• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One theory about Chigurh hiding in the hotel and Tommy Lee walking in, it was done at different times, kind of like he was hiding at noon, for one reason, and Tommy Lee was walking around at 8pm. I don't know, but it was good.JJJ, good stuff, as always.

I loved the movie all the way until the part where we find lewellen (sp) dead in the El Paso hotel. Was I the only one who was waiting for a final scene between him and chugah (again sp)? It seems like they were building the movie up to the point where there was going to be some dramatic type showdown ala "Way of the Gun" only to just have him killed by the mexican gang.
Just watched the movie for the first time tonight (totally spoiler free, no one told me anything about it other than they liked it, or they didn't), and I totally agree with this post. That point of the film is where it really just failed for me. I even backed the DVD up to see if it was really Llewellen or one of the Mexicans dressed in his clothes, since they only showed him for a second and not a very clean shot of his face. Anyway, the first 3/4ths of the film stands among the best I've ever seen, but the last quarter was just sad disappointment. I think "sad disappointment" was exactly what the Coens were going for, and they achieved it, but it's still no fun for the moviegoer. I agree with those who said that Tommy Lee wasn't really any kind of necessary in the film, but I definitely enjoyed him in this movie, as always he's an incredible actor whether he has an Academy Award nominated script to work with or if he's playing second fiddle to Steven Segal. I honestly can't remember ever seeing a character in a movie that was totally extraneous to the plot, but you didn't really feel the unnecessity until you thought about it later on. I agree with BalloonGuy's statements about why he goes to movies, I look for entertainment first and foremost. Enrichment and "learning something" if there's time after I'm entertained. Anyway, I'll probably watch this one again to see if I get anything more from it, but it's just disappointing to have so much plot buildup and to get so into the storyline just to have everything come crashing to a halt and have basically nothing get resolved as well. It's like looking at your affordable dream house for two and a half hours only to be told at the end of the visit that it's already been sold to someone else. Sure was pretty to look at though.*Edit*I just read JJJ's post with his take on the film, and I've gotta say, that's some brilliant stuff. Doesn't help with my satisfaction factor any, but it does help with the understanding of the movie itself and Tommy Lee Jones' part in it. I'm usually a pretty capable film watcher, but that corellary went right over my head.*Edit Again* Upon further reflection it's starting to help with the satisfaction factor too.

the number one complaint about this movie that i hear is nothing got resolved. it just seems like that. i think a lot of the people who say they were disappointed or caught off guard with the ending were only really caught off guard by the very last scene. all the resolution and important points of the movie occur after Llewellyn dies. i mean, llewellyn dies, carla jean moss dies, chigurh escapes after the crash, and sheriff bell retires. thats the resolution, you may not like how it turns out, but it is resolved. the movie does take a surprising turn but i dont see how thats a bad thing. whens the last time a movie has gone in the compete opposite direction you thought it would? also its not like after you see llewellyn dead at the motel the movie gets boring and less awesome, the scene with chigurh and carla jean moss is one of the best in the movie and its right near the end. then theres the car crash which is somewhat of an action scene by this movies standards. but i think people stop paying attention during the final scene and then it just ends and theyre like "wtf"i would watch the movie again and see how you feel. i cant imagine your opinion of it will go anywhere but up.

So I decided to read the book. I'm about a 1/3rd of the way through and aside from two inconsequential bits nothing is different.I gues the point is if you thought about reading the book after you've seen the film you don't need to bother. If this changes I'll post.

the number one complaint about this movie that i hear is nothing got resolved. it just seems like that. i think a lot of the people who say they were disappointed or caught off guard with the ending were only really caught off guard by the very last scene. all the resolution and important points of the movie occur after Llewellyn dies. i mean, llewellyn dies, carla jean moss dies, chigurh escapes after the crash, and sheriff bell retires. thats the resolution, you may not like how it turns out, but it is resolved. the movie does take a surprising turn but i dont see how thats a bad thing. whens the last time a movie has gone in the compete opposite direction you thought it would? also its not like after you see llewellyn dead at the motel the movie gets boring and less awesome, the scene with chigurh and carla jean moss is one of the best in the movie and its right near the end. then theres the car crash which is somewhat of an action scene by this movies standards. but i think people stop paying attention during the final scene and then it just ends and theyre like "wtf"i would watch the movie again and see how you feel. i cant imagine your opinion of it will go anywhere but up.
I approve of this post.
So I decided to read the book. I'm about a 1/3rd of the way through and aside from two inconsequential bits nothing is different.I gues the point is if you thought about reading the book after you've seen the film you don't need to bother. If this changes I'll post.
Is this your sly way of trying to convinve people you are literate?

So on the DVD bonus features... no commentary, which is awful, but they do have a segment called, "Diary of a County Sheriff". It basically explains the movie.Also in one of the other features there is a moment when the makeup guy is just talking randomly and mentions that the Coens were very adamant that (the scene at the very beginning when "sugar" chokes the cop in the police station) the first killing HAD to be the most violent. It HAD HAD HAD to be the worst. It just kind of reinforced JJJ's thoughts on the movie for me. Although there are several other deaths that throw his theory off that I forgot about.

So on the DVD bonus features... no commentary, which is awful, but they do have a segment called, "Diary of a County Sheriff". It basically explains the movie.Also in one of the other features there is a moment when the makeup guy is just talking randomly and mentions that the Coens were very adamant that (the scene at the very beginning when "sugar" chokes the cop in the police station) the first killing HAD to be the most violent. It HAD HAD HAD to be the worst. It just kind of reinforced JJJ's thoughts on the movie for me. Although there are several other deaths that throw his theory off that I forgot about.
I haven’t watched the bonus features yet.The one killing that I totally forgot about is the guy in the big office that took the neck shot. That was fairly graphic. I don't necessarily think it has to be exactly linear though; I think the idea still works. Speaking of that office scene, the accountant says, “Are you going to kill me?” and Chigurh answers something like, “That depends. Do you see me?”I took that to mean, “Since you’ve seen me I’m obviously going to kill you,” but I’ve heard some people say they interpreted it as him telling the guy that if you forget you ever saw me I’ll let you live. But I don’t think that really follows what the character was like.Also, I think someone earlier in the thread was wondering how he got arrested in the first place. He let himself get arrested because he wanted to know if he could get away later by sheer act of will (his words).

Finally saw this movie.Bought it in fact.Lots of great scenes.Great direction.Great Cinematography.Great characters......that all somehow added up to something less than their individual pieces.Before those of you who loved this movie jump all over me for "not getting" it.I "got" it. I just wasn't impressed.I guess it was sort of like the movie "21 Grams" - some people found this so profound, but I just felt like it was using a story telling technique that missed for me. "21 Grams" failed where "Memento" succeeded.For example, as Chigurh drove from the encounter with the wife, my wife and I looked at each other and said almost simultaneously: “Here comes the ‘random’ car accident” I was just not impressed with the attempt to “shock” the viewer by not giving the clean Hollywood resolution.Yeah, the Brothers C played with our assumptions of what “should” happen in a Hollywood movie. They killed off “good” characters who we liked – even the bad guys we sort of wanted to see more of. And allowed the really bad guys to live. Every time we “wanted” something to happen, they snatched away that prospect of anticipated resolution.Good for them.I guess that ultimately, they wanted us to feel that lack of satisfaction.For me, at least, that worked.

Yeah, the Brothers C played with our assumptions of what "should" happen in a Hollywood movie.
your whole post was verbal diarrhea, but this part is especially retarded because the coens didn't write it, they adapted it and followed mccarthy pretty much verbatim.
your whole post was verbal diarrhea, but this part is especially retarded because the coens didn't write it, they adapted it and followed mccarthy pretty much verbatim.
Thanks for your insight.GIGO
Finally saw this movie.Bought it in fact.Lots of great scenes.Great direction.Great Cinematography.Great characters......that all somehow added up to something less than their individual pieces.Before those of you who loved this movie jump all over me for "not getting" it.I "got" it. I just wasn't impressed.I guess it was sort of like the movie "21 Grams" - some people found this so profound, but I just felt like it was using a story telling technique that missed for me. "21 Grams" failed where "Memento" succeeded.For example, as Chigurh drove from the encounter with the wife, my wife and I looked at each other and said almost simultaneously: “Here comes the ‘random’ car accident” I was just not impressed with the attempt to “shock” the viewer by not giving the clean Hollywood resolution.Yeah, the Brothers C played with our assumptions of what “should” happen in a Hollywood movie. They killed off “good” characters who we liked – even the bad guys we sort of wanted to see more of. And allowed the really bad guys to live. Every time we “wanted” something to happen, they snatched away that prospect of anticipated resolution.Good for them.I guess that ultimately, they wanted us to feel that lack of satisfaction.For me, at least, that worked.
you should check out The Transporter. I think that would be more your speed.
I was just not impressed with the attempt to “shock” the viewer by not giving the clean Hollywood resolution.
I'll be a little less of jerk and say that is not what the movie was trying to do. You say you "got it", but i disagree.
I'll be a little less of jerk and say that is not what the movie was trying to do. You say you "got it", but i disagree.
No. You're right. I do know there is much more to it that that - and I did try and indicate that I felt that the Brothers C are amazing film makers and that aspects of this film are amazing. Fargo, Blood Simple, Raising Arizona are some of my very favorite FilmsI'm certainly not prudish in my film selection. I love "Film Noir" of any generation (I know this one isn't REALLY noir, but it is a close modern relative). I accept stories where the "good guy" loses and the "bad guy" wins. I know that this story was more about "grey" characters trying to make sense out of the pure evil of Chigurh (a reoccurring theme for the Coens - sort of like the Biker in Raising Arizona, and the Devil in the next room in Barton Fink). Ultimatley I guess that Sherriff Bell's lack of life closure is the same feeling that the Movie is trying to evoke. This is why his character is so important in the film. He lived his entire life waiting for God to reveal himself and explain the "need" for evil. He never did - and evil will be here long after the Sherriff has passed his torch to the next man willing to devote his soul to fight evil. There may be no God, but there sure is Evil.I'll watch it again - prehaps tonight - and will likely enjoy it more than the first time
No. You're right. I do know there is much more to it that that - and I did try and indicate that I felt that the Brothers C are amazing film makers and that aspects of this film are amazing. Fargo, Blood Simple, Raising Arizona are some of my very favorite FilmsI'm certainly not prudish in my film selection. I love "Film Noir" of any generation (I know this one isn't REALLY noir, but it is a close modern relative). I accept stories where the "good guy" loses and the "bad guy" wins. I know that this story was more about "grey" characters trying to make sense out of the pure evil of Chigurh (a reoccurring theme for the Coens - sort of like the Biker in Raising Arizona, and the Devil in the next room in Barton Fink). Ultimatley I guess that Sherriff Bell's lack of life closure is the same feeling that the Movie is trying to evoke. This is why his character is so important in the film. He lived his entire life waiting for God to reveal himself and explain the "need" for evil. He never did - and evil will be here long after the Sherriff has passed his torch to the next man willing to devote his soul to fight evil. There may be no God, but there sure is Evil.I'll watch it again - prehaps tonight - and will likely enjoy it more than the first time
If you have the DVD with the bonus features check out the Diary of a County Sheriff feature.

I own the movie and still couldn't help but click that link and watch the entire thing. This movie is just so awesome. The Coens are just so awesome.