• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

and after 3 days, he is risen!

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

Broke quarantine yesterday to do T-day shopping. I've been less than impressed with grocery delivery services. I swear they leave stuff off just because it's heavier than a box of cereal or something. Now desperately trying to rush thaw a whole bird since they were out of just turkey breast options. I'll likely be hitting the scotch for breakfast so by the time we're supposed to eat I should be well lubricated. 

Happy no good deed goes unpunished day everybody.

• Like 1

I knew I was probably done with the relationship after yesterday, so I left it alone. We watched a movie, the food was good, etc.

Broke it off last night. The distance sucks, two hours round trip is extremely limiting. She was super nice, would have continued if not for the distance. I told her this, was very nice about it of course. She’s an Asian girl in decent shape, so she will have other dates lined up immediately, I’m sure.

I kind of figure, it has to almost be perfect to justify the length of time that it was going to be long distance (minimum of two years). I’m probably spoiled a little, used to the other girl being five minutes away. This girl was just kinda lazy, stuff like not wanting to use google to figure things out. Who knows, maybe it could have worked if she was local. 

On 11/20/2020 at 9:03 PM, Theraflu said:

I don't know where you ****s get your podcasts, but should you be incredibly bored, I've been doing a music one for the last couple months with some friends. Most reviews range from "not bad" to "okay," including one friend calling me "surprisingly tolerable."

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/yes-this-is-podcast/id1531815557

its on most other platforms as well, near the top of the "yes this is podcast" query.

We're doing some Talking Heads tomorrow night.

Sorry to hear about you losing your butterfly sponsors.  :(

There were a few deals lately on Chipotle, so now I have $80 in gift cards. I’m really exploring the menu.

Worked the whole weekend, did great on my diet / exercising, and my place is pretty spotless. I am at about 165-167 now, which is a little above where I’d like to be. I was so close to hitting 160 back in July, when I started dating the girl.

I’m re-writing my term policy. Premium is going down almost $400 a year based on my health rating going up. Beautiful.

In about two weeks, the girl is done with school, and her kid will be with the grandparents. I am pretty excited about this.

I forgot to mention. I’m launching a new business line for my firm, as the operations lead on it. A much, much bigger firm in KC is doing the same thing, and their recruiter called me to talk about putting me in that same seat for them. I don’t think it’s hugely likely to happen, but if it materializes into something, it would be really hard to pass on it. They just have a much bigger footprint and sales team, so my volume would be insane. Stressful to start, until a team could be built out. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Theraflu said:

Wild crash in Bahrain. Pretty amazing he got out, wasn't unconscious, seems okay. 

Yeah that was crazy. I initially missed the wreck because I was watching Kimi (didn’t know at the time, I’m not that attentive) going off the track on the other side and then all of a sudden a big explosion. Can you imagine just sitting in that seat for the 20+ seconds it took him to get out?  Unreal. 

And then stroll getting rolled, which was just kinda funny since he wasnt hurt. I don’t care for him. And then poor Perez, man. I hope he finds a seat next year. I wouldn’t care if he was in the redbull seat but I also really want to see Hulk in that car and get himself a podium even though I have no idea why they would.  There was a lot of talk about him earlier in the season on r/F1 but haven’t seen much the last few weeks. I’m also assuming Albon is done for even though he’s been good these last two races. 

1 hour ago, brvheart said:

That's awesome Strat!  I hope you get it.

Yeah, the experience would be super good. I have been a lot more direct about what leadership experience I’m not getting, the promotion I have felt I should get for several years, etc. so it isn’t some surprising development if/when I put in my notice. Same line I’ve used in the past: if I am going to be a grunt, I can get that sort of job at any firm, so why wouldn’t I go be a grunt in KC?

We will see how it all goes. 

2 hours ago, Theraflu said:

Naps, we got George Russell filling in for Lewis. That seems very weird! 

Yes, it seems like a very strange thing to happen in the top racing league of the world and I am excited to see what comes of it. I’m projecting a p5-7 finish for Georgie. I’m curious how the steering wheel will work because his Willians is much different than the Mercedes wheel but I don’t know how interchangeable those things are. Can’t wait! (Also a speedy and full recovery to Lewis, obviously.). 

I'm surprised we have so many racing fans here.   This place is a really small sample size and like 30% are major major fans of something I know almost nothing about.

My son who moved to Iowa to attend Iowa State now has a serious girlfriend.  This is the first time as a family we will be meeting with an SO of one of our kids.  It's weird that they are getting so old.  They are coming out to Chicago for a visit on Thursday - Sunday.  I'm looking forward to meeting her, but... it's weird.  If I had to guess I would say they will be married within 2 years, and I would take the under on that.

I just got into it these last few months. It started with watching the Netflix show, Drive to Survive, when I was a bit squiffy, and that bore a legitimate interest after two seasons. Plus Angry Steve is always popping up on my Facebook feed with it. Also a GQ article (or maybe someplace else) from Drew Magary about the American who now runs the Maclaren team. It just all kind of came together. Plus races are generally less than 2 hours, so it's a quick weekend morning watch.

To those interested in Black (specifically Caribbeans) treatment from British cops over the years, the new Steve McQueen "movie" series on Prime called Small Axe has been really good. Second episode is a bit different, as its basically a sensual party, but the 1st and 3rd I both really liked a lot.

• Like 2

I followed the exact same path to F1 as thera, save for the Magary article on Zac Brown but maybe I need to look it up. I don’t think he comes off particularly well in DTS so I’m curious to read it now. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Theraflu said:

I think he comes off better on the show? He's a real pompous American **** no matter what. 

I just assumed the magary article was a puff piece. 

2 hours ago, hank213 said:

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Herman Miller Aeron but who knows when it will ship. 

Congrats. Have you sat in one before?  My buddy got one this spring and had problems with getting cramps in his hamstrings so he got a steelcase to replace it. I got an aeron a few months ago and had some issues with cramping but haven’t had any since I started working out more often (with a lot of focus on stretching and foam rolling and drinking more water).  So, um, hope you don’t have those problems!

• Like 1

My Mirra is fantastic.  No regrets whatsoever.

HR pushed back on the job listing for my new direct report.  Said, because she would no longer have direct reports, she should be downgraded to a lower bonus target.  I said basically, I'd like to avoid building in any caveats to this job offer, if we can.  The HR director then explains to me, "well, some people in the organization are actually at a higher bonus level than they otherwise would be, just based on the projects they do for the organization.  So I think we can work around it."  In other words, a direct reference to me and my situation.

Here's a brief summary of the situation:

1. HR director wanted to downgrade my direct from 10% to 7%
  2. HR director explained to me that my bonus target should really be 7%, not the 10% I'm at, if we were doing things by the rulebook
  3. HR director is at 15%, and our mutual boss says everyone that reports to him is at the same level in the org

So, this morning, I just laid it out for my boss in our 1:1, and he immediately said, "no, this is an oversight, you will be moved up to 15%.  I'll take care of it."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1