matasow gets a lot respect

After watching the wsop tonight and last week you cant help see the horrid hands matasow plays and eventually gets his opponets to lay down the best hand. Are his opponets really that scared of him? I know there is a lot of editing but the guy was behind in every single hand that they showed tonight. I guess that is his style......... reckless with little self control. It probably could explain why he goes broke all the time. There were a few hands where Mike went all in and was just praying for no call. If one those bluffs wouldnt have worked it would have been a blow up but since he got away with it is an amazing play. I am not at the caliber of Mike matasow but i really saw a lot of his plays as amatuerish. I know many people on this forum may disagree but when i see Mike play all i see is a annoying loud mouth talking a whole lot of crap. What has Mike done to warrant all this talking smack. The guy has two wsop bracelets. Two not ten braceltes two. If you want to talk shit why dont you wait till you are on of the top ten players in the world and then talk about your greatness. There are tons of people who have this many bracelets and arent on tv acting like an ******* to every player they come across. I know a lot of it is in fun but really this guy gets on my nerveswith his ego.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to talk censored why dont you wait till you are on of the top ten players in the world and then talk about your greatness.That's never stopped Phil Hellmuth.Mike plays a volatile tournament style. Believe me he doesn't all-in bluff all that often (you're missing 90% of the hands played on TV). His style might be optimal for large fields and quickly escalating blinds.

So he's not a skilled pro because he makes good reads and outplays people after the flop? He doesn't have as many bracelets as Doyle or Chan so he's not a top pro? You can't talk smack at a table and have fun unless you're one of the top ten(of which everyone's ranking are different btw) in the world? It's fine to not like the guy, but to question his playing ability is absurd. NL tournaments are about accumulating chips. If you're not getting cards, there's no other way to do this but to make moves. He ran people over and earned his chips. God bless epsn and god bless a Matusow bluff. They only make collecting money easier.

If you want to talk censored why dont you wait till you are on of the top ten players in the world and then talk about your greatness.That's never stopped Phil Hellmuth.Mike plays a volatile tournament style. Believe me he doesn't all-in bluff all that often (you're missing 90% of the hands played on TV). His style might be optimal for large fields and quickly escalating blinds.
Phil Helmuth might not be one of the top ten overall players in the world but the man has nine bracelets. I dont care what people on this forum think of his cash game skills it really doesnt mater. The guy has the third most wsop bracelets ever and probably willl be number two behind chan in the near future. He has won the big one and other tournametents. He has wins to back up his ego what does mike have?
So he's not a skilled pro because he makes good reads and outplays people after the flop? He doesn't have as many bracelets as Doyle or Chan so he's not a top pro? You can't talk smack at a table and have fun unless you're one of the top ten(of which everyone's ranking are different btw) in the world? It's fine to not like the guy, but to question his playing ability is absurd. NL tournaments are about accumulating chips. If you're not getting cards, there's no other way to do this but to make moves. He ran people over and earned his chips. God bless epsn and god bless a Matusow bluff. They only make collecting money easier.
yes no limit strategy is about accumulating masses of chips and whne you arent geting cards you still have to play. There is a major flaw with his tournament strategy now becuase although he might get deep in tournaments he never wins. His reckless style always stops him short of taking it home. Wow you ran good for a few days and had a huge amount of chips thne you pissed it away on shitty cards and bad calls. That proves your greatness.

Phil Helmuth might not be one of the top ten overall players in the world but the man has nine bracelets.9 bracelets, so I've heard. But none the last 2 years and none in non HE games. I dont care what people on this forum think of his cash game skills it really doesnt mater.Well then we don't care what you think either - how's that. And it does matter if you are going to claim you're one of the best poker players alive. He has won the big one and other tournametents.So have a lot of other people. He has wins to back up his ego what does mike have?Mike likes to joke around; Phil is being serious. That's the difference.

Phil Helmuth might not be one of the top ten overall players in the world but the man has nine bracelets.9 bracelets, so I've heard. But none the last 2 years and none in non HE games. I dont care what people on this forum think of his cash game skills it really doesnt mater.Well then we don't care what you think either - how's that. And it does matter if you are going to claim you're one of the best poker players alive. He has won the big one and other tournametents.So have a lot of other people. He has wins to back up his ego what does mike have?Mike likes to joke around; Phil is being serious. That's the difference.
I'm sorry but who are you talking to? Just press the 'quote' button if you want to quote someone.
Mike hasnt won the big one and he hasnt won very many other tournaments. Mike isnt joking around he really believes he is that great.
yes no limit strategy is about accumulating masses of chips and whne you arent geting cards you still have to play. There is a major flaw with his tournament strategy now becuase although he might get deep in tournaments he never wins. His reckless style always stops him short of taking it home. Wow you ran good for a few days and had a huge amount of chips thne you censored it away on censored cards and bad calls. That proves your greatness.
It wasn't Matusow's reckless style that stopped him short this year, he got KK and ran into AA. He outplayed everyone at the world series every day and now is at the final table of the ToC. How can you say that he isn't great.
yes no limit strategy is about accumulating masses of chips and whne you arent geting cards you still have to play. There is a major flaw with his tournament strategy now becuase although he might get deep in tournaments he never wins. His reckless style always stops him short of taking it home. Wow you ran good for a few days and had a huge amount of chips thne you censored it away on censored cards and bad calls. That proves your greatness.
It wasn't Matusow's reckless style that stopped him short this year, he got KK and ran into AA. He outplayed everyone at the world series every day and now is at the final table of the ToC. How can you say that he isn't great.
He made a few final tables and won two bracelets. Are people great for merely making it to the biggest stage or winning on it? Last time i checked it was the people who win who are great, not the people who make it to the final table and lose out in ninth place bad luck or not.
Mike isnt joking around he really believes he is that great.Have you got any sources for this?
look at him when he says it in to the camera and to the other players he genuinely believes it you tell from his tone of voice and confidence

well if matusow plays that bad, i guess all thats left to do is for you to turn pro and make millions.ok, heres my real answer. first, never trust any poker you see on tv- it's tooheavily edited. second, when you are playing deep stack poker, waiting fora decent hand and pushing all in is not a viable strategy(unless you are tiffany williamson). third, you might not be a rock, but most rocks tend to drastically underestimate the difficulty of beating a good player that because of their looseness is very difficult to put on a hand(while the good player can put you on a pretty tight range). if poker were as easy as just waiting for a good hand, everyone would play the same and there would be no pros.yes, matusow is one of the loosest pros, but the fact is, you simply cant get enough premium hands against good players when the blinds are small to make up for their superior postflop and hand reading skills. this is why relatively few of the pros you see are as tight as many of the typical online players.

well if matusow plays that bad, i guess all thats left to do is for you to turn pro and make millions.ok, heres my real answer. first, never trust any poker you see on tv- it's tooheavily edited. second, when you are playing deep stack poker, waiting fora decent hand and pushing all in is not a viable strategy(unless you are tiffany williamson). third, you might not be a rock, but most rocks tend to drastically underestimate the difficulty of beating a good player that because of their looseness is very difficult to put on a hand(while the good player can put you on a pretty tight range). if poker were as easy as just waiting for a good hand, everyone would play the same and there would be no pros.yes, matusow is one of the loosest pros, but the fact is, you simply cant get enough premium hands against good players when the blinds are small to make up for their superior postflop and hand reading skills. this is why relatively few of the pros you see are as tight as many of the typical online players.
good assesment

I know i have never been to a wsop final table or ever won a bracelet. I've never won a million dollars or outlasted the biggest tournement field in history. I am pretty sure no one on this site can say that they have done any of the things listed above. So why dont you let him play his game, he seems to being ok for himself.On another note he was running his mouth against "the Shiek" because the shiek was being an ass. He was making donk mistakes like reacting to the flop when he wasnt a part of the hand. He was degrateing the other players for their play like he was an acomplished pro. So mike stepped up to try and shut him up. I thought Mike was great and I gained alot of respect for him and his game after watching tonight.

It's like this.In NLHE tournaments when the blinds are small in relation to stack sizes, it is advantageous for the skilled player to take relatively cheap flops. They can use their skill after the flop because frequently, the lead changes on the flop and good players are able to recognize when this has happened much more easily than mediocre ones.But when the blinds and antes are high, post-flop play becomes less important.

HELLMUTH HASN'T WON A BRACELET IN TWO YEARS!?!?! WOW, THAT MUST MEAN HE IS WASHED UP. I MEAN, YEAH, HE WON 2 IN '03, AND WON THE HEADS UP CHAMPIONSHIP, AND HAS HAD MANY OTHER CASHES/FINAL TABLES, AND WAS SECOND AT LAST YEAR'S TOC, BUT YEAH, HE IS WASHED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!Also, you saying that none of Phil's bracelets are in non-holdem games means nothing, because hardly anybody thinks that he is a Top 10 player at any other game than tournament Holdem. So...his Omaha stats are irrelevant to this. HOWEVER, he did quite well at two Omaha events in last year's WSOP, so...SHOVE IT!
The guy has two wsop bracelets. Two not ten braceltes two.
So this means.., hes not that good right. :roll:
This means he doesnt have the hardware to back up his mouth

because hardly anybody thinks that he is a Top 10 player at any other game than tournament Holdem. Except for Phil himself, who thinks of himself as one of the greatest POKER players alive (he never says "NLHE tournament" in this context).The Mouth had it right in the introductions today: Phil Hellmuth - a legend in his own mind.Honestly, you Hellmuthians irritate me. Collectively, you are almost as irrational as your idol.

because hardly anybody thinks that he is a Top 10 player at any other game than tournament Holdem. Except for Phil himself, who thinks of himself as one of the greatest POKER players alive (he never says "NLHE tournament" in this context).The Mouth had it right in the introductions today: Phil Hellmuth - a legend in his own mind.Honestly, you Hellmuthians irritate me. Collectively, you are almost as irrational as your idol.
lets get something straight he is not my idol but i would love to have nine bracelets in holdem or any other game