I Called In Sick Today

Can someone define jeepstering for me? Is it just being an asshole to someone?
It's when they blatantly ignore a user who starts posting in here in hopes they will get the hint and go away. I still haven't taken the hint.
  • Replies 268k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

yeah i get that. it just seems to me that the state level is an arbitrary one (for the FFs to have chosen, mind you), and that no matter what you're going to end up pissing people off, so why not pick the level that allows for the greatest good. that may be the state level, i don't know, i just find it interesting. its not like everyone is going to wait to see which state they agree with, then move there, so you're still going to have a lot of pissed off people in each state, and a bunch of states whose rules don't agree with each other.that's my first impression, anyways. i won't pretend to have thought too much about this.
I totally agree with you here, but it has to be divided in some fashion and any smaller than state level would get everything way too Middle Eastern. However, one positive.... it would make it easier for all these people always threatening to move to Canada, a la Susan Sarandon. They could just move to a different state. I do think there would be more of that. I agree with you that there would not be a lot, but I do think it would increase every time state power was increased. Also, a bunch of states already have rules that don't agree with each other, and it's working ok.
I am aware that the constitution does this, but that's not a good reason. "Because the constitution says so" is a terrible answer for "Why is the state level the best for determining how to govern?" Why does the constitution say so?
I agree with this, because maybe they got it wrong. Who knows. What do you think is the best level for the good of the people?
I totally agree with you here, but it has to be divided in some fashion and any smaller than state level would get everything way too Middle Eastern. However, one positive.... it would make it easier for all these people always threatening to move to Canada. They could just move to a different state. I do think there would be more of that. I agree with you that there would not be a lot, but I do think it would increase every time state power was increased. Also, a bunch of states already have rules that don't agree with each other, and it's working ok.I agree with this, because maybe they got it wrong. Who knows. What do you think is the best level for the good of the people?
So a gay couple gets married in California (as I believe they're allowed to do now) and moves to Denver (where being gay is esentially illegal). Is the marriage recognized? Do they get the same benefits they would in California as a married couple?As an outsider, i've always been fascinated by Americans sanctification of states' rights. From the outside, ya'll project a unified 'USA' front. But inside, it seems like you're 50 tribes arguing about the good grazing pastures.We (Canada) have a stronger central government than you, i think. Although education and health care are provided by the province, there are certain standards that must be met and often the funding is provided by the federal level.
my friend lives in LA to go to the LA film school. maybe he's just in a real bad spot, but it sure sounds like traffic is unbearable there. I can see how that might not be such a big deal for some people, but for a small towner like me, it's just infuriating to deal with.
That's one of the few things I'm worried about when I get out there. Traffic and crime. LA's not the safest area.
I agree with this, because maybe they got it wrong. Who knows. What do you think is the best level for the good of the people?
I doubt that the state level is (although I may be wrong and can certainly see advantages to it), but really the idea that the state level was chosen because it was the 'best for the good of the people (as a whole)' is wrong, isn't it? The state level was chosen because it was the only way to get the states to agree to present a united front from the outside - allow them to be as divided and self-interested as possible from within.
So a gay couple gets married in California (as I believe they're allowed to do now) and moves to Denver (where being gay is esentially illegal). Is the marriage recognized? Do they get the same benefits they would in California as a married couple?As an outsider, i've always been fascinated by Americans sanctification of states' rights. From the outside, ya'll project a unified 'USA' front. But inside, it seems like you're 50 tribes arguing about the good grazing pastures.We (Canada) have a stronger central government than you, i think. Although education and health care are provided by the province, there are certain standards that must be met and often the funding is provided by the federal level.
Yeah, it's really not like that. Most of the big offices -- Senate, House of Representatives -- are divided and allotted by state, but almost all the decisions they make are national. The biggest problems actually end up being the pork that senators and State Reps write into federal bills, trifling but costly amendments that senators attach to important pieces of legislation at the last minute so their home states can get ridiculous benefits, which they can use to improve their chances for reelection.State governments have power, but most people I know can't name their representative in the state senate, or any important state-appointed officials. As a country, we are much more concerned with the operations of the Federal government. The Federal government also has a LOT of power over the states. The Federal government is not allowed to legislate on certain state-controlled issues, but they can force the states in line by withholding discretionary funding. I remember a while back that Louisiana wanted 18 to be the age of majority with respect to getting all fucked up on booze. The Federal government did not approve, so they just withheld highway funding. Louisiana fell right into line.The Founders wanted the states to have significant power, because they were afraid of a strong central government removed from concern for its people. That would be all well and good, but 19th century notions about the balance of power between the state and federal governments have long since been obliterated. The Federal government has access to too much money for the states to have any semblance of autonomy.Fin.Wang
Yeah, it's really not like that. Most of the big offices -- Senate, House of Representatives -- are divided and allotted by state, but almost all the decisions they make are national. The biggest problems actually end up being the pork that senators and State Reps write into federal bills, trifling but costly amendments that senators attach to important pieces of legislation at the last minute so their home states can get ridiculous benefits, which they can use to improve their chances for reelection.State governments have power, but most people I know can't name their representative in the state senate, or any important state-appointed officials. As a country, we are much more concerned with the operations of the Federal government. The Federal government also has a LOT of power over the states. The Federal government is not allowed to legislate on certain state-controlled issues, but they can force the states in line by withholding discretionary funding. I remember a while back that Louisiana wanted 18 to be the age of majority with respect to getting all fucked up on booze. The Federal government did not approve, so they just withheld highway funding. Louisiana fell right into line.The Founders wanted the states to have significant power, because they were afraid of a strong central government removed from concern for its people. That would be all well and good, but 19th century notions about the balance of power between the state and federal governments have long since been obliterated. The Federal government has access to too much money for the states to have any semblance of autonomy.Fin.Wang
Everything in this post is correct. The bolded part is the saddest.
The Founders wanted the states to have significant power, because they were afraid of a strong central government removed from concern for its people. That would be all well and good, but 19th century notions about the balance of power between the state and federal governments have long since been obliterated. The Federal government has access to too much money for the states to have any semblance of autonomy.Fin.Wang
You can blame the war against Northern Agression for that!
I was going to stop the poli-sci session but this is a very good post. When our gov was founded, states were each individual colonies that ran independently of each other, they wanted to keep that integrity. Also the electoral college was instituted before TV and radio so the presidential candidates would visit states like Montana that had very little population, because their votes matter to a certain extent.There are certain laws that should be allowed for town/city/county/state/federal level.For instance speed limit laws are different for different states. The hours and places you can sell alcohol are different. Obv as said before capital punishment, other various degrees of crimes. Marijuana possesion in ca of under an ounce I believe is now a misdemeanor (I could be wrong on that) in another state on the east coast the same amount is a felony and punishable by minimum one year in prison (dont remember which one).The issue Wang brings up with federal funding and state manipulation was one of the things the founding fathers were trying to avoid, but with ammendements and federal laws a mile thick its all convoluted. USA's government has a breaking point. I don't know if it is 20 years away or 200 years away, but its needs to be stripped down and rebuilt, because adding laws and governmental procedures without changing and deleting old ones has gotten everything pretty muddled.
State governments have power, but most people I know can't name their representative in the state senate, or any important state-appointed officials.
I'm not sure much more than 50% of the population could name their district's member of the House of Representatives, much less state legislature. Also, I know one guy in the state senate that hangs out with my parents but absolutely none others, or really anything about the state legislature...ignorance is bliss baby.In other news I'm putting off studying for the CPA exam all weekend to go to Chicago and Milwaukee and booze. Long term decisions are really not one of my strengths. Hopefully I'll pound some vag and have a good story for you guys (not likely).
USA's government has a breaking point. I don't know if it is 20 years away or 200 years away, but its needs to be stripped down and rebuilt, because adding laws and governmental procedures without changing and deleting old ones has gotten everything pretty muddled.
Everything will change once Skynet takes over.

How do you reply to a person who sits there and tells you how she had to foreclose on her house and it's now just her and her daughter since the other 4 died. They have no furniture because the husband died in bed and the son died on the couch and the other son died at the kitchen table. The whole time she is laughing about it probably because if she didn't she would bawl but I have no idea how to react to that. It's terrible, but I didn't need to know it and I don't care.So Liz and I are finalizing our cross country road trip itinerary and it looks like I will be in Vegas 7/30 and 7/31. I have never been, what part of the strip is the best part to stay as we use hotwire and they never give you the hotel only the area like south strip, west strip, north strip, etc.

How do you reply to a person who sits there and tells you how she had to foreclose on her house and it's now just her and her daughter since the other 4 died.
ask her to guess how many segment of carpet you have in your office.
How do you reply to a person who sits there and tells you how she had to foreclose on her house and it's now just her and her daughter since the other 4 died. They have no furniture because the husband died in bed and the son died on the couch and the other son died at the kitchen table. The whole time she is laughing about it probably because if she didn't she would bawl but I have no idea how to react to that. It's terrible, but I didn't need to know it and I don't care.So Liz and I are finalizing our cross country road trip itinerary and it looks like I will be in Vegas 7/30 and 7/31. I have never been, what part of the strip is the best part to stay as we use hotwire and they never give you the hotel only the area like south strip, west strip, north strip, etc.
I am a degenerate, so I have found it doesn't matter. As long as the room has AC and a bed, it's all the same to me. If you are anything like me, you'll be in your room for a total of 9 hours the entire trip. Pick the cheapest place and taxi-cab it up.
How do you reply to a person who sits there and tells you how she had to foreclose on her house and it's now just her and her daughter since the other 4 died. They have no furniture because the husband died in bed and the son died on the couch and the other son died at the kitchen table. The whole time she is laughing about it probably because if she didn't she would bawl but I have no idea how to react to that. It's terrible, but I didn't need to know it and I don't care.
H-O-T-W-I-R-E HOTWIRE dot commmm
Ummmm, how did they all die? Was it at the same time?
How do you reply to a person who sits there and tells you how she had to foreclose on her house and it's now just her and her daughter since the other 4 died. They have no furniture because the husband died in bed and the son died on the couch and the other son died at the kitchen table. The whole time she is laughing about it probably because if she didn't she would bawl but I have no idea how to react to that. It's terrible, but I didn't need to know it and I don't care.
I'd tell her to get off of my chair.
I will be in Vegas 7/30 and 7/31. I have never been, what part of the strip is the best part to stay as we use hotwire and they never give you the hotel only the area like south strip, west strip, north strip, etc.
vegastips.jpg
is it hot in kansas? because you just got BURNED!
it is really hot in kansas right now. for non-WoW reasons.
The Founders wanted the states to have significant power, because they were afraid of a strong central government removed from concern for its people.
this sentence confuses the hell out of me, but I quoted it because I think I agree with it. Maybe. Also, that example you cited about louisiana was what I linked in the post that started this whole discussion. the system has undergone a constant process of consolidation since before the civil war, accelerating at times of crisis. we complain about bush taking a dump on the constitution... have a look at some of what lincoln did.