HI  

82 members have voted

1. 1. if you had 6 months of living expenses and a 15k BR would you move to vegas?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'd just play online

I don't know you well except a few old threads and posts which didn't help your popularity on this forum but i can see you are trying to get things right in your life and i always respect and encourage that.At worst you lose a couple of thousand and go broke. I think you are young enough to recover from that without having any major problems.I say give it a try. At worst you go broke and rebuild.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's awesome that you think a $400 suit is impressive.
LOL.....and he's not even kidding.

Wish you good luck...Quotes to remember:AA will lose to KK as many times as it will win.Have other interests.Learn to take bad beats... you will dish out as many as you take.Set daily goals / limits, when reached stop playing.People sitting at the table are not your friends.I would rather own several $200 to $400 suits because that is who I am, versus pretending to be something or someone that I am not who owns one $2000 suit.

Wish you good luck...Quotes to remember:AA will lose to KK as many times as it will win.Have other interests.Learn to take bad beats... you will dish out as many as you take.Set daily goals / limits, when reached stop playing.People sitting at the table are not your friends.I would rather own several $200 to $400 suits because that is who I am, versus pretending to be something or someone that I am not who owns one $2000 suit.
I disagree with that.As long as you're playing your A game, and are playing within a bankroll, then there's no reason to leave a table if you are losing, or winning too much. It's a long run game, session to session results are meaningless.
I disagree with that.As long as you're playing your A game, and are playing within a bankroll, then there's no reason to leave a table if you are losing, or winning too much. It's a long run game, session to session results are meaningless.
As do I, when sitting at 1-2 NL 300 max sometimes I get up to 1500 when playing goot I would not consider leaving at that point. I have never been a fan of people setting a daily goals but to each his own. WHen I play live it's usually a fatigue thing usually stop after 8-10 hours.MJ has 2k suits 400 dollar suits are fine for me, it wasn't a brag post I was just saying that comparing myself to the other "defendents"

I love Vegas, but wouldn't move at this stage of my life. Now if I hit the $20 million FL lottery tonight, I would own a house there so I could go play 3 or 4 times a year. Rent it out for WSOP to FCPers and have a ball!!!!

Zach, are you sure that's the only part of that post you disagree with???
Heh, there's a couple other things, but I only wanted to touch on that.The first thing, I think is just a wording mistake. I think he means you'll lose with AA vs KK the same amount as you'll win KK vs AA.The other one that I may take issue with is the thing about dishing out bad beats. I tend to start with better cards than my opponents, on average, and fold when not getting the right price for my suckout, so I'd say I don't dish out nearly as many bad beats as I receive, but I definitely do a few.

Yeah the more aggressive I play the more bad beats I dish out, but I'm very rarely calling off and dishing bad beats, much more likely I shoved and am behind.

I have never been a fan of people setting a daily goals but to each his own. WHen I play live it's usually a fatigue thing usually stop after 8-10 hours.
Hours not results is perfecto. I don't know how many times I've seen that written by pros, and while my fatigue factor is currently at like 5-6 hours, it's in constant improvement.Remember this though, you may think it's hard controlling your drinking and stupid mistakes when online, but it's just as tough, if not tougher to do it live when everyone is downing some. I hope you don't do anything dumb and do right with this decision though. Just be smart to tune out the waitress when she comes out, or have some restraint. I like a drink every now and then, but I'm strictly a soda guy when I'm at the tables.Good luck. I agree with Balloon Guy, do this while you're young and still have a chance to chase your dream.
I don't own a suit. I own lots of t-shirts, though.
I will not own a suit for a long time. I will not do anything that sacrifices comfort when I could still have both style and comfort. Eventually I'll need one, but I'm honestly in no hurry to need one.
Personally my goal is to accomplish this (goal 10k) and move in with my cousin who lives 10 minutes from foxwoods. I'd much rather play live because I do bad things after 11pm while online for reasons unknownDiscuss..ZOMG everytime I edit it cancels responses, weakkkkkkkkkk
Good luck. Like BG said, this is something you can do now, instead of when you have a housefull of kids, a wife, a mortgage, a job and a couple girls on the side. Anyway, go .. win ... have fun ... blow up ... and maybe it will all be the learning experience you need, and then in a few years, you can move forward for real.
I will not own a suit for a long time. I will not do anything that sacrifices comfort when I could still have both style and comfort. Eventually I'll need one, but I'm honestly in no hurry to need one.
I've survived in my career without one. Why ruin a good thing? :)Also, all of my clothes combined didn't cost 400 dollars.

It all a matter of personal experience when setting daily goals. I understand that some think you have to ride winning session for as long as possible to maximize, its a valid point. My point is unless you have ten's of years of experience how do you know when session is over? You get a feeling? All your chips are gone? A tremor in force? If I get down to $1500 I am out of here? I can win it back! As soon as I get back to $XX-XX I am out of here!We have never been able to figure out if its the player or the seat that is hot. Some days you will see a hot player, as soon as s/he leaves the seat goes cold. Some days its the seat that is hot, Skill level makes no difference its who sitting there. Wish I knew the answer.Some may disagree with this statement, this is my personal opinion: Poker is a game of decisions. The more good decisions you make the more you deposit into you bank. The bad decisions you make are rationalized by claiming they were bad beats and in a percentage of the time it is true bad beat. I saw this yesterday: Player 1 - AA, player 2 -98 Flop 2-9-9, turn A, River 9 I had tossed A-3 suited UTG. I shook my head and was thankful I made a good decision.I have found the more aggressive I play the more beatings I take. I also know when playing premium hands the beatings still happen, therefore, I have now adopted the following statement: People will call you with anything, because they have more money than brains. I know many of you will say "where is that table"? You can have it. I'll watch you win a few and lose a few.

It all a matter of personal experience when setting daily goals. I understand that some think you have to ride winning session for as long as possible to maximize, its a valid point. My point is unless you have ten's of years of experience how do you know when session is over? You get a feeling? All your chips are gone? A tremor in force? If I get down to $1500 I am out of here? I can win it back! As soon as I get back to $XX-XX I am out of here!We have never been able to figure out if its the player or the seat that is hot. Some days you will see a hot player, as soon as s/he leaves the seat goes cold. Some days its the seat that is hot, Skill level makes no difference its who sitting there. Wish I knew the answer.Some may disagree with this statement, this is my personal opinion: Poker is a game of decisions. The more good decisions you make the more you deposit into you bank. The bad decisions you make are rationalized by claiming they were bad beats and in a percentage of the time it is true bad beat. I saw this yesterday: Player 1 - AA, player 2 -98 Flop 2-9-9, turn A, River 9 I had tossed A-3 suited UTG. I shook my head and was thankful I made a good decision.I have found the more aggressive I play the more beatings I take. I also know when playing premium hands the beatings still happen, therefore, I have now adopted the following statement: People will call you with anything, because they have more money than brains. I know many of you will say "where is that table"? You can have it. I'll watch you win a few and lose a few.
You're joking right? Please say you are.
Which are?
It's a long run session. If you continue to play your A game, or are playing well, etc, then it doesn't matter how you do on a session by session basis. If you want to leave when you get to a certain dollar amount, that's fine, if you want to play a certain amount of time, that's fine. It doesn't matter though. As long as you're playing the same game (read: not tilting, steaming, etc), it doesn't matter if you play one round, sit out for an hour, play another round, sit out, etc, say 5 times; it would be the same as sitting for 5 consecutive rounds. Extend that to playing 100 hands in one day, for each day for a week, it's the same as playing 50,50,200,100,100,25,175 hands over 7 days. It's a long run game. I think I explained this very poorly, but I think there's too much to even scratch the surface.I would recommend reading Theory of Poker.
I would rather own several $200 to $400 suits because that is who I am, versus pretending to be something or someone that I am not who owns one $2000 suit.
It's awesome that you think a $2000 suit is impressive. copyright Ron Mexico inc. All rights reserved

I almost said yes in the poll, but then I realized it'd be a lie because I'm not in vegas. I think that playing live, with only 10k for a BR is going to be a big long grind. I'm assuming you'll be playing 200NL and you'd get in 30 hands per hour if you're lucky. If you play for 40 hours per week, thats only 12000 hands. Online, you could get that many hands about 16x as fast if you 4 table 8 hours a day. Let's assume you're incrdible and can sustain 15bb/100 hands...that means $60/100 hands, or about $18/hour. That's not even that much.I wish you luck but think that you might want to grind a 40k BR plus one years' of expenses and be playing 600NL and 1000NL live to make it worthwhile and not to make it feel like such a grind.

AA will lose to KK as many times as it will win.I would rather own several $200 to $400 suits because that is who I am, versus pretending to be something or someone that I am not who owns one $2000 suit.
I'm no numbers guy, but I'm not sure that first statement is correct.and there is nothing wrong with $400 suits, I probably have 3 or 4 myself. I just like messing with FWP ever since he got on AIM, found my screen name, tried to berate me and insult me for making gay jokes on the internet, thinking he knows me. It's kind of become a hobby in my spare time. He's douchey, and kind of comical in a "I'm laughing at you" sort of way.
It's awesome that you think a $2000 suit is impressive. copyright Ron Mexico inc. All rights reserved
thank you sir. Residuals waived. This time.
A well tailored suit is super duper comfortable. Cheap suits are cheap because they're not tailored to your body. But man, a crisp cotton shirt and comfortable suit that breathes... FTW.