home game dispute - fcp presents: you make the call!

here's the situation:it's head to head.SB is the button.BB is waiting for the SB's action.a third party who was out was dealing for the remaining two.there was lots of talk around the table, more than just the two players, and a stereo was going.the dealer commented to the SB something along the lines of how since the two remaining players were pretty evenly stacked and the blinds were relatively low, the game could take a long time.the SB said to the dealer, conversationally but loudly enough to be heard by the BB, "i'll go all in a lot to mix it up."the BB heard this and reacted, saying immediately, "i call."the SB said he did not mean to go all in and was making conversation with the dealer. instead, he just wanted to call the BB and wait for the BB's preflop action.the BB insisted that the SB had gone all in. i made the call that within the context of a conversation, of which the BB had only heard the key words, "ill go all in" from the SB and tried to call, the SB should not have to commit all of his chips. my rationale was that had the SB turned to a railbird behind the game and made that remark, which is basically the same as saying it to a volunteer dealer, nobody at the table would hold him to that action.the BB says that whenever someone has action on them, they should be bound to their words. the BB heard the SB say "ill go all in," reacted to his words and voice, and therefore, he should be held to his bet of all of his chips.my call left the BB with action to raise or check. in frustration, the BB open folded the big blind, threw their chips and cards at the dealer, and took a break.i know that throwing cards or chips at a dealer would be a penalty. aside from that, what was the right call?

At my B&M, his all in stands.Verbal declarations, intended or otherwise, stand.Otherwise you could say.."I'd like to go all in.." Five second pause. "Call." Two second pause. "..with a better hand than this one"Then where are you?It's a home game, so house rules stand. But, que sera sera.

I don't get it, it's a f*ck*ng homegame. The homegames I play are with friends and some beers. In a b&m i would have been a bi-atch about it, but something like that happens in homegames. Don't make to much fuss about it and play on. I don't think the pricepool exeeded a couple of hundred dollars so why let you ruin your night for a few bucks.Of course it's not your fault something like this happens, but just make sure everyone who attends your homegame knows that it is for fun and not to pay the rent.For what it's worth,Jan

same sort of argument at a home game we had. Heads up player 1 raised to 4k, blinds 500 and 1000. The person who was dealing said to player 2 its up to u , player 2 replied " yeah" maybe a 2 second pause" im all in. " player 1s argument was that when player 2 said "yeah "that was a call and he cannot raise . In the it was agreed that he made a verbal call by saying yeah to the raise . is that the ruling ?

same sort of argument at a home game we had. Heads up player 1 raised to 4k, blinds 500 and 1000. The person who was dealing said to player 2 its up to u , player 2 replied " yeah" maybe a 2 second pause" im all in. " player 1s argument was that when player 2 said "yeah "that was a call and he cannot raise . In the it was agreed that he made a verbal call by saying yeah to the raise . is that the ruling ?
WOW?So in your game yeah is equivalent to a call???? Can I play? I HOPE THE ANSWER IS YEAAAH!!!!

WOW?So in your game yeah is equivalent to a call???? Can I play? I HOPE THE ANSWER IS YEAAAH!!!!HAhahahahaa that is so funny , have to find more of your posts to see if u r this funny all the time

WOW?So in your game yeah is equivalent to a call???? Can I play? I HOPE THE ANSWER IS YEAAAH!!!!
HAhahahahaa that is so funny , have to find more of your posts to see if u r this funny all the time
Maybe you should quit at 18 so we don't have to read your mindless drivel? :club: Just kidding. Felt a crazy need to flame. You know how it is.
HAhahahahaa that is so funny ' date=' have to find more of your posts to see if u r this funny all the time[/quote']I was serious.
Player 2 is answering a question posed by the dealer, how can that be taken as a verbal "call".What if you're playing at a b&m and a waitress asks you if you want a drink while the action is on you. If you turn around and say "yeah", is that a call???

When acting as the Floorman, your primary concern should be the best interest of the game. In this instance I believe your decision is %100 correct.Why ? 1...The meaning of the players comment to the dealer was seen the same by all except for the BB who stood to benefit.2...Having an inadvertant all in decide a heads up match is almost as bad as a f-bomb penealty heads up in an Omaha event at the WSOP.3...By allowing the SB to call, the BB loses no action or position.4...I understand this is a home game, but you must, absent of any other evidence, reley on the Dealer's input.5...This is a Home Game, did the BB think he could get a Full Tilt Sponsership by winning ? Anyway...good call.

My advice.Wait until the Big Blind blows up ala Matisow (therefore losing all his money), kick the crap out of him like we would all like to do to Matisow, pretending he is Matisow. As he limps out of the house, invite him back for the next game and if he is the degenerate gambler he sounds like, he will be back to lose again.Kinda like the cloutier story where someone got pissed, pulled a gun and took all the money and they all asked if this meant he wasn't gonna play with them anymore saying he was welcome next time around....

To avoid situations like this it s helpful for all the players to know the rules. Knowing the rules generally constitutes behavior that reflects their knowledge of the rules. Point being, the SB should have known by saying the words "I'm all in" it can be taken as a declaration by a lot of people and should know better than to even say it in the first place.We have this come up in our cardrooms all the time with people trying to be funny etc with calling out of turn and such trying to provoke a reaction from people (ex: someone says raise and has yet to declare the amount and three seats away says call and starts to laugh - the player then moves all in and we force the out of turn player to make the call - they usually argue they were only joking, but if you let this go, then you have to let everything go) - the rules are rules, homegame or not - it was an all in as far as I'm concerned.It sfunny how people seperate home games from B&M games - the rules shouldn't change just becasue your friends are idiots.

That was the most accurate, sincere and well thought out statement I've ever heard from a man with "Pot" in his name. :shock: :clap: Hit it on the nose Dragon.That guy sounds like a Tard to me. What a pathetic way to try and eek out a win in a damn home game. I'd fart on him out of principle alone.

To avoid situations like this it s helpful for all the players to know the rules. Knowing the rules generally constitutes behavior that reflects their knowledge of the rules. Point being, the SB should have known by saying the words "I'm all in" it can be taken as a declaration by a lot of people and should know better than to even say it in the first place.
The thing is, he didn't say "I'm all in". He said "I'll go all in a lot...". Future tense, not present. BB is a douche for acting the way he did. SB should maybe be warned to watch what he says, but you made the right decision IMO.Yeah is not a call. It's an affirmative answer or an acknowledgement. In this case thge latter. A verbal call is binding, but he never said he was calling, and he never moved his chips. How can you argue he called?I dont tolerate string or out of turn action in the home games I play in, but this is ridiculous.

Wow, you guys have some strict home games. I think you made the right call by not making him go all in. It's not his fault the other guy didn't hear all of what he said. And the other thing about the guy saying "yeah" is even worse. He was just answering someone. How can that be a call? People need to ease up on the rules at home games. It's for fun!

If I had been presented with this delicate situation in a home game envoiornment I'd have taken the following steps.Firstly I'd have donned my cerminoal arbiters garb consisting of a red crushed velvet tuxedo and a large sombrero.Then I'd get a cheap aluminum baseball bat. I prefer 30 ounce, but that's just me.Then I'd engage BB in a long prolonged conversation about how homegames are a team sport and how he needs to be part of a team and not just bat the live long day like Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth and so on.Then I'd quickly cave in the side of his skull with the bat.good luck.I'm kidding of course. 30 once is wayyy to light.

i see people's points about it just being a home game, etc. but by the same token if people have money on the table, you gotta be fair no matter where the game is being held. except prison.let's add to the story.the BB was my on-again off-again gf. she lives there too and co hosts the game with me.the SB was my neighbor. a good guy, not looking to shoot any angles. bad timing on what he said.i was the dealer.so, what we typically do is settle disputes ourselves after discussing it. frankly, none have ever really come up before that were even worth discussing and i know a lot more about the rules than her anyway.i basically said to her, "look, i know we usually try to both agree on the rules, but in this case i'm already busted out, i'm dealing, and you stand to benefit directly if you make him go all in when i know he didn't mean to. i can't cave in on this just because you live here and we're dating or the whole game suffers. i'd make the same call if it was the other way around and you slipped up and said you'd be all in a lot, or if the BB was god, my mom, or anybody. fair's fair." she still just didn't take it that well, obviously. she also demanded a misdeal, which was also not the right call since the cards had neither been exposed nor dealt to the wrong players.even though one of the rules of poker is verbal declarations are binding, another one of the rules--which is an overriding rule--is that a call has to be made in the best interests of fairness and game integrity. in this case, i couldn't see where a sideways comment to me should be binding, even though the action was on the SB.btw, they held: SB 9c-10c; BB 4s-4h. mathematically, she was about a 2-3% dog. she ultimately lost in heads up play and got 2nd in the tournament. i did not get laid, but dammit, i think i made the right call.

Any home game that has a serious rule dispute sucks. Smoke some weed or something to calm yourselves down. I'm hating all the pop culture exposure to poker more and more these days. Call me old...but back in college (graduated 03) we would play poker all the time, and be one of the only games around...non-stop beer, weed, and fishy freshmen donating money. These days if a freshman comes into a game he probably asks about the blind structure and pulls out his copy of Theory of Poker.

player 1s argument was that when player 2 said "yeah "that was a call and he cannot raise
This is now the dumbest thing I have ever heard.