Random Baseball Observations

The dangers of steroid use, at least the dangers presented in the public forum, seem trivial when compared to the long-term effects of, for example, being a professional athlete, drinking, nicotine, and many others."
Drinking doesn't give the player a competitive advantage. It's not MLB's place to make the players safe from their own health decisions. It is MLB's place to make MLB itself safe for the players. Assuming steroids are unsafe, then MLB puts the marginal player in a situation where he has to choose between playing major league baseball or being safe. Allowing steroids is therefore unethical because it influences (through the offer of money and fame) people to be unsafe. It's the same reason outfields fences are padded instead of lined with spikes.Measuring the safety of steroids may be a difficult piece of science, but I think the ethics are straight-forward once that is established.
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cardinals and Red Sox  

missed it by that much  

If you root for St. Louis and you're not from the immediate St. Louis metro area, you're a horrible person.

on the same note, if the cardinals dont resign albert pujols i'll be writing some letters to the cardinals owner applying for the GM position, or at the very least, the resignation of every one in the front office.
Nobody in baseball is worth the kind of money he wants. If there was, though, he'd be it.
Fangraphs had Pujols' value for the first 10 years of his career at $285 million. He was paid $85 million.Should that discrepancy be considered in the contract? So if you project his next 10 years at $85 million, you can still pay him $285 million and come out fair?
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Moneyball 2.0? Looks good.
One review I read somewhere compared the two but said that Keri's book is a lot like Moneyball 2.0 but less elitist-sounding, or snooty-sounding, or something to that effect (can't remember the exact quote). I didn't mind the way Lewis basically attacked old-school idiots in Moneyball, but I can understand why some might be turned off by his tone in that book. So if Keri really pulled off a less snooty version of Moneyball (with a team I personally already love anyway), then this book is probably two scoops of straight awesome.
and I would be quite surprised if batglove isn't being used by spring training next season, or even by the world series this year.
Color me surprised. Unless there are talks about implementing some sort of solution to the broken bats, and I just haven't heard about it.
Color me surprised. Unless there are talks about implementing some sort of solution to the broken bats, and I just haven't heard about it.
I had never heard of this, but I just looked it up. Why is this product not being used?
  • 2 weeks later...
Winners win.Read the article he links to. Amazing stuff.
He makes a smart point. Just like that guy with an amazing OBP was undervalued in the 40's and 50's, maybe we're just not appreciating certain things that make guys like Carlos Pena and David Eckstein winners despite no mathematical explanation for it. Maybe in 50 years, they'll wonder why things like SE (Sonar Effectiveness) and TTIR (Telepathic Teammate Improvement Rate) were underappreciated in 2010...
He makes a smart point. Just like that guy with an amazing OBP was undervalued in the 40's and 50's, maybe we're just not appreciating certain things that make guys like Carlos Pena and David Eckstein winners despite no mathematical explanation for it. Maybe in 50 years, they'll wonder why things like SE (Sonar Effectiveness) and TTIR (Telepathic Teammate Improvement Rate) were underappreciated in 2010...
lol.I like how he first references Jeters 4 championships, and then somehow uses all of his "data" to conclude that perhaps Jeter isn't even good enough to play on the Yankees.
I don't know who Ken Tremendous is or why he has 25,000 followers, but he had me at his avatar.
He was one of the writers at www.firejoemorgan.com. No longer posting, but likely the greatest website in history. I was too lazy to link it, but you get the idea. I did not know he had twitter, but will now follow.
I was so incredibly excited to watch Parks and Recreation when I found out it was written by him. I was disappointed.edit - didn't realize he wrote for SB Nation now. With Rob Neyer there too, guess I'm long overdue to make that a regular stop.
Manny Ramirez retiring after positive drug test."Major League Baseball recently notified Manny Ramirez of an issue under Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program," the statement said. "Rather than continue with the process under the Program, Ramirez has informed MLB that he is retiring as an active player. If Ramirez seeks reinstatement in the future, the process under the Drug Program will be completed."MLB said it would have no further comment. A second positive test under the program results in a 100-game suspension, and a third test results in a lifetime ban.
Manny Ramirez retiring after positive drug test."Major League Baseball recently notified Manny Ramirez of an issue under Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program," the statement said. "Rather than continue with the process under the Program, Ramirez has informed MLB that he is retiring as an active player. If Ramirez seeks reinstatement in the future, the process under the Drug Program will be completed."MLB said it would have no further comment. A second positive test under the program results in a 100-game suspension, and a third test results in a lifetime ban.
Is Manny also waving goodbye to the HOF?
Is Manny also waving goodbye to the HOF?
Well, so far the voters haven't been putting any known steroid guys in, so he probably wasn't going in anyway. The fact that he's retiring under that cloud just makes it even less likely.But he easily has the numbers to get in.
Well, so far the voters haven't been putting any known steroid guys in, so he probably wasn't going in anyway. The fact that he's retiring under that cloud just makes it even less likely.But he easily has the numbers to get in.
Agreed. The fact that Bagwell wasn't voted in first ballot when he's never even had any connection to PEDs doesn't bode well for Manny. Or anyone really, since apparently even if your numbers are phenomenal they will keep you out just based on unfounded suspicion of PED use alone.

I'd guess a lot of these guys end up getting in. Bagwell didn't, but a lot of those guys don't just based on irrational voters who don't want a guy to get in on the first ballot unless he's Mickey Mantle. In a few years when this has calmed down and people start looking more closely at the numbers and not accusing anyone with a bicep.Now, I could see someone like Manny being kept out a lot longer, since it isn't just unfounded accusations in his case, or even a McGwire situation where he wasn't explicitly breaking a rule...he's been caught twice. That's bad.