I Called In Sick Today

The oil change should be 20-30, unless you took it to a dealer, then it will be 50.

CA price adjustments are messing with my brain.

I don't understand what planet you live on where an oil change can be $20.

I realize I drive a hoss, but still

• Like 1
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

what was $40?

on the list of things to not put off until you're forced to fix it, timing belts are pretty high up.

I got new oil and filter, the check of the hoses, tire pressure, etc. There's a hazardous materials charge, labor, and total bill is $42.76.

They said I could drive on the timing belt the way it is for a few months, and the location of changing it is labor intensive. (I knew that much going in.) The lady in the office quoted for parts and service for that $1100ish. I suggested adding in my 100K check up to whatever other labor they would do for the timing belt issue. My mechanic is open Mon-Fri. I like him, but the hours take planning on my part.

It's a 2004, the VIN is djUterus, I keep the keys in the hutch, and have a child's bedtime.

I read the comments, I think I was not ripped off, but some of you think I could have done it myself cheaper.

• Like 1

You got a really good deal on today's services.

$1,100 seems steep to replace a timing belt but maybe Hyundais are really hard to get to. For $1,100 you could buy all the tools, watch a YouTube tutorial, do it yourself and still come out $600 ahead.

• Like 3

You got a really good deal on today's services.

$1,100 seems steep to replace a timing belt but maybe Hyundais are really hard to get to. For $1,100 you could buy all the tools, watch a YouTube tutorial, do it yourself and still come out $600 ahead.

The mechanic took a $40 hit on the oil change in hopes of getting a $700 bonus on the timing belt (which if it hasn't been changed, should be immediately).

• Like 3

what was $40?

on the list of things to not put off until you're forced to fix it, timing belts are pretty high up.

This. I think newer cars don't have such tragic endings to broken timing belts but I had one break on a Honda Accord once. Had to have the engine rebuilt.

I don't understand what planet you live on where an oil change can be $20.

I realize I drive a hoss, but still

The same planet where 12 Long Island iced teas doesn't get him drunk.

I got new oil and filter, the check of the hoses, tire pressure, etc. There's a hazardous materials charge, labor, and total bill is $42.76.

They said I could drive on the timing belt the way it is for a few months, and the location of changing it is labor intensive. (I knew that much going in.) The lady in the office quoted for parts and service for that $1100ish. I suggested adding in my 100K check up to whatever other labor they would do for the timing belt issue. My mechanic is open Mon-Fri. I like him, but the hours take planning on my part.

$1,000 sounds ridiculous. I would make a few phone calls to get other quotes. I would be surprised if it were more than $350 or so max.

My girl BFF, non-FRAU division, has an Elantra, too!

Me too! Mine was free and is a 2002. Will be getting rid of it this summer I think.

• Like 2

Frau, I stalked around a couple other forums and saw prices from $300 - $400. One guy said he was quoted $1100 and that was because they were going to replace the water pump, tensioner and do some other things while they had it apart.

Frau, I stalked around a couple other forums and saw prices from $300 - $400. One guy said he was quoted $1100 and that was because they were going to replace the water pump, tensioner and do some other things while they had it apart.

Hi! Yes, this!! Thank you--they didn't write down the estimate, and this is what they said to me. The labor to get to belt is significant, so usually they recommend the water pump, etc be done at the same time.

• Like 1

how does one drive an old Elantra to glamorous donor events?

I'm the hired help. I dress up nice, have good clothes and jewelry, and also always park where the employees park.

It's an odd feeling, being "friendly" with these people, and knowing the relationship is so one-sided. It's a bell curve, most are nice, some are truly wonderful, and have genuine interest in my life, my outlook, etc.

Well basically, the steering wheel controls where you go and the pedals control when.

JLL, thank you for the car advice upthread. The mechanic has glowing reviews online, and in my social circle--it's why I started taking my car there for oil changes. I know I could go somewhere a little closer, but I like using a small business, and I wanted to establish a relationship with a reputable place before I really needed it. My new goal is to get my taxes done by end of this month, and my car done by end of April.

This car has weird emotional issues for me. When I split with my ex, he and I were sharing one car (Scion XA). I gave him the car immediately (and kept almost the entire contents of our apartment). I was in a really low point of my life, and did it without a car for 5-6 months. When I needed one, I would rent one for a weekend. Anyway, I got wound up about buying one outright, because I was trying to avoid monthly bills--because getting to and from different dealers wasn't super convenient without a car, etc.

While I've never really loved this car, I really like the freedom it gives me. I don't drive a whole lot in my weekly routine, but I like knowing I can get up and go when I want.

• Like 1

Frau, how is it you avoid driving? Mass transit or do you live close to where you work? I thought a car was imperative for LA.

What about these events you go to at night?

I think I'd love some big city living. Nice condo in a high rise, little shops for food, local bars and restaurants.

Although, now with a dog, I wish I had a big ass fenced in yard. Ours is smaller and has a pool taking up most of the space