I Called In Sick Today

And to put it in more context in terms of whether or not you think I'd find it worthwhile...I'll be returning to Italy within the next five years, pretty much only for the food. I guess walking around the cities and seeing historical stuff was fine too, but it's really just about the food for me.
Yeah, I would go back to Italy just for the food. Plenty of other stuff I loved too....but the food......so good.However, I really enjoyed the food in France, too (particularly a gem we found on the Ile de la cite (spelling probably wrong)). As much as I enjoyed Spain, I found their native cuisine to be a little boring. We had a lot of good meals in Spain but by the end of the trip we were branching out to Indonesian food and sushi.We also had great food experiences in Amsterdam but that could have been a byproduct of other things.Scandanavia, in general, was a gastronomic fiasco. We ate incredibly well in London by sticking to Indian, thai and other things. If you want, I can go back through our Paris scrapbook (my wife loves to scrapbook our trips....I am involved in a purely advisory role) and give you a bunch of recommendations. We spent about 5 days there.I agree with LG 100% about the French being rude, unhelpful, smelly, etc.
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I'm not sure why you skipped straight from Michelin'd restaurants to mediocre low-mid range restaurants...I think I'd be aiming for mid-high range (with the aforementioned starred joints being in the uber-high end range). I appreciate the response though. And to put it in more context in terms of whether or not you think I'd find it worthwhile...I'll be returning to Italy within the next five years, pretty much only for the food. I guess walking around the cities and seeing historical stuff was fine too, but it's really just about the food for me.I knew Spain was on that list, but I'm surprised you lumped Germany in there too.
I skipped mid-high range because they are really hard to find unless you're thinking of just going to real big urban cities. When I say low-mid range I don't mean like, chains or anything, just small local places with reasonable prices. Of course, if you're thinking of just going somewhere large and commerical like Paris, Lyon, Bordeaux etc then you'll get more range. If you're really into authentic French cuisine, maybe it's for you. Can't say I've ever seen an authentic French restaurant in America, but since you're a foodie I assume you know what you'd be letting yourself in for (veal, horse, offal, rabbit, snails, frogs legs, foie gras, lots of very rich food and wine-based sauces). If that's your style, a major city like the ones I've mentioned could be a good spot for you. I just don't get the appeal of that kind of food, but obviously I am a vegetarian and I hate the French.Having said that, Italy outstrips France by far food-wise in my opinion. In Rome, even low-mid range little family-run places offer exceptional food at very affordable prices. Of course, due to population density and immigration, anywhere you go in England you have a huge array of diverse restaurants representing every world cuisine. In that respect, I honestly don't think anywhere beats England. But, I guess for some reason you aren't interested in coming here, or maybe you just want to eat the same cuisine throughout the holiday.
Yeah, I would go back to Italy just for the food. Plenty of other stuff I loved too....but the food......so good.
I'm not sure I've had much happier times than walking around an Italian city or town for a full day, stopping only for a quick simple sandwich, and then sitting for a 3 hour meal including a few bottles of wine.
We also had great food experiences in Amsterdam but that could have been a byproduct of other things.
I really need to get out there some time. If/when I make it to France I definitely would appreciate those recommendations.
I skipped mid-high range because they are really hard to find unless you're thinking of just going to real big urban cities. When I say low-mid range I don't mean like, chains or anything, just small local places with reasonable prices. Of course, if you're thinking of just going somewhere large and commerical like Paris, Lyon, Bordeaux etc then you'll get more range.
I'd probably want to do a mix of the big cities and the smaller towns with their local restaurants.
If you're really into authentic French cuisine, maybe it's for you. Can't say I've ever seen an authentic French restaurant in America, but since you're a foodie I assume you know what you'd be letting yourself in for (veal, horse, offal, rabbit, snails, frogs legs, foie gras, lots of very rich food and wine-based sauces). If that's your style, a major city like the ones I've mentioned could be a good spot for you. I just don't get the appeal of that kind of food, but obviously I am a vegetarian and I hate the French.
Yeah, I live for that food and rarely get to enjoy it, which is why France is a big draw for me. If/when I go I'll probably ask you for a recommendation on which cities to hit other than Paris, since I really don't know much of anything about the country...I kind of (ok, definitely) thought that Paris was the only true metropolitan area there.
Having said that, Italy outstrips France by far food-wise in my opinion. In Rome, even low-mid range little family-run places offer exceptional food at very affordable prices.
Yeah...Italy. I need to go back. I didn't make it to Rome on my trip because my girlfriend at the time had spent a total of over a month there on previous vacations, so when I go back I think I might spend the majority of my time there so I can get at least a slight level of comfort. You know what city I really loved that doesn't get much good press? Genoa.
Of course, due to population density and immigration, anywhere you go in England you have a huge array of diverse restaurants representing every world cuisine. In that respect, I honestly don't think anywhere beats England. But, I guess for some reason you aren't interested in coming here, or maybe you just want to eat the same cuisine throughout the holiday.
I would like to get to England some time, but, honestly, it doesn't have that same kind of adventurous appeal as other areas of the world, for whatever reason.

Fuck it. I just emailed the Roman Cat Sanctuary to see if they have any summer programs for vet students. I don't have shit else to do this summer...might as well try to go where the good food's at.

From Roger Ebert's Twitter on April 28: Now that I know Noah's Ark landed on Mount Ararat, all I can think of are those poor little kangaroos swimming to Australia.Is this relevant to the current discussion? Maybe. I don't know. I haven't really been paying attention. I have, however, been reading this thread in which hblask has been handing people's asses back to themselves. Good read. Good times.

hblask has been handing people's asses back to themselves. Good read. Good times.
Good read indeed...hblask was certainly being very right. Some nice work from a handful of sickies as well.
Good read indeed...hblask was certainly being very right. Some nice work from a handful of sickies as well.
see, now why couldn't you have stayed in AZ to speak up on this one?give PORAC some credit for keeping it together as long as he did. that must be uncomfortable for lots of republicans... taking the position that more government intervention is the best solution to a given problem.
Fuck it. I just emailed the Roman Cat Sanctuary to see if they have any summer programs for vet students. I don't have shit else to do this summer...might as well try to go where the good food's at.
YAY Torre Argentina is my favourite place in the whole world! You can definitely volunteer there for looking after the cats, not sure if they take on vet volunteers since that requires proper qualifications but I think there's a really good chance. Even if you just volunteered for the general feeding, cleaning and looking after you would be able to at least observe a lot of different conditions. Awww if you go there you have to take lots of pictures of the cats and tell me how my favourites are doing. Also I'll tell you how to find my favourite little family restaurant in Rome with the best food I ate during my month long trip around Europe.
Yeah, I live for that food and rarely get to enjoy it, which is why France is a big draw for me. If/when I go I'll probably ask you for a recommendation on which cities to hit other than Paris, since I really don't know much of anything about the country...I kind of (ok, definitely) thought that Paris was the only true metropolitan area there.I would like to get to England some time, but, honestly, it doesn't have that same kind of adventurous appeal as other areas of the world, for whatever reason.
You'll have to hire a car and drive around a lot if you want to explore more than just the big cities in France, but I'm assuming that's fine with you since pretty much all Americans can drive.Having said that, if you visit France it's very easy to zip across to England. I get that since we speak the same language etc maybe it feels like less of an adventure, but if you come all this way I think visiting 2 countries is better. Anyway, you're probably going to Rome instead, I'm just saying. I know a lot of people who have come over to France and then caught the Channel tunnel across to London and flown back from there.
You have chosen to ignore all posts from: LadyGrey.· View this post· Un-ignore LadyGrey
This is how I experienced the above post:LG is ignoring brvheart.No, wait...I'm...ignoring LG?Oh man, did she somehow get my password and this is like some sort of practical joke? I wonder what sort of havoc she hath wrought...oh hey, I wonder what that post said....Heh.
This is how I experienced the above post:LG is ignoring brvheart.No, wait...I'm...ignoring LG?Oh man, did she somehow get my password and this is like some sort of practical joke? I wonder what sort of havoc she hath wrought...oh hey, I wonder what that post said....Heh.
I think that's exactly how everyone experienced it, especially the brvheart bit.
I found this more intriguing than it was probably meant to be.
This has always bothered me since I was a little kid. Knowing more about the nature of space-time only makes the problem worse.
This has always bothered me since I was a little kid. Knowing more about the nature of space-time only makes the problem worse.
What problem?
I think that's exactly how everyone experienced it, especially the brvheart bit.
That's not how I experiened it. Here's my thought process:LG's ignoring LG? What...I don't care.
This has always bothered me since I was a little kid.
Heh.
Knowing more about the nature of space-time only makes the problem worse.
How so*?*in 30 words or less
I don't get the final panel.
So then you don't get the whole thing?
It's just explaining the joke.
It's not a joke, man. That shit's, like, deep and real and shit.
That's not how I experiened it. Here's my thought process:LG's ignoring LG? What...I don't care.
Ya, that's how I read it.SidenoteOne take home final, one final case, and one final exam...gob-dazzles-the-crowd-with-his-unique-brand-of-magic_468x3121.jpg
That's because you view this forum as a place to talk about things and stuff and not as an internet playground like I do.I just googled "internet playground" and apparently someone wrote a book called "The Internet is a Playground." I then googled the author and apparently he's the guy who does the seven-legged spider blog.I don't know why I'm using the word apparently in the above. I don't think any of that is in dispute.
I don't know why I'm using the word apparently in the above. I don't think any of that is in dispute.
I use "apparently" the same way you do, and I don't think it's incorrect. The word doesn't necessarily...uh...suggest...er...ambiguity. Apparently the previous sentence was difficult for me to construct.
It's just explaining the joke.
So then you don't get the whole thing?
No! I get it. I was just joking. *shuffles uncomfortably*I mean, I'm assuming that it's just saying that since the earth isn't in the same spot as it was when he left the future earth spot, then that is why he's out in the middle of space. But I think I'm missing something.

What are you, a...some kind of...marketing...with your...I'm in another brain-moosh phase. This is going to be a long 4 weeks. Physiology, Pathology, Anatomy, Physiology...then I'm done!