El Guapo & Randy Reed's Cooking Thread

anybody have any good indian (dot not feather) recipes?
I have tried so many times to make an authentic tasting Indian curry, but it never tastes like what you get in a restaurant. I think it's because I never invest in getting ghee, the clarified butter used in real Indian cooking. If you find a good recipe then let me know, but really I think it's best left to professionals.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's the best way to microwave frozen chicken nuggets?

in a deep fryer.

Hey, Dutch. I’ve got nothing to add. Just saw you posted last and I always enjoy your posts. I’m in the process of buying a house and it has a gas range. Pretty stoked about it.

Wait...seriously seriously? Because that sounds like it might be amazing.
...as a heart attack. I am going to make it very soon.
I request... Mole! ( as in Mo-lay, not the rodent)
Me likey mole mucho
I was under the impression that ElG was all riled up, and the idea entertained me so much that I decided to drive him into more and more ridiculous arguments for my own amusement.
Strat...I pray for you every day.
anybody have any good indian (dot not feather) recipes?
My buddy's mom makes this...it's phenomenal when done right. It's called turkey kima.1lb ground turkey (it is best to buy the 7% fat turkey)2 medium onions chopped2 tomatoes choppedginger garlic paste 1 heaped teaspoon or you can use equal parts of garlic powder and ginger powderchili powder or ground cayene red pepper 1 1/2 tsp or to taste (I use 1 tsp cayenne and 1/2 tsp chili)2 tsp coriander powder 1/2 tsp turmeric2 tsp salt6 oz frozen peashandfull cilantro chopped1 tsp garam masala (buy premade or powder 2 cinnamon sticks, 6 cloves, 7 cardamon, 3/4 tsp fenel seeds (fenel seeds are optional)) In a skillet add the turkey and 2 cups water and cook till the turkey changes color to pale brown. Drain water completely and keep turkey aside. Add about 1/4 cup oil to skillet and saute onions until transparent. Add turmeric 1/2 tsp, add ginger garlic and saute for a minute. Next add tomatoes and cook until they soften, add chili powder, coriander powder, salt, turkey, and peas. Cover and let to simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes. The turkey browns a little. Add the cilantro and 1 tsp garam masala. It can be eaten with Indian bread or just plain flour tortillas. Heat them up in the oven or microwave and rip off small pieces, using the bread as a utensil to pick up the kima.
It can be eaten with Indian bread or just plain flour tortillas. Heat them up in the oven or microwave and rip off small pieces, using the bread as a utensil to pick up the kima.
We call naan bread 'nom bread'. Nom nom nom nom nom.9fv9d0.gif
We call naan bread 'nom bread'. Nom nom nom nom nom.9fv9d0.gif
Love it.
well that sounds pretty good. any idea what kind of oil?
I always use extra virgin olive oil...but that's just because it's all I have. It's always worked fine for me.
any good leftover turkey recipes?
I have a great one.2 slices of Martin's Potato Bread1 knife full of mayosalt and pepper to tasteYou take out both pieces of bread spreading mayo on one piece. Place plenty of turkey on other piece of bread. Add salt and pepper. Place mayo piece of bread mayo side down on top of turkey. Oh be sure to eat some COLD stuffing on the side.
I LOVE mashed potatoes, make them all the time. If you want PERFECT mashed every time, get one of these:41HMXNFBPFL.jpgIt's a potato ricer and makes the best mashed. It always give you perfect consistency without over mashing the spuds. If you overmash them, the tend to get sticky or gummy...
I agree on the ricer. Once you boil the potatos let them dry a bit before running it through the gadget. Also you pretty much have to peel the potatos with this or it gets all stuck up. Add the cream and butter afterwards and they turn out great.Edit- I've also used a food processer in this way as well.
I agree on the ricer. Once you boil the potatos let them dry a bit before running it through the gadget. Also you pretty much have to peel the potatos with this or it gets all stuck up. Add the cream and butter afterwards and they turn out great.Edit- I've also used a food processer in this way as well.
I only use yukon gold potatoes....i boil them in their skin (better for nutrients and taste, although I'm sure i'll catch hell from LG for commenting on a vegetable).I then peel them before I run them through the ricer.
I always use extra virgin olive oil...but that's just because it's all I have. It's always worked fine for me.
You're not really supposed to cook with extra virgin olive oil, because it's very high quality and cooking it impairs the flavour. You can use it of course, and it serves its purpose as an oil, but it won't taste any better than if you used normal olive oil and it tends to be more expensive, so you ought to just use it in cold dishes.

I actually have a little Mexican background as well. My dad had re-married a Mexican lady years ago and they owned a Mex Rest. I became close with the family and learned alot.One of my kids favorites is a simple twist I do with burritos. Take a couple tablespoons of flour and brown it in a dry skillet. Watch it so it turns brown but doesn't burn and then set aside.The amounts here can be adjusted depending on much you want to make.2 cans chicken broth.1 green pepper sliced.1 tablespoon of tomato paste.pepperCayenne pepper if you like it a tad spicy.Heat the above.At the end addt a little of the browned flour to thicken and add flavor.Take flour tortillas and add meat (or veggies in LG's case). I mostly use cooked chicken and add some refried beans.Heat a tortilla in a dry skillet for a minute and add the ingredients and roll it up.Cover with some mozzerela cheese, the sauce a green pepper from the sauce for color. Sour cream if you like as well.Add some beans and rice to the side for a platter. It's pretty simple and tasty.

You're not really supposed to cook with extra virgin olive oil, because it's very high quality and cooking it impairs the flavour. You can use it of course, and it serves its purpose as an oil, but it won't taste any better than if you used normal olive oil and it tends to be more expensive, so you ought to just use it in cold dishes.
I mostly agree. EVOO will break down quickly under high heat but it's fine for sauteeing things like veggies and shrooms. If you are going to attempt more with it like browning meat add some butter with it and still don't go over med high.I do usually have both Bertolli from Sam's Club and a few others for other things.
I only use yukon gold potatoes....i boil them in their skin (better for nutrients and taste, although I'm sure i'll catch hell from LG for commenting on a vegetable).I then peel them before I run them through the ricer.
I do the same with red potatos and they turn out fine.

I was messing about with some chicken last week so I guess I will post it here.What you need:Chicken BoobOlive oilAny type of onion you prefer. I use red.garliccayenne pepper or red pepper flakesyour fav salsachili powdercilantro if you like it, I don't but if you do it will go goodshredded cheese, preferably a mexican mixTortillasS&PIt's simple, not something I learned in culinary school but it was pretty darn tasty.Preheat oven to 300.Take tinfoil and add tortillas and cover and place in over when at temp.Cut up the chicken in small pieces. Make sure they are all roughly equal in size so that they all cook at the same time.Cut up garlic Cut up the onion anyway you like, I prefer mine in sliversAdd oil to hot pan and add onions and garlic. Then shortly after add chicken.Once the chicken is no longer pink on the outside add salsa, cayenne or red pepper, S&P, and chili powder. Whatever you are comfortable with. After stirring that about for a few minutes add a large handful of the cheese and stir around till melted. Should be a nice gooey mess. Add cilantro at the end and then grab a tortilla and eat.

Scrambled Eggs generally use a little milkOmelettes use 1 tbsp water per egg to get 'em fluffyRisotto rice is called ArborioNot washing mushrooms = something I didn't think about, but approaches genius...unfortunately, my gf hates them and won't allow them in the houseSear grilling steak and moving it to indirect heat looks worth trying...Black Angus NY strips = teh bombCanola oil is a good substitute for olive oil. And, yes, extra virgin will burn at high heat, but it's great for salad dressings, sauces and marinadesAs the main chef in my house, I declare this thread to be completely hetero!I will offer a simple and probably known salad recipe:Several handfuls of baby spinach, washed (1 generous handful per serving or more if you love salad)1/4 cup of walnutsGranny Smith applevinaigrettePeel and dice the apple into a bowl bi enough for the entire salad. Squeeze some lemon juice on the apple and toss by hand, so it doesn't brown while you're fixing the rest of the salad.Heat a non stick pan to medium-low and toast the walnuts. Special tip: Heating nuts activates the essential proteins in them!Add baby spinach to bowlMake vinaigrette: I'll use "parts" instead of cups. 4 parts extra virgin olive oil, 1 part balsamic vinegar, 1 part citrus vinegar (raspberry is good). Screw in some fresh grated pepper, add a pinch of salt and whisk vigorously until emulsified.Quickly put nuts over top of spinach and pour on salad dressing. Toss and serve.The key to a good dressed salad is to use only enough dressing to coat the ingredients. If the dressing pools in the bottom of the bowl, you added too much dressing!For a deluxe touch, warm some goat cheese either in the nut pan or in the over using spoon sized scoops and drop over the center of each bowl just before serving.

Machaca the ultimate taco/burrito ingredientIf you haven't heard of this or had it it's a shredded beef filling Mexican's use alot. Thereare many versions and I usually end up doing things different each time but this is thebasics. It will make a decent batch that you can use for a party, big dinner or freeze individually for the occasional meal.Marinade1/2 cup of EVOOLime juice preferable fresh. (1/4 cup)1 tsp garlic powder1 tsp cumin 1 tsp chili powder salt and peppermix these together in a bowl or glass cup.I use chuck roast for this also about 3lb's and cut into about 3 sections.Coat and marinade overnight in bowl or sealed heavy plastic bag.MachacaRoast1 large onion or 2 small. I like Vidalia but use what you have.1 green bell pepper diceda couple jalapeno peppers depending on how hot you want it.1 can of diced tomatos or the kind with chili's added.A small amount of beef broth (1/4 cup) or a little beer.1 Tbl Oregeno dried1 Tbl Cumin driedA few dashes of hot pepper sauce.Salt and pepper.Brown the roast in batches in some oilSaute the veggies and garlic Add it all back together with other ingredients.Slow cook a couple hours till very tender.Remove beef and shred then add back.Uncover and cook to reduce. You want it almost dry at the end and very tender.This ends up being a slightly spicy beef mixture or as spicy as you want it by addingmore pepper, crushed red pepper etc. to your marinade or during cooking.You can use it to stuff any variety of tacos, burritos etc.I make a dip where I put the machaca in the bottom of a casserole dish, cover with about an inch layer of mashed potatos. Top that with mozzerela and bake for about 20 minutesunder cheese is melted but not burned. Serve with tortilla chips to scoop out.

I make a dip where I put the machaca in the bottom of a casserole dish, cover with about an inch layer of mashed potatos. Top that with mozzerela and bake for about 20 minutesunder cheese is melted but not burned. Serve with tortilla chips to scoop out.
That is a really interesting idea. I love mashed potatoes with cheese, it's a luxury for me.My mum really likes this thing I make, I don't like it but she goes crazy when I make it, so I will share the basic concept.Enchilada Pie1. Make a bolognese type sauce - mince ('grounds'? I use vegetarian ones of course), onions, you could put in pepper or other veg if you wanted, you could put in any kind of beans or pulses if you so desired. Chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, vegetable stock/broth, herbs and seasoning, a bay leaf is always nice. Cook it all up good into a nice sauce or chilli, whichever you feel like.2. Make a white, roux-based sauce. Mine is 50g butter melted, 50g flour stirred in and cooked for a minute. A pint of milk (or half milk, half water works just as good) added and stirred in gradually (in 3 or 4 parts), allowing the sauce to thicken each time. Add any flavourings you like - a bit of marmite, nutmeg, a bay leaf, s&p, parsley, cheese, all of the above....3. Layer corn tortillas (not all corn tortillas are gluten free, so if you have a wheatfree person then check the packets) and the two sauces over and over to fill a casserole dish. Top with cheese, s&p, and you could go ahead and crumble some nachos on top or something for a bit of crunch if you wanted. 4. Bake it all in the oven at a medium temperature for about 40 mins, you can generally tell it's done when the cheese is all brown and lovely.
That is a really interesting idea. I love mashed potatoes with cheese, it's a luxury for me.My mum really likes this thing I make, I don't like it but she goes crazy when I make it, so I will share the basic concept.Enchilada Pie1. Make a bolognese type sauce - mince ('grounds'? I use vegetarian ones of course), onions, you could put in pepper or other veg if you wanted, you could put in any kind of beans or pulses if you so desired. Chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, vegetable stock/broth, herbs and seasoning, a bay leaf is always nice. Cook it all up good into a nice sauce or chilli, whichever you feel like.2. Make a white, roux-based sauce. Mine is 50g butter melted, 50g flour stirred in and cooked for a minute. A pint of milk (or half milk, half water works just as good) added and stirred in gradually (in 3 or 4 parts), allowing the sauce to thicken each time. Add any flavourings you like - a bit of marmite, nutmeg, a bay leaf, s&p, parsley, cheese, all of the above....3. Layer corn tortillas (not all corn tortillas are gluten free, so if you have a wheatfree person then check the packets) and the two sauces over and over to fill a casserole dish. Top with cheese, s&p, and you could go ahead and crumble some nachos on top or something for a bit of crunch if you wanted. 4. Bake it all in the oven at a medium temperature for about 40 mins, you can generally tell it's done when the cheese is all brown and lovely.
I like this alot as well. Thanks to my cooking ability i've racking up some pounds and recently have been eating better during the week. Good tasting healthy ideas are always awesome.I've made the same type enchilada "lasagna" using tortillas but I'm going to try making a veggie mixture like this as a layering and top with non-fat cheese. I'll probably attempt to incorporate chili seasoning somehow. Interesting. I'll get back with results.

Pork Tenderloin w/ Port SauceWhat you need:Pork tenderloin (preferably fresh, not frozen)FlourEVOOGarlic PowderOnion PowderGinger PowderSalt PepperButterPort Wine (cheap is fine unless you plan to drink it as well)Chicken stockPreheat over to 275If you bought a fresh tenderloin then you need to trim the fat and the silver skin off of it. Try not to mangle it. Cut half inch size medallions and lay out flat on paper towel and pat them dryAdd S&P, Garlic, Onion, and ginger powder on both sides.Get frying pan hot and add EVOODredge the pork in flour and tap off excess and place in pan. Takes about a minute and a half on each side, once done put on plate and place in oven to keep warm.Add to the pan a tablespoon of butter, half cup of port, and a half cup of chicken stock and wisk till boil. Try and get the chunks off the bottom of the pan incorporated into the sauce. Stir occasionally while it reduces. After about 5 minutes use a spoon and the sauce should glaze the back of the spoon when it is done, if it is too watery keep reducing it. Add more butter if you want, I tend to add a little towards the end depending on taste.Remove the pork and place on the dish and drizzle the port sauce over it.

Port Wine (cheap is fine unless you plan to drink it as well)
Sorry Steve but I have to point this out. You don't have to buy a $30 bottle of wine to cook with, but if you won't drink the wine, you should not be putting it in your food. Trust me, my mother makes a really good fondue, but does not drink at all, so she buys white wine that is on sale, the years she has bought $4 bottle of crap wine it is terrible, the times I have gotten her a half decent $10 bottle of wine, it is noticeably better.
Sorry Steve but I have to point this out. You don't have to buy a $30 bottle of wine to cook with, but if you won't drink the wine, you should not be putting it in your food. Trust me, my mother makes a really good fondue, but does not drink at all, so she buys white wine that is on sale, the years she has bought $4 bottle of crap wine it is terrible, the times I have gotten her a half decent $10 bottle of wine, it is noticeably better.
Well all through culinary school I was taught not to use expensive wine in our dishes. But I also didn't say buy a twist off $2 bottle of port either. The port I use to cook with is about $13.
Well all through culinary school I was taught not to use expensive wine in our dishes. But I also didn't say buy a twist off $2 bottle of port either. The port I use to cook with is about $13.
Yeah, thats all I was saying. You don't want to cook with Jospeh Phelps Insignia, but you also don't want to cook with box wine either. There is a happy medium.