Well I didn't really have a problem with the ending, I just thought that they were building the entire movie up to the point where there was going to be a major confrontation between the two.
You guys should probably use the "spoiler" function.

Go back and look at the way people were killed throughout the movie.You start with the cop and we get to see him choked to death, Chigurh pulling so hard the handcuffs are cutting his wrists, the cop's legs flailing as he struggles.The next few deaths are all pretty bloody as that weapon of his does serious damage and it's pretty gruesome. Remember what you were thinking when you first saw what that thing could do. But then notice the change. Woody Harrelson gets killed and we’re there when he’s shot, but all we see is the blood pooling up on the floor right after he shot him.When Llewelyn is killed all we see is his body some time after he was killed. We don’t know what happened, but we do know he’s dead.Llewelyn's wife is killed and all we see is Chigurh check his boots outside. We’re not even completely sure she was killed (she was). So as the movie progresses, each death becomes less and less explicit. I think this is an important directing point, if I'm interpreting it correctly.You see, there was a time when a man like Chigurh and the things he does would horrify us. But as these things become more and more commonplace, these things start to bother us less and less. Tommy Lee Jones talked about the old time sheriffs. About how some of them didn't even carry guns. Jones respected those men and he respected that time. But if he wants to do his job now, in these times, he can't be like those men. He has to be like men are today, men like Chigurh. And after coming this close to confronting him, he decided he didn't want to be a part of that world anymore. I seem to have strayed from my main point, which is that the movie can't end with a bang. That would go against the whole idea of the story, that this world is no country for old men. It has to end with Jones just slipping away because the movie is about the sheriff, not Llewelyn or Chigurh.

Anyway, that’s what I think it’s about. This is one of those movies where the more I think about it, the more I like it.I really hope there is a good director's commentary on the DVD.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go back and look at the way people were killed throughout the movie.You start with the cop and we get to see him choked to death, Chigurh pulling so hard the handcuffs are cutting his wrists, the cop's legs flailing as he struggles.The next few deaths are all pretty bloody as that weapon of his does serious damage and it's pretty gruesome. Remember what you were thinking when you first saw what that thing could do. But then notice the change. Woody Harrelson gets killed and we’re there when he’s shot, but all we see is the blood pooling up on the floor right after he shot him.When Llewelyn is killed all we see is his body some time after he was killed. We don’t know what happened, but we do know he’s dead.Llewelyn's wife is killed and all we see is Chigurh check his boots outside. We’re not even completely sure she was killed (she was). So as the movie progresses, each death becomes less and less explicit. I think this is an important directing point, if I'm interpreting it correctly.You see, there was a time when a man like Chigurh and the things he does would horrify us. But as these things become more and more commonplace, these things start to bother us less and less. Tommy Lee Jones talked about the old time sheriffs. About how some of them didn't even carry guns. Jones respected those men and he respected that time. But if he wants to do his job now, in these times, he can't be like those men. He has to be like men are today, men like Chigurh. And after coming this close to confronting him, he decided he didn't want to be a part of that world anymore. I seem to have strayed from my main point, which is that the movie can't end with a bang. That would go against the whole idea of the story, that this world is no country for old men. It has to end with Jones just slipping away because the movie is about the sheriff, not Llewelyn or Chigurh.

Anyway, that’s what I think it’s about. This is one of those movies where the more I think about it, the more I like it.I really hope there is a good director's commentary on the DVD.

Interesting take on things. I guess I got caught up in the sub plot between chugah and lewellen. I too hope there is a good directors commentary.Also on the spolier function. I just figured that at this point anyone who would join this thread will have pretty much seen it. The only reason I came in here was because I just saw it and wanted to get a different perspective on it as I got caught up in the ending.
I really hope there is a good director's commentary on the DVD.
Truer words have never been spoken.

JJJ, did you come up with this on your own? Wow... nice job.
good movie, weird/unsatisfying ending. probably what they were going for.
The ending is one of the reasons I liked it better than most movies:

The killer gets away, the hero dies and nobody knows exactly what happened to the drugs and the money (more or less).

I completely agree with you. While I suffered a letdown from all the hype, this movie still give me a lot to think about in its presentation. Certainly a movie that will give pleasure on the second or third watching, much like Fargo.
i love the scene with the boarder control guy when lewilin or whatever is trying to get back in the US.but really every scene is perfect. the coen brothers get the best actors to do the small parts in their movies.
That's one of the underrated parts of the Coen's, is how much they get out of their actors. Pretty much every Coen bro movie has outstanding acting. Part of that is picking great actors, but part of it is getting the most oout of your actors. I just love them so much. I'm so happy No country is as good as it is
The ending is one of the reasons I liked it better than most movies: I agree that I liked this movie more and more as time passed. Me and my buddy saw it and we were both bitching about the ending afterwards and saying the movie was just ok. Two days later, we both agreed we had upgraded it to really great movie with an odd ending.I still dont think the ending works that well.....I still like the first two acts much better (first half hour for me was just amazing). But i wont say the ending ruined it for me anymore. Just different....kinda like ending to Sopranos....lets you interpret it how you want which I think is both: fairly cool and a bit lazy. I want you to think my endings for me, Hollywood!
i love the scene with the boarder control guy when lewilin or whatever is trying to get back in the US.but really every scene is perfect. the coen brothers get the best actors to do the small parts in their movies.
I really enjoyed the welding conversation between woody and brolin
QFT...It's touches like that that elevate this movie, in the same way the Royale Wit Cheese conversation elevated Pulp Fiction

No Country For Old Men > There Will Be Blood, IMO.Although DDL was brilliant in There Will Be Blood, I thought No Country had the better ensemble, the better directing, and the better writing.

Why we don't see brolin die and why the movie is about Tommy Lee Jones.

the reason there is no show down with brolin is that him taking on vardim is a joke - he's totally in over his head - this isn't a normal cowboy movie the sort of good guy doesn't have a chancetommy lee - the whole movie is about how he loses his faith in justice and godhe's the ultimate wyatt earp cowboy lawmanhis whole family has a tradition of law and justicein the course of the movie jones realizes that there is no justice there is no god - it's all randomhe says in the one scene i thought that god would reveal himself to me when i got older but it didn't happenat the end of the movie his life has no meaning anymore and he's just waiting to die

Wrong, but so close to not being wrong, I'll let it slide.THis movie has restored my faith in the Coen brothers. This, to me, was their test movie, the movie that had to hit for me to see all their future movies, no questions asked ( a position they pretty much share only with movies with scripts written by Kauffman). And this movie was so unbelievably good. I need to see it a few more times to properly digest it. THe best part was I saw this in Nebraska, and at the end, the theatre groaned. Not cheered, not applauded , but groaned. That made me smile.
I just saw this tonight (hey, I have kids, I don't get out so much anymore.... I just saw Michael Clayton last week).... anyway, I can't seem to shake this movie... very few movies grip my mind like this. To all who've discussed it here.... wow, you guys are smart when you leave OT. Nice observation JJJ.This was probably the most intense movie I've seen since... well, maybe 'Blue Velvet'? The villan (Anton Chigurh) is one of the best villains in movie history, up there with Hannibal the Cannibal in the original SOTL.And as several people mentioned, as the credits rolled, someone in my row shouted "That's it? That's the end?". I laughed. What else did they want to happen? Everything was tied up, there was nowhere else to go. Spoiler for 'The Player' and this movie:

Thinking about that makes me think of the movie 'The Player'... if you've seen that, compare it to what the people here wanted. Did they want the hero to ride in and make everything OK? What kind of movie would that be?

SPOILERS:

I agree that a showdown between Llewelyn and Chigurh would've been pointless, almost a negative to the movie. It would've lessened the Chigurh character.Anyway, part of the reason I wanted to read this is to see if anyone had discussed the car accident at the end. My wife and I have several theories on it, none of them completely satisfying. I think it compares to his coins. Chigurh says he comes to their life the same way the coin did. The car accident is another of those things. But why then? And what does this say about Chigurh? Or is it saying something about the Sheriff and his battle? I don't object to it being there, but I feel like it must have some meaning that I am missing.

MORE SPOILERS:

OK, where was Chigurh when the Sheriff went back to the motel room? In the next room? Or hiding in the same room and the sheriff somehow missed him?And to people who wondered where the money went, I thought it was quite clear -- they showed the coins next to the vent.

the car crash

anton is all about random evil so the only way he is stopped is by a random nonsensicle accident - although somehow it was the only thing in the movie i saw comingalso when Brolin was hurt - supposedly in a car accident he has to pay 500 for clothing to cover it up - the kid gives him the shirt for free - he hasn';t been corrupted yet but he;s learning

MORE SPOILERS:

OK, where was Chigurh when the Sheriff went back to the motel room? In the next room? Or hiding in the same room and the sheriff somehow missed him?

I think that was tommy lee jones imagining/fearing sugar being there. That scene definitely felt that way to me more than that being a reality.

the car crash

anton is all about random evil so the only way he is stopped is by a random nonsensicle accident - although somehow it was the only thing in the movie i saw comingalso when Brolin was hurt - supposedly in a car accident he has to pay 500 for clothing to cover it up - the kid gives him the shirt for free - he hasn';t been corrupted yet but he;s learning

i thought it was more about the fact that evil cant be stopped. chigurh is badly hurt but he walks away and weve seen him recover from wounds before. i thought it was showing that evil keeps going no matter what, the last we see of him is him walking on. it also plays into the randomness of fate theme.
MORE SPOILERS:

OK, where was Chigurh when the Sheriff went back to the motel room? In the next room? Or hiding in the same room and the sheriff somehow missed him?And to people who wondered where the money went, I thought it was quite clear -- they showed the coins next to the vent.

There were two hotel rooms with the locks blown off. Chigurh was in the hotel room that Tommy Lee did not go into.

I think that was tommy lee jones imagining/fearing sugar being there. That scene definitely felt that way to me more than that being a reality.

I totally agree with this. I've always thought that it was just in Mr. Jones' imagination.
It was a Film ending, not a Movie ending.That pretty much sums it up.
This sums it up pretty well.I finally saw it today-I though it would be pretty empty but the movie was packed.