I Called In Sick Today

I know that historically the "small business is the back bone of America" speeches are mostly just pandering with no real intent of doing much of anything for actual small businesses behind them but I fear that without some lifelines for actual small to medium size businesses all we'll have left after things normalize is big box retailers and chain restaurants. 

• Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

1 hour ago, hank213 said:

I know that historically the "small business is the back bone of America" speeches are mostly just pandering with no real intent of doing much of anything for actual small businesses behind them but I fear that without some lifelines for actual small to medium size businesses all we'll have left after things normalize is big box retailers and chain restaurants. 

Yep. I fear all these small bars and restaurants will go under and all we’ll be left with is shitty corporate Applebee’s and TGIF’s knockoffs.

when we get a vaccine and back to normal I bet bars and restaurants will have their best years since prohibition ended and it will be sucked out of the communities to the people who had the capital to swoop in afterwards. 

• Like 1

"remove the lockdown restrictions, let go of the businesses that can't survive on their own, and do what you can to brace for the recession."

100%.  And for the love of all that is holy, let the airlines die this time instead of bailing them out.

"I hate that Trump is the guy representing my viewpoint on the big stage."

x2

Yeah, that’s gonna be tough as we are starting to see actual hospitals hit overflow capacity. Hopefully it stays very whac-a-mole and we can deal but the total hospitalization trend doesn’t look great, at the moment. 

just wear a dang mask, people! Jeez. 

Unfortunately I think lockdown fatigue is setting in. It’s a very tough sell for the 20-40 year old demographic. I really doubt it would be broadly observed if the politicians tried to force a step back in the direction of shutting down.

People here wear masks. Lot of obstinate idiots here, it’s surprising. 

Yeah it’d be impossible to go back to super duper lockdown at this point.

I saw some graphic a month or so ago that said some astronomical amount of testing and also a really high level of positive tests but literally zero hospitalizations or deaths among the college kids tested at that point, which is nuts. You would think that there would be some amount of higher risk individuals that were hospitalized or even just some of those random cases of healthy people but maybe they self-isolated to avoid caching it. Or maybe it was all #fakenews. I didn’t really do any checking of the source material. 

• Like 1

It truly sucks you have no idea what's real anymore. I have one friend who echoes Suited's stances on most things, and he'll bring up a "point", and the amount of time and effort it would take to prove or disprove that point is just not worth it, because there's a dozen other arguments just waiting there. And the same with anything I say. I have no idea what's real! What percentage of "studies" are bought and paid for? Feels like its at least 95%. So none of them are worth anything. I never read Essay's debilitatingly long arguments, but you'll notice he goes out of his way to use CNN/MSNBC news stories, because it's a non-starter to quote OAN or Fox. It's all awful. 

• Like 1

If this happened in like 2017, it would have been more likely to be treated as a public health thing, rather than a contentious right vs. left thing. To have this in an election year was just brutal. Happy that it seems to have resulted in a moderate dem President as a solid rebuke to the antagonistic idiocy of the Trump administration. It could easily have been worse. 

Yes, medicare for all would have been awful during a pandemic.

I don't know if it would have worked! But speaking as a benefit administrator, the current system is ****ing evil. 

Potential new team member is for some reason dragging their feet. I can train someone else internally or hire externally but this would be the easiest on me. And it would put this person in a position not to be a secretary for the rest of their career.

None of this “figure out what you want to do and explain that to your boss” behavior came naturally to me, so I’m cutting her a little slack here, but I’m also drowning in work. 

19 hours ago, Theraflu said:

the current system is ****ing evil. 

It is. 

How did it get super evil so quickly?  In 2006 or 2007 I bought an insurance policy that covered my wife and kids for $90/month and had a total yearly out of pocket deductible of $2500, which I remember thinking was really high.  I would kill one of my kids to have that policy now.

I don't know the real answer, but it mostly feels like because they can. My premiums went up 16% two years in a row back in 2014ish. 

It's great fun to read stories from other countries that are basically, "we go get a procedure done for the cost of the cab ride, and then go home and google what it would have cost in America."

• Like 1

On average premiums have gone up mostly the same % on average pre/post Obamacare. But it’s hard to compare since a lot of pre-Aca plans didn’t cover shit or had maximums and whatever. 

I just know I love worrying about losing my job and not being able to afford medicine or healthcare or the chance of not even being able to be covered because of my pre-existing conditions. 

That's the last thing you should worry about.  If you lost your job you would be covered by medicaid, like all people with low incomes.

On 3/29/2020 at 10:09 PM, Essay21 said:

Finally watched the revenant. Holy shit this movie is boring. Looks great but the movie kind of sucks. 

Totally agree.

Mostly if I cite cnn I’m doing it to make a point that media bias runs as far left as people claim Fox News runs right. I don’t recall specifics though.  

inthe case of corona I would be doing it to say this is the worst they can come up with and it’s not even that bad because...

Not sure I've had a less-fun 4 hour experience than watching every up-in-the-air state post all their mail in ballots early, watch those Dem leads easily slide away, and end with "Welp, let's see tomorrow," with a best-of-3 scenario in play. 

I am really surprised it’s this close. I was bought into the blue wave theory, and what really worried me was that we might not have gridlock for a while. Can’t believe how bad dems are at this game. When your opponent is dealt a pandemic, you’re supposed to win. 

• Like 1