ivey winning his 5th bracelet adds weight

Would you rather be given 1 million dollars, or play Phil Ivey in a heads up freezout for 100 million?You pay nothing to play the freeze out. You choose between limit hold'em or NL hold'em. Blinds are 4000/8000, both start with 500k in chips.If you lost, you'd get nothing.You are given the choice to do it on the spot.You do not have time to place side bets.You do not have time to hire anyone for anything.Ivey will not deal.The blinds do NOT go up.*edit* If 1 million makes it easy, what's the lowest amount you'd take, rather than play?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How could anyone take the 1 mil? Unless you put yourself as having a 1% chance of winning, but realistically even a terrible player should still have at least a 10% chance. limit or no limit? A better question would be to play him for like 5 mil at most.

How could anyone take the 1 mil?  Unless you put yourself as having a 1% chance of winning, but realistically even a terrible player should still have at least a 10% chance.  limit or no limit?  A better question would be to play him for like 5 mil at most.
im sure many people would take the 1 million. As for me? I have no idea. Sure my odds against him are better than 1%, but why risk a free million dollars?
How could anyone take the 1 mil?  Unless you put yourself as having a 1% chance of winning, but realistically even a terrible player should still have at least a 10% chance.  
Ok, the point of creating odds like this is if you're going to be doing it multiple times. In this case, you're not, so these %'s mean nothing.
How could anyone take the 1 mil?  Unless you put yourself as having a 1% chance of winning, but realistically even a terrible player should still have at least a 10% chance.  limit or no limit?  A better question would be to play him for like 5 mil at most.
Well, so far the taking the 1 mil is a big favorite, so I utterly disagree. If you ask DN or Greenstein this question it's an easy choice for them I'm sure, but I'm thinking for most of the posters on this forum, it's nowhere near that easy, 1 mil guaranteed is a hellofa lot of money.I'll edit to adress the "what game" question.
Ok, the point of creating odds like this is if you're going to be doing it multiple times. In this case, you're not, so these %'s mean nothing.
no offense, but that is one of the dumbest things i've ever read. Odds still have an obvious importance, even if you only do something once. If not, you would basically be saying that as long as you are doing it once, the odds of flipping a coin and having it land on tails are the same as winning a lottery with odds of one in forty million. Say the odds of you winning the match against ivey are the same as flipping a coin (that's 50-50, even if you do it only once), so then taking the 1 mil instead of playing for the full 100 mil is beyond foolish. Now apply that to the actual chances of you beating ivey, which even without understanding the concept of odds or nearly the skill and experience of ivey could still easily be above 20%. Do you understand how odds of winning play a role yet from that?

i think ivey is one of the best poker players to ever walk the earth, but i would go for the 100 million for sure, i have much more than 1 in 100 chance of winning

@Patricnz Why is the guy saying he has more than 1% chance a retard?I say FU patricnz you dump fuk!If you choose NL and goes all in on every hand, you have AT LEAST 11 % chance of winning. So it is you, there is a fuking retard.

yeah, Id take the mil.If 1 mil wouldnt dramatically change my life, Id play for the 100 mil. If you had 100 mil on the line, and it meant sooo much to you, do you think you couldnt honestly be on top of your game? I know we all practice disocciating chips and money on a daily basis, but only through bankroll management can we ensure that the blows arent threatening to our cash, since the wins also arent a dramatic increase to our overall stake, money is easy to dissociate(at least in my opinion), but if your playing in a game where one win is so enourmous in relation to what you currently have, can you play as if it doesnt matter?Id take the mil, even if Im playing your grandma in a 100 mil freeze outholdem is sketchy. I remember reading in The Professor, The Banker and The Suicide King where Jennifer Harmen talks about how she played her bf in headsup limit freeze outs to prepare for Beal, and her boyfriend, who has no real experience in poker, beat her twice in a row! You have to deal with this kind of variance, and play phil ivey on top of that, sure youll win more than 1 percent of the time, but you dont get to play multiple times, and what will happen a majority of the time? You lose.

anyone who isn't already a millionaire and doesn't take the free mil is an idiot. if i have a choice of getting a million dollars no question asked, or be given an extremely poor chance to win 100 million it's a very easy answer. the person who is using odds to calculate if he should play or not is not thinking clearly. this isn't a decision that will ever come up again. even if i got 10 chances against him(i'm assuming the blind structure allows for a lot of action) i'd still take the mil. how effing greedy do you have to be?

Anybody who says they would play for 100 million rather than taking 1 million is LYING! The only caveat is if they are already filthy rich. Give me a break. :roll:

anyone who isn't already a millionaire and doesn't take the free mil is an idiot.  if i have a choice of getting a million dollars no question asked, or be given an extremely poor chance to win 100 million it's a very easy answer.
emineric, you arrogant prick, just because that's how you feel doesn't mean that's how everyone else feels. I make a very good living and an extra million dollars would be really nice. However, I can survive without it and I still won't need to worry about money.I would honestly go for the $100 million, giving myself a 25% chance of succeeding (assuming we get to use my blind structures, fast, and no limit).
how effing greedy do you have to be?
What a retarded statement. I believe the basis for the OP question was assuming everyone was based on greed. So you're saying that if you were offered $1 million or $2 million, you'd take the $1 million so as not to be greedy? Come ON!
So you're saying that if you were offered $1 million or $2 million, you'd take the $1 million so as not to be greedy? Come ON!
No, he's saying if he were offered $1 million for doing nothing, or was given the option to flip a coin, where heads earns him $2 million, and tails earns him nothing, he will take the $1 million.