Essential 80's Albums

Being born in the early eighties I wasn't exactly popping off to the record store every weekend. Now I do have a good collection of 80's songs but. ok well I have a decent collection. alright I pretty much have diddly compared to what I'd like to have. Anyway help me out by telling me your essential albums of all genres from this decade . I really do have many of the big songs just not any albums. If this turns out well and I'm sure it will. I may just ask about other decades. Thanks in advance.edit: sweet I spelled sibling wrong

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dire Straights : Brothers in ArmsU2 : Rattle and HumSoundtrack from Fast Times at Ridgemont High (just kidding, but owning the movie is a must)

I can do this. I'll give you whatever I think of in the next 3 minutes. GO!Talking Heads- Remain in Light; Stop Making SenseSonic Youth- Daydream Nation; Sister; EVOLPixies- Surfer Rosa; (and all the other ones I can't remember)The Smiths- The Queen is Dead; Strangeways, Here We ComeDinosaur, Jr.- You're All Over MeTalk Talk- Spirit of Eden; The Color of SpringThe Replacements- Let it Be; (and there's another one that's really good I can't remember)The Police- SynchronicityElvis Costello- (look the albums up, I can't recall any names, because I am rushing and stupid)There's a ton more, but these are some of my favorites. For most of these bands there are other albums that are as good or close to as good.Wang

Being born in the early eighties I wasn't exactly popping off to the record store every weekend. Now I do have a good collection of 80's songs but. ok well I have a decent collection. alright I pretty much have diddly compared to what I'd like to have. Anyway help me out by telling me your essential albums of all genres from this decade . I really do have many of the big songs just not any albums. If this turns out well and I'm sure it will. I may just ask about other decades. Thanks in advance.edit: sweet I spelled sibling wrong
Suicidal Tendencies - How wil I laugh tomorrowSuicidal Tendencies - Lights Camera RevolutionMetallica - Master of PuppetsAnthrax - Among the livingMotley Crue - Shout at the devilMotley crue - Theatre of PainQuiet Riot - Metal HealthDef Leppard - PyromaniaPoison - Open up and say AhhWhitesnake - WhitesnakeRatt - Out of the cellarSkid Row - Skid RowFaster Pussycat - Wake me when its overAny and ALL Ramones

I cant say which you might like the best, so I roughly listed them in the order of popularity, from most to least. I wasnt around then, so it is just a guess though. If you want the safe picks, start at the top of the list.If you want good music that you might not have heard before, start at the bottom. Guns and Roses- appetite for destruction- cant believe this hasnt been mentioned yet.Ozzy Osbourne- greatest hits if you want more songs, blizzard of oz if you want an 80s cd.U2- the joshua tree- i actually like the songs they dont play on the radio better.the Police- every breath you take:the classics- go for the compilation unless you are a purist.the Smiths- singles- if you dont want to get multiple albums this is a must own.REM- eponymous- this is the compilation of Rem's 80s cds.Depeche Mode- catching up with depeche mode.the Cult- sonic temple- not the most critically aclaimed, but I like them.Sonic Youth- daydream nation- might be the best album of the 80s.Pixies- doolittle- much better than surfer rosa in my opinion.Sisters of Mercy- a slight case of overbombing- if you like longer songs this cd is for you.the Chameleons- strange times- great cd that many people dont know about.Love and Rockets- earth, sun, moon- another forgotten band that was pretty good.Shriekback- Oil and Gold- one of my favorite 80s cds, although not sure if it has widespread appeal.Leonard Cohen- im your man- a little short, but everyone should own a Cohen cd.Spacemen 3- playing with fire- great cd with distinct sound.

Here's some good 80s RockAC/DC- Back in BlackAC/DC- It's a Long Way to the Top Dio- Holy DiverGuns N' Roses- Appetite for DestructionGuns N' Roses- GNR LiesMetallica- Master of PuppetsMetallica- Ride the LightningMetallica- ...And Justice for AllMotley Crue- Shout at the DevilMotley Crue- Theater of PainMotley Crue- Girls, Girls, GirlsMotley Crue- Dr. FeelgoodOzzy Osbourne- Blizzard of OzzQueen- The GameVan Halen- 1984Skid Row- Skid RowRush- Permanent WavesRush- Moving Pictures

these come to mindqueensryche: the warning, rage for order, operation mindcrimemichael schenker group: MSGUFO: wild willing innocentfloyd: momentary lapsesabbath: heaven & hellwhitesnake: whitesnakeyngwie malmsteen's rising force: marching outloudness: thunder in the east

Purple Rain by Prince. Maybe the album of the decade.Run DMC: Raising HellLL Cool J: Bigger and Deffer, RadioINXS : KickMadonna : Like a VirginBryan Adams : Cuts Like a KnifeJohn Mellencamp : American FoolSpringsteen : Born in the USADon Henley: Building the Perfect BeastPublic Enemy :It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us BackBeastie Boys: Liscensed to IllPhil Collins: No Jacket RequiredMiami Sound Machine :Primitive LoveRichard Marx: Richard Marx and Repeat OffenderWhite Lion :PridePoison :Look What the Cat Dragged In, Open up and Say ...AhhhNot music, but must haves: Eddie Murphy Delerious and Eddie Murphy Raw

Here's some good 80s RockAC/DC- Back in BlackAC/DC- It's a Long Way to the Top Dio- Holy DiverGuns N' Roses- Appetite for DestructionGuns N' Roses- GNR LiesMetallica- Master of PuppetsMetallica- Ride the LightningMetallica- ...And Justice for AllMotley Crue- Shout at the DevilMotley Crue- Theater of PainMotley Crue- Girls, Girls, GirlsMotley Crue- Dr. FeelgoodOzzy Osbourne- Blizzard of OzzQueen- The GameVan Halen- 1984Skid Row- Skid RowRush- Permanent WavesRush- Moving Pictures
It's impossible not to laugh when I hear this song. It's just funny.

Talking Heads cannot be stressed enough. Speaking In TonguesMore Songs About Buildings And Food (technically from '78, but it's sooooo good)True Stories is also good, and Remain In Light, and Stop Making Sense is live, and is awesome as well. '77 is also great, but obviously not from the 80sStop Making Sense is also like the best concert video ever. Everybody should buy it. Some of it is on Youtube:Psycho KillerOnce in a LifetimeBurning Down the House/Life During Wartime

Off the top of my head...Michael Jackson - ThrillerCyndi Lauper - She's So UnusualPrince - Purple RainVan Halen - 1984Wham - Their debut-the names ascapes me right nowBruce Springsteen - Born in the USAMadonna - Madonna

stuff that i don't think has been mentioned: joy division - closer beastie boys - paul's boutique new order - power, corruption, and lies jesus and mary chain - psychocandy cure - disintegration husker du - zen arcarde elvis costello - imperial bedroom, get happy king crimson - discipline hall and oates - all of it

Public Enemy- It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Prince - Purple Rain
Yes and Yes...off the top of my head...Eric B & Rakim - Paid in Full, Follow the LeaderSlick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick RickIce-T - Rhyme PaysLL Cool J - Radio, Bigger and DefferDe La Soul - Three Feet high and RisingRun DMC - Raising HellNWA - Straight Outta Compton, NWA and the PosseThe DOC - No One Can Do It Better