Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

Btw, for the sake of argument...2009-2010 Salaries (Cap hit) http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=PITForwardsCrosby, 8.7 MMalkin, 9 M (I think he'll take 8ish, like slightly less than Crosby, but 9 is a fair compromise)Malone, 3 M (RFA, born and raised in Pittsburgh, likely to take a small hometown discount, but is worth 3-4 million on the open market, should be resigned this summer)Staal, 2 M (RFA after next season, maybe he makes 3 million if he starts scoring again)Armstrong, 2 M (RFA starting this season, this number obviously depends on their 2008-09 performance; can be replaced by player of equal value/skill, if necessary)Christensen, 1.5 M (see Armstrong)Talbot, 1.5 M (see Armstrong)Kennedy, 1.5 M (see Armstrong)DefenseGonchar, 5 M (This would be his last season under his current contract)Whitney, 4 MLetang, 0.65 M (will be an RFA the next season, will probably command Whitney money, but Gonchar will be a UFA that season as well, so will basically just replace him)Goligoski, 1 M (wll be in the first season after his entry level contract, potentially in his 3rd season, but probably his 2nd season, won't be ready for the big bucks, yet, so a small pay raise seems likely)GoaltendingFleury, 3 M (This number kinda depends on how he plays the rest of the season, he'll be an RFA next season, and will get a raise from the 1.6 M he makes this year)So, that's basically the core of the team.Adding those numbers up, we're looking at $42.85 M locked up. Assuming the salary cap will be around $55 M at the time (?), the Pens would have $12 M more to spend on 3-4 3rd/4th line forwards, a scoring winger to replace Sykora (whose contract is up after next year), bottom 2 defensemen, who can be had at ~1-1.5 M each, etc. Most of this talent will of course be developped from within, thus we'll see some cheap rookie contracts on the 3rd/4th lines, and some guys like Scuderi who will play for 1 million and be stellar defensively.Seems like it shouldn't be too bad for the Pens to get under the cap, and I know that the ownership group will have no problem spending with the new arena opening, and being close to a cup, etc.The fact that Staal has "struggled" this year, at least in terms of scoring goals, will help the Pens, as his salary will be lower than people thought it would be next year.

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

Looking at those defensemen, I really hope the Pens spring for a good, solid, shut-down guy. I'd love for Eaton to actually stay healthy and stick around, but I'm not sure that'll happen. Bad news on the Roberts front. Here's what the Pens blogger over on Hockeybuzz had to say:KDKA in Pittsburgh is reporting that Gary Roberts has had a set back and could be out the year, maybe longer. It was revealed that he also is suffering from a torn ligament in his ankle and it caused him to crumble to the ice when he tried to skate a couple weeks back. Roberts has targeted March 27th for an attempted comeback, but it doesn't look great today. More on this later... :club:

Oh no.He'd be really nice to have in the playoffs.I don't hate giving a young guy his spot in the lineup, otherwise, though.Taffe and Laraque can bring that physical presence Roberts would have provided.Speaking of Laraque, I would like to see him take a regular shift in the playoffs. He's more than proven he can play with the puck, as well as fight and intimidate.

The knock on him is that he's too slow, though, and faster teams like Ottawa can exploit that. I was loving him a few weeks ago, but I think he's slipping a bit in the last week or 2. Of course, a few of his teammates have been slipping lately in the short term as well. He just doesn't seem like he's winning battles along the boards as much as he used to, and I don't remember his last decent scoring opportunity. I'm still liking him, though, but I hope he picks things up a bit more.

Well, the thing that he, and his line do so well, is control the puck in the offensive zone for a length of time. If they can do that for 30 seconds, sneak in a quick line change and get a fresh sniper on the ice, they could do some damage.I agree though, that he's been getting moved off the puck a bit more than normal, lately.

I just don't see where Gill fits in. :club: I wonder what the line-up will be for tonight?
all i kept hearing was how the pens need a shutdown d man. well the have orpik and don't use him on the PK at all. i don't get the gill deal and i pretty much hate him as a player. dunno sometimes that changes when the come to your team though.
last week sid practised hard every day, he hasnt trained this week. i havent heard this mentioned anywhere but is there are chance that he reinjured himself which has somewhat prompted this deal?
Let me dig up an article I just saw in today's Pitt. Post Gazette:http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08057/860432-61.stmThe good news for the Penguins is that, after being off the ice since Wednesday, Crosby plans to resume skating this week. He said he stopped not because of a setback in his recovery, but because there was no real point in continuing."The purpose of skating was to stay in shape," he said. "Obviously, I knew at some point that I wasn't going to be playing within the next week or so."For me to skate for a month before I was going to be back would be pretty useless, wearing myself out for no reason."I just realized it's going to be a while. I just have to be patient and not waste energy every day."
I just don't see where Gill fits in. :club: I wonder what the line-up will be for tonight?
The more I think about it, the more I don't mind this trade.I think, for next season, we could easily have a couple guys jump up and fill in for Colby and EC. Any two of Filewich, Stone, James, Smith, Minard, etc, might be able to step up at that point into the 3rd/4th line positions, plus we'll have a bit of room to sign a winger in the off season if we can't get Hossa signed.Gill, on the other hand... I dunno. Maybe the Pens were trying to move Orpik, as he will probably not resign for next season... dunno, tough to say. You obviously can't bench Sarge, Whitney, Letang, and Sydor and Scuderi have been too solid defensively to sit them. Orpik has been so-so this year, but I don't think he's worse than Gill, and they'd both be playing the same role. It makes no sense to me either.

Zach..I think it'll be Malone-Sid-Hossa....

last week sid practised hard every day, he hasnt trained this week. i havent heard this mentioned anywhere but is there are chance that he reinjured himself which has somewhat prompted this deal?
No.
Zach..I think it'll be Malone-Sid-Hossa....No.
Yeah, I dunno about that. There are some reports coming out of Pittsburgh that Malone fits a bit better with Malkin, and it's pretty clear that he played much better since Sid went down. I like Talbot on the wing, cuz he's a bit of the same as Malone. A bit smaller, but he'll be the power forward on that line. I could see a Kennedy, or even Staal going there as well, and have Talbot centre the 3rd line.I have no idea were Dupuis will fit into this lineup, but I guess 3rd or 4th line wing is most likely. I don't know enough about him, though.One thing, for sure... tonight's line up is going to be ugly, unless Hossa can get on a jet and get down to Long Island ASAP.

The other positive about this trade, is that we won't be paying Colby and EC ~2 M a year just because they've been in the league a few years, they can be replaced with similar players at a cheaper price tag, and maybe that makes it just a bit easier to resign Malkin, and maybe even Hossa, or some other free agent winger.

You gotta give credit the Pens for going for the CUP..However they have significantly hurt their immediate future as it seems a lot to give up for a rental...I respect Shero though for going for it...I would of tried to add a goalie as well...

if the Pens can't resign Hossa this will have been a bad trade. Do they the cap space to make a serious bid for Hossa?Also, is the cup really feasible this season with their current goaltending situation?