Can anyone say if that movie about Stu Ungar that came out a two years ago was good ? I saw the DVD but wasn't sure, the reviews I read online were mixed so I'd like to hear what others think.

Can anyone say if that movie about Stu Ungar that came out a two years ago was good ? I saw the DVD but wasn't sure, the reviews I read online were mixed so I'd like to hear what others think.
it was god awful...you know a movie is bad when vince van patton is the best actor...
it was god awful...you know a movie is bad when vince van patton is the best actor...
couldn't say it better myself. there has been a few threads about it. quick search should give you an idea.

isnt there a movie coming out about stu unger, where michael imperioli plays stu? he's christopher from the sopranos.. i'd think he might do well with that role.. who knows..

isnt there a movie coming out about stu unger, where michael imperioli plays stu? he's christopher from the sopranos.. i'd think he might do well with that role.. who knows..
That is the above mentioned High RollerI don't think it was as bad as a lot of people in this thread were saying, it's worth one watching, because of the gin rummy scenes :-)

Umm that's the movie they're talking about.I disagree with the general consesus. I don't think it was great, or even lived up to its potential, but it's a solid watch when it comes on Starz latenight. It's okay, but as a poker fan/player you'll want more.Imperioli did a good job though. He's got the strung-out thing down.

The big blind was better than the ungar movie. wtfconfused.gifI was hyped to see this for a long time and was waiting while they went through all of the distribution problems.Then finally I got to see it before it was even out on dvd, I seen it on Starz! channel. (that was the first hint, that it was going to suck)I couldn't kidd myself into saying this is a good movie..... it just wan't at all.very disappointingroflbarf.gifThere are so many classic stories I have heard about Stu and A.W. Vidmer didn't even show or talk about any of them. He was too focused on Stu's heritage than the man and the stories that made him the man that he is was

In high roller it was made and seemed like everything in the movie occured in the time span of a week. This didn't sit well with me and there really should be another better movie done about him.

California Split is quite simply the best poker movie of all time... Silly ending, but even that can't spoil it.also, if you haven't seen Let It Ride starring Richard Dreyfuss... Rent it. It's not poker, but it is gambling and it's fantastic.Anyone seen the Stallone poker film yet?Cheers

yah that movie suck.. imperioli did a good job acting though. they had the right idea but it seemed like they just didnt know where to go with it. it didnt show enough poker... it always shows him strung out or with a hooker lol. they could have shown a little more poker.

The good apart about Cincinnati Kid is the opening scene where he calls down the tough guys bluff with a pair of eights. The rest of the movie is just sleezy, boring and certainly does not emphazise the skill in the game. I mean, its just ridiculous that the champ catches a straight flush in the last scene. Judging from that I guess poker is pure luck. I really dont like the end. I guess it's partly because Im not a big fan of 5 card stud, but nevertheless...

California Split is quite simply the best poker movie of all time... Silly ending, but even that can't spoil it.also, if you haven't seen Let It Ride starring Richard Dreyfuss... Rent it.  It's not poker, but it is gambling and it's fantastic.Anyone seen the Stallone poker film yet?Cheers
ya, saw it. not that bad, but the whole thing was about ways to cheat, so that was disappointing.