matasow gets a lot respect

My two cents on The Mouth and The BratBoth talented card players. Both great TV personalities for the networks. Their antics in the TOC from Cardplayer's reporting should make for extremely entertaining television.Is Hellmuth bad at cash games?Compared to many of the big name pros yes, since so many of them (DN included) love to say yum when he sits down at the table with them (as DN said in his blog).Does that mean he sucks at hold'em and other card games?By no means. His enormous number of cashes at the WSOP in a variety of games demonstrates he is a solid tournament player in a number of games.Is The Mouth guilty of bad table manners?In the case of the Raymer/Mouth fiasco last year, I would say yes. In the Mouth/Sheik showdown this year, I would say no. He's a talkative character at the table and you can find plenty of those anywhere. If he gets under your skin, he will take your money. But he shows respect for others he is playing with, provided they show respect to him and his tablemates. The current Brat/Mouth confontation ongoing at the WSOP ToC is just him acting like he usually does against most everyone's favorite target for poker criticism.My vote: Let the kids play, makes for great television.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that he can get almost anybody to stake him to play poker means he is a great player.
Stylin,Change the Avatar in order to root him on?
No, I've always been a big fan of his and seeing some of the stuff that happened made me even a bigger fan. I saw this and decided to use it.Oh, did you know i was at the WSOP Me and tried to get a high five from matusow when he was eliminated and he totally left me hanging?!?!?! :club::D:D:D
Sweet, When he gets eliminated, maybe we will get to see you on TV :wink:
Maybe!!! I shoulda been on T.V. earlier because he was walking around(i don't remember what day it was) and he started walking over my way(I was standing on the feature table bleachers looking out at the field) and I said "GO MIKE!!!!!" and pumped my fist. He looked at me and pumped his fist and said "I gotta lotta chips now!!!"
Lmao.... I can imagine you doing this and its hilarious....lol
The fact that he can get almost anybody to stake him to play poker means he is a great player.
No, I've always been a big fan of his and seeing some of the stuff that happened made me even a bigger fan. I saw this and decided to use it.Oh, did you know i was at the WSOP Me and tried to get a high five from matusow when he was eliminated and he totally left me hanging?!?!?! :club::D:D:D
Maybe!!! I shoulda been on T.V. earlier because he was walking around(i don't remember what day it was) and he started walking over my way(I was standing on the feature table bleachers looking out at the field) and I said "GO MIKE!!!!!" and pumped my fist. He looked at me and pumped his fist and said "I gotta lotta chips now!!!"
A lot of people laughed, i didn't see how it was that funny lol.
It's because we are laughing at you not with you. But seriously I can see you sitting by yourself and then you see your "hero" walk by and your face lights up and you jump up and pump your fist while shouting "GO MIKE"...hilarious...
It's because we are laughing at you not with you. But seriously I can see you sitting by yourself and then you see your "hero" walk by and your face lights up and you jump up and pump your fist while shouting "GO MIKE"...hilarious...
Hahahah :clap:

LMAO!!! You Donkey's can't even spell poker and youre analyzing the play of proven champions...hahahaha. What a joke! No, seriously..."The kiddie games are down the street, down the street are the kiddie games". Im just playing all....I respect the opinion of everyone, including mine. I'm one of the greatest poker players of all time. I havent won a major tournament yet, but I'm telling you, I'm good...If it weren't for luck, I'd win them all. Its late, and I'm punchy. Goodnight to all my fans. :club:

LMAO!!!  You Donkey's can't even spell poker and youre  analyzing the play of proven champions...hahahaha.  What a joke!   No, seriously..."The kiddie games are down the street, down the street are the kiddie games".  Im just playing all....I respect the opinion of everyone, including mine.  I'm one of the greatest poker players of all time.  I havent won a major tournament yet, but I'm telling you, I'm good...If it weren't for luck, I'd win them all.  Its late, and I'm punchy.  Goodnight to all my fans.    :club:
Are you being sarcastic?
LMAO!!!  You Donkey's can't even spell poker and youre  analyzing the play of proven champions...hahahaha.  What a joke!   No, seriously..."The kiddie games are down the street, down the street are the kiddie games".  Im just playing all....I respect the opinion of everyone, including mine.  I'm one of the greatest poker players of all time.  I havent won a major tournament yet, but I'm telling you, I'm good...If it weren't for luck, I'd win them all.  Its late, and I'm punchy.  Goodnight to all my fans.    :club:
Are you being sarcastic?
I think he had to of been.

Yeah, Clearly Phil and Matasow are bad players. Phil just finished 3rd in the TOC and Matasow is still in with a 3 to 1 chip lead. The truth is both guys try to intimidate the table and to try to throw the other players off of their game. It works enough for them to pick up chips. You only need to beat one or two people at your table to build your stack in a tourney.If they get into someone's head and that person makes mistakes becuase he is thinking about Matasow instead of his cards, that is good for Mike. I think it is funny that people are argueing about these two guys, in many ways they are similiar.

Are you being sarcastic?
I think he had to of been.
He is taking the best lines of both Phil and Mike and putting them into one post

fopkins,Hey, great job editing TWO of your posts.And all your rigamarole is supposed to prove - what exactly?Look for recent threads about the ToC and/or the high stakes cash games DN just finished participating in for comments about Phil's cash game play and where he stands among the current crop of NLHE tourney players.And yes, I know top 60 is very good. But that's not exactly a ringing endorsement of a self-described great poker player. I've never heard the 60th best golfer or tennis player in the world described as great - have you?

Mike Matusow is quickly turning into one of the players I wish to emualate the most. That means nothing of course to anyone but me, but his skill in reading opponents and table talk is something I appreciate greatly in a poker player. I wasn't impressed with his actions towards Greg Raymer (whom I admire greatly as a poker player, for some reasons opposite of Matusow) during the 2004 WSOP, but I can appreciate that he was under tons of pressure from himself to perform well and I believe he was in a great amount of debt at the time. Also, he apologized honestly to Greg later. Mike is obviously a tremendous player, and it bothers me when people rain on his parade, he is clearly a good hearted, well natured human being who has performed remarkably in a year in which he has overcome great adversity.Everyone should have at the least, respect for Mike Matusow, and should admire the things he has accomplished.

After watching the wsop tonight and last week you cant help see the horrid hands matasow plays and eventually gets his opponets to lay down the best hand.  Are his opponets really that scared of him?
Yes. But they lay it down because he makes the right moves based on fantastic reads.
 I know there is a lot of editing but the guy was behind in every single hand that they showed tonight.  I guess that is his style......... reckless with little self control.
A guy who is apparently in with the worst of is every time and gets 9th in a field of 5600 by outplaying people has a lot of self control.
If one those bluffs wouldnt have worked it would have been a blow up but since he got away with it is an amazing play.
Yea it is. He consistently makes the correct read, makes the correct play, and (despite a Kanter-like card run) collects pot after pot by outplaying his opponent. What a donkey.
I am not at the caliber of Mike matasow...
That's for sure.
...but i really saw a lot of his plays as amatuerish.  
Hmmm, seemed pretty pro-like to most of us.
The guy has two wsop bracelets.  Two not ten braceltes two.  If you want to talk censored why dont you wait till you are on of the top ten players in the world and then talk about your greatness.
So there are apparently only 2 great players in the world.He has 2 bracelets, 2 more than you or me. He won the TOC this year. He got through the biggest field in poker history by outplaying his opponents, lost in the unavoidable KK vs. AA situation, made a million and didn't blow up this year. You're right, total donkey.The guy is a jerk, but that his personality. He tries to get others on tilt, and to me is entertaining to watch. Don't like him, fine. But don't come here any try to shovel your load about what an amatuer he is, your arguements are completely flawed and inaccurate.And by the way, go watch him on FullTilt some time, where he crushes the dreams of little 20/40 players who think they can run with the big boys every night.
Crazy and reckless lucks out again.   How many more times does he have to win before he's allowed to table talk?
What do you mean how many times does he have to win? The man has won one tournament in like three years.According to the hendon mob Mike only has a tenth place finish to his credit lol
Crazy and reckless lucks out again. How many more times does he have to win before he's allowed to table talk?
What do you mean how many times does he have to win? The man has won one tournament in like three years.According to the hendon mob Mike only has a tenth place finish to his credit lol
I didn't know the question was that complex. You said win some tournaments/be a top 10 player before you talk trash. I just asked the VERY SIMPLE QUESTION, HOW MANY???? Big cashes in big tournaments in the new era of poker that has left Hellmuth behind. Now Phil is just a yummy treat to poker players everywhere. Which member of the Hendon Mob has done better than Mike in recent memory? How many bracelets do they have? Just curious. I hope they have enough to warrant table talk!

From what I gather of Mike is that he is a great tournament poker player, because of his willingness to play solely for first and his dead on reads. However, he blows up and from quotes by him he is pretty bad at calculating pot odds. Although he's made some wise decisions I'd like to see him win a big tournament. Does anyone know the tournament he's invested $50,000 in today?

There is a major flaw with his tournament strategy now becuase although he might get deep in tournaments he never wins
http://cardplayer.com/poker-tournaments/ev...7&screen=resultPoker is all skill:
Hand 147 - Phil Hellmuth has the button in seat 4, Corkins limps, Matusow raises to $45,000 from the big blind, and Corkins moves all in. Matusow gets up out of his seat to study Corkins and the chips. He takes off his sunglasses, and is really taking his time here. Matusow finally calls with Ac-Qc. Unfortunately, he's dominated by Corkins' Ad-Kc. Matusow needs to improve to stay alive here.The flop comes 10d-3h-2d, and Matusow needs to catch a queen or a runner-runner straight to survive. The turn card is -- the Qd! The crowd goes wild as Matusow hits his three-outer on the turn. Now Corkins needs to catch a jack, a king, or any diamond to eliminate Matusow.The river card is the 2h, and Mike Matusow doubles through Corkins to over $850,000 in chips.