Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

Oh, and on the Staal trade, I'm torn on it. I think he was probably my favorite player, being from Thunder Bay and all, and definitely ready for a huge breakout, like we saw this year (50 pts in 62 games, and 6g in the playoffs). Too bad he had to go.However, the return is pretty good. Brandon Sutter will fill that 3rd line center job very well, although I think it'll hurt my AHL team as he won't need to be as offensively-inclined as he would have been in Carolina.I've heard this Dumoulin kid is a legit prospect as well, which is nice. Never bad to have too much defensive depth in the pipeline. Remember, Shero turned Goligoski into Neal and Niskanen because of our system-wide defensive depth.The 8th pick would have been a lot sexier if they drafted Filip Forsberg, IMO. I don't know much about Pouliot.Jesse from Faceoff Factor, an absolute nut for the draft and prospects, thinks it was a reach to get Pouliot there, but then Maatta falling to the 22nd pick was very fortunate. Basically, if you pretend Maatta went #8, and Pouliot at #22, it all makes sense in your mind and you can be more satisfied with the picks.The Pens somehow have 8 picks tomorrow, as well, with some more chances to draft quality players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds coming up.

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

ya, im head scratching on the Michalek trade too. Feels like a steal for Phx, but I have a lot of faith in Shero. Must be up to something.....Suter? Suter and Parise? I couldn't help noticing tonight the only person talking Pens Parise was McGuire, who annoyed me to no end.But hats off to Shero, he made a good move getting what he got from Carolina. I love Rutherford, but he's the type to pay, and at times overpay, for what he wants. Whether its resigning guys he likes, or trading for players he really covets, he gets his man, price be damned. And Pitts got a nice haul.I like Dumoulin, everything I had been reading about him said he would be making it someday, and would have a high off ceiling. I like Sutter, he'll be the perfect #3 C on that team, you'll win playoff series with his help. And I really thought #8 was the spot for Forsberg, I was shocked he wasn't the guy taken, seemed like the right fit for both Carolina AND Pit.But as a Canes fan, and one who has a man crush on all things Staal, I love this trade. Give me Marc, and Im not content to start the playoffs! Gonna enjoy watching the Staal brothers line up together this year.

I guess there's also a legitimate chance that Zach Parise could end up in Pittsburgh now too. He's apparently a long-time friend of Crosby's, They both played minor hockey in Shattuck St. Mary's, but never at the same time, so no idea how or why they are friends. Not like they met on the National team or anything, either. No idea.Any way, I think defense should still be the #1 priority with this apparent $14.6M. They'll need to re-up Niskanen, and I guess get one high-priced guy, and spread the rest around. They have 18 players signed at the moment, although I'm sure Paul Martin is on the block to be moved as well, opening up more space, and another hole to be filled.

I would bet he signs the first week of July, if not on the 1st itself. I'd be pretty surprised if he and Shero don't have an understanding or a deal in place, even, going into July 1st. He'll certainly prefer Shero to know how much money he has to spend long term, since the Pens will be going hard after Suter and/or Parise.

I would bet he signs the first week of July, if not on the 1st itself. I'd be pretty surprised if he and Shero don't have an understanding or a deal in place, even, going into July 1st. He'll certainly prefer Shero to know how much money he has to spend long term, since the Pens will be going hard after Suter and/or Parise.
I read the deal was going to be 9-10 million a year. I really hope not for Pitts as there won't be money left for anyone else.

even if it's 10 million, who cares? He makes 8.7 now, and for the last 5 seasons, and the cap has gone up WAY more than that. He's still getting less than market at 10 million.

even if it's 10 million, who cares? He makes 8.7 now, and for the last 5 seasons, and the cap has gone up WAY more than that. He's still getting less than market at 10 million.
Yea but if him and Malkin take 7 instead of 10 then that is 6 million that can go to a guy like Parise or Suter.

I mean, just because you think 500k is a big salary, doesn't mean that's what two of the top 3 (?) players in the league should take. There's a lot more at play than that.

I think Shero would be pretty careless tying up Crosby before the CBA is done. We dont know what the new rules are going to be.There really isnt any advantage of signing Crosby now.

Talking heads on TSN reporting Crosby deal is done. About $100 million, average of $9m/year. So, 11 years probably.I can't say whether its a good deal or not without knowing what the insurance situation is. Can you get insurance in a situation like Crosby's? How much does it cost? How much does it cover?

Looks like $100 million..Good question on the insurance. The way insurance works in real life is , if you have a serious illness or pre existing condition , you cant get insurance..If you do its super expensive.

Honestly, what do we care about insurance? I dont own the Penguins, their profit/loss is pretty irrelevant to me. I figure they just signed the best player in the NHL for his career, and they just happen to have the 2nd best player on their roster too.As far as his health, most of us dont have the slightest idea of how it will go, so its a guessing game.You cant let him get away, so you might as well give him what he wants, hope he stays healthy, and reap the rewards for years to come.

I pretty much agree Arp. I don't care what salaries are because I don't care if the owners make money. As you say, its not my money.It is a capped world though and Pittsburgh is a capped team, so I at least care on the dollar amount. And I care about the structure/length only as an academic exercise I guess.If Pittsburgh's power play next year is Letang/Suter/Malkin/Crosby/Parise, that just isn't fair.

I guess Im making the assumption that a serious Crosby injury is more long term, and there will be cap relief in that situation.While I would agree with you on the cap issues, thing is, its Crosby. I just think at this point he is far and away the best player in the NHL to help you win a Cup that you take any chance you have to, without any second thoughts.

Honestly, what do we care about insurance? I dont own the Penguins, their profit/loss is pretty irrelevant to me. I figure they just signed the best player in the NHL for his career, and they just happen to have the 2nd best player on their roster too.As far as his health, most of us dont have the slightest idea of how it will go, so its a guessing game.You cant let him get away, so you might as well give him what he wants, hope he stays healthy, and reap the rewards for years to come.
While you are definetely correct , without insurance if Crosby was to get injured its a big blow to the organization. The Penguins dont have New York Yankees money to spend..I dont think they even have Leafs, Rangers , Montreal money. Its a signing they HAD to make for sure. They had no other choice but to sign him to this contract.One interesting thing is if they get Parise they will probably pay him more than Crosby. How will that fly?