Help Me Decide On A New Tv

I'm looking for advice on what to get in a new TV. I just bought a new house and I'm ready to spend a few dollars on a nice TV for once and I'm fielding all suggestions.I was thinking something along the lines of this:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1202649424961But I'm not set on the size (anywhere from like 42-61 inches is probably decent) or whether it should be an LCD/Plasma/Projection.So, what do you have?What do you like?Where's a good place to get a good price?Zach told me this was the place for good advice on the subject, so don't let me down OT :)Oh yeah, I'm trying to keep it under $2000.Thanks in advance people.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which room? How much light?

I have a 42 inch plasma, in retrospect I would have preferred a LCD.Good things about plasma- Great picture- Can see from all anglesBad things- Generates a lot of heat- Screen suffers from burn in easier than LCD- Glare from light sources are picked up easier than LCDThe last negative is my largest problem, I had to rearrange the lighting in my home a few times before I got it to a point that I am reasonably happy with all the places to sit and watch the TV. I think its a bit of an unnecessary hassle so my next TV will likely be a LCD over a plasma.

I just bought a new TV myself.I bought a Sony Bravia S 37" LCD 1080i (not p).There were 2 reasons that I bought it:1) It was at my price point (I wanted to spend ~ $1000 AUD)2) It was easily hooked up to a computer at decent resolution (LCD)The answer is really:What are you looking for?a) A TV to watch standard definition cableB) A TV to connect up to a computer sometimesc) A TV to watch High Definition Blu-Ray pr0nd) A TV to watch sport onI personally think that plasma's give a better "warmer" picture, and are a bit smoother with fast action, ie sport, but LCD are great for the extra resolution for computer stuff.Also, I would get a 1080p if you can, 1080p = 1920x1080 progressive scan resolution, instead of cheapos like me who got the 1080i (interleave), which is effectively 1920x1080, but it takes 2 passes to draw the picture each time.There is a good summary of TV stuff if I can dig it up for you.

The answer is really:What are you looking for?a) A TV to watch standard definition cableB) A TV to connect up to a computer sometimesc) A TV to watch High Definition Blu-Ray pr0nd) A TV to watch sport on
This will not be hooked up to a computer. It'll be the main TV in the living room and I'll watch movies and TV and hopefully the NY Giants repeating as Super Bowl Champs :club:

The Sony Bravia is the best bargain I could find.The 1080 p is the best, but there is nothing that broadcasts in 1080p (except BluRay). I have DirecTv and they aren't even set up to broadcast in 1080p. So unless you have BluRay you won't use 1080p in the near future.I've had two Bravia's and I've had no problems with them.

The Sony Bravia is the best bargain I could find.The 1080 p is the best, but there is nothing that broadcasts in 1080p (except BluRay). I have DirecTv and they aren't even set up to broadcast in 1080p. So unless you have BluRay you won't use 1080p in the near future.I've had two Bravia's and I've had no problems with them.
In General Sonys are overpriced for what you're getting with an LCD. They don't make any of their own LCD panels and in fact they buy them from Samsung and will also be buying from Sharp soon.For LCD I would buy either Sharp or Samsung. There's a reason that Sharp has a massive market share in Japan for LCD TV's.
I'm looking for advice on what to get in a new TV. I just bought a new house and I'm ready to spend a few dollars on a nice TV for once and I'm fielding all suggestions.I was thinking something along the lines of this:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1202649424961But I'm not set on the size (anywhere from like 42-61 inches is probably decent) or whether it should be an LCD/Plasma/Projection.So, what do you have?What do you like?Where's a good place to get a good price?Zach told me this was the place for good advice on the subject, so don't let me down OT :)Oh yeah, I'm trying to keep it under $2000.Thanks in advance people.
How set are you on that budget ? If your main concern is to go as large as possible and spend the least amount of money then the TV you linked isn't horrible but it won't be nearly as good as a good LCD.I personally love the Sharp 64 Series and if you up your budget a bit the 52 inch model is something that you should look at.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1186005751234I suggest going to a good high end Audio and Video store in Vegas and picking their brains on what to look for in a good TV. They should be able to educate you and then you will be better armed to visit a Best Buy type place where the staff may not really know anything. You also may find that the prices at the high end store aren't any more than Best Buy.One thing for sure is don't buy a TV today that isn't 1080 P since it would suck to spend all that money and not be able to get the full effect of a Blue Ray player down the road.

I have a 65" 1080p Mitsubishi DLP and it is great. It's in a room that get a lot of sunlight, that's why I went with DLP, higher contrast ration than plasma or LCD, which means better clarity in high-lighting conditions and with the DLP you don't lose the picture when sitting to the side of the set.

It will be in the living room.http://picasaweb.google.com/Matt.Livingsto...560534801887378The windows on the right face south, so if the blinds are open, there will be a lot of light coming in there.
Go with DLP or LCD but NOT plasma unless it's going into a media room that has very little light. I have a 65" and to be honest... it's too big for my living room. Something around a 54" is plenty and do what BOB said about getting 1080.Best Buy has a good selection usually..... get up off your wallet. This is an item that you shouldn't have to replace for 10 years so get the best.

Stick with the 3 S's - Samsung, Sony and Sharp.Have 2 52" Samsung LCD HD. So far so good.If you buy them from Best Buy, hang on to the receipt and check back for price reductions. I saved $500 on the second TV, because of their price guarantee ( I think it's a 90 day window).

ProTip: If you decide to go to Best Buy stop by your local post office and grab a change of address packet. Inside is a 10% off coupon for any TV over $399 at Best Buy. Saved me $140 on my recent purchase. Seriously.

Costco has a good selection and you get a 2 year waranty free there instead of the standard 1. Of all the tv's i checked out there on the weekend the Sharp Aquos lcd had the brightest sharpest screen. I think plasma's must be dying off the lcds on display outnumbered plasmas by about 7 to 1.

How set are you on that budget ? If your main concern is to go as large as possible and spend the least amount of money then the TV you linked isn't horrible but it won't be nearly as good as a good LCD.I personally love the Sharp 64 Series and if you up your budget a bit the 52 inch model is something that you should look at.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1186005751234I suggest going to a good high end Audio and Video store in Vegas and picking their brains on what to look for in a good TV. They should be able to educate you and then you will be better armed to visit a Best Buy type place where the staff may not really know anything. You also may find that the prices at the high end store aren't any more than Best Buy.One thing for sure is don't buy a TV today that isn't 1080 P since it would suck to spend all that money and not be able to get the full effect of a Blue Ray player down the road.
This is all good advice. I'm not set on anything as big as the link I sent, and honestly I think something closer to 50" would be plenty big.Seems like Plasmas should be a no-go. I'm also not necessarily buying from Best Buy, I just linked cause it's convenient.

like others said, get the 1080p. if i was buying another tv, i'd probably look for something with 120 Hz refresh & anti-judder. tech becomes obsolete very fast so i think you want to get the best you can... then never again visit another tv sales outlet or any friend who buys a newer television. ignorance is bliss.

I recently purchased a tv (Best Buy - Samsung 40" LCD 1080p)First off.....I love my TV. It's super neatotastic!There is not one thing I dislike about it. Picture quality, sound quality, overall look.........awesome.A few things to consider.1) I purchased my TV through Best Buy for a couple of reasons. My local grocery store (Giant Eagle - you've probably never heard of it) sell gift cards to a number of different restaurants, home improvement and big box retailers (including best buy). The grocery store also has a chain of gas stations (Get-Go - again you've probably never heard of it) and for every $50 you spend you get $0.10 off per gallon of gas (up to a max of 30 gallons). So buy going thru the grocery store, I saved myself $125± in gas.2) Best buy has a reward zone program in which they send you gift cards based on points you accumulate on each purchase. I figure that I'll get about $80 in gift cards.3) They have price matching. And if they offer your tv at a lower price in the next (60 days I think) you can take your receipt back and they will refund the differnece.4) They offer 10%-12% coupons quite frequently. (No offer now, but check back at http://www.wow-coupons.com/printable-retail-coupons.phpThat's my $0.02. Good luck!

I recently purchased a tv (Best Buy - Samsung 40" LCD 1080p)First off.....I love my TV. It's super neatotastic!There is not one thing I dislike about it. Picture quality, sound quality, overall look.........awesome.A few things to consider.1) I purchased my TV through Best Buy for a couple of reasons. My local grocery store (Giant Eagle - you've probably never heard of it) sell gift cards to a number of different restaurants, home improvement and big box retailers (including best buy). The grocery store also has a chain of gas stations (Get-Go - again you've probably never heard of it) and for every $50 you spend you get $0.10 off per gallon of gas (up to a max of 30 gallons). So buy going thru the grocery store, I saved myself $125± in gas.2) Best buy has a reward zone program in which they send you gift cards based on points you accumulate on each purchase. I figure that I'll get about $80 in gift cards.3) They have price matching. And if they offer your tv at a lower price in the next (60 days I think) you can take your receipt back and they will refund the differnece.4) They offer 10%-12% coupons quite frequently. (No offer now, but check back at http://www.wow-coupons.com/printable-retail-coupons.phpThat's my $0.02. Good luck!
$80. Think your math is off. 250 points gets you $5. 1 point per dollar spent. You got 1199 points. that is $20 with points left over. They still have the 10% offer. Just go to your post office and pick up a change of address packet and they have a coupon in those.

Go here for reviews:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/Who would have thought they have an audio/video forum.In the past year, I bought:58" Samsung plasma50" Samsung plasma52" Sharp LCD42" Samsung LCD42" Samsung LCD61" Samsung DLPIf you want to mount it on a wall, you have either LCD or plasma.If you have enough room for a less than 19" deep TV, go with a DLP. It will be the cheapest by far and the picture is just as good or better than the wall monts.

I have a 42 inch plasma, in retrospect I would have preferred a LCD.Good things about plasma- Great picture- Can see from all anglesBad things- Generates a lot of heat- Screen suffers from burn in easier than LCD- Glare from light sources are picked up easier than LCD
Ditto on everything.My main issue is some strange little red pixels at the bottom of the screen when something colorful goes over the black, and then goes back to black, then i see red pixels in the shape of whatever was there before, it's not burn in exactly, but it's strange and annoying.