The Da Vinci Code

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong forum.... it comes out next Friday. I'm sure the book will be better than the movie.
i figured it was the wrong forum but i couldnt find any movie forum. maybe tv wouldve been better.and youre right it does come out next week. looks like i shi-t the bed on this one.

No joke, people NEED to read the book. I got it like 2 months ago so I would finish it before the movie came out. I have never been a big reader, I hate reading, but the chapters are like 2-3 pages, so its a lot of fun and you feel accomplished after finish a chapter.I just kept it near the john and read it when I was taking care of business. Just when you think the book cant get any better....it does. I love movies but I would rate this book higher than 99% of the movies out there

All of Dan Brown's books are fast paced. I feel like I'm watching a movie when I read them. I read The DaVinci Code first, then I just finished Angels & Demons, and I'm about halfway through Digital Fortress. I already have Deception Point for when I finish Digital Fortress. All of his books would make great movies. I saw Harrison Ford being a better Robert Langdon than Tom Hanks though.

All of Dan Brown's books are fast paced. I feel like I'm watching a movie when I read them. I read The DaVinci Code first, then I just finished Angels & Demons, and I'm about halfway through Digital Fortress. I already have Deception Point for when I finish Digital Fortress. All of his books would make great movies. I saw Harrison Ford being a better Robert Langdon than Tom Hanks though.
I've heard Angels and Demons is better than The DaVinci Code. Do you agree?
ive only read angels and deamons and it was awesome! best book ive ever read....not that ive read many. Im gonna start the da vinci code one of these days. But i have heard that angels and deamons is better aswell. I think the da vinci code is more appealing on a commercial level.
ive only read angels and deamons and it was awesome! best book ive ever read....not that ive read many. Im gonna start the da vinci code one of these days. But i have heard that angels and deamons is better aswell. I think the da vinci code is more appealing on a commercial level.
I'm assuming by your handle your a fan of X-men. What did you think of the movies? Compared to the other comic book made movies out there I thought the X-men were pretty solid. Third one looks good too.

I'm going to be that little dissenting voice that says that the book is way overrated (and full of factual inaccuracies, if we want to have that debate) and that the movie is probably going to be worse.And I'm not even religious; I just hate Dan Brown's writing style. I guess I can see why it's so popular, but I couldn't stand it.

I thought the movie was great, but I have to say that my whole movie going experience got a little tarnished when my time machine overheated on the way home.

I thought the movie was great, but I have to say that my whole movie going experience got a little tarnished when my time machine overheated on the way home.
Hard to find a good mechanic for Deloreans
I have never been a big reader, I hate reading, but the chapters are like 2-3 pages, so its a lot of fun and you feel accomplished after finish a chapter.
yeah, this is just the type of guy that Code the book appeals to. The never reader. Anyone who actually enjoys reading, has an attention span longer than 2-3 pages, and doesn't enjoy inintentional comedy. This book is the worst book I've read in about 5 years, since I read "left behind" the book. If you like Grisham, by this book. Otherwise, run screaming from any Code displays at your bookstore.*** Edit***You Divinci code book fans need to take a cruise with all the Home Improvement TV show fans ( assuming these two fan bases don't enteirely overlap) In the Far north atlantic with a drunken captian.
I actually thought that they were very similar. One thing that I disliked about both books is that they lead up to one conclusion for the entire book, then in the last 10 or so chapters, there are about 10 plot twists crammed in right at the end. Don't get me wrong, I like plot twists, but it just seems that Dan Brown tries to cram too many of them right before the book ends.To all the high-and-mighty-readers that think that Dan Brown caters to the non-reader, what is so wrong with his writing style? He spends the first few chapters on character development, then sets up several plot lines. The reasons the chapters are so short is that he tries to juggle all of the plot lines so that the reader doesn't lose interest in any of them. If you read ever 3rd or 4th chapter, you could follow one plot line from beginning to end, but I like the plot switching. Like I said before, his books read like you are watching a movie.
I actually thought that they were very similar. One thing that I disliked about both books is that they lead up to one conclusion for the entire book, then in the last 10 or so chapters, there are about 10 plot twists crammed in right at the end. Don't get me wrong, I like plot twists, but it just seems that Dan Brown tries to cram too many of them right before the book ends.To all the high-and-mighty-readers that think that Dan Brown caters to the non-reader, what is so wrong with his writing style? He spends the first few chapters on character development, then sets up several plot lines. The reasons the chapters are so short is that he tries to juggle all of the plot lines so that the reader doesn't lose interest in any of them. If you read ever 3rd or 4th chapter, you could follow one plot line from beginning to end, but I like the plot switching. Like I said before, his books read like you are watching a movie.
Books shouldn't read like you are watching a movie.. that's what movies are for. What you call " read like watching a movie" I call "dumbed down" I have no desire to break down DVC piece by piece on why it sucks balls, but every part of this book sucks, the characters, the absurd plot, everything. This movie does "Read like watching a movie" A very bad, psuedo intellectual thriller movie.
Books shouldn't read like you are watching a movie.. that's what movies are for. What you call " read like watching a movie" I call "dumbed down" I have no desire to break down DVC piece by piece on why it sucks balls, but every part of this book sucks, the characters, the absurd plot, everything. This movie does "Read like watching a movie" A very bad, psuedo intellectual thriller movie.
So book shouldn't be fast-paced, exciting, or interesting? Just because you are some pretentious as.shole that didn't happen to like The DaVinci Code, it doesn't mean that it wasn't a good book, or that it was dumbed down. Not everybody likes to read books that flow like molasses in winter just to prove to other pretentious assholes that they have a long attention span.
So book shouldn't be fast-paced, exciting, or interesting? Just because you are some pretentious as.shole that didn't happen to like The DaVinci Code, it doesn't mean that it wasn't a good book, or that it was dumbed down. Not everybody likes to read books that flow like molasses in winter just to prove to other pretentious assholes that they have a long attention span.
HHahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH your inablity to have a discussion about a book without degenerating into name calling like a 8 year old doesn't exactly increase my confidence in your literary critizism.
HHahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH your inablity to have a discussion about a book without degenerating into name calling like a 8 year old doesn't exactly increase my confidence in your literary critizism.
Your inability to describe what makes a book bad, or describe you idea of a good book doesn't exactly lend credence to your arguments either. You seem to be pretty good at belittling others without providing any real substance to your theories. I have read a lot of "classical" works that are considered great literature, I have read a lot of modern novels, and I have read a lot of non-fiction. Dan Brown's work is great fiction. He grabs the reader's attention and holds onto it rather expertly, and he tells a hell of a good story. I can understand people denouncing his work because it does present some sacreligious topics, and he doesn't help his case by declaring that all of his content is based in historical fact. But I don't understand your claim that his writing style is somehow "dumbed down". People don't sell over 40 million copies of a book in modern times without it having some sort of merit.

I don't know if I can talk about this book without belittiling it's fan base. Mass appeal of a book only increases the likely hood of it being dumbed down, not decreases it. I'm bored and lazy and don't again really feel the need to break down a book that I hate, I'd rather talk about books I liked, but since you asked what I disliked about the book, Here's a book review from Amazon.com for DVC that I completely agree with.Seventy pages into Dan Brown's surprisingly putdownable potboiler, the inevitably green-eyed, French-accented code cracker Sophie Neveu sighs, "This is not American television, Mr Langdon." Oh, Sophie, if only that were true. You know a book owes too much to the screen when an albino assassin appears on the very first page, and rather than taking the time to construct an original variant on the intelligent-action-man hero you're simply instructed to think of Harrison Ford - in tweed. This is a movie, pure and simple: a thinly plotted, strongly visual, mildly entertaining Hollywood chase movie about cardboard characters (replete with sappy childhood flashbacks) and with enough Opus Dei-bashing to make it a fast-acting antidote to "The Passion of the Christ." Crammed full of supposedly arcane revelations about mathematics, religion, symbolism and art - most of which read like verbatim downloads from Google - the "intellectual" content won't be dazzling or new (forget accurate) to anyone even slightly inquisitive about these topics. Worse, it's presented with a juvenile fascination for "connections" that would embarrass the most seasoned New Age charlatan. It all moves at a cracking pace, of course, and has enough scope and colour to hold your rapt attention for a few winter nights, and enough Catholic conspiracy theory to warm the heart of an atheist. But it's so devoid of literary merit, so apparently committed to the squandering of every opportunity to do anything interesting with the material - rather than just ape the narrative grammar of cinema - that it truly beggars belief. The characters are just names on the page, huge swathes of deadpan "I'm glad you asked"-style exposition pad out the clunky plot shifts, and because it's all so closely modeled on the rhythms of Hollywood nothing ever comes as a surprise - not a word, not an image, not a moment. This is post-literate prose at its direst, plugging directly into pre-fabricated scenarios, characters and images, absolving the reader of the need to imagine anything - which is why it's such a famously easy read. This is reality as a simulacrum of television, a copy of a copy, and about as convincing. It's an odd stylistic choice in a novel which takes as its theme the notion that great art depicts truths which evil empires would suppress. My advice? Save your time, and wait for the movie, i.e. wait until this story is presented in its natural form. I'm actually really looking forward to it. Seriously. I quite like the story, I just dislike the way it's presented here. It's fundamentally a puerile novel, but as a Hollywood movie I'm sure I'll be tickled by it. In the mean time, if you want to read the kind of novel this purports to be, get yourself a copy of Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose" or, better yet, "Foucault's Pendulum". If those don't grab you, at the very least try Donna Tartt's "The Secret History" - nothing to do with the Grail, but it's certainly more deserving of the "intelligent thriller" label than this. Is there really nothing better to be said for "The Da Vinci Code", as novel? Sadly, I'm with Harrison - I mean Robert: "Langdon considered it a moment, then groaned." (p.93)All the qualities you say you like about the book, the fast paced ness and what not, are the qualities of a good action thriller, not a book. Again, like the book reveiwer, I think this book will make a decent movie, since the medium informs this book so greatly. This is a book for people who don't like to read, who think reading is boring, who have short attention spans, and yet still think they are intellectual because the book deals with "issues" Well it doesn't. It deals with about the most lame brained conspiracy/thriller plot I have ever read. This book is pure pulp fiction, and anyone who says it's a great book has never read one*****EDIT******If someone is wanting a good book to read, I suggest...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_Jest