I Called In Sick Today

Hogs and deer, realistically. Elk, eventually.

I haven't been hunting since I was a kid, but I'm trying to get ready for rifle season. I bought a 30-06, and am looking for a Winning scope.

I'll mostly be killing in dense woods for now, but will probably use the same setup in more open places. I've been looking at this one: http://www.outdoorli...ica-er-35-14x42, but it seems like possibly overkill. I'm thrilled with overkill, but is there some reason a less powerful scope would be better for the kinds of shots I'd have in the woods?

General scope suggestions?

WAY more scope than you need. Shooting in the woods normally means shots less than 100 yds. That scope is something you'd use out to 300+ yds. Nikon makes great glass, lifetime warranty, great eye relief, for far less money. Check out this one. Plenty for hunting in the woods, with a larger objective lens for bringing in the light in the low light/shaded woods, for FAR less money and will be plenty for shots out to 200 + yds. You shouldn't be making shots longer than that except in rare circumstances anyway to ensure clean kills. http://www.rakuten.c...CFZZqfgod7zkAeg

• Like 1
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

WAY more scope than you need. Shooting in the woods normally means shots less than 100 yds. That scope is something you'd use out to 300+ yds. Nikon makes great glass, lifetime warranty, great eye relief, for far less money. Check out this one. Plenty for hunting in the woods, with a larger objective lens for bringing in the light in the low light/shaded woods, for FAR less money and will be plenty for shots out to 200 + yds. You shouldn't be making shots longer than that except in rare circumstances anyway to ensure clean kills. http://www.rakuten.c...CFZZqfgod7zkAeg

Yeah, I knew that was going to be the answer, but was hoping I'd get a different one.

Sigh. Maybe I'll get that scope and a rife chambered for a longer distance cartridge when I get better, and set that up as my hypothetical Montana elk rifle that I'll never use. Until then, a shitty n1gger scope for Dutch, I guess.

Thanks.

I bet you could make something like that fairly easily, Guap. Doesn't seem to be much to it.

It seems to be the cheapest kind of composite board, with a hole for cole.

I bet you could make something like that fairly easily, Guap. Doesn't seem to be much to it.

That is the issue my dad is having, that they are way more expensive than the parts should be. But I also don't really have the time or inclination to do this. If it were at my house I would do it myself, in fact I'm planning to at some point.

You bow hunt, Tilty?

I don't. While I'm right handed, my right eye is very weak compared to my left. Because of that I started shooting rifles left handed as an early teen. Crazy how much better a shot I was when I could see what I was aiming at. Anyway, while I can shoot a rifle or shotgun very well left handed I've never been able to get comfortable shooting a bow left handed.

whats happening here?

Ocho, Napster and Sklansky are talking about building a table with fire coming out of the center while Sklansky and I simultaneously discuss the best tools for killing innocent animals.

Duh.

• Like 1

That was a worthy top of the page post. Well done.

I don't. While I'm right handed, my right eye is very weak compared to my left. Because of that I started shooting rifles left handed as an early teen. Crazy how much better a shot I was when I could see what I was aiming at. Anyway, while I can shoot a rifle or shotgun very well left handed I've never been able to get comfortable shooting a bow left handed.

If you ever have any interest in it, you could try shooting a recurve right handed. There are no sights, they call it "instinctive." So your eye thing wouldn't be a problem. The problem is that it's hard to aim a bow with no sights. That said, I've been shooting one for 5 days and I'm already deadly accurate out to 8 yards. That nearly a first down.

• Like 2

Hogs and deer, realistically. Elk, eventually.

I haven't been hunting since I was a kid, but I'm trying to get ready for rifle season. I bought a 30-06, and am looking for a Winning scope.

I'll mostly be killing in dense woods for now, but will probably use the same setup in more open places. I've been looking at this one: http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2012/05/rifle-scope-review-leica-er-35-14x42, but it seems like possibly overkill. I'm thrilled with overkill, but is there some reason a less powerful scope would be better for the kinds of shots I'd have in the woods?

General scope suggestions?

You may be killing critters in the dense woods but you'll be practicing in open areas and letting the 30/06 stretch it's legs a little. Once you catch that bug, you'll be sinking thousands in a match barrel, custom chassis, two stage trigger, remington 700 action chambered in .338 lupua so you can put holes on top of holes in paper at 800 meters. That's when you buy your Swarovski. Until then just get quality glass that will serve you in both killing in the woods and shooting groups at distance. The Internet likes this scope for its value and hunting, tactical, and target shooting application. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53712.aspx

This article is surprisingly informative for its publish date.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-optics/?p=1

I would want these features if I absolutely had to get a variable power scope; first focal plane, 30mm tube, mil reticle, mrad adjustments, zero stop, and the clearest glass possible in my price range which would be $1500 at the very minimum. You're going to pay for quality variable power which you don't need.

FYP

Take that $1,400 and fly me out and I'll build it for you. Sure.

Guys..."Bobs Burgers" is really good.

i will watch any animated show with H. Jon involved as voice talent. I even liked Home Movies.

I also like Eugene Merman. I saw a half hour special from him once and loved how absurd his humor was.

Thanks. I didn't even realize I could buy a scope in the $3000 range. I 100% will be buying the nicest stuff they sell sooner or later, and it's just a matter of how long I want to pretend I might not.

nigga please. i dvr the show every sunday.

perhaps i was previously too understated in my H Jon fanboidom. i watched his Jon Benjamin Has A Van show for most of it's run. not even his mom did that.

If you ever have any interest in it, you could try shooting a recurve right handed. There are no sights, they call it "instinctive." So your eye thing wouldn't be a problem. The problem is that it's hard to aim a bow with no sights. That said, I've been shooting one for 5 days and I'm already deadly accurate out to 8 yards. That nearly a first down.

Oh, I can shoot a compound bow right handed. A good buddy and my brother in law both hunt with them. While I'm ok plinking around at targets I'm not accurate enough to be comfortable hunting with one.

FYP

Mystery solved. FYP is both Canadian and dumb. LOL meters.

FYP

every this user posts I get more and more confused as to who they are. I did enjoy this post however, mainly because of the 338 mention.

dutch I seriously doubt you'd get any benefit at all from anything over the $400 Nikon range. from what I've heard they're in the better all around group along with leupold. I like leupold because they have gold on them, which slightly more baller.