El Guapo & Randy Reed's Cooking Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's the best way to microwave frozen chicken nuggets?

in a deep fryer.

Hey, Dutch. I’ve got nothing to add. Just saw you posted last and I always enjoy your posts. I’m in the process of buying a house and it has a gas range. Pretty stoked about it.

Which would you prefer Trout, Halibut or Salmon?
be specific on the piece of fish used in your recipe, or i'll buy the wrong one tomorrow.
(i've assumed salmon so far in my rummaging through recipe sites, but unless one has a massively unexpected flavour to it, i'll give it a shot. i'm okay with failing again with fish if i learn from it.)

Yesterday I made some delicious and easy quesadillas. I used 'soft taco' tortilla wraps to make them small so I could eat one at a time without them getting cold. I cooked some vegetarian 'taco mix' made from TVP, you could use cooked seasoned ground beef though, or pieces of chicken etc. I mixed some cooked corn and green pepper into the mince to add extra flavour, texture, and vitamins. Then I heated the tortilla on one side, flipped it and lowered the heat (important to avoid burning), and put grated cheese on half. I spooned some of the mince and veg mix on top, and then sprinkled a little more cheese on top of that. Folded over the tortilla, and cooked on both sides until crispy. I had it with just some lettuce on the side, and if I had tomatoes I would have included tomato in them or on the side also.

(i've assumed salmon so far in my rummaging through recipe sites, but unless one has a massively unexpected flavour to it, i'll give it a shot. i'm okay with failing again with fish if i learn from it.)
I don't think there's much of anything better than a skinless salmon fillet, coated fairly heavily in cajun spices, then pan seared on medium high heat in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil until crispy on both sides (bout, what, 4 minutes a side?). just make sure you have an exhaust fan or else your entire house will smell like a homeless woman from new orleans' vag in mid august.
I don't think there's much of anything better than a skinless salmon fillet, coated fairly heavily in cajun spices, then pan seared on medium high heat in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil until crispy on both sides (bout, what, 4 minutes a side?). just make sure you have an exhaust fan or else your entire house will smell like a homeless woman from new orleans' vag in mid august.
This is the way I enjoy salmon (you need to find a better fish monger if that's how your salmon smells)For Halibut I would get some steaks and coat in salt, pepper, olive oil and make a lemon aoli.For the aoli2 egg yolksjuice of a lemonlemon zest~ cup of olive oilFinely chopped shallot and garlic clovesaltpeppercayannetarragon (fresh) or rsoemary or sage if you prefer those flavors instead.Combine all the above ingrediants into a food processor (except the olive oil) blend. Kepp blending and slowly drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil (you are making a fancy mayonaise)Sear both sides of the Halibut for a minute, then put the halibut into tinfoil and coat the fish with the aoili bake for about 10 minutes depending on thickness at 450degreees.---------For trout, I like whole trout ( head on or off doesn't really matter) if you are not comfortable doing the cleaning your self ask the fish monger or meat counter guy to take of the head, clean and scale the fish.Butterfly the fish (something like this; minus the roe:)trout_for_the_oven.jpgSqueeze lemon and put in some sprigs of thyme in between the filets.Pan fry on high heat in oil on each side for about 4-5 minutes.Hope this helps.

Good fish sandwichfilet of sole dip in mixture of2 egg whites1 tsp corn starchjuice from one lemonbread with white corn mealfry in skillet until flakyRye bread and tartar sauce.Fancier still easy 2 ruby red trout filets.Use the same dipping mixture except dust in flour and let sit to set.Saute 1 container of fresh mushrooms in skillet adding a little butter and olive oil.The mushrooms should absorb the liquid in the skillet until it's pretty dry.Add the fish and fry until lightly browned in small amount of olive oil.Add the following to the skillet-4 oz butter1/2 cup white winejuice from 2 lemons.2 cloves of garlic minced1/2 tsp of dried thyme (optional)1 tablspoon of capers (mandatory!)Side note- I also like to take some small diced bread cubes and put them in the oven for about 10 minutes to make some croutons while i'm cooking.Plate by adding some croutons on top of the fish followed by the sauce

kitchen bouqet
What's this?
Saute a large onion and some diced carrots
About how many carrots worth?
I add a container of thick sliced mushrooms here but you could use a couple cans or jars of the whole small button mushrooms as well.
Will baby portabellos work?
Add a small pinch of ground cloves.
How necessary is this?
some red potatos and add to the stew.
Can I get an estimate as to how many?Yes, I'm making this tomorrow.
What's this?About how many carrots worth?Will baby portabellos work?How necessary is this?Can I get an estimate as to how many?Yes, I'm making this tomorrow.
On the oranges, make 3 strips about 1 inch wide and remove as much of the pithy white part as possible. If you don't tie all the herbs up or anything you'llhave to fish around to remove them. Start looking for them about an hour into cooking and remove them as you find them. They are for flavor you don't want to eat them.KItchen Boquet is not necessary, (it's a browning sauce that I always use on a roast, rub it in before browning). Just flour the beef cubes and brown.About 1 cup of sliced carrots. I usually buy a container of steak sliced white mushrooms but use whatever. Portabellas would be good and add what you want, about 8 0z I guess.I suppose you could omit the cloves without messing with it to much and some peeps don't like cloves so it's no biggie. I add it to offset the flavor of the orange and add another layer of flavor. I wouldn't waste money if you don't have it. If you do just use a pinch or 1/8 of teaspoon.You can use white potatos like Yukon Gold or red potatos. I guess about 3 cups worth either way, or about 5 medium sized red potatos quartered or even smaller sections.I'm curious to see how this goes. PM or call me if you have other questions. It's the best beef stew period.
I JUST MADE MASHED POTATOES FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They are 100% awesome and delicious and I never realized how easy it was.Here's what I did for the other young guys who need to be educated:1. Grabbed a pot and put cold water into it.2. Washed and cut up 3 potatoes into about 2inch cube chunks (just cut it down the middle and then across 3 times)3. Put the potatoes in the water and then put the burner on high until the water boiled4. Once the water started boiling, I put the heat on medium-low and then covered the pot (left a little crack open for the steam to escape)5. After 10 minutes, I started poking the boiling potatoes with a fork. If the potato chunk sticks to your fork, then they aren't done. If they don't stick, then they are done.6. Drain all the water from the potatoes and dump them into a big bowl7. Then I used like... half a stick of butter (4 tablespoons I think) and a 1/3 of a container of sour cream... dump all that crap into the big bowl with the potatoes8. Take your fork and mash the shit out of them until desired consistency9. Add some shreadded cheese, bacon, or horseradish ( I like the creamy stuff like from Arby's) to add some additional flavorSomeone PLEASE give me some simple advice. I have a bunch of raw chicken drumsticks that I bought from the store. I, also, have a bottle of Sweeeet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce (delicious). I concur SBR is one of the best and usually is on sale.
OK boys, made a pork shoulder last night in the crock pot. Fucking fabulous.Bought a 6 pound bone in ( bone-in is always best AMIRITE?) pork should from the butcher and at $2.89/lb works for me.I make a dry rub of:onion powdercayennesmoked paprikabrown sugardry mustardLawrys seasoned saltMcCormick garlic saltTony Chachere's creole seasoningI mix it in a bowl and apply it to the meat and let rest for an hour.Meanwhile I chopped 2 white sweet onions and sauteed with some olive oil. Dumped the onions in the crock pot with some apple cider vinegar and worcestershire sauce..about equal parts.Took the meat out and browned all sides in a pan with some olive oil.Then put the meat in the crock pot and 6 hours later I had some GOOD eating.Tips: I always brown the meat before I put it in the crock pot for flavor Make sure the meat will fit in the crock pot. I have an oblong shaped one, compared to a soup pot shaped one, and it works nicely. It also has a timer.

I've tried quite a few salmon recipes, but never found one I was happy with other than one for cooking on a grill. Sometimes, grilling just isn't practical though. I finally found one for the oven that I like and it's the simplest one I've ever tried. I guess Ramsey has a point about simple food.6 T Olive oil1 t salt1 t basil1 t pepper1 T lemon juice1 T parsley1 t garlic powderMarinate the fish in the mixture for an hour turning occasionally. Then place fish and marinade in foil wrap and bake at 375 for 30 to 45 minutes.

I'm not a big fan of "celebrity chef" spice mixes, but for salmon I've found that paul prudhomme's seafood magic is better than anything I've been able to concoct.I just bake it in foil with some olive oil and lemon and a generous amount of the seasoning and a lil salt.

I'm not a big fan of "celebrity chef" spice mixes, but for salmon I've found that paul prudhomme's seafood magic is better than anything I've been able to concoct.I just bake it in foil with some olive oil and lemon and a generous amount of the seasoning and a lil salt.
Oh man, that sounds delicious.
OK boys, made a pork shoulder last night in the crock pot. Fucking fabulous.Bought a 6 pound bone in ( bone-in is always best AMIRITE?) pork should from the butcher and at $2.89/lb works for me.I make a dry rub of:onion powdercayennesmoked paprikabrown sugardry mustardLawrys seasoned saltMcCormick garlic saltTony Chachere's creole seasoningI mix it in a bowl and apply it to the meat and let rest for an hour.Meanwhile I chopped 2 white sweet onions and sauteed with some olive oil. Dumped the onions in the crock pot with some apple cider vinegar and worcestershire sauce..about equal parts.Took the meat out and browned all sides in a pan with some olive oil.Then put the meat in the crock pot and 6 hours later I had some GOOD eating.Tips: I always brown the meat before I put it in the crock pot for flavor Make sure the meat will fit in the crock pot. I have an oblong shaped one, compared to a soup pot shaped one, and it works nicely. It also has a timer.
Okay this got me yesterday and I can't quit thinking about it you bastard. Originally I was having company and going to do EG's steak and shrimp Mexican Fiesta but they can't come now. I'm heading off to the market praying they have a pork shoulder roast. I'm going to do this in the Dutch oven and with a twist add some Great Northern Beans at the end which may or may not work, but I'll let you know. I've just done a ton of beef and chicken lately and this sounds like a great Sunday meal and different.Lefty, we salute you!

On Friday night I made a Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin that was fantastic.I got 2 1+ lb tenderloins, I put some kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper on the tenderloins with a sprinkle of Chili powder.I then took some honey, rice wine vinegar white pepper, reg pepper, turmeric and saffron and mixed it together until the consistency coated a spoon. (about a half a cup) I poured that all over the pork in a ceramic baking dish and rolled them around in it, until they were coated.I let that sit for about 15 minutes, then I wrapped each piece in 3-4 pieces of thick cut bacon. I baked on 375 for about 30-45 minutes.It was served with artichokes and long grain wild rice.Easily in my top 5 pork tenderloins ever made.

Artichokes. This was the first dish I fixed for Deb at her place and most likely led to marraige.2 or 3 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts split.2 cans of artichoke hearts1 lb fresh mushrooms1 12 can of chicken brothsherry1 tspn of rosemaryPasta. I like using bowtie pasta for this. It adds a fancier lookand they actually help catch up the gravy.I make alot of different variations of this but this is the basics.Lightly brown the chicken breasts in the skillet a few minutes per side.Saute the shrooms in the skillet afterward.Add the chicken breasts to a large baking dish.Add the shrooms.Add the artichoke hearts nestled in between the chicken.Add the chicken brothAdd about 1 cup of sherry and sprinkle with dried rosemary.Cover and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes.Serve over pasta. The blending of the rosemary, sherry and artichokes gives this an amazing flavor and it's easy to make and fancy enough to impress people.

I just had a delicious light lunch: a really simple bruschetta. Most of you probably have done this, because it is easy and slightly fancy, but I felt like typing it up anyway. Girls tend to love it, and in a smaller portion it makes a great, quick appetiser especially for a dinner party or a date.Ingredients:1 crusty bread roll from the bakery section of the supermarket (or you could get one of those part-baked ones and bake it yourself)2 or 3 reallllllly beautiful, fresh tomatoes. Doesn't matter what kinda (standard, plum, grape...) as long as they are gorgeous and ripe. Don't refrigerate them.Fresh, chopped basil leaves, or if unavailable, get one of those tubes of chopped basil (I used the tube basil today and it did a good job)Balsamic vinegar, salt and pepperInstructions:It couldn't be simpler. Turn the oven onto 350F. Halve the roll and put it on a baking tray, face down, then put it in the oven while you prep the rest. Deseed and chop the tomatoes into fairly even, small/medium chunks. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with salt and pepper to let the flavours merge a little. Check the bread roll, and when it is crisp, hot, and just starting to toast take it out of the open. Spread with the basil. Then just divide the tomato mix between the two halves, and eat it like an open face sandwich (or if that is too messy, resort to knife and forking it).Variations: * Fresh, good quality mozzarella cheese goes great with these flavours. I'm talking real buffalo mozz, not that cheap plasticky stuff you get in the cheese aisle of the supermarket. * You can drizzle the bread with nice EVOO for a little extra flavour.* You can use any kind of pesto if you don't want to do the basil. * If you're not worried about your breath, a sprinkle of finely minced red onion and/or a smidgen of pureed/minced garlic mixed in with the tomatoes is great.In conclusion: It was delicious and all my burps taste like yummy basil now.

hey guys, what's a good recipe for a quick chicken dinner? I'm pretty busy during the day and I don't have much time to cook. thanks!
I forgot almost everything I've ever know looking at the chick in your signature.