This really was an excellent movie!Does anyone else feel a weird sense of satisfaction during the scene where

Chigurh is cleaning the shotgun wound?Something about it going from gross and bloody to clean and healing always makes me feel amazing.You can almost feel his pain as he is getting into the bathtub and taking off his boots. Amazing acting with his eyes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROR at people wondering why Tommy Lee Jones was in the movie? Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

You guys should probably use the "spoiler" function.

Go back and look at the way people were killed throughout the movie.You start with the cop and we get to see him choked to death, Chigurh pulling so hard the handcuffs are cutting his wrists, the cop's legs flailing as he struggles.The next few deaths are all pretty bloody as that weapon of his does serious damage and it's pretty gruesome. Remember what you were thinking when you first saw what that thing could do. But then notice the change. Woody Harrelson gets killed and we’re there when he’s shot, but all we see is the blood pooling up on the floor right after he shot him.When Llewelyn is killed all we see is his body some time after he was killed. We don’t know what happened, but we do know he’s dead.Llewelyn's wife is killed and all we see is Chigurh check his boots outside. We’re not even completely sure she was killed (she was). So as the movie progresses, each death becomes less and less explicit. I think this is an important directing point, if I'm interpreting it correctly.You see, there was a time when a man like Chigurh and the things he does would horrify us. But as these things become more and more commonplace, these things start to bother us less and less. Tommy Lee Jones talked about the old time sheriffs. About how some of them didn't even carry guns. Jones respected those men and he respected that time. But if he wants to do his job now, in these times, he can't be like those men. He has to be like men are today, men like Chigurh. And after coming this close to confronting him, he decided he didn't want to be a part of that world anymore. I seem to have strayed from my main point, which is that the movie can't end with a bang. That would go against the whole idea of the story, that this world is no country for old men. It has to end with Jones just slipping away because the movie is about the sheriff, not Llewelyn or Chigurh.

Anyway, that’s what I think it’s about. This is one of those movies where the more I think about it, the more I like it.I really hope there is a good director's commentary on the DVD.

This post is perfect. You've said exactly what I would want to say about the movie but would never have been able to verbalize.

just saw this for the first time last night, and I think it may be my favorite movie ever even if only for my smug sense of self satisfaction that there are so many people that didn't "get" this movie when I did right away. here's a question to ask yourself to see if you got it or not: who was the main character? I thought the ending was perfect. very powerful. and is it just me or was that the greatest "twist" in movie history? I mean, plenty of movies have a twist in the "oh wow, it was the mom who was the killer" kind of sense, but this one was a twist in the sense of "holy crap, I was actually watching a completely different movie."

just saw this for the first time last night, and I think it may be my favorite movie ever even if only for my smug sense of self satisfaction that there are so many people that didn't "get" this movie when I did right away. here's a question to ask yourself to see if you got it or not: who was the main character? I thought the ending was perfect. very powerful. and is it just me or was that the greatest "twist" in movie history? I mean, plenty of movies have a twist in the "oh wow, it was the mom who was the killer" kind of sense, but this one was a twist in the sense of "holy crap, I was actually watching a completely different movie."
HAHAHA
You guys should probably use the "spoiler" function.

Go back and look at the way people were killed throughout the movie.You start with the cop and we get to see him choked to death, Chigurh pulling so hard the handcuffs are cutting his wrists, the cop's legs flailing as he struggles.The next few deaths are all pretty bloody as that weapon of his does serious damage and it's pretty gruesome. Remember what you were thinking when you first saw what that thing could do. But then notice the change. Woody Harrelson gets killed and we’re there when he’s shot, but all we see is the blood pooling up on the floor right after he shot him.When Llewelyn is killed all we see is his body some time after he was killed. We don’t know what happened, but we do know he’s dead.Llewelyn's wife is killed and all we see is Chigurh check his boots outside. We’re not even completely sure she was killed (she was). So as the movie progresses, each death becomes less and less explicit. I think this is an important directing point, if I'm interpreting it correctly.You see, there was a time when a man like Chigurh and the things he does would horrify us. But as these things become more and more commonplace, these things start to bother us less and less. Tommy Lee Jones talked about the old time sheriffs. About how some of them didn't even carry guns. Jones respected those men and he respected that time. But if he wants to do his job now, in these times, he can't be like those men. He has to be like men are today, men like Chigurh. And after coming this close to confronting him, he decided he didn't want to be a part of that world anymore. I seem to have strayed from my main point, which is that the movie can't end with a bang. That would go against the whole idea of the story, that this world is no country for old men. It has to end with Jones just slipping away because the movie is about the sheriff, not Llewelyn or Chigurh.

Anyway, that’s what I think it’s about. This is one of those movies where the more I think about it, the more I like it.I really hope there is a good director's commentary on the DVD.

I just watched the movie Sat night and thought it was interesting. At first I was pissy but then after talking to my wife and such it made more sense...

I never thought of the different death scenes that way, but you're totally right about how they become less explicit. I think if you tie that in with the theory that Chigurh is death and the film is about the inescapable nature of death, then it makes sense that the deaths become less explicit. As we go through life, we have to learn to accept death as a part of life -- a terrible part of life but a part of it nonetheless. By the end of the movie, Tommy Lee Jones talks matter of factly about knowing that he is going to follow his father into death. He isn't upset about it necessarily. He just knows it's part of the path he is going to follow. And that dream is probably the least explicit death scene -- it's just inferred. So as violently as the movie started, it ends softly, just the way life starts strong but we fade away in old age. As T.S. Eliot said, the world ends "not with a bang but a whimper."

Why is Tommy Lee Jones needed in this movie since this narration can easily be done through any of a number of casual comments. Take out Tommy Lee and the movie is the same?
Word for word I have the same questions. I stepped out of the theater and said to my fiance, wtf was tommy lee jones needed for?Also, towards the end of the movie I saw 3 different couples walk out and two girls next to me in my row were passed out sleeping. I know for a fact I'm in the minority but I think I was expecting something different and really didn't care for it. I know I probably would have to watch it a second time but it's just too slow of a movie to do so.
I'm guessing it wasn't Tommy Lee Jones. Because BG is rich and Gov owns a movie review site....
I'm guessing it wasn't Tommy Lee Jones. Because BG is rich and Gov owns a movie review site....
badum-TISH!
badum-TISH!
Indeed.
the car crash

also when Brolin was hurt - supposedly in a car accident he has to pay 500 for clothing to cover it up - the kid gives him the shirt for free - he hasn't been corrupted yet but he's learning

I don't know about the idea of not being corrupted yet. There are at least a couple times in the movie where Moss and Chigurh have similar situations that have different consequences and it has nothing to do with being good or bad; it just happens that way. One of those situations was paying for the jacket or shirt.Another was at the beginning of the movie, when Chigurh kills the man on the side of the road, he tells him to "hold still" before he shoots him. The very next line in the movie is said by Moss when he's out hunting; all he says is, "Hold still." Chigurh got his kill, but Moss did not.

how many times have you seen this movie
As many times as you've seen There Will Be Blood.Or twice. Two times. I just thought about it a lot.(I don't actually know how many times you've seen Blood.)

I'm probably gonna watch this again this weekend, and I've thought about watching it with a girl I like, but then I realized that it could cause problems. what if she didn't get it? what if it ended and she said "thats it? what happened?" I'm pretty sure that would be a dealbreaker for any possible relationship.

I'm probably gonna watch this again this weekend, and I've thought about watching it with a girl I like, but then I realized that it could cause problems. what if she didn't get it? what if it ended and she said "thats it? what happened?" I'm pretty sure that would be a dealbreaker for any possible relationship.
well you could try to keep it going for the sake of her kid at least.
Well you could use it as a baromter for her being GF material.BTW, could anyone give me a synopsis of Tommy Lee Jones speach at the end? I watched this at 3 in the morning and the last 10 minutes of the movie I kinda faded in and out of sleep. I missed enough at lesat to not get the entire gist, it was already late so my wife took it back the next day before I could re-watch the end.
well you could try to keep it going for the sake of her kid at least.
oh no this is a different girl actually.although this one has a kid too.god damnit.
oh no this is a different girl actually.although this one has a kid too.god damnit.
For some bizarre reason I can't see you playing step daddy.Step daddy, I know what you wantI come through like the first of the monthAin't nothing but a holidayWhen I f**k my wayI'm her worst nightmare, her wettest dreamWe always do that freaky thingAnd when I'm coming to her houseI know just what she's all aboutDon't waste no time, get in itKeep on humping til my head starts spinningWhoop that ass like a world champBreak the chairs and knock down the lampIn my birthday suit, dripping wetNo I ain't tripping how freaky it getFeeling that sweat on my eyebrowNothing can't stop me but nature nowF**king your bitch like them pros doSomething you can't get close toBorn to mack in my drop-top caddyJust call me step daddy
BTW, could anyone give me a synopsis of Tommy Lee Jones speach at the end? I watched this at 3 in the morning and the last 10 minutes of the movie I kinda faded in and out of sleep. I missed enough at lesat to not get the entire gist, it was already late so my wife took it back the next day before I could re-watch the end.
How far back do you want to go?

To the scene with him and Ellis? Or just the dream?Dream:Loretta Bell: How'd you sleep? Ed Tom Bell: I don't know. Had dreams. Loretta Bell: Well you got time for 'em now. Anythin' interesting? Ed Tom Bell: They always is to the party concerned. Loretta Bell: Ed Tom, I'll be polite. Ed Tom Bell: Alright then. Two of 'em. Both had my father in 'em . It's peculiar. I'm older now then he ever was by twenty years. So in a sense he's the younger man. Anyway, first one I don't remember too well but it was about meeting him in town somewhere, he's gonna give me some money. I think I lost it. The second one, it was like we was both back in older times and I was on horseback goin' through the mountains of a night. Goin' through this pass in the mountains. It was cold and there was snow on the ground and he rode past me and kept on goin'. Never said nothin' goin' by. He just rode on past... and he had his blanket wrapped around him and his head down and when he rode past I seen he was carryin' fire in a horn the way people used to do and I could see the horn from the light inside of it. 'Bout the color of the moon. And in the dream I knew that he was goin' on ahead and he was fixin' to make a fire somewhere out there in all that dark and all that cold, and I knew that whenever I got there he would be there. And then I woke up.

How far back do you want to go?To the scene with him and Ellis? Or just the dream?
Well I realized that my eyes started closing when chiguah was with the wife, so my timeline and recollection of the ending is a little skewed because I don't know how much I actually saw, how much I remember for reading some of this thread.Since you understood it so well maybe you could give me the 30 seconds synopsis. If you don't mind.
Well I realized that my eyes started closing when chiguah was with the wife, so my timeline and recollection of the ending is a little skewed because I don't know how much I actually saw, how much I remember for reading some of this thread.Since you understood it so well maybe you could give me the 30 seconds synopsis. If you don't mind.
I'll pitch in here, but noone will like it.The movie is basically saying: Drugs have made law enforcement harder, and the old ways have become obsolete. Good will not always win, but sometimes it will lose solely because it is good. Evil has a way of being everywhere and unstoppable, and fate has a way of getting everyone back.Also don't trust drug dealers, or anyone carrying around a tank of compressed gas.
I'll pitch in here, but noone will like it.The movie is basically saying: Drugs have made law enforcement harder, and the old ways have become obsolete. Good will not always win, but sometimes it will lose solely because it is good. Evil has a way of being everywhere and unstoppable, and fate has a way of getting everyone back.Also don't trust drug dealers, or anyone carrying around a tank of compressed gas.
What a coincidence. I don't think I'm going to take this synopsis at face value.