you all.Edit: An interesting thought: if I were to move up to a high enough limit, I would only need to win a few BBs to be even. I could double my bankroll in a couple hands. I'll post again to let you know how that goes.

i am getting absolutely annihilated on the river today, the games are suuuuuper terrible, and i am quite terrible at making pairs.the second thing in that list is what bothers me the most. CEREUS MERGER ONE TIME.

i am getting absolutely annihilated on the river today, the games are suuuuuper terrible, and i am quite terrible at making pairs.
I can't pair at all. It's ****ing horrible. I haven't paired in hours. Days, maybe. No. NNNNOOOOOOO!!! NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! **** **** FCUK NO!!! GOD WHY DO U H8 ME!!!!!!!!!AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!I quit. I'm not sure I'm thinking unbiasedly right now.
I quit. I'm not sure I'm thinking unbiasedly right now.
this is probably a good idea ;)lol "sexygirl 09" is just pummeling me, cold calling three with anything from JJ to 47o, and showing it down like a muppet. i need me a good ol' comeback.

bink?Absolute PokerLimit Holdem Ring gameLimit: $3/$62 playersConverterPre-flop: (2 players) Hero is SB with K :ts 3 :club:Hero raises, BB calls.Flop: A :D 5 :D J :4h (4SB, 2 players)BB checks, Hero bets, BB calls.Turn: 3 :5c (3BB, 2 players)BB bets, Hero calls.River: 4 :D (5BB, 2 players)BB bets, Hero raises, BB 3-bets, Hero calls.Results:Final pot: 11BBBB Shows 2c 8si'm actually not stuck too bad today, but this pretty much sums up my day so far. villain here is a retard who thinks he has an edge on me and dumps between 20 and 40BB to me a day. until today, when he had the dealer's penis in his mouth.edit: now i'm stuck fairly bad today. you know how sometimes you take those lines that are passive so that they keep bluffing? they don't work too good when they hit queen high on the river about 25 times in a row, lol.

whoops.
no, navy, raising the turn isn't correct against this guy ;)o hai why not flop quads to my boat HU. that'd be awesome. that's it i quit. stuck 80BB today, still looking at my october graph to stay happy though.