Lhe Challenge(?) Thread

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i was up 50BB tonight, but i managed to drop 40BB in two orbits flopping two sets, two straights, and an overpair, and losing with all of them (all on the river except one straight where a dude flopped the nut straight over top, bleh). i'm starting to believe in curses.edit: got a lot of it back in 2 orbits, too. god, showdown monkeys are full of variance.lol@poker so hardAbsolute PokerLimit Holdem Ring gameLimit: $3/$63 playersConverterPre-flop: (3 players) Hero is BB with K :D 9 :club: Button calls, SB calls, Hero checks.Flop: 3 :ts 5 :4h 5 :D (3SB, 3 players)SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.Turn: 7 :5c (1.5BB, 3 players)SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.River: 7 :D (1.5BB, 3 players)SB checks, Hero bets, Button raises, SB folds, Hero calls.Results:Final pot: 5.5BBButton Shows 4h JcHero Shows Kc 9d

Absolute PokerLimit Holdem Ring gameLimit: $3/$63 playersConverterPre-flop: (3 players) Hero is BB with K :D 9 :club: Button calls, SB calls, Hero checks.Flop: 3 :ts 5 :4h 5 :D (3SB, 3 players)SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.Turn: 7 :5c (1.5BB, 3 players)SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.River: 7 :D (1.5BB, 3 players)SB checks, Hero bets, Button raises, SB folds, Hero calls.Results:Final pot: 5.5BBButton Shows 4h JcHero Shows Kc 9d
EZ call, as the kids would say.Well...maybe not so easy, but I wouldn't instafold.
EZ call, as the kids would say.Well...maybe not so easy, but I wouldn't instafold.
oh, for sure. i was mostly LOLing at his play. like, does that ever work unless i have a total bluff and the guy behind has air, too?
I'm playing a small buyin lhe mtt on Stars. 63 get paid and there are 73 left, and people are already stalling so that they can mincash.
told ya they were teh lol :)two of my ****tard nemeses just sat with me to play 3 handed, and in the first orbit they have sucked out on a set and dodged 2 double draws already. lol. one of these days i will get some money off these 65/45 bastiges. edit: it will not happen tonight. good god, they're running like christ himself.

finished 33/441 in the donkfest.The final hand was representative of my entire month...PokerStars Limit Hold'em, $4.00+$0.40 Tournament, 2000/4000 Blinds (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comPreflop: Hero is MP2 with :ts, :D2 folds, MP1 raises, Hero 3-bets, 5 folds, MP1 callsFlop: (7.5 SB) :qh, :club:, :4h(2 players)MP1 bets, Hero raises, MP1 3-bets, Hero caps, MP1 callsTurn: (7.75 BB) :5c(2 players)MP1 bets, Hero callsRiver: (8.17 BB) :D(2 players, 1 all-in)Total pot: t32680 (8.17 BB)MP1 had :qh, :D (three of a kind, nines).Hero had :D, :3h (one pair, Aces).Outcome: MP1 won t32680

:club: ggi'm gonna start drinking heavily very soon. i was actually up a couple hundred this evening, then one of my nemeses just went off like a fireball, capping total nonsense and just running insanely hot, and now i'm back to even tonight, which means stuck a lot on the day. goddammit.
1) You don't post when you are running good here ever which you clearly do if you've been a pro for over 2 years
i'm unclear on what it is you are saying.if you are saying i don't post when i run good there's a VERY good reason why i don't. consider which pros you see posting their results all the time.
2) It's pretty unrealistic to expect everyone to have the same positive outlook on everything that he obviously has
if you had my outlook you would see how it is in NO way unrealistic. that's why i spend my time telling people about it. i didn't see that i was capable of it, and now that i know i am i enjoy trying to help others to the same place.
3) The point I made in the post two posts above, which contradicts his whole positive attitude.
i've tried many different approaches to helping jamie to see the world from my perspective because i believe i get more enjoyment out of the time spent playing poker than he does (this may not be the case, but it's just what i feel). so while my recent post to this end (as i try different ways to find chinks in his armour) may not seem as positive as my earlier attempts, that doesn't mean that it's not filled with a world of love for jamie. it's still my deep belief that there's so much poetry in the game it's silly to not enjoy it all the time.
:club: ggi'm gonna start drinking heavily very soon. i was actually up a couple hundred this evening, then one of my nemeses just went off like a fireball, capping total nonsense and just running insanely hot, and now i'm back to even tonight, which means stuck a lot on the day. goddammit.
Think about where you'll be pokerwise in April of 2009. The shit you experienced today will be meaningless.I can see myself looking back on this month with fond memories because it made me a better player and gave me a much better perspective. The cards won't always fall the wrong way. In the long run the good players win and the bad players lose. The good thing about when the bad players win is that it gives them false hope and they'll continue to play. As long as we continue to work as hard as we can to become better players and continue to understand the game on a higher level than our opponents we know that the game is on our side.
i've tried many different approaches to helping jamie to see the world from my perspective because i believe i get more enjoyment out of the time spent playing poker than he does (this may not be the case, but it's just what i feel). so while my recent post to this end (as i try different ways to find chinks in his armour) may not seem as positive as my earlier attempts, that doesn't mean that it's not filled with a world of love for jamie. it's still my deep belief that there's so much poetry in the game it's silly to not enjoy it all the time.
fwiw, i don't want you to think that i don't enjoy the game--i do immensely, and a lot of my frustration when i run bad comes out of the fact that i do love the game so much and feel like i'm getting closer and closer to perfect at it (whatever that might mean, and i'm obviously still a ways off). i had/have plenty of other career options, and having tried a lot of them, the idea of being an informal academic while playing cards is far and away the one i like best at this point in my life, even if i could conceivably make more money right now doing something else or investing time to do something else later on.i understand what i you mean about not being affected by swings. i've lived with you doing nothing but poker for two months :club:. but i can tell you that despite my somewhat stoic demeanor, i'm a much more emotional person than you seem to be, generally, or at least when it comes to feeling like people depend on me in concrete terms. and that, alongside the fact that i'm paying for two people and two kitties to live on an "irresponsible" bankroll to do so for the time being means that the goal you may have reached yourself is absolutely, completely impossible for me, and to strive for it would be both unrealistic and probably counterproductive at some point. that might change when i get back to where i have some real buffers in terms of savings and stuff, but i'm grinding it out with very little room for error right now, and the stress definitely needs some venting now and again. tbh, i don't really care whether people read what i lkasdjfal;skdjf about or what they have to say about it, since it's a pretty surefire way of keeping me from actually tilting at the tables, which is what really matters in the end.and chris, dustin makes a very good point about never really letting your opponents know when you're running good. it's the exact same reason i rarely say detailed things about how/why i'm winning. i really would rather people think that i'm a raging tiltmonkey or whatever and give me that much action if they really want to seek out my posts in a forum.****, so if you are doing that, ignore the last paragraph, lol.i also made a decent comeback tonight thanks to getting really close to awesome at HULHE.
i'm unclear on what it is you are saying.if you are saying i don't post when i run good there's a VERY good reason why i don't. consider which pros you see posting their results all the time.
Dustin elaborate please :club:

lol limp reraiseing at 6maxthere are two maniacs at the table. Full Tilt Poker Game #8286301685: Table Gilespie (6 max) - $2/$4 - Limit Hold'em - 4:08:04 ET - 2008/09/30Seat 1: Nubi22 ($16)Seat 2: antistuff ($117)Seat 3: DirectorFTP ($232.50)Seat 4: dweezy84 ($181)Seat 5: eimermann ($68.50)Seat 6: mamafatsack ($105)mamafatsack posts the small blind of $1Nubi22 posts the big blind of $2The button is in seat #5*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to antistuff [Ah Ad]antistuff calls $2DirectorFTP raises to $4dweezy84 foldseimermann foldsmamafatsack foldsNubi22 calls $2antistuff raises to $6DirectorFTP raises to $8Nubi22 calls $4antistuff calls $2*** FLOP *** [Kh 2d 6d]Nubi22 checksantistuff bets $2DirectorFTP calls $2Nubi22 has 15 seconds left to actNubi22 folds*** TURN *** [Kh 2d 6d] [6c]antistuff bets $4DirectorFTP calls $4*** RIVER *** [Kh 2d 6d 6c] [Td]antistuff bets $4DirectorFTP raises to $8antistuff calls $4*** SHOW DOWN ***DirectorFTP shows [Jc Js] two pair, Jacks and Sixesantistuff shows [Ah Ad] two pair, Aces and Sixesantistuff wins the pot ($51) with two pair, Aces and Sixes*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $53 | Rake $2Board: [Kh 2d 6d 6c Td]Seat 1: Nubi22 (big blind) folded on the FlopSeat 2: antistuff showed [Ah Ad] and won ($51) with two pair, Aces and SixesSeat 3: DirectorFTP showed [Jc Js] and lost with two pair, Jacks and SixesSeat 4: dweezy84 didn't bet (folded)Seat 5: eimermann (button) didn't bet (folded)Seat 6: mamafatsack (small blind) folded before the Flop

not betting this river is a huge mistake.it worked out ok here though.Full Tilt PokerLimit Holdem Ring gameLimit: $2/$46 playersConverterPre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with K :D K :club: UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, CO raises, Button folds, Hero 3-bets, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.Flop: Q :D K :4h 4 :ts (8.5SB, 3 players)Hero bets, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.Turn: K :D (5.75BB, 3 players)Hero bets, UTG+1 calls, CO folds.River: 5 :5c (7.75BB, 2 players)Hero checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero raises, UTG+1 3-bets, Hero caps, UTG+1 calls.Results:Final pot: 15.75BB

damn i felt lost hereboth opponents are playing like 35/24/3 i am unsure of their preflop capping rangesthis is not a fold i normally make, so i felt unsure about it. Full Tilt PokerLimit Holdem Ring gameLimit: $2/$44 playersConverterPre-flop: (4 players) Hero is Button with 8 :D 8 :club:UTG raises, Hero 3-bets, SB caps, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.Flop: 2 :ts 7 :D 2 :4h (11.5SB, 3 players)SB bets, UTG raises, Hero

damn i felt lost hereboth opponents are playing like 35/24/3 i am unsure of their preflop capping rangesthis is not a fold i normally make, so i felt unsure about it. Full Tilt PokerLimit Holdem Ring gameLimit: $2/$44 playersConverterPre-flop: (4 players) Hero is Button with 8 :D 8 :club:UTG raises, Hero 3-bets, SB caps, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.Flop: 2 :ts 7 :D 2 :4h (11.5SB, 3 players)SB bets, UTG raises, Hero
hmm, that's a weird hand. i think i normally 3bet against most of the 35/25 types i play against (4h at least), call a cap (i believe we'd be priced in for one more bet), and fold the turn if it's not a spade or 8. if you just fold to the two bets, i think you could fairly often be folding to a worse hand, but if you 3bet and go from there, i don't think that anyone's gonna try to push you off with AK or a smaller pair.if people don't cap light evar, folding is not a mistake, imo. but if you don't know anything about how they're capping, i would probably go with the above.
i'm unclear on what it is you are saying.if you are saying i don't post when i run good there's a VERY good reason why i don't. consider which pros you see posting their results all the time. if you had my outlook you would see how it is in NO way unrealistic. that's why i spend my time telling people about it. i didn't see that i was capable of it, and now that i know i am i enjoy trying to help others to the same place. i've tried many different approaches to helping jamie to see the world from my perspective because i believe i get more enjoyment out of the time spent playing poker than he does (this may not be the case, but it's just what i feel). so while my recent post to this end (as i try different ways to find chinks in his armour) may not seem as positive as my earlier attempts, that doesn't mean that it's not filled with a world of love for jamie. it's still my deep belief that there's so much poetry in the game it's silly to not enjoy it all the time.
I understand the first point.Regarding your third point, I can appreciate your "devils advocate" perspective, and I do the same thing on a daily basis. Not in the same sense you do, but to challenge people to really think and understand what they are saying. So I get your premise, and I appreciate you clarifying for someone nosying their way into your business, as I did here.I disagree strongly on your second point. Just because you enjoy something doesn't mean others should want to, and you certainly shouldn't feel the want or need to lead them there without them showing their own interest in getting there. If you want to tell people about it that is your choice, but IMO you shouldn't be "trying to help others to the same place".
Dustin elaborate please :club:
graphsxp4.jpgthis is what i picture progress graphs to look like. the one on the left is for humans in general. notice that as we invent computers our life and understanding changes drastically in relation to time. it's the same thing with the poker one on the right, as internet poker floods the progress of the mean increases faster than it otherwise would have. this was more or less just a visualization that i came up with last night and wanted to see it realized. i don't expect others to fully comprehend its relation to the matter.but the short answer is because letting people know that i'm winning, and how i'm winning is bad for my long term financial situation. i have little regard for the praises of others in this respect. or basically the goal is to be financially well off not to have people know that i'm financially well off.
I disagree strongly on your second point. Just because you enjoy something doesn't mean others should want to, and you certainly shouldn't feel the want or need to lead them there without them showing their own interest in getting there. If you want to tell people about it that is your choice, but IMO you shouldn't be "trying to help others to the same place".
i'm realizing this more and more. when i witness this on a personal level it used to hurt my feelings. the graph on the right above is more or less the path that each individual goes through. if you had a friend who wanted to get good at poker but failed to see it as anything other than odds you would try to show him to your place on the path. in vegas this summer i made attempts to show people certain ways to think about the game, beyond just picking up a strategy for a game that works, like a lot a lot of people do. when people showed little interest in improving their game, at first i took it personally, but now it doesn't bother me. it's no different than posting a strategy response to a hand. if someone in the NLHE challenge thread continually posted hands they misplayed why wouldn't someone say "hey, you're misplaying your hands," especially if they knew them on a personal level?
is absolutely, completely impossible for me, and to strive for it would be both unrealistic and probably counterproductive at some point.
how do you know? every time i've brought it up in here you've resigned before you even tried.i agree that at a point it is counterproductive. the ultimate goal is to be the best man you can be and having to play poker for 14 hours a day, neglecting your girlfriend, is counterproductive to that goal. why not try and reach the point of diminishing returns before you say "well it's there so why try and be the best i can be?"