El Guapo & Randy Reed's Cooking Thread

any style you want if you dice the chicken or cut in to strips it cooks quickly in a skillet.I like to make instant brown rice, cut chicken in small pieces fry it up in some olive oil, add a small amount of teryiaki basting sauce (it's thicker and takes less as it thins when you put the heat on it) add some frozen brocolli and serve it over the rice when done. You can make this meal in like 15 min and it tastes awesome IMO

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's the best way to microwave frozen chicken nuggets?

in a deep fryer.

Hey, Dutch. I’ve got nothing to add. Just saw you posted last and I always enjoy your posts. I’m in the process of buying a house and it has a gas range. Pretty stoked about it.

Okay this got me yesterday and I can't quit thinking about it you bastard. Originally I was having company and going to do EG's steak and shrimp Mexican Fiesta but they can't come now. I'm heading off to the market praying they have a pork shoulder roast. I'm going to do this in the Dutch oven and with a twist add some Great Northern Beans at the end which may or may not work, but I'll let you know.
How'd it turn out RR?
On Friday night I made a Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin that was fantastic.
Gonna try it. Looks good.
Artichokes. This was the first dish I fixed for Deb at her place and most likely led to marraige.2 or 3 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts split.2 cans of artichoke hearts1 lb fresh mushrooms1 12 can of chicken brothsherry1 tspn of rosemaryPasta. I like using bowtie pasta for this. It adds a fancier lookand they actually help catch up the gravy.I make alot of different variations of this but this is the basics.Lightly brown the chicken breasts in the skillet a few minutes per side.Saute the shrooms in the skillet afterward.Add the chicken breasts to a large baking dish.Add the shrooms.Add the artichoke hearts nestled in between the chicken.Add the chicken brothAdd about 1 cup of sherry and sprinkle with dried rosemary.Cover and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes.Serve over pasta. The blending of the rosemary, sherry and artichokes gives this an amazing flavor and it's easy to make and fancy enough to impress people.
Ditto.
I just had a delicious light lunch: a really simple bruschetta. Variations: * Fresh, good quality mozzarella cheese goes great with these flavours. I'm talking real buffalo mozz, not that cheap plasticky stuff you get in the cheese aisle of the supermarket. * You can drizzle the bread with nice EVOO for a little extra flavour.* You can use any kind of pesto if you don't want to do the basil. * If you're not worried about your breath, a sprinkle of finely minced red onion and/or a smidgen of pureed/minced garlic mixed in with the tomatoes is great.In conclusion: It was delicious and all my burps taste like yummy basil now.
Congrats on the burps. Hope you blew them in Strats face. Chopped galic is a must IMO.
How'd it turn out RR?
I forgot to tell you about it. It was friggin awesome. I was thinking originally about a pork roastand adding the beans but after getting to the store and seeing the pork shoulder roast I realizedI was thinking of the wrong thing and just got it and did your recipe with the exception of letting it cook for a long time in my dutch oven.I ate that shit all week for lunch and dinner as well. Definately a do over and my daughter in lawis already asking for me to do it again.
any style you want if you dice the chicken or cut in to strips it cooks quickly in a skillet.I like to make instant brown rice, cut chicken in small pieces fry it up in some olive oil, add a small amount of teryiaki basting sauce (it's thicker and takes less as it thins when you put the heat on it) add some frozen brocolli and serve it over the rice when done. You can make this meal in like 15 min and it tastes awesome IMO
Cool, thanks rvr. :club: I'm going to cook that tomorrow night.

Today I have to work out the Thanksgiving menu since we decided to host it this year. So far this is what I have planned...Roast Turkey Breast ( I plan to use a turkey pastrami brine and I don't care if it tastes good because I don't like turkey)Pork Tenderloin with a Port ReductionRoasted Yukon Gold Potatoes and ShallotsRoasted Parmesan Asparagus (my wife's contribution)Canned Cranberry Jelly shaped like the aluminum can it came in (at my wife's insistence)Stuffing that I have yet to decide on. My wife looooves Stove Top Stuffing in a box but I want to try some type of sausage stuffing...Pumpkin Bread (my mom's contribution)Shrimp of some kind (my mother in laws contribution)Rolls of some sort (my mom's contribution)Green Beans w/ bacon and balsamicPumpkin Spiced Souffle's. Giving that a test run this weekend to see if it will work out. Fingers crossed.

I am very interested in Thanksgiving food, as it is very different from the typical holiday fare people have in England. For us, a holiday meal (Christmas) is a roast dinner: we have the roasted bird same as you guys, but we have brown gravy for sauce, and our potatoes are roasted as opposed to mashed. I see that Steve roasts his potatoes which is cool, I got my observation from friends I have spoken to here so maybe it's not a good sample. Anyway, for sides we will have some boiled vegetables like broccoli and brussel sprouts, but it is also popular to have roasted carrots and/or parsnips, which I love.I recommend to you all to try my roasted carrots and parsnips sometime:1. Preheat oven to about 400F, and take a knob of butter out of the fridge to soften.2. Peel the carrots and parsnips and cut them into sticks - quarter the narrow end, cut the thicker end into 6 or 8 sticks.3. Boil them until just cooked and tender, drain.4. Make a bowl/tray out of tin foil atop an actual baking tray.5. Mix the cooked veg with the knob of butter, sprinkle with some dried mixed herbs, season with salt and pepper, drizzle lightly with honey, and mix it till all the sticks are coated.6. Stick it in the oven for about half an hour, stirring at 10 minute intervals. Depending on how much you make etc it may take longer/less time so keep an eye on it.They are sweet, tender and delicious, a perfect accompaniment for a savoury dinner.

I am very interested in Thanksgiving food, as it is very different from the typical holiday fare people have in England. For us, a holiday meal (Christmas) is a roast dinner: we have the roasted bird same as you guys, but we have brown gravy for sauce, and our potatoes are roasted as opposed to mashed. I see that Steve roasts his potatoes which is cool, I got my observation from friends I have spoken to here so maybe it's not a good sample. Anyway, for sides we will have some boiled vegetables like broccoli and brussel sprouts, but it is also popular to have roasted carrots and/or parsnips, which I love.I recommend to you all to try my roasted carrots and parsnips sometime:1. Preheat oven to about 400F, and take a knob of butter out of the fridge to soften.2. Peel the carrots and parsnips and cut them into sticks - quarter the narrow end, cut the thicker end into 6 or 8 sticks.3. Boil them until just cooked and tender, drain.4. Make a bowl/tray out of tin foil atop an actual baking tray.5. Mix the cooked veg with the knob of butter, sprinkle with some dried mixed herbs, season with salt and pepper, drizzle lightly with honey, and mix it till all the sticks are coated.6. Stick it in the oven for about half an hour, stirring at 10 minute intervals. Depending on how much you make etc it may take longer/less time so keep an eye on it.They are sweet, tender and delicious, a perfect accompaniment for a savoury dinner.
I promise I am not being a smart ass with the following questions:What is a knob of butter?And do you mean to julienne the carrots and parsnips?

The favourite sidedish i made when I hosted christmas last year was a very simple roasted root vegetables.I had beets, carrots, fingerling potatoes, celeriac (celery root), parsnips, rutebaga, onions, garlic, shallots. A very rough chop, coat with olive oil, pepper and salt and roast at about 450 for an hour or so.Fantastic.

I have a new fav I'll share with you. This is the tofu (vegetarian) version, but I suspect chicken would work pretty good...1 16 oz package of Tofu (cut into bite sized cubes, about 1/2 inch)1 med zucchini (cubed to 1/2 inch)1 red pepper (strips or chunks, as above)1 or 2 tbsp of chili paste or chilis in oil, enough to make your eyes water when they heat up...Ginger, cut into coins. Use lots, if you like ginger or just a few slices if you don't1 can of coconut milk3 tbsp of lime juice (fresh squeezed is best)2 tbsp tamari (Japanese soy sauce, like Kikkoman, is best)(Whisk the above three ingredients in a bowl)2 tbsp peanut oil (or similar cooking oil, like canola)Heat large skillet to med-high. Non-stick is best, as it will reduce the amount of oil required. Heat oil and brown the tofu until golden. Remove from skillet.Put chili oil and ginger in skillet and stir fry for about a minute. Put in veggies and stir fry for another minute or two. Add tofu and stir fry for one more minute. Then add the coconut/lime/tamari liquid. Once the liquid begins to bubble, reduce to medium heat (or a little less,depending on your burner strength) and simmer until veggies are tender.Remove from heat and serve over whatever kind of rice you like. I use basmati, but Thai or Japanese sticky rice would probably be pretty good.This recipe is EASY PEASEY and adjustable to taste. For example, you can add more lime juice for more tartness and/or more chili for more heat. For extra heat, you can use real peppers, like Jalapeno, when you stir fry the veggies. Just be careful! Not everyone likes their mouth to be seared, but the coconut milk will help reduce injury...

I promise I am not being a smart ass with the following questions:What is a knob of butter?And do you mean to julienne the carrots and parsnips?
A knob of butter is bigger than a pat. It's about a tablespoon/25g/1oz. Doesn't need to be an exact measurement which is why I didn't give one.Not julienne, julienne usually means a thin stick. I am talking nice chunky sticks. Like I said, quarter the narrow end and 6th or 8ths of the thick end depending on how big it is.
Today I have to work out the Thanksgiving menu since we decided to host it this year. So far this is what I have planned...Roast Turkey Breast ( I plan to use a turkey pastrami brine and I don't care if it tastes good because I don't like turkey)Pork Tenderloin with a Port ReductionRoasted Yukon Gold Potatoes and ShallotsRoasted Parmesan Asparagus (my wife's contribution)Canned Cranberry Jelly shaped like the aluminum can it came in (at my wife's insistence)Stuffing that I have yet to decide on. My wife looooves Stove Top Stuffing in a box but I want to try some type of sausage stuffing...Pumpkin Bread (my mom's contribution)Shrimp of some kind (my mother in laws contribution)Rolls of some sort (my mom's contribution)Green Beans w/ bacon and balsamicPumpkin Spiced Souffle's. Giving that a test run this weekend to see if it will work out. Fingers crossed.
If I came for TDay to your house and the only turkey was Pastrami flavored I'd kill you. Don't even do stovetop stuffing either, make some homemade, it's easy.
Most people will do mashed on Thanksgiving since it goes well with the gravy but alot of people do a variety of roasted or scalloped as well.sweet potatos and cranberry sauce of somekind often figure into the equation. Green beans are probably the most popular veggie for Tday and alot of people make a green bean casserole with Campbell's mushroom soupand a can of french fried onions. I am making my own version this year only all homemade.I've never had fennel or parsnips for some reason, just not popular in my area but I was planning on making a carrot fennel side dish that I saw Alton Brown make. I think I will just change it and do yours since it's likely to be alot better since fennel is a stronger taste.
If I came for TDay to your house and the only turkey was Pastrami flavored I'd kill you. Don't even do stovetop stuffing either, make some homemade, it's easy.
HahhahahahaI was thinking the same thing.

toaster oven, convection toaster oven, infrawave speed oven. anyone doing cooking with these have a moment to weigh in with their thoughts? teal & i are thinking about a new one. do any of these not get hot on the outside, ie insulated better?

A knob of butter is bigger than a pat. It's about a tablespoon/25g/1oz. Doesn't need to be an exact measurement which is why I didn't give one.Not julienne, julienne usually means a thin stick. I am talking nice chunky sticks. Like I said, quarter the narrow end and 6th or 8ths of the thick end depending on how big it is.
What kind of herbs do you suggest on this? I pretty much have anything, lol. I'm thinking a little rosemary and thyme?
What kind of herbs do you suggest on this? I pretty much have anything, lol. I'm thinking a little rosemary and thyme?
When I said dried mixed herbs that was what I meant. I always have a jar of mixed herbs, normally includes Thyme, Marjoram, Parsley, Oregano, Sage, and Basil. If you can't find a mix like that then I would say some combination of thyme, marjoram and sage would work, two or three of those.
When I said dried mixed herbs that was what I meant. I always have a jar of mixed herbs, normally includes Thyme, Marjoram, Parsley, Oregano, Sage, and Basil. If you can't find a mix like that then I would say some combination of thyme, marjoram and sage would work, two or three of those.
sweet, LG contributes to the Thanksgiving dinner! I actually had to go to a specialty market I frequent to find parsinps but I'm anxious to try them along with the carrots. herbs and honey, sounds delish.It's funny, but when i'm typing i'm saying it in my head with an English accent since the most recent books i've listening to on audio are all british or skottish and i'm getting quite fond of the lanquage, lol.
I started getting the turkey ready today.
I am going to make my offering on Wednesday. I'm having Thanksgiving with my bf and his family, and it will be easier on his mum if I bring my own main dish. I will be making one of my favourite foods, something I normally have just a few times a year, including Christmas. It is a nut roast, made of ground nuts, breadcrumbs, and lots of seasoning and flavourings including MARMITE. I will also be making vegetarian gravy to go with it, again with Marmite. They are both relatively easy and not too time-consuming, so if anyone needs to provide for a vegetarian for a special dinner sometime I'll be happy to provide recipes.