• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cardinals and Red Sox  

missed it by that much  

If you root for St. Louis and you're not from the immediate St. Louis metro area, you're a horrible person.

To me, the Sunday Night Baseball announcers are a tad bit boring.Maybe he will grow on me but I find BV's accent annoying.

To me, the Sunday Night Baseball announcers are a tad bit boring.Maybe he will grow on me but I find BV's accent annoying.
I totally agree with that. I had gotten sick of Joe Morgan so glad they made a change but these guys are just boring. I do like Orel though. I wish guys from MLB network would do games. I find myself watching them for highlights instead of watching games.
I lol'd so hard at this the first time I watched it. Did anyone see if there was a postgame interview with some sort of explanation as to wtf he was thinking?
I read Verlander's quote after the game, and it's basically what Fangraphs says. He was planning to do a pickoff move, got his mechanics confused, and just tried to lob it to the plate to avoid a bawk.
  • 2 weeks later...

Marlins shout-out/Josh Johnson shout-outIt's utterly preposterous what Josh Johnson has done so far this year. He's 3-0 and leads the NL in ERA (1.06) and the majors in WHIP (0.65) and hits allowed per nine innings (3.4). That only begins to describe his dominance. The 6'7" righty has had a no-hitter for at least five innings in three -- three! -- of his five starts. In fact, in the first three innings of Johnson's starts, he has yet to allow a hit, with opponents going 0-for-45 with 20 strikeouts.Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writ...l#ixzz1KrCL1itY

Also, seriously fuck MLB's youtube policy.
I agree - I can only think it would help the league to let people search and watch mlb highlights or compilations on youtube, as one can with NFL games. However, mlb.com has extraordinarily good, extensive highlights for every single game, and they're constantly updated while the games are still going. The organization leaves something to be desired, but the thing to do is click on 'More from this game' in the tags under whatever video you're watching, if you want to see all the highlights from a particular game. And they're really extensive - any random game will have at least 8-10 video clips, often far more, and often with the radio calls edited in.

eric hosmer's first major league swing was a thing to remember. sure he only fouled the pitch off. but my goodness that swing had power and beauty and a raw sexuality that sent shivers through my body.

I agree - I can only think it would help the league to let people search and watch mlb highlights or compilations on youtube, as one can with NFL games. However, mlb.com has extraordinarily good, extensive highlights for every single game, and they're constantly updated while the games are still going. The organization leaves something to be desired, but the thing to do is click on 'More from this game' in the tags under whatever video you're watching, if you want to see all the highlights from a particular game. And they're really extensive - any random game will have at least 8-10 video clips, often far more, and often with the radio calls edited in.
I have good internet at home and at work. At both places, I cannot get mlb's videos to stream decently, with any consistency. I don't even bother anymore.
I have good internet at home and at work. At both places, I cannot get mlb's videos to stream decently, with any consistency. I don't even bother anymore.
That's strange. They work almost perfectly for me, and I watch them a lot. Now I'm just bragging.I think they changed it around a bit before this season. Have you tried recently?

Speaking of mlb videos, here's something you don't see everyday. Also it involves Tim Wakefield, but he is sadly not the hero.http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_...14&c_id=mlbFirst of all, the step-to-third, look-to-first actually catches a runner for the first time in recorded history, but then it turns out Wakefield cheated with an obscure sort of balk. Also Francona gets ejected and gets real mad. Fun all around.Also, fuck Joe West. Seriously what the fuck is he doing? Trying to get on tv? Protecting his bitch?

That Angel Hernandez sure doesn't have much respect around the league. The KC radio and TV crews barely even hide their disdain for him anymore, and in that video the Boston crew obviously feels the same.

Speaking of mlb videos, here's something you don't see everyday. Also it involves Tim Wakefield, but he is sadly not the hero.http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_...14&c_id=mlbFirst of all, the step-to-third, look-to-first actually catches a runner for the first time in recorded history, but then it turns out Wakefield cheated with an obscure sort of balk. Also Francona gets ejected and gets real mad. Fun all around.Also, fuck Joe West. Seriously what the fuck is he doing? Trying to get on tv? Protecting his bitch?
lol, the 3rd/1st move actually working. That is pretty funny. I hate it when the ump throws out the manager before he even starts arguing. That is BS. Plus, the video makes it look like the umpire initiated physical contact several times, also wrong.I don't know which ump that was, but Hernandez makes the worst calls. And yes, Joe West just does want face time. Do some reading on him, including the promos for his books. He really really just wants to get on tv. They should both be fired.
lol, the 3rd/1st move actually working. That is pretty funny. I hate it when the ump throws out the manager before he even starts arguing. That is BS. Plus, the video makes it look like the umpire initiated physical contact several times, also wrong.I don't know which ump that was, but Hernandez makes the worst calls. And yes, Joe West just does want face time. Do some reading on him, including the promos for his books. He really really just wants to get on tv. They should both be fired.
Isn't it an automatic ejection when you come out to argue ball/strike/balk calls?Also, I never understood why umpires just don't stand there and let the manager's fuse burn out...no need to engage with him at all once they reach that point.
Also, I never understood why umpires just don't stand there and let the manager's fuse burn out...no need to engage with him at all once they reach that point.
Some umpires (the ones who understand their job) still do that. Joe West isn't one of them; he'll do anything to become the center of attention.
Some umpires (the ones who understand their job) still do that. Joe West isn't one of them; he'll do anything to become the center of attention.
It will be interesting to see if Joe West will receive any discipline for putting his hands on Francona.
I don't know which ump that was, but Hernandez makes the worst calls. And yes, Joe West just does want face time. Do some reading on him, including the promos for his books. He really really just wants to get on tv. They should both be fired.
Hernandez called the questionable balk, then insta-ejected Francona. I agree that arguing a balk is an insta-ejection, but he barely even let Tito say a word. According to Francona in the press conference, he simply didn't understand what had happened. Yes, this was probably after already being ejected, but he said he wanted Hernandez to explain where the balk was, and instead Joe West gave him a series of hugs.A Sox reliever managed to balk in another run later in the game (not our best game of the season), and Francona said he wanted to run out from the clubhouse and tell Hernandez he got that one right.
That Angel Hernandez sure doesn't have much respect around the league. The KC radio and TV crews barely even hide their disdain for him anymore, and in that video the Boston crew obviously feels the same.
And of course Hawk Harrelson in Chicago is his biggest critic, which is pretty understandable after the Mark Buehrle balk fiasco.
Isn't it an automatic ejection when you come out to argue ball/strike/balk calls?Also, I never understood why umpires just don't stand there and let the manager's fuse burn out...no need to engage with him at all once they reach that point.
I don't know the rules on ejections, but I'm pretty sure it isn't.
Hernandez called the questionable balk, then insta-ejected Francona. I agree that arguing a balk is an insta-ejection, but he barely even let Tito say a word. According to Francona in the press conference, he simply didn't understand what had happened. Yes, this was probably after already being ejected, but he said he wanted Hernandez to explain where the balk was, and instead Joe West gave him a series of hugs.A Sox reliever managed to balk in another run later in the game (not our best game of the season), and Francona said he wanted to run out from the clubhouse and tell Hernandez he got that one right. And of course Hawk Harrelson in Chicago is his biggest critic, which is pretty understandable after the Mark Buehrle balk fiasco.
Yeah, normally I'd at least have questions, but Hernandez is so often wrong and West so often an idiot that I'm giving Francona the full benefit of the doubt here. I know West was the crew chief, but he had absolutely no reason to get involved.
I don't know the rules on ejections, but I'm pretty sure it isn't.Yeah, normally I'd at least have questions, but Hernandez is so often wrong and West so often an idiot that I'm giving Francona the full benefit of the doubt here. I know West was the crew chief, but he had absolutely no reason to get involved.
I found this:According to the umpiring supervisor at Fenway Park, you cannot argue a "step-balk." It's an automatic ejection. It's the same as arguing balls and strikes -- automatic ejection.