you know you're playing a fish when he says...

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heads up in a 20 man SNG, both me and the other guy are about even at 10K each and the blinds at 100/200 (yeah i know we got to heads up fast) one of his friends in the chat goes "Man these blinds are small, with your chipstacks you guys should be playing like 1000/2000." To which his friend replies "yeah, this is gonna take forever." 3 hands later he tried to slowplay a set of 7's on a 6 7 9 flop. Turn was a 5, and my 98s was good for the straight and he missed the river
I have a bro that does the same thing, well have like 1500 in chips the blinds will be like 20/40 and he'll say"this is stupid, the blinds are way to low, they blinds should be 100...yeah, he just says 100....then when I get knocked out the go to to 100 blinds and always look at a free flop

SnG that just happenedpick up 95 in BB checkA92, I check MP bets minimum, I callturn 9, I check he bets minimum again, I raise he goes allin, I callhe has 33, river 3Later, heads up, against same guy.QJ on button, raise, he re-raises minimum, Icallflop QJ2, He moves in I call he has AK, turn, Tnext hand, he lips I check with 68 flop 976, he bets, i raise he calls. Turn, T he goes allin, I callhe has 97, river 9afterwards "wow, the way you play you must lose a lot"

cant quite remember the hand, but this guy river a str8, with 4 hearts on the board. Its checked to him and he bets twice the pot. All fold, he shows the str8"risky bet""had the str8""but there were four hearts on the board, youre only getting called by a flush, or the higher str8""I had good insticnts and though everyone would fold, plus I wasnt gonna call the raise""Then why did you bet, you were only gonna lose money""Its the way of the game"I have no idea what he is smokingbut I want some

me trying to explain how poker is a skill gameme - "poker is a game of making correct decisions, like the other day i made an awsome laydown of trip qs to a gut shot straight that some guy hit on the turn"fish- "but did you win that hand?"me- "no, but thats what im trying to explain to you, you see- *fish cuts in*fish- "see you didnt win the hand u just proved my point that poker is all luck"

me trying to explain how poker is a skill gameme - "poker is a game of making correct decisions, like the other day i made an awsome laydown of trip qs to a gut shot straight that some guy hit on the turn"fish- "but did you win that hand?"me- "no, but thats what im trying to explain to you, you see- *fish cuts in*fish- "see you didnt win the hand u just proved my point that poker is all luck"
You should of explained to him that not losing money is basically the same as winning money

Finally, I have a quote too, and it's a classic that's probably come up in this thread a dozen times or soComing from a guy with a VP$IP >60% who lost 25BB to me in about an hour or so:"easy to play good hand thats all u play" :club:

5-10 limit holdem.I have Kc Qs on the button.Board comes Ks 5s 3s.I bet, CO calls.Turn 2hCO checks, I bet, he calls.River 10sCO checks, I bet, he calls.CO shows As Kh.Someone asked im if he realised he had the stone cold nuts. He said yes. The same person asked him why he didn't bet or check raise, he said: "He wouldn't have called".

TECHNICALLY noone said anything but if you see this you know you are playing multiple fish...------HAND 5------Game #1739214473: Hold'em NL (15/30) - 2006/03/03 - 03:57:50 (UK)Table "Tourney 2042954 - 1" Seat 6 is the button. Seat 1: Stella73 (1510 in chips)Seat 2: Raresoul (1480 in chips)Seat 3: Vadi16091 (1720 in chips)Seat 4: Emopunk (1340 in chips)Seat 5: paperjam (1705 in chips)Seat 6: COLBY (2780 in chips)Seat 7: semibluff (840 in chips)Seat 8: efish (1500 in chips)Seat 9: *stm* (1400 in chips)Seat 10: Theman010 (2145 in chips)semibluff: posts small blind 15efish: posts big blind 30----- HOLE CARDS -----dealt to Emopunk [9h Ad]*stm*: foldsTheman010: calls 30Stella73: calls 30Raresoul: calls 30Vadi16091: foldsEmopunk: raises to 90paperjam: calls 90COLBY: raises to 840semibluff: foldsefish: foldsTheman010: calls 810Stella73: foldsRaresoul: foldsEmopunk: foldspaperjam: calls 750----- FLOP ----- [Kc 9s Kd]Theman010: bets 30paperjam: raises to 865 and is all-inCOLBY: calls 865Theman010: calls 835----- TURN ----- [Kc 9s Kd][Qd]Theman010: checksCOLBY: bets 1075 and is all-inTheman010: is all-in 440Returned uncalled bets 635 to COLBY----- RIVER ----- [Kc 9s Kd Qd][7d]----- SHOW DOWN -----COLBY: shows [5s 5d] (Two Pairs, Kings and Fives, Queen high)Theman010: shows [Ks Js] (Three of a kind, Kings, Queen high)paperjam: shows [7c 4c] (Two Pairs, Kings and Sevens, Queen high)Theman010 collects 880 from Side pot #1Theman010 collects 5310 from Main pot----- SUMMARY -----Total pot 6190 Main pot 5310 Side pot #1 880 | Rake 0Board [Kc 9s Kd Qd 7d]Seat 1: Stella73 folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 2: Raresoul folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 3: Vadi16091 folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 4: Emopunk folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 5: paperjam showed [7c 4c] and lostSeat 6: COLBY (button) showed [5s 5d] and lostSeat 7: semibluff (small blind) folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 8: efish (big blind) folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 9: *stm* folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 10: Theman010 showed [Ks Js] and won (6190) with Three of a kind, Kings, Queen high

"I don't understand how I lost, I had 888AA"random guy after going out 4th in a NLO8 SNG with the board reading 8 8 A 8 J
another PLO storyboard is x44J4A pots itB min raisesA min raisesB min raisesA callsA showed AAxxB showed Jxxx
You should of explained to him that not losing money is basically the same as winning money
i did but he remained stubborn and said how? if you dont win it then your not making money.....
i'm a foxwood pro.
lol, that one is funnydont know if ive added this one befor but its too funny so ile do it again if its already there.i was playing some chic heads up.i was staying aggressive and just buying pots from her.after a while she said: you know your being really really rude?me: umm sorry???her: yeah, raising it all the time when you have a good hand is ok, but doing it all the time when you have nothing is just being plain rudedont worry guys i busted her lolboard K 9 J 9 J with 3 heartsit was down to 2 players in the hand.it went bet raise reraise reraise about 40 times. one dude shows K Q for 2 pair K and J other dude shows 10 4 of hearts for a flush.....

Hi guys. been lurking around here for quite a while, figured I'd finally post. read a whole bunch in this thread.. entertaining. fairly new to poker. been a recreational gambler for probably about 7-8 years, just blackjack and craps mostly - hobby level stuff. got intrigued by poker, haven't really played for real yet other than a few home games. like Daniel's style of play (and his skill), figure I can learn a thing or two here @ fcp before I dive in. really cool forum, have certainly learned alot already.Been playing "play money" on party poker for a few months, get some feel for what its all about. Best so far is 6th in a 4500 person MTT, and 571st in a 8000 person freeroll last night. Hope to jump into some real money games sometime soon...just don't want to get burned hard early on and get soured on it. Anywho - Saw this in a (playmoney) MTT, and immidiately thought of this thread. hopefully its a good first post :D (I think its obvious who I am in this.) ***********300/600 (missed the deal in the cut and paste...)pegrock folds.nughead30 folds.Pocojo calls [600].smokeUqwk folds.EmptyGenius folds.palaciosapd folds.metsrgood31 folds.wyshadow111 folds.TheseNuts4u2 calls [300].TheOmen16 checks.** Dealing Flop ** [ Qc, 5s, 5h ]TheseNuts4u2 checks.TheOmen16 checks.Pocojo checks.** Dealing Turn ** [ 3s ]TheseNuts4u2 checks.TheOmen16 checks.Pocojo checks.** Dealing River ** [ 3h ]TheseNuts4u2 checks.TheOmen16 checks.Pocojo checks.TheseNuts4u2 shows [ 6h, Jh ] two pairs, fives and threes.TheOmen16 shows [ Ad, 4s ] two pairs, fives and threes.Pocojo shows [ 9s, As ] two pairs, fives and threes.TheOmen16 wins 900 chips from the main pot with two pairs, fives and threes with ace kicker.Pocojo wins 900 chips from the main pot with two pairs, fives and threes with ace kicker.SmokeUqwk: folded 3 of a kind but what can u doTheOmen16: if you folded 3 of a kind you folded a full house....****he had absolutely no comment :club:

Hi guys. been lurking around here for quite a while, figured I'd finally post. read a whole bunch in this thread.. entertaining. fairly new to poker. been a recreational gambler for probably about 7-8 years, just blackjack and craps mostly - hobby level stuff. got intrigued by poker, haven't really played for real yet other than a few home games. like Daniel's style of play (and his skill), figure I can learn a thing or two here @ fcp before I dive in. really cool forum, have certainly learned alot already.Been playing "play money" on party poker for a few months, get some feel for what its all about. Best so far is 6th in a 4500 person MTT, and 571st in a 8000 person freeroll last night. Hope to jump into some real money games sometime soon...just don't want to get burned hard early on and get soured on it. Anywho - Saw this in a (playmoney) MTT, and immidiately thought of this thread. hopefully its a good first post :D (I think its obvious who I am in this.) ***********300/600 (missed the deal in the cut and paste...)pegrock folds.nughead30 folds.Pocojo calls [600].smokeUqwk folds.EmptyGenius folds.palaciosapd folds.metsrgood31 folds.wyshadow111 folds.TheseNuts4u2 calls [300].TheOmen16 checks.** Dealing Flop ** [ Qc, 5s, 5h ]TheseNuts4u2 checks.TheOmen16 checks.Pocojo checks.** Dealing Turn ** [ 3s ]TheseNuts4u2 checks.TheOmen16 checks.Pocojo checks.** Dealing River ** [ 3h ]TheseNuts4u2 checks.TheOmen16 checks.Pocojo checks.TheseNuts4u2 shows [ 6h, Jh ] two pairs, fives and threes.TheOmen16 shows [ Ad, 4s ] two pairs, fives and threes.Pocojo shows [ 9s, As ] two pairs, fives and threes.TheOmen16 wins 900 chips from the main pot with two pairs, fives and threes with ace kicker.Pocojo wins 900 chips from the main pot with two pairs, fives and threes with ace kicker.SmokeUqwk: folded 3 of a kind but what can u doTheOmen16: if you folded 3 of a kind you folded a full house....****he had absolutely no comment :club:
Do you want to come play in my game sometime?
:club: I'm not even sure about playing for real money yet, let alone playing anyone from this forum for real money......
Yeah, you don't want to play in my game. I was kidding.
Been playing "play money" on party poker for a few months, get some feel for what its all about. Best so far is 6th in a 4500 person MTT, and 571st in a 8000 person freeroll last night.
bad idea.
so what do you reccomend
playing with squirrels is better than play money on PPpeople callin 3 allins with 74o.People call 100+xBB allins with QJohow is this getting a feel for the game?
I go all in with KK for roughly ten times the BB. SB calls and turns over 8D9D and tells me and I quote "I had to call I have a straight flush draw". Flop comes KS7DJD turn blank river 10D. Looks at me with a straight face and says "see no way I could lay it down." Gotta love poker sometimes.
Tritz plays live????
playing with squirrels is better than play money on PPpeople callin 3 allins with 74o.People call 100+xBB allins with QJohow is this getting a feel for the game?
it was a serious question. read ___'s book. play some 1/2. start out _______. don't play _______. go play live befoer starting online....looking for some good adviceI've heard that playing low limit 1/2 is useless too sinec eveyone just calls everything since the limits are so low. dunno for sure - never played. point is, like playing, don't want to spend a ton of $$ and don't know really where to start either.... and again, don't want to get burned. the getting the feel is more from playing against last 3-4 people at the table. they play much more realistically. there is always 1 or two people that go all in early, stupid moves...just for shits and giggles, but it happens everytime. basically, I had no idea how to play poker 2 months ago. now, I have a better idea e.g. I'm not going to follow a AK down in flames just because its a great starting hand or i now know that when your two pair looks good, and a rock re-raises you back to back, somethigns up, even if you can't figure out exactly what. I have just have an overall better feel for the game, how things flow, what a hand is really worth, differences in play at a full table vs a 3-hand table....etc. etc.maybe the answer is stop overanalyzing it and dive in. but seriously, reading this forum makes me think that I will be at a significant disadvantage going in. I certainly don't play in terms of EV, or generally analyze the game the same way you guys do. In a nutshell, its fun to think about, but fairly intimidating.

omen---when i started out playing play money with all my friends and we thought we were the best lolbut watching other people play real money online was probably the best learning tool i receivedI have to say my brothers are all pretty good poker players and I learned more than any book could teach me watching them play...they were able to explain the stuff as they go, pot odds, styles of play, odds, ectyepmy advice is either making small deposits online or finding a mentor to teach you