best.cover.ever!

Man, I heard possibly the best cover song about a week ago and its been all over the radio.I personally collect acoustic cover versions of songs. I love all acoustics but specifically people covering others music. Like, I've got four or five versions of Tiny Dancer, Bob Dylan doing Creep from Radiohead, and, one of my favorites, Garth Brooks singing Turn The Page by Bob Seager (not that shitty Metallica version that sounds like crap). Even my Audioslave doing Seven Nation Army is great. But.. today... man I heard it twice and I'm convinced its the BEST.COVER.EVER!Simple Kind of Man.Now I've heard the original thousnads of times. I'm a huge fan of it.. But the remake.. oh my.. I don't know who the dude is! every time I've heard it, they never mention his name- but I need to find his name. I need it! He hits notes in that song... it just plain rocks.What are your favorite covers that you've heard?

• 5 years later...

I'm recycling this thread. Two great covers off the top of my head are...I'm Losing You (John Lennon) by Colin JamesHey Ya (Outkast) by Obidiah Parker

Man, I heard possibly the best cover song about a week ago and its been all over the radio.I personally collect acoustic cover versions of songs. I love all acoustics but specifically people covering others music. Like, I've got four or five versions of Tiny Dancer, Bob Dylan doing Creep from Radiohead, and, one of my favorites, Garth Brooks singing Turn The Page by Bob Seager (not that shitty Metallica version that sounds like crap). Even my Audioslave doing Seven Nation Army is great. But.. today... man I heard it twice and I'm convinced its the BEST.COVER.EVER!Simple Kind of Man.Now I've heard the original thousnads of times. I'm a huge fan of it.. But the remake.. oh my.. I don't know who the dude is! every time I've heard it, they never mention his name- but I need to find his name. I need it! He hits notes in that song... it just plain rocks.What are your favorite covers that you've heard?
are you talking about the shinedown cover?this is goot musik
are you talking about the shinedown cover?this is goot musik
That's what I thought, but was that out in 2005? Maybe, hell I don't know.

If you like cover songs, check out the Coverville podcast. You can subscribe through iTunes or download the episodes at Coverville.comIt's one of my 3 or 4 favorite podcasts. The early episodes are unpolished but the music is edgy; now it's a bit more refined.One of the favorite covers I've heard on there is the Opie Gone Bad cover of Sympathy for the Devil. Just amazing, unfortunately, the only way I can find to get it is to buy the whole album from them, and we're sort of beyond the days of buying a whole album for one song.But Coverville has so many amazing covers it'd be hard to list them all. Another one that jumps out after a couple of years is Barb Jungr's version of Tangled Up in Blue, done with some great piano.EDIT: Quick sample of Tangled Up in Blue mentioned above: http://s0.ilike.com/play#Barb+Jungr:Tangle...32191:m13165569although the sample doesn't do it justice.

sadly it's not even a question because nothing will ever top Jimi Hendrix' All along the Watchtoweranother great Dylan cover to check out is Jason and the Scorchers Absolutely Sweet Marie

I'm obsessed with punk covers, far too many to list but a good one that was just recently released is The Almost's cover of Free Fallin' by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. It's not strictly punk, more of a pop rock thing but a damn fine version of a really great song. I can listen to Me First and the Gimme Gimme's - Ruin Johnny's Bar Mitzfah over and over again.

I'm obsessed with punk covers, far too many to list but a good one that was just recently released is The Almost's cover of Free Fallin' by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. It's not strictly punk, more of a pop rock thing but a damn fine version of a really great song. I can listen to Me First and the Gimme Gimme's - Ruin Johnny's Bar Mitzfah over and over again.
Love me some MFGG.Also like the Lemonheads cover of Mrs. Robinson.
Love me some MFGG.Also like the Lemonheads cover of Mrs. Robinson.
and Goldfinger's cover of 99 Red Balloons! Classic cover tune, really well done.
sadly it's not even a question because nothing will ever top Jimi Hendrix' All along the Watchtoweranother great Dylan cover to check out is Jason and the Scorchers Absolutely Sweet Marie
Here's a sweet Dylan cover
I still love Johnny Cash's version of Hurt, regardless of it being played 17 brazillion times on the radio.
I love this one a lot.
I still love Johnny Cash's version of Hurt, regardless of it being played 17 brazillion times on the radio.
I was going to post that one.Also, Marilyn Mansons Tainted Love imo

staind killing nothing else matters by metallicahttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx20qA3XCtcbruddah iz somewhere over the rainbow

me first and the gimme gimmies doing a little john denver
no use for a name fileds of athenry, <---for the punk lovers
down by law 500 miles
rise against, anyway you want it
Someone posted this somewhere else in the forum but I have no clue where....She turned a shitty song into something great. And she's gorgeous.
YouTube comments make me sad for the state of humanity.
Punk covers are so good. MFGG are obviously the most well-known group, but there's another group called Ghoti Hook that has some pretty good ones. I also like Mustard Plug's version of "The Freshmen". I really wish someone would do a punk cover of "Yesterday" by The Beatles.Also...thanks for the tip on that "Free Fallin'" cover...has linked me to a bunch of others.Okay...three good chick covers..."Marie Douceur/Marie Colere" ("cover" of "Paint It Black" in French...and actually with an entirely different story)
"Lost" (Coldplay) - Lights
"Major Tom" (Peter Schilling) - Shiny Toy Guns
"Major Tom" (Peter Schilling) - Shiny Toy Guns
This is a very good one. Hell, even the bands original material is wonderful (for the most part).