didn't even start to explain what/why the island/the light is, why it needs a guardian
oh I think that was explained probably more than it should have been.
also didn't explain the confusing implication that smokey today actually still IS the original dead MiB (based on his relationship with jacob, using same phrases, drawn parallel desire to leave) - not just a separate entity with its own motives taking MiB and other dead people's forms.
I took that it was actually him, just in like some kind of spirit form after his body was dead. It still has MiB's motives: it wants to get off the island.
  • Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the richard episode, during a flashback, MIB says that jacob took his humanity. the smoke monster is what MIB became when thrown into the cave - immortal and trapped.

Well then explain it to me!!
me too
me three --- is that overkill?
Look, if you don't know what "light" is inside of you/humanity/life itself that is in need of protecting, all I can say is that the Jacobs of the world have failed.
Look, if you don't know what "light" is inside of you/humanity/life itself that is in need of protecting, all I can say is that the Jacobs of the world have failed.
So the island is me?What does that make the Polar Bears that time traveled to Africa? A cyst?
This little light of mine,I'm gonna let it shineThis little light of mine,I'm gonna let it shineThis little light of mine,I'm gonna let it shineLet it shine,Let it shine,Let it shine.Hide it under a bushel? No!I'm gonna let it shineHide it under a bushel? No!I'm gonna let it shineHide it under a bushel? No!I'm gonna let it shineLet it shine,Let it shine,Let it shine.This little light of mine,I'm gonna let it shineThis little light of mine,I'm gonna let it shineThis little light of mine,I'm gonna let it shineLet it shine,Let it shine,Let it shine.Don't let Satan blow it out,I'm gonna let it shineDon't let Satan blow it out,I'm gonna let it shineDon't let Satan blow it out,I'm gonna let it shineLet it shine,Let it shine,Let it shine.
So based on that, I don't see how there is anyway they can answer all the open ended questions in 3 more hours of television.
they wont answer everything. the creators are on record, i believe, already as saying that there will be unanswered questions.
or the buddhists of the world have

I really liked the episode. I've been waiting for a "mythology" episode for quite some time, and I thought this did nicely. I liked how it established that Jacob and MiB weren't eternal and all powerful entities, but rather were just normal people who were given a job. Throughout the show, the writers have built up people as being all knowing, and then later revealed them to simply be humans with as many unanswered questions as anyone else (ie Ben). Also, there was plenty of bible allusions in that episode.I agree that smokey is still MiB after his soul was torn out from his body, or something like that. One thing that's unclear: Jacob's mother stopped MiB from finishing the well and installing the wheel. So, when does it get installed? Does MiB do it later in his smokey form? Was all this after the Egyptians were on the island?Also, stupid question, were Jacob and MiB supposed to be speaking another language the whole episode? Was that the idea of the subtitles going away?

Was all this after the Egyptians were on the island?
I think before, because there's no statue yet that we saw, and the temple isn't there yet and doesn't it have a whole bunch of egyptian stuff in it?
Also, stupid question, were Jacob and MiB supposed to be speaking another language the whole episode? Was that the idea of the subtitles going away?
I think the mother was speaking Latin in the beginning? After that I didn't notice. Interesting idea though, could be.

Yeah it was latin. I hope enough of it gets answered in the last few hours, I'd hate to be left wondering about a ton of things. It was great to know that they are ordinary people, and were brothers. But how did they become to hate each other so much? Even after MiB killed their "mother", Jacob may have hated him.. but there's still things left unanswered to that.And still one thing.. how the fuck is he Locke?

they wont answer everything. the creators are on record, i believe, already as saying that there will be unanswered questions.
they could answer all the questions in reporting format for 2 hours. they should get Jack Handy to do the narritive.
lolLanguage: They simply used a segue to transition to Enlish, although the intention was that they were still yapping in Latin. They did something like that in Hunt For Red October, where Ramius was speaking Russian, they close-up on his mouth and then he continues speaking in English as the shot pulls away.Egyptians: This has to be earlier than Egyptians, who knows how much earlier, though.MIB: Eventually, we see him restored to his "body", even though it got buried. We see this because, later, Jacob offers fish to MIB as they watch the Black Rock...Not sure how MIB could appear as his original body, at least for a while, but it could be that, once he appeared as Christian (for example) he might not be allowed to manifest as MIB any more, although he gets around as Smokey well enough.I think there is a "formula" in place for MIB to manifest as someone else. Something like: The person he appears as has to have died OFF island, but the body ends up ON the island. To whit: Christian Shephard (died in Aus, body came with O815); Locke (died OFF island, body came back on Ajira flight); ...who else...?
And still one thing.. how the fuck is he Locke?
What? He's Locke, because Locke's dead body is on the island. Just like when he's his original self, it's because his original self's body is on the island. Was that the question or are you looking for a scientific explanation?

So then he could take the form of any of the "others" and now Jin and Sun? I like Jin and the actor that plays him so I hope for my entertainment he takes Jin's form.

So then he could take the form of any of the "others" and now Jin and Sun? I like Jin and the actor that plays him so I hope for my entertainment he takes Jin's form.
Most of the "others", Jin and Sun (and Charlie, Shannon, Boone, etc) died either ON the island or within it's sphere of influence, I think, so that may fall outside the "formula" and preclude MIB from appearing as any of them.
Most of the "others", Jin and Sun (and Charlie, Shannon, Boone, etc) died either ON the island or within it's sphere of influence, I think, so that may fall outside the "formula" and preclude MIB from appearing as any of them.
ahh good point, died off the island but dead body brought back. Makes sense. Well makes "Lost" sense.
I think before, because there's no statue yet that we saw, and the temple isn't there yet and doesn't it have a whole bunch of egyptian stuff in it?
the game found by MiB (senet) is ancient egyptian, so it could well be after. the boys lived on the island with other people for 12 years before encountering them. as big as they've implied the island is the statue/temple could easily be on the other side without the boys being aware of it, particularly if the mother didn't want them to be.the hieroglyph of the smoke monster could refer to the mother

I'm struggling along here. I really didn't like this episode, it didn't engage me at all. From reading the comments here, are you all supposing that the MiB is Smokey? I thought Smokey was around earlier. Who else would have been responsible for killing all of the MiB's people and torching their huts?

I'm struggling along here. I really didn't like this episode, it didn't engage me at all. From reading the comments here, are you all supposing that the MiB is Smokey? I thought Smokey was around earlier. Who else would have been responsible for killing all of the MiB's people and torching their huts?
its like some of you dont even pay attention.

I am pretty sure that MiB and smokey are one in the same. At least I think that is what I got out of that ep. I as well was not impressed with it.