It's not a cop out. The whole season was based around this last episode. I guess I can see why you didn't like it, but if they purposefully led up to this it's not a cop out, per se. You just don't like the direction they chose for the series, and didn't get to realize it until now because that's how they do things.I just...nothing in the series makes sense, really. It's about a magical island.Edit: I just realized that you're much more predisposed to suspend your disbelief for a magical time travelling island than for a shared life after death. Which is fair, I see your point.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a cop out. The whole season was based around this last episode.
the series was certainly not based around the ending. that IS the cop out. nothing was leading up to it, and it didn't make any sense other than in terms of contrived pandering emotional schmultz.
You just don't like the direction they chose for the series, and didn't get to realize it until now because that's how they do things.
the direction was different for most of the series - much more complex and meaningful. the ending was simplistic nonsense meant to wrap everything up quickly.
I just...nothing in the series makes sense, really. It's about a magical island.
nothing in the series makes sense NOW. it easily could have. even if some of the answers are metaphysical they still couldhave at least made an attempt to tie something together. even the alternate as a type of purgatory (or whatever) made no sense,other than as a lame contrivance to bring back old characters and show reunions.
the series was certainly not based around the ending. that IS the cop out.
Fine, so that entire story line is a cop out. Which, apparently, is half of season 6. Although...no, I'm still not with you. They didn't have to do this part of the story. They absolutely could have just made season 6 without the whole purgatory thing, since in the end it had no connection whatsoever with the story as it was unfolding. Not a cop out, a choice. Now if you want to argue it was a bad choice, fine.
the direction was different for most of the series - much more complex and meaningful. the ending was simplistic nonsense meant to wrap everything up quickly.
Again, I disagree. All the last church scene did was wrap up the purgatory story, and the purgatory story was only in place so they could have that church scene.
nothing was leading up to it, and it didn't make any sense other than in terms of contrived pandering emotional schmultz.
This, I'll buy. I'd probably be saying the same thing if I was at all emotionally invested in the show.And I bet they made a very high percentage of their audience extremely happy with that schmultz, so I can't fault them too much for making that choice. Sacrificing artistic merit to please your very large and passionate audience isn't the worst thing in the world. But, maybe I'm wrong and most fans of the show agree with you.
nothing in the series makes sense NOW. it easily could have. even if some of the answers are metaphysical they still could have at least made an attempt to tie something together. even the alternate as a type of purgatory (or whatever) made no sense, other than as a lame contrivance to bring back old characters and show reunions.
You're just mad the ending was in a church and about the afterlife.-BG
Fine, so that entire story line is a cop out. Which, apparently, is half of season 6. Although...no, I'm still not with you. They didn't have to do this part of the story. They absolutely could have just made season 6 without the whole purgatory thing, since in the end it had no connection whatsoever with the story as it was unfolding. Not a cop out, a choice. Now if you want to argue it was a bad choice, fine.
semantics. they took the laziest way out they possibly could get away with.
And I bet they made a very high percentage of their audience extremely happy with that schmultz,
based on early fan voting returns it's in the bottom half of all episodes.
You're just mad the ending was in a church and about the afterlife.
actually "BG" that as a plot point doesn't bother me, particularly if they would have implied reincarnation a little more clearly (there was some implication). the fact that it's a lazy contrivance that took up 1/2 a season and ignores and renders meaningless the bulk of what happened in the series does bother me.

K well while you bitch, I thought it was one of the finest finales to ever grace the television. Every character awed and shined and it was incredibly epic and intense. Kate ("I saved you a bullet." to a now near-death Locke) was an epic quote I won't forget for years to come. The ending was outstanding. They had merged the two timelines together beautifully, but not in a way that you would think. If you thought they took the lazy way out, so be it. But they definitely didn't. (Considering Lindelof has stated throughout time he knew what the final scene would be) A fine show with a great ending.

i thought it was great. and if you werent expecting an ending like that, then, well, you're an idiot.
after the complexity of the first 5 seasons only an idiot would expect such a mentally lazy ending.
If you thought they took the lazy way out, so be it. But they definitely didn't. (Considering Lindelof has stated throughout time he knew what the final scene would be) A fine show with a great ending.
he was talking about jack closing his eye at the end, which is nothing more than a matter of poetic symmetry. has nothing to do with the plot.
he was talking about jack closing his eye at the end, which is nothing more than a matter of poetic symmetry. has nothing to do with the plot.
Maybe not, but you have to realize that that symmetry was coming all along. There are certain safety nets that shows like Lost have to fall into, and devices like your first and last scene paralleling each other are one of them.
I'd say Jack dying has to do with the plot.
Maybe not, but you have to realize that that symmetry was coming all along. There are certain safety nets that shows like Lost have to fall into, and devices like your first and last scene paralleling each other are one of them.
the final scene isn't the problem. jack closing his eye in it is just something generic lindeloff knew would happen from the beginning that could have been fit into any plot.

I joked a year ago that I bet they all died or that this whole thing was just a dream. Seemed obvious really.Never watched the show but watched the last 2 hours. Pretty damn good imo.

K well while you bitch, I thought it was one of the finest finales to ever grace the television. Every character awed and shined and it was incredibly epic and intense. Kate ("I saved you a bullet." to a now near-death Locke) was an epic quote I won't forget for years to come. The ending was outstanding. They had merged the two timelines together beautifully, but not in a way that you would think.
Ok, well, I'm not willing to go anywhere near this far.
I joked a year ago that I bet they all died or that this whole thing was just a dream. Seemed obvious really.
You were wrong, so...?

I was right there with them until the scene where jack meets his dad and it was revealed that sideways world was some kind of heaven. The "we're all dead" explanation for anything just seems reeeally stupid. That said, there was something really nice about the episode as a whole and I really liked the events on the island.

So this is what I'm left with as a general guess.Everything that happened on the island was real. Everyone of the main characters was alive etc. The alt-timeline was something like a purgatory for the losties. It doesn't matter when they die in the real timeline because time doesn't exist in purgatory. Everyone on the plane could have made it back safely and lived to be 70 for all we know ( same for Hugo/Desmond/Ben)

So this is what I'm left with as a general guess.Everything that happened on the island was real. Everyone of the main characters was alive etc. The alt-timeline was something like a purgatory for the losties. It doesn't matter when they die in the real timeline because time doesn't exist in purgatory. Everyone on the plane could have made it back safely and lived to be 70 for all we know ( same for Hugo/Desmond/Ben)
Yea, this is kind of what I got out of the whole point of Dad saying :"There is no 'now' here". And then Hurley telling Ben that he WAS a good number 2. Like they had many experiences etc.I thought they did a good job of bringing back all the people who died in the sideways flashes, and the way they did it was very touching. Their connections with other people is what gave them their lives back, kind of an answer to why they were chosen as candidates..because they were broken and alone.Except Sayid..for crying out loud he had one date with that spoiled high maintenance chick who slept with her brother 2 weeks before Sayid's date. And his love interest for the rest of the show was the chick who drove his every thought for the majority of his post army life...But other than that it was a good way to bring them back and give them a happy life.Kind of surprised that Jacob didn't end up in the church though.
what? you don't think "i saved a you a bullet" was one of the most epic quotes in the history of tv? :club:
EPIC. Hell, even in movies, the only line that's even close is True Lies', "You're fired!"
I was right there with them until the scene where jack meets his dad and it was revealed that sideways world was some kind of heaven.
heaven isn't the right word. it was some sort of waiting area before "moving on".there's a strong underlying eastern religious theme here (seems like kind of a mish mash but closest to hinduism i guess?) - everyone is tied together by the same force, everyone has to have realizations to move on to the next level whatever that means, lives of certain individuals tied together metaphysically, emphasizing fate in general, light in a cave etc.
Ok, granted, I'm not a Lost fan, I've never before watched a full episode, and I just caught up by watching the two hour thing before the finale while studying...but that makes me fairly objective, right? Also uninformed, but whatever.Anyway, what the hell were you doing wasting six years on a show like this if this wasn't the kind of finale you wanted? Honestly, how the fuck were they going to end such a ridiculous sequence of events in a way that would actually make any sense whatsoever? Some people died, some made it off the island, some stayed voluntarily to play a certain part, and in the end every relationship had some closure. The End.I liked it.
YOU'VE GOT A LOT OF OPINIONS FOR A JOHNNY-COME-LATELYOk as someone who HAS watched at least one full episode (the pilot) and at least parts of other episodes from the first season, here is my opinion: I want to see more of that guy who played Jack. Whatever his name is, he is a proverbial "hottie with a body".The best thing I've read about Lost is that the real mystery of the show is how Hurley seemed to get even bigger despite all the walking around on the island (and presumably lack of accessibility to fast food). I wonder where that actor can possibly go from here. I'm sure he's a nice guy and everything, though. I just kinda don't want to ever look at him. He's like opposite-of-Jack.
heaven isn't the right word. it was some sort of waiting area before "moving on".
Yeah. But I just mean it in the sense that they are both dead and happy.
there's a strong underlying eastern religious theme here (seems like kind of a mish mash but closest to hinduism i guess?) - everyone is tied together by the same force, everyone has to have realizations to move on to the next level whatever that means, lives of certain individuals tied together metaphysically, emphasizing fate in general, light in a cave etc.
They made a point of having all the religions represented in that church. The stained glass window behind christian shephard had symbols for hinduism, buddhism, christianity, islam, and taoism. But then they lined up the "father's" head right with the sun that shined from the center of all the religious symbols.