"having some fun" with alan goering - wrong or not

i see it as chip dumping....and to point out who you are trying to give it too..is wrong...If a absolute emergency came up...you stand up from the table and just leave and let the blinds kill you off... of say when it started "all in every hand untill i die" still chip dumping sort of but not to one specific person! just my opinion but what do i know...just perhaps not a classy move from a very respected poker payer... but i will never have 10k to do it with..if i did ya never know!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hate people that say, i have to go so i am going all in on next hand online. The best solution to this is to "sit out" and let your chips stack dry up so everyone can enjoy ur blind and not just double up one person.

If this is "wrong" in a tournament, then it is "wrong" to check down witha player when another player is all in to increase chances of his elimination. I do not believe what Daniel did is "wrong" in any way. It was unspoken, and it was his decision to call Alan, not because he felt he was definitely going to be giving him his chips, but he felt that Alan could be playing anything since he is so aggressive and Daniel may double up here. His hope was not to give up the chips, but to get a big enough stack to be able to go away from the tables for a while and deal with his personal issues while not being blinded out. This makes complete sense and Daniel should not be getting grief for this.

its his 10k. he can do with it what he wants. he says that he really couldnt keep playing unless he had a monster stack early. the only way he could do that would be to play every hand and get lucky.

If a man feels like throwing his chips out there and seeing what happens, so be it! Even against 77, his k-4 had a chance to win. If he gets lucky, he's got a ton of chips, and can probably leave and take care of his personal matters, come back and still have the chips to play with. If he loses, he's done and can take care of his business. It's called taking a chance. It's poker. Now quit your whining about someone elses poker decisions.

i voted "wrong" but i was wrong for voting "wrong", as i meant to vote "not wrong" so change one of those "wrong"s to a "not wrong", then it will be right*loads another bong*

Daniel N.

My life doesn't revolve around these events, and while I shouldn't have played in the first place I'm fine with my choice to dump off.
This was straight from his blog. He even says that he dumped the chips so yes it was chip dumping and yes it was wrong. If he HAD to be somewhere he should've done the honest thing and gotten blinded out.
Daniel N.
My life doesn't revolve around these events, and while I shouldn't have played in the first place I'm fine with my choice to dump off.
This was straight from his blog. He even says that he dumped the chips so yes it was chip dumping and yes it was wrong. If he HAD to be somewhere he should've done the honest thing and gotten blinded out.
If this is "wrong" in a tournament, then it is "wrong" to check down witha player when another player is all in to increase chances of his elimination. I do not believe what Daniel did is "wrong" in any way. It was unspoken, and it was his decision to call Alan, not because he felt he was definitely going to be giving him his chips, but he felt that Alan could be playing anything since he is so aggressive and Daniel may double up here. His hope was not to give up the chips, but to get a big enough stack to be able to go away from the tables for a while and deal with his personal issues while not being blinded out.This makes complete sense and Daniel should not be getting grief for this.
Daniel N.
If this is "wrong" in a tournament, then it is "wrong" to check down witha player when another player is all in to increase chances of his elimination. I do not believe what Daniel did is "wrong" in any way. It was unspoken, and it was his decision to call Alan, not because he felt he was definitely going to be giving him his chips, but he felt that Alan could be playing anything since he is so aggressive and Daniel may double up here. His hope was not to give up the chips, but to get a big enough stack to be able to go away from the tables for a while and deal with his personal issues while not being blinded out.This makes complete sense and Daniel should not be getting grief for this.
Agree to disagree, b/c obviously we read into it what we want and we can't change each others mind. but i will say this when DN says that he chose to "dump off" then that says to me that he was trying to at least give alan an edge if he missed his edge and that is ethically wrong. Is poker an ethical game not always but as a steward of the game I believe he should not be doing this.

What pisses me off about it is the fact that it's a waste of a lot of money. Money that can be put to good use, especially in a time where there are people that don't have homes. I think it's really insensitive of Daniel to just throw away 10 large when there are plenty of people that could make very good use of 10 thousand dollars. Yes, I've registered for 20 dollar tournaments and then realized I had to leave and thrown my chips away. And I really don't care if 10 thousand is like 20 dollars to DN. He needs to be more conscious of what kind of money he's throwing around. I really think it's ignorant. DN is a great guy and a good ambassador for poker. I hate seeing him do things like that.

What if he was doing this against an unknown player who has all his money riding on this one tournament? Would it be ethical then?
poker is kill or be killed. if you are dumb enough to have all your money riding on one tournament, then you are an idiot and deserve to be taken advantage of.
What if DN had a stake in Alan or Alan had a stake in DN?
lolIT'S ALAN GOEHRING FOR CHRIST'S SAKEsome of you are reading waaaay too much into this, get off your high horses already
Ever bought into a tournament, remembered something you needed to do or somewhere you needed to be, or your buddys call with some sort of plan and you tell the table " Hey, gotta go, who wants em? " I have. There is no difference.
What censored me off about it is the fact that it's a waste of a lot of money. Money that can be put to good use, especially in a time where there are people that don't have homes. I think it's really insensitive of Daniel to just throw away 10 large when there are plenty of people that could make very good use of 10 thousand dollars. Yes, I've registered for 20 dollar tournaments and then realized I had to leave and thrown my chips away. And I really don't care if 10 thousand is like 20 dollars to DN. He needs to be more conscious of what kind of money he's throwing around. I really think it's ignorant. DN is a great guy and a good ambassador for poker. I hate seeing him do things like that.
You have no idea what Daniel does for charuty and such. You admit that you have signed up for a tourney and wasted it. Its a waste just the same. You could have given that money to a Katrina Relief Fund instead. You should be ashamed of yourself :roll:
Personally i just think its a lucky table draw to be with a poker celeb who is busy and is disappointed that the event wont be televised?
Good point- Not bad for some non-pros to be able to get in all their money with an over pair against 2 unders. Plus it's one less guy in the field they have to worry about.
What censored me off about it is the fact that it's a waste of a lot of money. Money that can be put to good use, especially in a time where there are people that don't have homes. I think it's really insensitive of Daniel to just throw away 10 large when there are plenty of people that could make very good use of 10 thousand dollars. Yes, I've registered for 20 dollar tournaments and then realized I had to leave and thrown my chips away. And I really don't care if 10 thousand is like 20 dollars to DN. He needs to be more conscious of what kind of money he's throwing around. I really think it's ignorant. DN is a great guy and a good ambassador for poker. I hate seeing him do things like that.
You have no idea what Daniel does for charuty and such. You admit that you have signed up for a tourney and wasted it. Its a waste just the same. You could have given that money to a Katrina Relief Fund instead. You should be ashamed of yourself :roll:
$20 to us is like $10,000 to the starving people in 3rd world countries.
What if he was doing this against an unknown player who has all his money riding on this one tournament? Would it be ethical then?
poker is kill or be killed. if you are dumb enough to have all your money riding on one tournament, then you are an idiot and deserve to be taken advantage of.
What if DN had a stake in Alan or Alan had a stake in DN?
lolIT'S ALAN GOEHRING FOR CHRIST'S SAKEsome of you are reading waaaay too much into this, get off your high horses already
What's your point? Even the most wealthy tournament players are being staked or are staking someone. It's not completely out of the question that they're splitting some profits. I realize that is not the situation here, that's why i said "What if...". What if you knew the players involved are playing on a team? Would that be illegal? Really, the other players at the table have no clue as to whether or not Alan and DN are playing on a team.Your other point about being dumb enough to have all your money in one tourney doesnt make sense, bc it completely ignores the question. Would it be right? Maybe, maybe not.If DN had just randomly dumped his chips off to someone this wouldnt be much of an issue, but the fact is that he tried to dump all of his chips off to specifically Alan, and in my opinion that constitutes chip dumping.

i dont think i can say if its "right or wrong", what i will say is that it was stupid...i understand personal things come up in life, and they seem to come up at the worst of times....that being said, rather than play like a donk and go all in with k4 <because it was allen> why not blind yourself out? the " alan is a nice guy" comment suggests he was in a way trying to give his stack to alan..i know it was unspoken and dn could have had AA and aland didnt know, but this just smells more than a little funny...i dont think dn cheated or anything , i just think his play was donkish and very unbecoming a player of his stature....if your heart isnt inan event , why play? or better yet once you found out it wasnt a tv event and that you had to go , why not just sit out ?? im pretty disappointed it went down the way it did..i know 10k isnt a lot to a guy like dn, but 10 k wasnt alot for mc hammer in 1991 either..seems like somebody is losing a little touch with the common man...so if im wrong , flame away, but i call 'em like i see 'em

.....What is wrong? wrong is posting a thread about whether someones actions were wrong or not.
this is the stupidest sentence i have ever read.the point of a forum is to express opinions, some of which might actually be that someone has erred in judgement.
Ever bought into a tournament, remembered something you needed to do or somewhere you needed to be, or your buddys call with some sort of plan and you tell the table " Hey, gotta go, who wants em? "  I have. There is no difference.
thats not right though.any one player who gets them has gotten an unfair advantage.
And innocent people get killed every day.Life's unfair. It's not cheating, colluding, or unethical. DN bought into a tourney, realized he had more important things to attend to, and basically said "Fuck it" I've done the exact same thing as I'm sure most everyone else has. He wasn't raising, having a buddy come over the top so he could fold and give his chips away. He was re-reaising huge, putting the pressure on, and forcing whoever to play a big pot when the blinds are extremely small. I'm sure Alan DIDN'T want to play a big pot at this point in the tourney. This is not - in any way- even close to dumping chips.
i didnt say it was dumping chips.i was simply asking if what he did was right.i never gave my opinion, i was simply asking peoples opinions, as i am interested.ill give my opinion when i have one.

It's Daniel Negreanu's money, it's Daniel Negreanu's chips, what's there to argue? The man can do whatever he wants with it. DONE.You see it everyday in online poker tournaments, people go all in with weak hands. It happens everyday, every hour. Big tournament, small tournament. DN is just a big name, if a regular joe did that today in the first hand, people will call him a donkey. Not accuse him of improper conduct.

One other point- what happens if Daniel keeps pushing all in and starts winning hands? Does his emergency keep waiting? Get up and leave the table if you have an emergency!I'm sure Daniel wasn't trying to cheat but the classy move would have been to let his remaining chips blind off. I don't care if it's for 10 dollars or 10,000. Anything else screws with the integrity/fairness of the tournament.

I wish you guys went over all your own moral choices as much as you do someone elses.I find the use of someone elses' name as a handle to be very bad form. Not wrong, unless you mean pretty stupid.Hey, at the very least Daniel is the center of attention yet again. As I said before, the people who should be deciding the correctness of his actions should be OTHER PROS and not internet jokers who weren't even there.I let myself talk about it because I am a poker professional and was there... but my words have little weight. Imagine how little I respect some of the posts here.Everyone came late today to the tourney... so I wasn't able to get some feedback on this from people (and almost everyone - possibly everyone- from or near Daniel's table is out of the tourney).

I wish you guys went over all your own moral choices as much as you do someone elses.I find the use of someone elses' name as a handle to be very bad form. Not wrong, unless you mean pretty stupid.Hey, at the very least Daniel is the center of attention yet again. As I said before, the people who should be deciding the correctness of his actions should be OTHER PROS and not internet jokers who weren't even there.I let myself talk about it because I am a poker professional and was there... but my words have little weight. Imagine how little I respect some of the posts here.Everyone came late today to the tourney... so I wasn't able to get some feedback on this from people (and almost everyone - possibly everyone- from or near Daniel's table is out of the tourney).
i think of you as one of the most respected posters here, that being said, whenever you post ,you feel the need to rip the forum to shreads first..which in itself is fine by me , but i dont get why the need to come back and post further if you feel the forum is indeed as bad as you say it is..i would like your opinion on how dn handled ths is matter for the reason i stated above, i do feel you are one of the more respected posters on this site< if that holds any weight with you or not is on you>