Please No.....

I believe the majority of the founding fathers were fundamental Christians.
i believe most of them were deists.
Obama is a good guy and he obviously would never turn around or look away from the flag. But he has said that he believes that the words, "under God", should be removed. This is probably where this rumor started.
i think they probably should be stricken from the PoA as well, but i don't really think that's a fight worth fighting right now.
I agree 100%. I think it's a terrible idea, and yet... it would be nice to tax foreign products at the same rate as American products. This would level the playing field, because right now many foreign products are not taxed, because the companies are not American companies. A 23% sales tax, and no other corporate taxes for American companies, would absolutely level the playing field and I believe, possibly turn the economy into a juggernaut. Huckabee is a fiscal liberal and so I very much hope he doesn't win however.
the thing is that i don't think it would level the playing field--that's what's intriguing about it to me, and why i kind of like the idea. if you spend more on shit, you pay more tax. rich people tend to spend more money than poor people, hence they pay more taxes than poor people. it would also encourage people to spend more thriftily and would probably lower the amount of debt so many of us are in right now. you want an escalade? well ok, you're going to pay even more for it than you do now. if utilities were taxed as well, then saving energy would be rewarded in financial terms even further than it is today. i think both of those are good things.the only real problem i see with it is that it would probably lead to a huge amount of blackmarket deals, an increase in crime thereby, etc. i'm not sure how we'd get around that without turning into a police state, is all.huckabee is a social conservative and so i very much hope he doesn't win, however. :club:
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, of the issues you mentioned, I side with the Democrats strongly or VERY strongly on the issues of:AbortionGayness Annoyance at Religion
I must've missed this the first time but, it's pretty much the reason I'm switching my party affiliation from the big R to the big D here directly. Holy shit, am I tired of talking about gay marriage, abortions and my party basically ignoring me because I'm not active in the Catholic church. Do I care if two queers get married? Not especially.. if they want to be as unhappy and tied up with divorces like 50% of all other couples, let them. Abortions? No, I'd prefer they didn't happen, but there's plenty of children who were/are unwanted ****ing up society pretty badly now.. among about six other reasons that makes abortion a necessary (but sad nonetheless) reality. And don't even get me started on religion. That's why Iowa Republicans are so fond of Huckabee, btw. He talks about middle class reform, gas prices and shit that actual people care about.

Lots to talk about...I think it's pretty ridiculous that everyone's saying that Clinton got "stomped" by Obama and Edwards. I've seen Edwards claiming some huge victory over Clinton in Iowa. Since when is 30% to 29% a huge difference? Yeah, Obama got 38%, but even that's not insurmountable. I don't particularly like Clinton, but more on that in a bit.Some of the xenophobia and isolationism in this thread make me sick. The US has a responsibility to participate in the world. The best thing for the country's prosperity and safety is to keep participating.While a national sales tax in place of an income tax sounds like a good idea and would force people who consume more to pay more...it's more regressive than it initially appears. Yes, "rich" people do spend more than "poor" people, but you need to look at in relative terms. Those poor people are going to be spending a much larger portion of their income on sales tax. Heck, that's the primary form of tax they currently pay...and many are struggling to make ends meet...and you want to up it? Certainly, poverty in this country is quite different from poverty globally. The rich people could easily sit back and save. That's good for reducing debt, but it could easily have the side effect of hurting the economy by reducing consumption.I've been jaded about politics since Bush's camp played dirty against McCain in the 2000 elections. I voted for McCain in 2000 and 2004. Can anyone imagine how different the landscape would've looked if the Republican elite hadn't been such stupid gamblers? Despite the fact that he showed he was conservative with his voting record, they disliked that he reached across party lines and that they couldn't control him. He would've stomped Gore and/or Kerry. Thus, they "gambled" by running Bush and easily risked losing.This cycle, I'm not particularly thrilled with any of the candidates. (McCain doesn't enliven me like he once did.) That said, I don't think any of them are going to destroy the country. People have said that they'll move out of the country if the most hated candidate on the other side wins...and yet no one ever moves. As BG said, things will continue on relatively normally. If the Republicans win, it'd probably be a bit better for the economy (though the fiscal irresponsibility these days is ridiculous). If the Democrats win, it'd be better for our global standing.Easy (best) tickets for both parties:McCain/HuckabeeObama/ClintonIf either party got their shit together and ran one of those tickets out there...they'd stomp the other one (assuming it wasn't countered ideally).I do take small satisfaction in that McCain is the only Republican polling well HU against the Democratic candidates.

Jesus spoke about money more than any other topic in the New Testament.
Calling bullshit.
Calling bullshit.
5 seconds on google....Is money the primary topic addressed in the Bible?No, but it’s easy to get that idea. Scholars point out that Jesus discusses money more than heaven and hell combined, or that Jesus talked more about money than anyone else in the Bible. Financial teacher Howard Dayton, for example, has counted 2,350 verses in God’s word that deal with money. Pastor Rick Warren suggests that stewardship and redemption are the two themes which encompass the whole of Scripture, from Genesis to Revelation. Author John Ortberg asks his readers to ponder why the Bible’s Author and Editor would devote twice as many verses to money than to faith and prayer. Such comments remind us how much God has to say about money; they also show us how critical it is for us to pay attention to what God’s word says about our possessions and pocketbooks. But like all statistics and truisms, these carry the potential of being misinterpreted or misused. In fact, the Bible is a guide for all of life and practice (2 Timothy 3:16)—not just finances but also marriage, work, character, family life, military service, education, government and many others. We cannot reduce the Bible to a primarily financial message (e.g., prosperity theology). In the end, Scripture’s primary focus is God’s gospel to his people. So, while the Bible says a surprisingly great deal about money and possessions, it would be wrong to state that the Bible says more about finances than about any other topic, or that money is the Scripture’s primary concern.
Imagine if Obama gets the nod and young people and minorities really turn out and vote for him in big numbers...it could happen. BO_Ludicris.jpg
Did the words "Vice-President Ludacris" just pop into anyone else's head?Heh
Jesus spoke about money more than any other topic in the New Testament.
Is money the primary topic addressed in the Bible?No, but it’s easy to get that idea. Scholars point out that Jesus discusses money more than heaven and hell combined, or that Jesus talked more about money than anyone else in the Bible. ... So, while the Bible says a surprisingly great deal about money and possessions, it would be wrong to state that the Bible says more about finances than about any other topic, or that money is the Scripture’s primary concern.
So you're debunking your own claim? If that wasn't your intent, please examine the phrasing that you used compared to the phrasing that the answer uses.
Easy (best) tickets for both parties:McCain/HuckabeeObama/ClintonIf either party got their shit together and ran one of those tickets out there...they'd stomp the other one (assuming it wasn't countered ideally).
Isn't that basically what Kerry and Edwards tried 4 years ago? Didn't work then, although I'll concede that no one is running against an incumbent this time around.
Please. I'm as strong a Republican as anyone. Another Bush and I'll tear out my own eyeballs. Seriously. The first one was bad. The second one was a disaster.
I have heard a lot of people say that Jeb is the true conservative of the family. I think he would get a good handle on congressional spending.
No way, young people are not even remotely likely to turn out in droves. They've been trying that for 16 years and the numbers are exactly the same as they were before.Although the whole Vote or Die campaign that Sean Colmbes did resulted in me getting paid to fly to Miami, and drop 6,000 balloons at the MTV Video Music Awards in 2004, so I am glad they made this foolhardy effort.
Yeah but John Kerry wasn't down with Ludacris :club:. Also, he wasn't black.
Yeah but John Kerry wasn't down with Ludacris :club:. Also, he wasn't black.
Long as they both do balloon drops, I really am mostly not caring too much about this election.That and Hillary loses, perferablly with huge scandels and Bill looking like a fool for marrying her. Is that too much to hope for?
So you're debunking your own claim? If that wasn't your intent, please examine the phrasing that you used compared to the phrasing that the answer uses.
I don't know where he cut and pasted that from but it sounds like to me that the writer is trying to deny it even though it's true- money is mentioned more than heaven and hell combined. What that means really varies depending on the scripture and the context. Ewwww.... I loove arguing Bible and I really couldn't do it with that one. I know that what he says is true, but it never really comes up much in my circles, mostly because I am not loaded so I am not really worried about it I guess. Technically, biblically we shouldn't even be involved in this stuff. There isn't much scriptually that talks about it, but he does talk about not getting involved in the affairs of this life, he talks about how God puts them up and sets them down in a context of where he is speaking about public figures, and just really the overall deceit/slime in politics makes it not conducive to a christian walk. Sort of like it would be tough to be a rock star and really follow christ.
Isn't that basically what Kerry and Edwards tried 4 years ago? Didn't work then, although I'll concede that no one is running against an incumbent this time around.
Kerry wasn't nearly as good of a candidate as Obama or Clinton. His whole platform that year was "I'm not Bush"...and he didn't lose by much. It was a good idea to pair him with Edwards though...I think that added a considerable amount to that ticket's popularity.
Kerry wasn't nearly as good of a candidate as Obama or Clinton. His whole platform that year was "I'm not Bush"...and he didn't lose by much. It was a good idea to pair him with Edwards though...I think that added a considerable amount of hair product endorsement money
FYPI was listening to a best of Adam Carrolla on the radio this morning with him interviewing John F'ing Kerry and I must say I am still glad he failed like he did. I mean an unpopular pres, an unpopular war, a supposed bad economy, and a huge feeling of being cheated out of the Florida election by the Democrat base and he still counldn't beat Bush.You'd think it couldn't have been done. But he did it. At least he married money, even though the pre-nup leaves him with only the money he can steal as a senator.
Bush never beat Al Gore...little brother helped him steal that election
LOL ... how is it that you "steal" an election that you "won" all three times it was counted?
Lots to talk about...I think it's pretty ridiculous that everyone's saying that Clinton got "stomped" by Obama and Edwards. I've seen Edwards claiming some huge victory over Clinton in Iowa. Since when is 30% to 29% a huge difference? Yeah, Obama got 38%, but even that's not insurmountable. I don't particularly like Clinton, but more on that in a bit.Clinton had a lead here and lost it. She had the entire party machine in her corner and lost her grip on it. She was in the White house for 8 years and lost any presidential aura she carried from that experience. For the last two months, she took NO QUESTIONS from Iowans. She had a BIG lead and lost it. Considering all the ammunition she had, she's an awful candidate. And she's a drip. Some of the xenophobia and isolationism in this thread make me sick. The US has a responsibility to participate in the world. The best thing for the country's prosperity and safety is to keep participating.I'm not against "participating." I'm against being the world's nipple. We're out of money and running out of power. We need to "recharge" as a nation." The world has a "responsibility" to pick itself up when we try to help. No nation has offered more foreign assistance than the U.S. Not knowing the facts, I'm still willing to argue that U.S. foreign assistance given over the past century is EXPONENTIALLY greater than any other nation in the world, possibly all other nations combined, and all it's accomplished is to have generated institutionalized hatred for us. While a national sales tax in place of an income tax sounds like a good idea and would force people who consume more to pay more...it's more regressive than it initially appears. Yes, "rich" people do spend more than "poor" people, but you need to look at in relative terms. Those poor people are going to be spending a much larger portion of their income on sales tax. Heck, that's the primary form of tax they currently pay...and many are struggling to make ends meet...and you want to up it? Certainly, poverty in this country is quite different from poverty globally. The rich people could easily sit back and save. That's good for reducing debt, but it could easily have the side effect of hurting the economy by reducing consumption.True platitudes ... all taxes are regressive, the poor will always be with us, rich people can protect themselves from ANY tax, people who are struggling to make ends meet aren't struggling because of taxes ... and I think a heavy import duty would snap this nation into massive economic recovery anyway ... I've been jaded about politics since Bush's camp played dirty against McCain in the 2000 elections. I voted for McCain in 2000 and 2004. Can anyone imagine how different the landscape would've looked if the Republican elite hadn't been such stupid gamblers? Despite the fact that he showed he was conservative with his voting record, they disliked that he reached across party lines and that they couldn't control him. He would've stomped Gore and/or Kerry. Thus, they "gambled" by running Bush and easily risked losing.This cycle, I'm not particularly thrilled with any of the candidates. (McCain doesn't enliven me like he once did.) That said, I don't think any of them are going to destroy the country. People have said that they'll move out of the country if the most hated candidate on the other side wins...and yet no one ever moves. As BG said, things will continue on relatively normally. If the Republicans win, it'd probably be a bit better for the economy (though the fiscal irresponsibility these days is ridiculous). If the Democrats win, it'd be better for our global standing.Easy (best) tickets for both parties:McCain/HuckabeeObama/ClintonI don't get the whole "McCain as maverick" imagery sold to us by the media. McCain sold out as a Republican. Sold OUT. And besides, wasn't he one of the "Keating Five?"If either party got their shit together and ran one of those tickets out there...they'd stomp the other one (assuming it wasn't countered ideally).I do take small satisfaction in that McCain is the only Republican polling well HU against the Democratic candidates.Calling bullshit.
Kerry wasn't nearly as good of a candidate as Obama or Clinton. His whole platform that year was "I'm not Bush"...and he didn't lose by much. It was a good idea to pair him with Edwards though...I think that added a considerable amount to that ticket's popularity.
Kerry was a dream (Democratic disaster) for the Republicans. Just a dream for the Republicans ....
FYP
he does have spectacular hair
FYP
no, we don't need another president assassinated (especially not by a crip).
FYP
Obama would do much better than Edwards in a general election. Edwards is too far to left.
Obama would do much better than Edwards in a general election. Edwards is too far to left.
I totally agree with this... does that mean that racism is basically dead in the US now? I know a lot of crap still exists in the south, but where I am in the midwest... It never even crosses my mind that Obama is a black guy, and I think that is the general feeling around here.
I totally agree with this... does that mean that racism is basically dead in the US now? I know a lot of crap still exists in the south, but where I am in the midwest... It never even crosses my mind that Obama is a black guy, and I think that is the general feeling around here.
Weird.. what part of the midwest are you in? I live in Kansas and although some feel the way you do I know alot adults from about 30-40 who consider him black and can't get past that factor.. It's funny because alot of people my age (18-24) want to vote for Ron Paul..
Weird.. what part of the midwest are you in? I live in Kansas and although some feel the way you do I know alot adults from about 30-40 who consider him black and can't get past that factor.. It's funny because alot of people my age (18-24) want to vote for Ron Paul..
I'm in Iowa, where he just easily won. I voted for Ron Paul. But it sure as hell wasn't because he is white.
How did Paul end up doing?
He ended with 10% of the vote. He was cut from tonight's debate, but since he finished in double digits they readded him. The debate is on ABC right now actually. I'm TiVo'ing it, since the playoffs are on.