So this is a topic i've researched a bit and am just wondering what you guys think are some awesome poker movies?I know i have my picks but i'll let you guys know later.
You could check out the proper list, "Poker Movies", to discover some of the general poker movie choices for those that haunt these forums. I mean, it's always a good idea to look (and ask) in the right place for the best answers.
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the movie Shade however I dont think its a very good "poker movie"Who plays 5 card draw(No-Limit nonetheless) where tables stakes have no meaning. He (Jamie Foxx's character) starts pulling thousands of dollars out of his pockets, and the other guy gets backed by the club to call his bet. Its more of a con-artist, back stab, revenge type movie, with poker as a backdrop.Another funny scene is when Foxx's character is first introduced and hes playing no limit hold'em, and has pocket nines and the other guy has pocket kings, Foxx flops a set of nines and goes all-in, kings call, turn is a king, Foxx asks the dealer for a another nine, and hits it like no big deal happens all the time.

Ooh, forgot about that one.Lock stock is a pretty funny movie, but there's not all that much poker.I mean there are plenty of movies with a good poker scene in them. Oceans 11 comes to mind in that category

I would have to say that Rounders was not that great. The acting was great but the story line just seemed to predictable. The thing that bothered me most about it was that Matt Damon had built up a nice bankroll. This says he must be very good at poker and have some discipline. Then he decides to put his entire bankroll on the table at once? This just does not make sense to me. A law school student, obviously very intelligent and he goes broke in one night? I understand that it is a movie and it probaly would have seemed alot better if I did not know anything about poker when I first saw it. Cincinati Kid all the way.

Curtis Hanson (Wonder Boys, 8 Mile) is directing "Lucky You" which will star Eric Bana, Drew Barrymore and Robert Duval. Here's the log line from IMDB.com: "Set among the poker tables of Las Vegas, Huck Cheever (Bana), tries to beat the odds and his own demons in order to win a world championship." I read an early draft of the script and was very impressed. Think it could be a great poker flick. Maybe even on par with Rounders. The writer, Eric Roth, really captured the culture and mythology of Vegas poker. I also hear that Doyle Brunson has a film deal to develop his life story. That would be a really awesome movie, following Doyle from his early years, getting drafted by the lakers, hitting the road as a Texas road gambler, his brush with death and subsequent rise to the top of the poker world as he wins back to back WSOP bracelets. So far there are no details on this project but I'll keep you guys posted if I hear anything.

What about Revenge of the Nerds when Booger is teaching Takoshi how to play poker. "See these Kings, you don't want those. Trade those in for 3 new cards." "I think I have the Frush". "What the f--k is a frush"

I've seen Rounders a fair few times and I expect I will watch it a few more times, its a decent film, but not one to take too seriously. The more you think about the scenario's in the film the more its makes no sense to how the actual poker world is. They just picked up a few key things from poker and ran with it.That said I dont like to think to much when watching a movie so I quite like it, it's not about poker, its a film with poker in it a lot more than most others.When I really think of it I expect it will be quite hard to make a decent film about poker thats 'true-ish' to how it is in the real world and still highly entertaining for 90 minutes. I think the closest you will get is films like the Stu Ungar one, basically taking someone who lived to the edge to add interest in the story, once again though this turns into a movie not about poker but about a person who dabbled in poker. But then I will let the guys and gals at Universal Studios worry about those issues. Playing is much more fun than watching anyway!! :D

Anyone seen Luckytown?Is it any good?"Kirsten Dunst is on a quest to find her father who is a notorious gambler. She picks up a video store clerk with a dream of being 'the' poker player and heads off to Las Vegas to find happiness, her father, or ruin. Lots of good action, great gambling scenes, Kirsten looks particularly sweet and she pole dances. Can you think of a better one?"

How about Kaleidoscope?Old movie from 1966 but is it any good?"Usually, I can't take Warren Beatty movies, but the card playing in this film was more realistic than most. Barney is a sly, cheating, debonair poker player who has to play in a really high profile game to defend his title as the 'luckiest poker player ever' and win the killer pot."

Ocean's 11 is in a catagory all its own.One of the best movies ever made IMO
if you mean the original oceans 11 then yes....if you mean the remake then uggggghhhh
if you mean the original oceans 11 then yes....if you mean the remake then uggggghhhh
No way iveyfan, the sequel all the way.
What about Revenge of the Nerds when Booger is teaching Takoshi how to play poker. "See these Kings, you don't want those. Trade those in for 3 new cards." "I think I have the Frush". "What the f--k is a frush"
Ohmigod! How could I forget? Maybe not the best poker movie of all time but certainly up there on my comedy list. Probably number three behind "The Big Lebowski" and "Fletch". BTW... A king, a nine and a seven always beats a frush.
I hate to break it to all the Maverick Fans .. Family Matters the TV series; Steve Urkel Plays poker and loses, he then plays the same guys agian at the end and Urkel says "all i have is 2 pair".. then when the guy goes to scoop the pot.. urkel says "ah ah, 2 pairs of queens"Just thought i'd let u know this was 1991, Maverick came out in 199459. A Pair of Ladiesgs: Keone Young (Yamano) Daniel Faraldo (Ramon) Bob Delegall (Randolph) Malaika (Lisa) Thom Curley (Coach)Rachel reluctantly hires a loudmouthed, pushy Harriette to help at the restaurant; and Urkel bets the ranch on Carl's cutthroat poker game at home with the guys.b: 06-Dec-1991 pc: 446913 w: Fred Fox, Jr. d: John Tracy
Best Post EVER!!!!!!!!!!
No way iveyfan, the sequel all the way.
no, i meant the original oceans 11 with sinatra and the rest of the rat pack...not that crappy remake or the even crappier sequel....
If by the Stu Ungar movie you mean "High Roller" , thats not a poker movie at all, Its about a guy with a drug and gambling addiction. Its about the same percentage of poker that Back to the Future 3 is.Sorry if I've dissapointed anyone who was pumped up for it, but its not very good.
a little exaggerated but it doesnt have a lot of poker. it has 3 or 4 good poker scenes with 2 or 3 GREAT gin scenes. i enjoyed the movie, even though "chrissy" was just playign his role from the sopranos.

ouch...ive never seen the original oceans 11 but I happen to have enjoyed the remake and then oceans 12. Another good quote from oceans 11..."Three Pair" then "All Reds" and he shows a hearts and diamond mix.

I wouldn't call the Big Bling a great movie. Poorly filmed, not all that great. I mean if you are hard up for a poker movie, sure get it, but don't spend too much money on it. Like $5 is about what it is worth.