Random Entertainment Observations

I...can't stop disagreeing with people.

I enjoyed the film also, was kind of doubtful that the police etc were that inept in real life back then...but then again they could have been.
You seem to distrust government in general, so this is surprising to me. But yes, I'm pretty sure police have been very inept and/or corrupt at certain times and places.
So I am going to say "You do realise the film Changeling is based on a true story, ergo the police actually were that inept in real life back then?"
I think that "based" is the keyword here that would allow him to have a legitimate argument. Although I did enjoy your response options for him.Must...stop...disagreeing....Actually, I don't really disagree with you.
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

say that to LLY 's face like a real man

Oh my ****ing GOD! http://deadline.com/2015/04/bob-odenkirk-david-cross-sketch-comedy-series-netflix-1201403256/   Bob is not only in the best Drama on tv, but he's going to be in the best comedy t

You misspelled insipid.

I no longer know when you are joking and trying to bait people, or when you are making another ridiculously erroneous statement. It is impossible to tell, because you have a habit of making such a statement, then denying that you meant it when someone calls you out on it.So I am going to say "You do realise the film Changeling is based on a true story, ergo the police actually were that inept in real life back then?"You will then do one of the following:a.) Claim that you were joking and wanted to see how people would reactb.) Fiercely defend your original statement without providing any actual evidencec.) Try to twist the meaning of what you said so that my response no longer appliesd.) Ignore me because you don't know how to counter
e. explain to you what I meant because you seem to immediately assume I can't be making sense?I will go with a combination of D and b
I...can't stop disagreeing with people.You seem to distrust government in general, so this is surprising to me. But yes, I'm pretty sure police have been very inept and/or corrupt at certain times and places.I think that "based" is the keyword here that would allow him to have a legitimate argument. Although I did enjoy your response options for him.Must...stop...disagreeing....Actually, I don't really disagree with you.
Yea, it was more that I find it hard to believe that anyone could turn down a mother's need so callously...But the ability to be a jerk isn't in my nature so I am often shocked when I see it happen.
Yea, it was more that I find it hard to believe that anyone could turn down a mother's need so callously...But the ability to be a jerk isn't in my nature so I am often shocked when I see it happen.
The true story part was what fascinated me so much. I looked into it for a few hours after I saw the film. All the stuff about the police making her "try out" the boy she knew wasn't his in order to save face, and having her committed when she tried to tell them it wasn't her boy and she didn't want him, that's all true. It is hard to believe, but you have to believe it because it is a proven fact.
The true story part was what fascinated me so much. I looked into it for a few hours after I saw the film. All the stuff about the police making her "try out" the boy she knew wasn't his in order to save face, and having her committed when she tried to tell them it wasn't her boy and she didn't want him, that's all true. It is hard to believe, but you have to believe it because it is a proven fact.
You do know that based on a true story and a proven fact are not always in the same room don't you?I have to ask you know..because

I thought this was interesting:"The story is just so bizarre that you need something to remind you that I'm not making this stuff up. So it seemed important to me to put in those clippings because you reach the part of the story where you go, 'Come on he's got to have gone off the rails with this.' Turn the page and there is indeed an article confirming it, which is why, in terms of writing the script, I [hewed] very close to the facts. The story is already extraordinary enough."—Screenwriter J. Michael Straczynski placed newspaper clippings into physical copies of the script to remind people it was a true story.Also:Straczynski claimed that 95% of the script's content came from the historical record.And:So the credits could present the film as "a true story" rather than as "based on" one, Straczynski went through the script with Universal's legal department, providing attribution for every scene.But this is from the internet, so, you know.

You do know that based on a true story and a proven fact are not always in the same room don't you?I have to ask you know..because
Obviously in different instances "based on a true story" may mean the film is loosely based on a story or as accurate as possible while still being a film where the characters are portrayed by actors. In this case, the film is as close to factual as it can be without being a documentary. The facts which the film is based on are proven, and the film sticks to those facts vigilantly. In other words, I don't see your point, really. It is certainly possible for me to write "based on a true story" on one slip of paper and "a proven fact" on another slip of paper, then put each of them in seperate rooms. Consequently I would have to agree with you that those two phrases are certainly not always in the same room.
I thought this was interesting:"The story is just so bizarre that you need something to remind you that I'm not making this stuff up. So it seemed important to me to put in those clippings because you reach the part of the story where you go, 'Come on he's got to have gone off the rails with this.' Turn the page and there is indeed an article confirming it, which is why, in terms of writing the script, I [hewed] very close to the facts. The story is already extraordinary enough."—Screenwriter J. Michael Straczynski placed newspaper clippings into physical copies of the script to remind people it was a true story.Also:Straczynski claimed that 95% of the script's content came from the historical record.And:So the credits could present the film as "a true story" rather than as "based on" one, Straczynski went through the script with Universal's legal department, providing attribution for every scene.But this is from the internet, so, you know.
The funny thing is that I can believe the evil the murderer did, and the way he went about it. I can believe that cops threw their wives in mental institutions to prevent having to lose face for them divorcing them, and I can believe that a mother would search for her child for a long time.I just couldn't get behind the notion that once the cops got past their 'she's a crazy woman who forgot what her son looked like' defense they would still choose to tell her to go away because they were more worried about their reputation.The ability to live under a highly corrupt police department seems foreign to me, something that would only happen in a communist country you know.
Obviously in different instances "based on a true story" may mean the film is loosely based on a story or as accurate as possible while still being a film where the characters are portrayed by actors. In this case, the film is as close to factual as it can be without being a documentary. The facts which the film is based on are proven, and the film sticks to those facts vigilantly.
So says you.I would be willing to bet that the real woman in this story wasn't as intelligent as the character Jolie played. And as such I wouldn't doubt that she was a shrill screamer who was easily discounted because she was a woman of ill repute, being a single mother and all...
In other words, I don't see your point, really. It is certainly possible for me to write "based on a true story" on one slip of paper and "a proven fact" on another slip of paper, then put each of them in seperate rooms. Consequently I would have to agree with you that those two phrases are certainly not always in the same room.
You know how many people say they don't get British humor. Sometimes it's because it's not funny.
But the ability to be a jerk isn't in my nature so I am often shocked when I see it happen.
More lies!
You know how many people say they don't get British humor. Sometimes it's because it's not funny.
Hey, LG, did we talk about the fact that I saw one of "your" comedians, Eddie Izzard, and he was awesome? Well I did, and he was.
Yeah he is very good, a lot of us are. Did you see him on TV or on stage or what?
He played the Boston Garden last week...it's the first comedy show I've seen in a venue that large. I definitely prefer small clubs, but he was great.

Changeling's in my queue. I hope I remember to come back and read that extensive exchange. If I do remember, at least I won't have to highlight spoiler tags.

Changeling's in my queue. I hope I remember to come back and read that extensive exchange. If I do remember, at least I won't have to highlight spoiler tags.
I think this post was a passive aggressive snarky thing, like we all discussed the movie and spoiled it for you.Well, if that's the case then don't worry because we didn't even go into the real plot, everything we mentioned happens early in the film to establish the plot. You'll still have plenty of surprises if you watch the film.

From DeadlineHollywoodDaily Beverly Hills, CA — Nine films will advance to the next round of voting in the Foreign Language Film category for the 82nd Academy Awards®. Sixty-five films had originally qualified in the category. The films, listed in alphabetical order by country, are: Argentina, “El Secreto de Sus Ojos,” Juan Jose Campanella, director; Australia, “Samson & Delilah,” Warwick Thornton, director; Bulgaria, “The World Is Big and Salvation Lurks around the Corner,” Stephan Komandarev, director; France, “Un Prophete,” Jacques Audiard, director; Germany, “The White Ribbon,” Michael Haneke, director; Israel, “Ajami,” Scandar Copti and Yaron Shani, directors; Kazakhstan, “Kelin,” Ermek Tursunov, director; The Netherlands, “Winter in Wartime,” Martin Koolhoven, director; Peru, “The Milk of Sorrow,” Claudia Llosa, director. Foreign Language Film nominations for 2009 are again being determined in two phases. The Phase I committee, consisting of several hundred Los Angeles-based members, screened the 65 eligible films between mid-October and January 16. The group’s top six choices, augmented by three additional selections voted by the Academy’s Foreign Language Film Award Executive Committee, constitute the shortlist. The shortlist will be winnowed down to the five nominees by specially invited committees in New York and Los Angeles. They will spend Friday, January 29, through Sunday, January 31, viewing three films each day and then casting their ballots. The 82nd Academy Awards nominations will be announced on Tuesday, February 2, 2010, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater. Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2009 will be presented on Sunday, March 7, 2010, at the Kodak Theatre.

I really want to win my Oscar pool this year, so I'm thinking about trying to see some of these.Also, "The World is Big and Salvation Lurks around the Corner" sounds like it could be a follow up to DMX's "It's Dark and Hell is Hot."

I bet there's a lot of "entertainment" people here that don't listen to the Bill Simmons podcast. If you don't, he had Jason Reitman on a couple days ago and they talked a lot about Up in the Air and I thought it was really interesting.You can listen to it here. Or through itunes or however you get your podcasts.Interesting tidbit from it: if he couldn't get George Clooney to sign on, his next choice was going to be Steve Martin, while admitting that it would've been a much different movie with him in the lead role.

haven't listened to that podcast yetMacGruber is not a good SNL sketch. might make for a decent flick though
I agree. I don't understand why they keep going on with it. I usually fast forward through it.That being said the trailer for the movie doesn't look bad lol. I like how Val Kilmer looks like Steven Segal. A fat Steven Segal.