I Called In Sick Today

roof? bathroom floor caving in? etc etc etc? yeah, I mean I own it, but at this point the cost/benefit of fixing what needs to be fixed in order to make it liveable doesn't really make sense considering location, condition, my desire to not have to fix shit all the time, I could go on. but I don't seem to have much of a choice now anyways so whatevs. and just because I'm incredibly stupid doesn't mean I don't exist.
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I feel like it's been a while since I've donated a quality story, so here goes....My mother in law is 80 and has stage 4 Parkinsons, (only 5 stages). She lives alone but we have a lady that spends the day taking care of here. It's mostly her right side and she has to use a walker but she is still lucid and only very little dementia which is probably just old age. She goes up and down and has numerous falls but nothing real serious as of yet. She refuses to go to a nursing facility and given that she is in her right mind, there is nothing we can do about that. We have simply decided to do the best we can keeping her comfortable and safe while she is home.I've gotten her a bathchair lift, moved rooms and furniture, installed hand rails and pretty much anything I can think of to help her. She remains fiercely independant and mostly refuses to acknowledge her limitations though. That's good because it shows fight, but bad because she over estimates her ability.She is a strong little independent woman. She golfed until she was 75. At 72 she finished first in her age group in the local Thanksgiving run for the 10th year in a row. She keeps the neatest, immaculate house. You get the picture. Her downfall is an addiction to QVC. Obsessive behavior is a symptom of some Parkinsons patients, and I have had to threaten to put controls on her TV if she didn't quit buying crap, but it has gotten better over the last 6 months or so.Every morning I run and stop by and check on her . On Monday I went in and brought the chocolate milk she was demanding ( I have never seen her drink chocolate milk in 6 years), and I couldn't find her. Yikes! I was calling for her and getting panicky and then I found her on the kitchen floor laying straight out like a mummy. I leaned over and realized she was alive. Thank God... Then I slowly woke her and asked her what she was doing? She smiled warmly and said, "sleeping". Umm, any particular reason you are doing it on the kitchen floor? Happily, "No". Do you know how you got here? Did you fall? "No, I don't remember. Did you get my chocalate milk?"Oh great!! She most likely got out there with out her walker and she occaisonally freezes for short periods of time. With Parkinsons you want to will your feet or limbs to move, but the brain doesn't make that connection and you get stuck until it does. So she probably got tiired and stuck and finally just made her way to the floor, and couldn't get back up. Then eventually just fell asleep . She probably knows this, but wouldn't admit it to me.So I have a long talk with her about making sure she keeps her walker with her at all times and not doing too much for the 9 billionth time. I berate her about waiting for help to do anything strenous so she doesn't risk falling. You know, it's basically like scolding a child, but I usually can have her laughing as I do this. You can tell that as soon as you leave she decides she is going to do whatever the hell she wants.I think it is particularly difficult for her own kids dealing with her in this area. I know I lose patience with my own mom. She can drive me nuts over things (well, virtually anything) so there is probably something to being a little removed from that baggage. I guess that helps me deal with her with a little more patience. My wife has a really hard time keeping it together and not going off in particular. I tend to take it for what it is and make the best out of the situation. I do truly enjoy helping her for the most part and usually can make a good time of it. So, I stop by this morning and make her breakfast and coffee, give her her medicine etc. Then I mention that I can see she has been back on QVC and asked her what the huge package was that was dropped off by the door that I just drug in?She didn't know, so we opened it...circleglidehpi3.gifCGUpsellpieceslarge.jpg

Well, if it's free and clear I think there are two options here.1.) Instead of spending $1,000/mo to rent an apartment, spend that on repairsor2.) Take out a loan on the house, even if it was $50,000, fix it up, and make a small house payment:hEdUPNOorT0XW1s3j9QQ.png

If you could have any type of bear as a pet and it would never eat or maul anyone and would be perfectly happy with your current living conditions, which would you choose?Polar bear was my first thought, but I think they're ultimately just too damn big. Even with the stipulation that he'd be happy where I live, I feel like he would be kind of in the way a lot. Probably wouldn't fit in the car either.Then I thought koala bear because he could ride on your back like your own personal Yoda. But I don't think koalas are actual bears. So I think you gotta go panda bear here. Maybe sun bear if the panda is still too big.

I think I'd go with the smallest "bear" bear, whichever that would be...black bear maybe? I'd like to be able to rough house with him and have him put up a decent fight, but not so much I couldn't win everytime. Not like my stupid dog who can't even manage to get out of a simple headlock.Edit: if there isn't such a bear, I'd go with a grizzly so you could be all "I have a grizzly bear" and I assume he would be rideable? I feel like a panda bear would just sit there and basically be a conversation piece.

He stated earlier I think that the issue is that it needs a lot of work (time and money) to keep it in a livable condition and he is tired of it.
this. I will not spend money to fix this house, not now at least. it's almost to the point where it's not liveable, like could be condemned (I'd imagine they condemn houses for not having a bathroom, but hey, I could be wrong) and the cost to fix it is over $5k. if you add to that the fact that I desperately want to live in some semblance of a city and get out of the town I live in, then I'm really not sure why it's so crazy to want an apartment.
this. I will not spend money to fix this house, not now at least. it's almost to the point where it's not liveable, like could be condemned (I'd imagine they condemn houses for not having a bathroom, but hey, I could be wrong) and the cost to fix it is over $5k. if you add to that the fact that I desperately want to live in some semblance of a city and get out of the town I live in, then I'm really not sure why it's so crazy to want an apartment.
Can I ask roughly how much you pay for water/elec/and heat?
Hey, I'm sure "everyone" is very "concerned" about your "problems," but you didn't answer the bear question.
Can I ask roughly how much you pay for water/elec/and heat?
water is usually about $50 (if it's not leaking, then about $200) and elect is about $100 in summer and $200 in winter. is it cheaper in apartments? decent apartments I mean?
Hey, I'm sure "everyone" is very "concerned" about your "problems," but you didn't answer the bear question.
oops I forgot. I'll take the pygmy bear like steve. also: I liked that story randy.
If you spent $5k on repairs, don't you think you could sell your house for more than $5k? Getting a loan seems like a no-brainer, but maybe we don't have all the information.
water is usually about $50 (if it's not leaking, then about $200) and elect is about $100 in summer and $200 in winter. is it cheaper in apartments? decent apartments I mean?oops I forgot. I'll take the pygmy bear like steve. also: I liked that story randy.
Most apartments will pay for one, two or all three of your utilities so keep that in mind. We pay the heat(gas) and the water, tenants just pay lights. We pay one tenants lights and they run about 35 in the winter and $45-$50 in the summer. But the apartment across the street pays all utilities. Most apartments pay something. Another option is to rent a house. Sometimes you can get a decent house for the same price as an apartment but not have to deal with the apartment hassles like noise, asshole managers in the main office etc. Personally I hate living in apartments and since getting out of our house we have been renting houses. Mainly because we refuse to buy a house in Michigan because that is just a stupid idea unless you are prepared to stick with it till things turn around. But generally you have to pay all utilities and take care of the lawn and such but they will handle all repairs that might come up during your time there.
Another option is to rent a house. Sometimes you can get a decent house for the same price as an apartment but not have to deal with the apartment hassles like noise, asshole managers in the main office etc. Personally I hate living in apartments and since getting out of our house we have been renting houses. Mainly because we refuse to buy a house in Michigan because that is just a stupid idea unless you are prepared to stick with it till things turn around. But generally you have to pay all utilities and take care of the lawn and such but they will handle all repairs that might come up during your time there.
So you're more in the buy high/sell average crowd?
So you're more in the buy high/sell average crowd?
I don't know what you mean.Sure I can buy a nice house here in the craphole that is Detroit for very cheap. The house next to us is a good example. They bought the house for $550K 8 years ago. Now it is up for sale. Has been up for sale for close to 18 months. They are asking now $335K. Still no one is buying. We don't want to stay here. We are still here for 2 reasons. Waiting for Jin and my wife is giving her job one year before she looks elsewhere. The elsewhere is nowhere in the area. We either will look to move to Ann Arbor or out of state. Neither are an option for us now so no need to go spend $40K on a cheap house because we don't want to get stuck in the area waiting 2 years to sell the house and make like $10K. Renting the house gives us the ability to leave when we want to.I know most people who are set with their family, life, have jobs they like. and love the area, think renting is stupid but not every case is the same. If we had any intention of staying here for longer than 3 years then we would have looked at houses to buy but we have no desire to stay in our jobs or remain in this area. But just in case we moved to a very posh neighborhood a stone's throw from one of the best elementary schools in the county just in case we are stuck for a little longer than expected.
So I think you gotta go panda bear here.
I agree. They look like they'd be happy sitting around, doing basically nothing most of the time. I bet you could train one to sit perfectly still so you could convince people he was a stuffed animal chair, to scare the shit out of them when the "chair" grabbed them.
I think I'd go with the smallest "bear" bear, whichever that would be...black bear maybe? I'd like to be able to rough house with him and have him put up a decent fight, but not so much I couldn't win everytime. Not like my stupid dog who can't even manage to get out of a simple headlock.
Clearly the most optimal move would be to pull the "Westley on Fezzic".