I Called In Sick Today

i do have a doctorate. and in my opinion napa needs to realize that he's never going to be happy. once you've accepted that it's really easy to take pleasure in the little things, like getting a good nights sleep or no line at chipotle.

• Like 2
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

generate tax revenue, do your civic duty! saluting soldiers on the slides, etc.

pretty sure this will alleviate any need for you to figure out an exit strategy. the bosses will take care of that for you.

• Like 1

One of my best friends is on Welbutrin and something else. It killed their sex drive completely for a while, but was completely worth it because having healthy brain chemistry is better than having depression but blasting loads off left and right, I'd imagine. Plus their sex drive has slowly returned.

• Like 1

I think of mental health and therapy like diabetes. Some people need medication for life, some can go on meds for periods of time, and then manage with regular doctor appointments and exercise, and some never need medication.

I've been in therapy, no medication. I went at the ending of my marriage (should have gone earlier). I told my therapist I wasn't interested in the first appointment. At the time, I was super stuck in a sorrow rut, and one session I cried so hard, and so long I think my therapist felt sorry for me.

She brought up the possibility of a prescription at the end of the appointment. I declined and stewed about it for the two weeks until my next appointment. When I did finally have another appointment, I told my therapist her offer made me angry--like I had failed therapy. This narrow view of right and wrong, needing validation, etc. is part of why I'll go back.

A good friend of mine has been in therapy for most of her adult life. As a teen and college age student she was on anti-depressants. She hasn't been on them for the last 5+ years. She continues her talk therapy and is careful to get strong cardio 3-4 times a week.

Here's the thing about Therapy... almost all forms of therapy have the same success rates ( except for cognitive behavioral therapy which can be great for shit like specific phobia's and certain kinds of anxiety). Also, the level of education of the therapists have the same success rates, so the PhD has the same therapeutic success rates as the masters counselor ( and charges 5x as much). This is the type of shit that made me think twice about the profession. The only things that correlate to therapy's success are 1) The level motivation of the patient to get better 2) the level empathy the therapist is perceived to have by the patient. 3) The level of dysfunction in the first place. Being Depressed over something like a failing marriage, it can be wonderfully successful. Bipolar disorder, much less so. Schizophrenia? A witch doctor would be more effective than a therapist.

You shouldn't view it like you failed therapy.. you should view it as therapy is a failure. It's as effective as religion or self help books or anything else people use to trick themselves into being happy. Your therapist offered you medicine because it actually works and isn't a placebo effect like therapy is.

• Like 3
Also, the level of education of the therapists have the same success rates, so the PhD has the same therapeutic success rates as the masters counselor ( and charges 5x as much).

PhD doesn't earn you a prescription pad. For that, you have to go through a 10-year hazing ritual that forces you to be addicted to Adderall and live with crippling anxiety issues. Now THAT is how you develop empathy for patients.

• Like 1

You shouldn't view it like you failed therapy.. you should view it as therapy is a failure. It's as effective as religion or self help books or anything else people use to trick themselves into being happy. Your therapist offered you medicine because it actually works and isn't a placebo effect like therapy is.

Therapy worked for me in certain ways. I didn't lose my job, was able to talk about my grief and boring ass feelings with a disinterested outsider, and in general, helped me to regain my perspective. If and when I go back, it'll be for that last thing--I like the accelerated rate of rational thought and perspective.

Things that made me feel good somewhat short-term--burying myself in work, and my standard exercise routine. For the last couple of weeks, I've been running a little in the mornings (used to only walk). Oh, and in the last week I've been rewatching some of Mad Men (That's what the money's for!) and Friday Night Lights. Those two shows are getting me right in the feels.

Heroin cures depression instantly.

If opioids were available at la Farmacia in Mexico in the same way every other pharmaceutical drug is, I'd be living there full time.

Unfortunately, they're not and xanax just isn't worth the move.

• Like 1

PhD doesn't earn you a prescription pad. For that, you have to go through a 10-year hazing ritual that forces you to be addicted to Adderall and live with crippling anxiety issues. Now THAT is how you develop empathy for patients.

Yes and no. There's a push to grant prescription rights to non-medically trained PhD Psychologists. Apparently, they already can in New Mexico and Louisiana. Also, advanced Psychiatric Nurses have limited prescription abilities in almost every state, so if you're going to a PhD shrink who doesn't have one of those nurses, you're a rube. The push towards granting psychologist script rights is an admission by many states that Therapy is non-medical, non-scientific voodoo.

• Like 1

Heroin cures depression instantly.

If opioids were available at la Farmacia in Mexico in the same way every other pharmaceutical drug is, I'd be living there full time.

Unfortunately, they're not and xanax just isn't worth the move.

Go to a rural area, find a "pain control clinic," tell them your back hurts really bad, get a script. I get all kinds of shit by looking rich and asking for it. But this is a case of poor privilege. The poorer you are, the better your opioids. Everyone knows that.

Hank, that was definitely a missed opportunity, but not awful. Hopefully, you at least commented using the word "glistening" or "air-drying". You've got time to work on this one. Plant some tiny seeds, not big ass trees. We can do this

Anybody heard of the show on Showtime called Masters of Sex? A long time (my mother in law baby sat her as a child) friend (a MILF in the strongest sense of the word) of my wife told us about it when we were in Northern CA. The first season in on On Demand so we watched the first two episodes last night. It's the story about how Masters and Johnson did their sex study back in the 50's and 60's. Pretty interesting/fun show with lots of naked boobies.

My boss and I happened to be at the same store yesterday so we went to lunch together. Besides hearing about the Wisconsin job going to the person from Wisconsin I reminded her that 3 of the last 4 external hires for Regional positions were hired for the area they already lived in, including her. I told her that I had no doubt they knew going in they were going to give these last to positions to the DMs from the area and I, and the others, were there as part of a dog and pony show.

She doubted me until I reminded her of the situation last fall when 2 Regional managers were hired from outside the company and I and another DM here were assigned to train them. When we weren't even told the positions were open, much less given the opportunity to apply for them, and the other DM and I raised a stink about it. About the time I was half way through the sentence "So this was their way of hiring who they planned to hire all along while still making the rest of us feel like we were included in the process", she got this horrified/pissed look on her face and dropped a couple of S.O.B's.

Then she told me that the Senior over Wisconsin called and asked her to train new promotion from there which started her on a rant about how/why she's good enough to train all these new Regionals but her recommendation for open positions get's shit on.

I told her that I won't be a participant in the dog and pony show in the future. They know where I am and what I've done, if someone decides I'm the guy they want for an open position they have my phone number. Meanwhile, while not planning on leaving any time soon, I'm not going to automatically turn down other opportunities that might arise in the future as I have in the past.

• Like 1

so the other day, I had this idea about being a total ******* in the options market. basically, if you are willing to exercise a call out of the money and take a small loss, some percentage of the time, the guy on the other end of the contract is blindsided with a huge capital gains tax bill (he was writing covered calls on a big, low cost basis stock position). so I've been brainstorming for a PowerPoint presentation trying to position it as some patriotic, feel-good investing strategy. generate tax revenue, do your civic duty! saluting soldiers on the slides, etc.

Haha. I love you, Strat.