Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

LACMA today was great. The Ed Moses exhibit was good, the James Purifoy amazing and I need to go back. For dinner we went to a Spanish restaurant. Celebrity sighting: Alejandro Inarritu. Goddamn Birdman, the best movie of last year.

• Like 1

Other wife and I went out to the County fair tonight. It was small and rather boring so we sent to the races for most of the night. Short track races are a blast and we hadn't been in years so was a lot of fun.

The Roman Republic actually handled this quite well, having the elected office of Dictator, which existed for times when the Gauls were on the Rampage, or Hannibal just slaughtered another double consular army. The office was supposed to be for 6 months, at which time the dictator would give the total power back to the state, once the crisis was resolved. It worked for 100's of years, until people figured out that they didn't really have to give back the dictatorial powers, if the army loved them.

For the record, I don't think Ocho needs to be killed for wanting a lush green lawn. A nice shunning would do.

My lawns are green/brown right now, as we can only water 2 days a week. As someone who changed their habits 2 years ago, we are getting screwed when it comes to water cutbacks. We cutback way before it was mandatory. We cut our usage in 2013 by over 40%, they now want a 40-70% reduction from 2013, it's not possible (well, not without not water, showering or anything but basically drinking water).

• Like 1

It rains a good amount in FL. pool is full and lawn is green. It even hinders my golf attempts.

I get wanting a nice lawn though. It looks good.

Kill almond grown. A gallon an almond. Screw that

my former roommate works for Orange County in something kinda related. this is what he told me back in April:

"The city I work for does provide the water utility services so we are responsible for getting a 25% reduction.

My job is in environmental compliance, which generally means if anything is spilled or running into the gutters (everything out here is paved, we don't really have open grassy spaces off the roads like Kansas for runoff to flow into and infiltrate the ground) I get called out to make sure it's not something that's gonna **** up the ocean because it all ends up there through stormwater drain pipes.

The drought was declared official restrictions a few days ago but for the last year we have been on voluntary restrictions and still state of emergency. This is just the latest escalation.

For awhile that means I was getting called on all kinds of irrigation bullshit where neighbors were bitching about the guy down the street that parks in front of their house because his sprinklers had a bit of overspray. While overspray is runoff it's not an environmental issue really so I was able to have our water utility department take over those kinds of calls and complaints.

Once shit hits the news we get hundreds of residents bitching about every little thing they see and suing the city if the sprinkler timers aren't set correctly on every property we own. It's ridiculous.

I don't know how we could get to 25% reduction because we have quite a few industrial users that can't produce without using a lot of water. "

I don't know that that adds any info but I found it interesting.

I have heard similar stories on the news. I just read recently where the Sacramento region led the state in people calling into water agencies to squeal on their neighbors about water use. It is really amazing. With all the news stories and even commercials demanding we conserve water so many people are just sitting in the edge of their seats waiting to throw a fit at the first perceived abuse of water.

My favorite was yesterday. In the town up the road where I grew up the homeless population has exploded between the time we left and came back. Partly because this town is where are the county offices are, which means where the free shit is handed out to those in need.

Well, despite a recently opened homeless shelter, many homeless still camp out on county property right near those services. Yesterday someone posted on Facebook where the homeless had somehow acquired a 4' x 18 ft swimming pool, had set it up in their "camp" and had a garden hose hooked up to one of the buildings filling up said pool.

The post on FB had over 300 comments within hours, many of whom saying they were watering as much as they damned well pleased until that pool is taken away. Others were saying " it's hot outside! Leave those poor underprivileged people alone!"

I am waiting for the news report about the first killing stemming from and argument over someone watering their petunias.

Heh, I wish. Sadly just weird iPad auto correct.

good thing the wife doesn't post here. you'd have some splainin to do.

band of brothers was on sale at target for 19.99. sure i've seen it already, and i could watch it on demand any time, but dammit at that price i had to get it.

planning on calling in sick to work on thursday. can't on monday, too obvious. meetings on tuesday and wednesday. and friday i can't, so it has to be thursday. i just need a day off.

I'm here all week, too. Luckily my boss is out all week and the other manager will be in training a lot. Not that she has any idea what I should be doing anyways. As long as I keep some shit open on my screens I'll be Gucci.

Why do you have meetings on Friday? Isn't it a bank holiday?

Sadly no, the bank is open. And me being the lowest officer, gets last dibs on days off so im covering for three people. But there wont be anything to do, so i dont mind to much.

Eh, if I have to be at work anyway I'd rather have work to do. Sitting around getting paid to do almost nothing sounds good but it's boring as hell and the time just drags.

• Like 1

went to check out the complex my coworker lives at. disgustingly good commute--less than 5 minutes, all back roads. he pays $750, had just re-upped on his lease like a month ago. I asked for the exact same floor plan and they quoted me $1050.

looked at a few other places, similar results. discouraging. gonna talk with a loan officer and start looking through a realtor.

• Like 1

Interesting that rents are doing the same out there than here in Cali. The housing market is heating up but the rental market is just crazy. Houses especially are really hard to find and usually have 15-20 applications within days of being listed. It seems like rentals would suffer as more people buy houses but that doesn't seem to be the reality.

Driving to LA today. Really not where I want to be on a holiday week but on the plus side it's supposed to be 105+ for the next two days at home and 20"degrees cooler in So Cal.